Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To the Men of the Pioneer Platoon

Men of the Pioneer Platoon,

Thank you for giving me such a fantastic experience this past weekend! In doing this hobby for 21 years, this past weekend was a first for me. I appreciate your confidence in me, and again I will say, it was a tremendous honor for me to have marched with you this past weekend. Our small platoon, made up from so many different mess and individuals, came together as a unit and solidified more quickly than any I've participated with in the past. Unity of purpose and desire made the Pioneers the best unit on the field this past weekend.

Special thanks go to Steve Acker and the event hosts for allowing us this experience. Steve gave us the "rope" to act as an independent pioneer command, worked with us to do the things we desired while at the same time working our abilities into the expectations and needs of the battalion.

Special thanks also goes to Nate Petersburg for his willingness to step up and lead as platoon sergeant after a "long winter's nap." And, as expected, his abilities and leadership weren't even rusty! I hope we all see more of Mr. Petersburg in the near future.

Also, thank you to each of the corporals for ably leading your sections. Each of you did a fantastic job!

Last, but not least is a big thank you to each of the men who did EVERYTHING that was expected and asked of you and more, without a single complaint or question. You worked through the heat, through short rations, and through bloody blisters to make the experience better for EVERYONE at the event. Simply OUTSTANDING!

The Pioneers worked as a TEAM and MADE things happen - not only with axes, but with rifles as well, to protect the battalion, when it needed you! Who else double quicked, after felling trees and hauling head logs, to defend a position and then counter attacked hurling the enemy back in a disorganized route? TWICE!

I look forward to marching with each of you again, and I hope we will all wear the crossed hatchets again as a unit.

Until next time, when it will be my pleasure to serve with you all again, I am,

Patrick Craddock
    late 2nd Lt., Com'd'g Pioneers
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bushrod Carter; 06-02-2008, 03:30 PM.
    PATRICK CRADDOCK
    Prometheus No. 851
    Franklin, Tennessee
    Widows' Sons Mess
    www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Re: To the Men of the Pioneer Platoon

Pat,
    Those Boys did real good.

Comment

Pat,

Those Boys owe me 20 rounds.:)

Best Regards,

The twice captured,
      Rick Gath
      First Sibley Mess
      New Madrid Guards
      WIG

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Honorary Jonah for Life[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Boys,

The sound of chopping axes and falling trees REALLY put me in the right place and time on Saturday night. I cannot complement the Pioneer Platoon more. You guys were awesome!
        Yours, &c
        Adam Clark
        -Pumpkin Patch Mess

"I really feel that we've stepped into our ancestor's shoes, but... those shoes suck."
        Connor Clune

Comment

As being part of the pioneer platoon, I can say I had an excellent weekend. It was a great experience and hope that I will be able to participate in something like that again in the future for I will be keeping my crossed axes!

Here's to all the pioneers!
          Evan Isaacs
          River Rats Mess
          ONV

Comment

I declare the Pioneer Boys sure do make good guards for us Jonnies! I want to thank you boys for making my captivity a memorible one.
            [SIZE="4"][FONT="Impact"]Jason Thibodeaux[/FONT][/SIZE]
            Independent Rifles
            Swamp Angels
            Pelican Civil War Lodge #1861

Comment

Thanks for all of your hard work on that "Ferry Crossing".
              Paul Calloway
              Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
              Proud Member of the GHTI
              Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
              Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Y'all looked good this weekend.Y'all did a great job building works to hold us off.Too bad we couldn't return the favor of holding a few of y'all captive.
                Cullen Smith
                South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Pat,

Thanks for the opportunity to do something I've always wanted to do. The weekend exceeded my most ambitious imaginations.

Reb prisoners,

Thanks for being good sports.

Platoon-mates,

I haven't had that much fun at a LH/reenactment in a long, long time. Wannnna play check?
                  Daryl Black

Comment

From the creek crossing, to the putting up our works during the battle, to assisting us in giving what for to our jean cloth chums, thanks you. Seeing a group jell as quickly and as tightly as you guys did in such a small amount of time is a direct result of good people led be good people. Way to go Pat, Nate and the rest for you guys added another layer to the event, a layer guys will talk about for a long time to come.

Steve Acker
                    Only 3 ticks so far. Aftaid to look where the sun never shines

Comment

Great Job guys, specially Saturday Evening, however I still can't get the picture of you boys pushing back the Confed attack. I think I may be scared for life.
                      Thanks
                      Daniel MacInnis
                      Adair Guards
                      Commonwealth Grays
                      [URL="http://www.westernindependentgrays.org"]WIG[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.westernfederalblues.org"]Western Federal Blues[/URL]

Comment

Being a part of this platoon is in my top experiences of my ten years of the insanity that is reenacting/living history. I would gladly fall in with any members of the platoon again, and I extend a huge thank you to Pat Craddock and Nate Petersburg for leading us with such a positive attitude and resolve. As the event went on and I grew more and more tired, the leadership from the two of you were an inspiration to keep going. After the all of the work through the weekend, our final march past the Federal battalion on Sunday, hearing the kind words from every company as we passed was quite a moment for myself.

Thanks to everyone who was in the platoon, helped organize the platoon, helped organized both the Fed and Johnny battalions, and the event. I'll remember this one a long time.
                        Last edited by Andy Ackeret; 06-02-2008, 04:19 PM. Reason: grammar
                        Andy Ackeret
                        A/C Staff
                        Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

KEEP 'EM SHARP PIONEERS!!!! Out standing job guys. Who knew woodcraft could be so much fun!:D
                          Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                          WIG/GVB
                          In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

This was definitely one of my favorite impressions. Thanks for allowing us to be pioneers, Pat, Steve, and all you Armory Guards folks! I liked battling with my shirt off as well. Got me in touch with my roots.
                            I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
                            Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
                            Hard Head Mess
                            Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
                            Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Riley, you were the funnest guard to mess with! I don't know how you got me up that hill with me dragging my feet. I guess that loaded weapon to my back helped a bit.
                              [SIZE="4"][FONT="Impact"]Jason Thibodeaux[/FONT][/SIZE]
                              Independent Rifles
                              Swamp Angels
                              Pelican Civil War Lodge #1861

Comment

Working...
                              X