Change for MSG for Pea Ridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Change for MSG for Pea Ridge

Has anyone noticed that most of the people posting on this thread aren't doing MSG? (Don't stop on my account)
    With all this nostalgia about the Silver Grays who's in for Athens?...and before any of you can belly ache about the long drive or the heat I'm serving in the ranks.
    Frank Aufmuth
    Frank Aufmuth
    When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Frank,

I will once again be crewing the log cannon at Athens with two other Silver Gray alumni, Dave Bennett and Bill Jordan. We are a "splinter faction," though, (or at least we will be when the gun blows up :D ) as the other Silver Grays who have spoken of attending will, I believe, be participating as Home Guards.

Kip
      Kip Lindberg

Comment

What Home Guard company are they going to be with? Mine (Kahoka Home Guard) or the Holmes?
        Nathan Hellwig
        AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
        "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

This old "Silver Gray" plans on falling in with Holmes. But please don't tell Frank I don't want him getting upset with me for posting on this Thread and not doing MSG.
          Robert Clanton

“Given that the vast majority of Americans have never heard a shot fired in anger, the imaginative presentation of military history is vital, lest rising generations have no sense of the sacrifices of which they are beneficiaries.”

George Will

Comment

MSG rules! Frank is now commanding every MSG event for the next 10 years.
            Mitchell L Critel
            Wide Awake Groupie
            Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Don't worry Robert I don't know where you live (Yet!)

You won't have to worry about me at Athens either, but look out for my kids. I showed them your picture and told them they you were the guy that smased up their sand box a few years ago...
              Xavier and Pompey are pissed. Be afraid, be very afraid.
              Frank Aufmuth
              Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Frank,
                You are calling down the heat of the world famous Bob Clanton...Better watch it man!

Bob,
                In terms of Xavier, just make sure there is some fresh hot cut rod for MSG cannister shot laying around...he will pick it up and run.

I'll see you boys around at Pea Ridge...in some sort of impression. I might be bringing my Zouave impression. CIVILIAN Zouave of course!
                Mitchell L Critel
                Wide Awake Groupie
                Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Frank I was just kiddin' around no need to call the wrath of your boys down on me. They scare me almost as much as Mitch's civilian Zouave impression.
                  Robert Clanton

“Given that the vast majority of Americans have never heard a shot fired in anger, the imaginative presentation of military history is vital, lest rising generations have no sense of the sacrifices of which they are beneficiaries.”

George Will

Comment

If that scares you Bob, wait until I dance atop the tavern by fire light...
                    Mitchell L Critel
                    Wide Awake Groupie
                    Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

There we go leave it up to Mitch to remember the "bar shot incident."
                      I just told the boys I made a mistake and that it was actually Mitch. His name has been inscribed in the Wreted Clan, St. Louis Chapter's book of hate.

Xavier was a little younger back then but because he was 4 years younger he thinks it was you, Mitch, that burnt him with that hot piece of iron. I'm sure he'll get even some day after puberty kicks in.
                      Frank
                      Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Frank,
                        The truth about your son and the hot steel at Wilson's Creek has been documented elsewhere, and for your AC reputation I will not post it here, but the sorted story is well known among the Ground Hornets as is your ruthless behavior and whistle.
                        Tom Yearby
                        Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Looks like I'm getting no help here. carry on.
                          Frank
                          Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Tactics

Ok Kip
                            I meant to IM you but I didn't have the time to look up your address.

Tactics. Earlier in 1861 we know some of the MSG were using Scott's.
                            However I know that Bevier mentions getting a copy of Gilham's sometime around Lexington. Is there any reason we should not go with Gilham's. The Bevier quote is the latest mention of tactics I have b een able to find between the summer of 1861 and Elk Horn Tavern.
                            Thanks for your help
                            Frank Aufmuth
                            Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Frank,

I know of two references to the use of Scott's in the MSG during Spring/Summer of 1861- one from Burbridge's regiment and one from a State officer handling requests for drill manuals.

Bevier wrote that in the summer of 1861 he observed one of the St. Louis companies (either the Grays or the Blues) at drill, and was fascinated by how they would move from two ranks to a column of fours at "Right Face." And as you said, at the time of Lexington, he obtains, "with infinite trouble," a copy of Gilham's. "By Christmas," he wrote, " {I] had one of the best-drilled regiments [5th Infantry, 3rd Division, MSG] in our Brigade."

Since Gilham's and Hardee's are so similar in the school of the company it's hard to tell what drill Bevier observed with the St. Louisians. I know Hardee's manual was available in St. Louis in the spring of 1861 as Sigel's men were provided locally-printed, German language editions.

So it would seem that all three manuals were available to these men in 1861.

I don't have any documentation for why you should or should not go with Gilham's (or for that matter Hardee's) for the weekend, especially if any of your men are unfamiliar with Scott's. When it comes to the manual of arms, however, you'll probably have to improvise anyway. None of these authors could foresee the need for a drill to cover a mixed command with flintlock and percussion weapons, common rifles and double barrel shotguns.

Good luck!

Kip
                              Kip Lindberg

Comment

Kip
                                In 1858 the Militia in St. Louis under orders from Gen. Frost first changed uniforms from the varied colored tail coats and other strange milita uniforms that made each company unique, to the dark blue frock coats and shoulder scales. Then got rid of their old muskets that had been converted to percussion in favor the the newer m1855 Springfields and finally they switched drill manuels. Scott's to Hardee's. I believe it was Joseph Boyce that described the change as "Oh wonder of wonders." Kelly's Company was in fact using Hardees. But I guess Gilham was the only thing Bevier could get his hands on.

Now there are some minor details in Gilhams that make it different from Hardees. One that they give different commands for Rifles and Muskets in loading in 9 and 10 times. Percussion muskets are loaded in 10 times. Between the commands, "Return Ramrod" and "Prime" they added "Cast About."
                                Also when firing from the shoulder Arms the musket is brought up in front of the body, perpendicular to the ground at "Ready". I'm sure there's some other more subtle differences that others could point out but those are the two big ones.

Oh yeah and "Shoulder Arms" and "Carry arms" are on the left shoulder.
                                It's so nice going back to more conventional impressions where I can just give one set of commands and stack arms.
                                Frank
                                Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Working...
                                X