To the Men of the Pioneer Platoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To the Men of the Pioneer Platoon

One of the most unique and fantastic experiences I've had in reenacting. If I may say so myself, we were a mirror match for those of General Order's #3.

Officer and NCOs did a awesome job managing us, keeping an eye out for safety, and encouraging us to keep chopping. Hearing the cheers coming from the Buckeyes and rebs when the trees came down gave a great feeling to be a pioneer.

The Buckeye engineers of Co. G gave many suggestions rock placement and we repayed the favor by keeping them cool in that Georgia heat, and the "Ferry Crossing" joke is the most memorable one-liner I can think of.

While I never did get to see a scorpian, there is just nothing like here a WHACK!, hearing a crack, and the whoosh of a 80 ft. pine tree coming to the ground. To see those raw stumps all behind the breastworks is a first time experience for many, and I hope to do again soon.
    Mark Krausz
    William L. Campbell
    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
    Old Northwest Volunteers
    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

To the Pioneer Platoon - Great Job!

We gave you a lot of grief, cheers, pine cones and jeers along the banks as you boys were placing those stones for the foot bridge - all in good fun. We actually appreciated the cool shower as we were working up quite a sweat watching you boys work that hard. I'd say we pretty much deserved it. ;)

Seeing the trees fall while we had various sniping going on was one of my memorable period moments. Watching you untangle various and larger trees from the branches was a treat as well. Actually having a headlog was also quite a luxury. All weekend, we watched you guys work your a**es off and my hat goes off to you for that.
      ERIC TIPTON
      Former AC Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Black View Post
        Wannnna play check?
        They'uns ain't no good at checkers. But I do think I'll have a club sandwich...extra mayo.

Seriously, that was one impression I couldn't have been happier with. In all honesty, as cohesive as we were, as efficiently as we worked together, and as interesting a learning experience as this weekend was, it will be hard to return to a line company in the future.

Pioneers, believe me, the way we worked this weekend proved a whole lot to me about how quickly veteran troops could throw up a formidable position. Once the axmen got in a groove we were frighteningly efficient. All my tours at Chickamauga this summer will be going out to Battleline Road to talk about constructing log works. Those Confederates, hearing the axes work throughout the night of Sept. 19th, must have absolutely dreaded assaulting that ever-strengthening wall in the morning (as the fellows across from us this weekend may have some idea, I'll wager).

A few hours work made our hill virtually impenetrable, and that's frightening to think about in life-and-death terms.
        [FONT=Garamond]Patrick A. Lewis
        [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/"]bullyforbragg.blogspot.com[/URL]

"Battles belong to finite moments in history, to the societies which raise the armies which fight them, to the economies and technologies which those societies sustain. Battle is a historical subject, whose nature and trend of development can only be understood down a long historical perspective.”
        [/FONT]

Comment

I have to say I thought our works were impressive until I say what the pioneers had built on y'alls side Sunday afternoon while cleaning up after the event. I am sure glad we did not have to try and take those works. I am not sure event out 12 pounder would have punched a hole in them.
          [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
          [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
          [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

We gave you a lot of grief, cheers, pine cones and jeers along the banks as you boys were placing those stones for the foot bridge - all in good fun. We actually appreciated the cool shower as we were working up quite a sweat watching you boys work that hard. I'd say we pretty much deserved it. ;)
            It is times like those that you really get a first person experience. Besides, the organization of the Pioneer Brigade wasn't all that well received when Regt. commanders realized they were giving up 20 of their best men and 1 capable officer. So, I guess "we" deserved it too!
            Mark Krausz
            William L. Campbell
            Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
            Old Northwest Volunteers
            Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

What really struck me was how fast and efficently the platoon worked, it really put in perspective how quickly the armies would have stripped an area. The whole element really added depth to the weekend, and speaking for those of us down in the "bowling alley" of a road-those thick pine headlogs were really, really,really appreciated. Bully Job Fellas, thanks. Eli Geery, Co.E
              -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
              "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
              "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
              "The Bully Boys"
              "The Hard Case Boys"
              "The Independant Mess"
              29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
              3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Comment

But Tripp, they had axes. We didn't have anything except weak minds, strong backs and deadfall to work with. :)

One question I had about that tree chopping thing. Most state parks/historic sites would have an immediate coronary if someone came in and started chopping down trees. Were the pioneers given carte blanche to cut down anything they wanted, or were they trees that needed to be taken out and were marked in some way? I assume we were in a place that had been predetermined for that part of the event so it would be an easy task for park staff to tag dying trees, invasive species etc and let the pioneers have some fun while doing them a favor. Or, did you guys just go around chopping down whatever struck your fancy?
                Michael Comer
                one of the moderator guys

Comment

The rangers gave the Pioneers the okay to do what you saw them do. Soft wood and dead were the orders and the Pioneers did their business.

Steve Acker

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Acker View Post
                    Soft wood and dead were the orders and the Pioneers did their business.
                    So now there aren't any pines left standing within about 150 yards of the Federal line. If we could have clear cut everything, we may have been even more efficient getting works thrown up. I don't know that I would have wanted to chop hardwood, though. Pine wore me out enough.

"Battles belong to finite moments in history, to the societies which raise the armies which fight them, to the economies and technologies which those societies sustain. Battle is a historical subject, whose nature and trend of development can only be understood down a long historical perspective.”
                    [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by huntdaw View Post
                      Were the pioneers given carte blanche to cut down anything they wanted, or were they trees that needed to be taken out and were marked in some way?
                      Two words: EVENT PLANNING
                      PATRICK CRADDOCK
                      Prometheus No. 851
                      Franklin, Tennessee
                      Widows' Sons Mess
                      www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

You Pioneers did a FINE, FINE job! I was duly impressed with the spirit and elan you put into the effort. The teamwork was great and it was enjoyable for all of us to watch y'all go to work. It is even more fun when the Confederates counterattacked our right and you responded to teh call rapidly to close up our flank.

Regards,
                        Jim Butler
                        known as Adjutant, 29th Ohio
                        Jim Butler

Comment

Jackets or no jackets...shirts or no shirts...we pioneers were ready. It was awesome when the rebs made that assault because it was so sudden and when I heard Pat giving out orders to grab your arms and move over to the right flank..I had gotten in so much of a hurry I didnt even grab my own gun and I had just taken one and ran over to the right flank as quick as I could. Then there was the time we fought with our shirts off...
                          Evan Isaacs
                          River Rats Mess
                          ONV

Comment

Originally posted by confederal View Post
                            Then there was the time we fought with our shirts off...
                            Do I perhaps smell a Pioneer-themed prequel to They Died With Their Boots On? "They Fought With Their Shirts Off."

...dibs on the Errol Flynn role.

[/FONT]

Comment

Why is it no surprise you'd speak for the Flynn part?
                              Daryl Black

Comment

To the men of the Pioneers,

You gents were excellent and added immensely to the living history experience for many at the event. The sound of axes on Saturday evening preparing the works will be a fond memory while we were setting the picket posts of the battalion.

Congratulations for an impression well done and for the quickest switch from axes to rifles I had ever seen during the Sunday morning assault of our works.

Tom
                                Tom Klas
                                Hard Head Mess
                                Citizens Guard

Comment

Working...
                                X