Top Five of Picketts Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top Five of Picketts Mill

I had a great time, though having been out of action for a while the heat and exertion wore on me a mite. I think many of us could improve our authenticity by losing some weight and improving our physical conditioning, especially me.

1. Hooking up with old friends and meeting new ones (quite a few people that I did not recognize saying hello, hopefully I will either remember you next time or meet you again). Speaking with Coley Adair on Sunday morning as he is now retiring. Say it ain't so Coley...

2. Serving as staff cook (0kay I know this is lame but read the first entry). Cooked my first cobbler out of hard tack, dried apples and currants, rock sugar and water and a stew of dried beans rice, dried veggies and jerky, both seemed palatable to those you tasted them.

3. The fifing of young David French and the comraderie of same at the rear of the column. He was always piping a tune as our troops advanced to the fight.

4. Watching the attack Saturday mid-afternoon as the Rebs were first pinned in their works by "suppressing" fire and then flanked out of their possition and being in a position to watch for a change rather than being so far into the action that all I see is what is directly in front of me.

5. Watching the pioneers at work be it from building a ford of the stream, to building breastworks, to running to their muskets to shore up the right flank at the last moment on Sunday morning. Salute to you Mr. Craddock and Petersburg you guys did great!

Jerry Gouge
    Jerry Gouge
    1st Georgia Regulars

Comment

To all:

Yep, I changed my avatar again... change is good... :p

But I digress...

My Pickett's Mill top 5-

1) Being in "super platoon" (Co E., 2nd plt)- Announcer voice: "When that hill absolutely has to be taken, we're there when you need us... that's super platoon."

2) Seeing people for the first time... (amid e-mails, good to meet you finally too, Paul) as well as seeing old friends' faces from Palmetto Battalion, Vesuuuvius, Outpost.

3) Coming online with a catrtidge in my teeth, about to tear to load, and seeing that I'm in the middle of a road with a cannon barking down at me. I remember uttering to myself "Ya'll gotta be kidding me... we're up against THAT?!?"
      Comrades falling on the ground and me high-tailing it outta there ensued... that was my "Oh scheisse" moment...

4) Watching the Pioneers work... darn good job, Marse Craddock and crew! You made me very tired watching you, gents.;)

5) While resting on my gum blanket Sat. night, finding out in my Feb '64 copy of Harper's Weekly in an advertisement on the back page that (shockingly) bad breath was the "scourge of mankind"... yes gentlemen, amazingly not war, disease, starvation, or plague meant anything to mankind... it is, in fact, bad breath as our worst evil.
      The breath remedy being sold also got rid of pimples too... hmmm, something makes me not want to ingest such an item that works just as well as an astringent. :sarcastic

As always, my chain-of-command Corporal Gobtop, Sgt Gutzke, Mr Acker and Mr. Sorchy were very able leaders... kudos :)

See you this month "At High Tide"
      I remain -Johnny Lloyd
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
      SCAR
      Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
      Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
      Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
      Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

1. "Authentic-Type Ground" plus the creek, it really was a nice site.

2. Watching Craddocks Company work.

3. Working and seeing many good friends, and meeting and working with the boys from WI.

4. Working with a Commmand Group that knew how to "Shoot-Move-and Communicate"

5. Always and Always, the ride up and getting ready.

Comment

Top Five Eh?

5) Supporting and seeing my Comrades...

4) Sweating through my Domet Flannel Shirt and Fatigue Blouse, four times...

3) Reacting to the Cavalry on the Union Left... Damned Rebels...

2) Having my Comrade Brian returning to Co I's line after we thought he had been captured by the Rebel Cavalry...

1) Moving to the line in my shirt sleeves...

I'm the one loading my piece with the forage cap on...
          Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Any more photos anyone?

Steve Acker

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Acker View Post
              Any more photos anyone?

Steve Acker
              Wholeheartedly echo that, sir... I have a few I'll try to post, but they are not good... :)

-Johnny Lloyd
              Johnny Lloyd
              John "Johnny" Lloyd
              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
              SCAR
              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Here are some pictures I got from the event. Most of them I tried to take discreetly...

Even the long drive through the night was a lot of fun. :)
                Anna Allen
                <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>
                [COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Cherry Bounce Girls Mess[/B][/COLOR] :p

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Comment

Scorpions

Captain Butler found a scorpion in his haversack on Satuday morning (birds of a feather...just kidding Jim).

I had never seen on in real life. I didn't even see Jim's little buddy at Pickett's Mill.

I am sitting here reading emails and about 10 minutes ago I heard a racket in the other room. I started to ignore it. Instead after another crash I got up and went to investigate. As I came up the hall I called out what was that noise. Teena my wife (lying on the sofa watching TV, hell no she ain't getting up) says I don't know, why don't you find out. Five feet behind the sofa where Teena was lying watching TV in our great room the cat was playing with a two inch brown scorpion. I grabbed the cat and handed it to Teena. Then I crushed the scorpion with a paper towel and put it, wounded, into the garbage disposal. That is the first time I have seen one in person and I have no idea how it got that far into the house. It is a new house so there are probably all sorts of things still remaining in the foundation that will eventually decide to come out. I cannot even imagine stepping on the dang thing and me walking around in my safe house bare footed.

Jerry
                  Jerry Gouge
                  1st Georgia Regulars

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Allen View Post
                    Here are some pictures I got from the event. Most of them I tried to take discreetly...

Even the long drive through the night was a lot of fun. :)

Anna, thanks for the glimpse at the civilian side of life. I didn't get to see much of the ladies, except for a late night canteen detail on Friday. Ya'll appeared to be in an in-depth conversation at the dinner table, so we didn't interrupt. I agree I could definately live in that cabin as well,it's quit cozy. Myself and some pards stayed there after a drill in the spring. Now I now how those fella's got so dirty so fast !
                    Eric N. Harley-Brown
                    Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

Glad you enjoyed the pics, Eric! Ya'll should have said hello anyway. ;) We really did have a fantastic time out there in the cabin. I'm still going through withdrawals. The cabin is fantastic and super cozy. I hope I get another chance to get out there again!
                      Anna Allen
                      <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Comment

Anna, I'm just trying to figure out what you plan to do with that hammer. :tounge_sm
                        ERIC TIPTON
                        Former AC Owner

Comment

From the looks of it Eric............... Whatever she wants!;)
                          Andrew Martin
                          GHTI/WIG

"Schedule... for anyone who gives a sh*t"
                          150TH Manassas July 22-24 2011 (Highlight was finding a 6 pack of piss warm Old Style beer in "Tent City" for $20 bucks! on Sat. best purchase I think I've ever made)
                          200th Battle of Tippecanoe Nov. 5-7 2011 (Wow.. a moving and emotional event, had our 4th US Infantry colors dedicated the right way)
                          150th Shiloh Mar 30- Apr 1 2012

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewMartin View Post
                            From the looks of it Eric............... Whatever she wants!;)
                            Yeah, ya'll better watch your step... We women have to protect ourselves too. Next I'd like to learn how to shoot a gun. Our Tater buddies said they'd teach us, but haven't yet!
                            Anna Allen

Comment

I agree with Andrew. I heard a psychologist say once that when a woman has a hammer...leave her be!
                              Micah Trent
                              Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
                              Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

Originally posted by Micah Trent View Post
                                I agree with Andrew. I heard a psychologist say once that when a woman has a hammer...leave her be!
                                haha. Well, to be technical, it's a hatchet I'm holding. :tounge_sm
                                Anna Allen

Comment

Working...
                                X