X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Event at Pickett's Mill 2008

"I was one of the victims of an authentic "dysentary" weekend in 2002."

Preston,
    The weekend of the Quick trot was 2001, and I too fell victim.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

I enjoyed the fly blown beef! I was so hungry I had already eaten a good chunk of it before I was told. I was at least happy I didn't get some of the Rebs water supply. Our tank was on par with pool water. Still it was an unforgetable event and the fact we still talk about today proves it so. See y'all at the next one in 2008. Plus I only have to drive 15 miles!

Jim Butler
      Jim Butler

Comment

I'll be there no matter what.
        I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
        Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
        Hard Head Mess
        Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
        Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
          "I was one of the victims of an authentic "dysentary" weekend in 2002."

Preston,
          The weekend of the Quick trot was 2001, and I too fell victim.

Ah yes, there were soo many cool events going on from 2000-2003 I tend to get them jumbled from time to time. Man, this is such cool terrain to march around. It literally sucks you right into the period. I hope I don't develop a hard case of shell shock like I got last time, I nearly made you rebs feel bad for shooting me down. Good times in 2001!
          Preston Todd
          Hard Case Boys
          Top Rail Mess

Comment

I do not reply but every now and then... but as a person that was there for the last few years...count me in.
            Beau Blackwell

A.F.M# 143 New Prospect, South Carolina

One day I stumbled across a case of bourbon...and kept stumbling for several days thereafter.
            - W.C. Fields

Comment

I have been out of the hobby for a good 3 - 4 yrs and I am looking into getting back into it. Sounds like a fun event so count me in. Looking forward to it!
              [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Brandon Dorrill
              Armory Guards
              Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
              Proud descendant of Pvt. William A. Fuller
              39th Alabama Volunteer Infantry Co. E
              [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                Weather and bugs - absent anything else we populate the threads for great events with these two subjects. We can't do anything about the heat and humidity, but bugs are another matter.

Spray your uniform with a product like Repel that contains the compound Permethrin and you have no worries. It is odorless, colorless, can be sprayed on cuffs and collars and sleeves or wherever, not used on the skin. Since using it at Rich Mountain, I have not had a single bite or even a visit of any kind at any event - including summer, fall and spring events in Pennsylvania, Louisiana, West Virginia and Virginia. No tics, chiggers, mosquitos, etc. You spray it on before you go into the field and it lasts the whole event...and will not damage or discolor that new garment.

It is fun however to watch the bugs moving away toward a softer target not so protected
                Interesting that National Geographic had an article on one of the world's great killers a few months ago: Malaria. Mentioned was the relative ineffectiveness/over reliance on Permethrin in getting rid of mosquitos specifically. DEET, DDT, and Permanone/Permethrin are still your best defenses.....throw in a few garlic tablets and a tablespoonful of vinegar per day for a week and you just might ward them off.....

Don't red ants eat chiggers? (Oops, that's adding another evil to the equation).

Permanone:
                Repels and kills ticks which may carry Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Made with Permithrin and should only be applied to clothing. Active ingredients bond with fabric and will last a minimum of two weeks, formula also holds up to repeated washing. Effective against ticks, mosquitoes, chiggers and mites.

Poison Ivy is a personal bugaboo......starting with the time I made love on it.....
                IvyBlock™Lotion
                Protects against poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac rash when applied before contact. IvyBlock™ lotion provides an active barrier on the skin with a special formula that helps block skin using the oil in the plants which triggers the rash. IvyBlock™ lotion should be applied to skin at least 15 minutes before possible contact with the plants and re-applied every 4 hours for continued protection. May be removed with soap and water.
                RJ Samp
                (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Does "Repel" keep the scorpions away? There's scorpions at Pickett's Mill.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne View Post
                    Does "Repel" keep the scorpions away? There's scorpions at Pickett's Mill.
                    NO!

"Chemicals do not really repel scorpions. What they do is kill other bugs that the scorpions feed on, driving the scorpions to better hunting grounds. Your best bet is to get yourself a portable blacklight and hunt for them at night. Keep a glass jar handy and some tweezers. Grab the scorpion gently by the tail nearest the stinger and place it in the jar (they cant climb glass). Most people kill them, but I suggest relocating them outside other places, they eat bugs that you dont want around (ie black widows, cockroaches, etc)."

"I bought some Tokay Geckos. The Geckos just "hang-out" on your walls. They seemed to like the little pests. You cannot touch the Geckos; the bite is like a little razor sharp pit-bull. They won't let go. The Geckos were around $20.00. The Geckos also like other pests like spiders and mosquitos. "

"I use diamateous earth sprinkled around the perimeter of your home will keep the insects out. It is available at a pool supply store. Pour a fairly good line about 4-6 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick around the area you want protected. This works very very well... "

DE is the Key???

" Bring Adolph´s meat tenderizer. The papain enzyme neutralizes the protein in any bite, sting, etc and when you make a paste and apply it, the venom is lessened. Actually, it is an allegeric reaction that causes the adverse symptoms and many people here eat scorpions to build up their antibodies"

So collect them in glass and bring them over to your foe's outposts?!!!
                    Last edited by RJSamp; 10-28-2007, 11:08 PM.
                    RJ Samp
                    (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                    Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Update at Pickett's Mill

I figured everyone would like to know that the The Wild Turkeys are taking to their midnight drop training and should be ready by May 2008. All the bugs were responding to the smell of wool before going into hibernation, and the snakes really like lying underneath ground clothes.
                      It looks like everything should be ready for the event.

Thanks,

James Wooten,
                      Interpretive Ranger

Comment

Bugs and Poison Ivy....I agree with the garlic idea for the bugs. It does wonders and since we will smell like something fiece, it should not be a problem. For the poison ivy, y'all need to look up Jewel Weed. It's sap is a similar consistancy to aloe. It works better than any off the shelf product at reducing the swelling/bumps. I do not know if it is native to Northern Georgia, but it is found in Southern KY. Be nice if the sutlers bottled some of this.

Also, what is the word on registration or did I botch up not seeing it?
                        Christopher P. Hettinger
                        Tar Water Mess

Comment

Registration opened on Jan 1st. All the information is on the event website at www.armoryguards.org/pmill2008/
                          [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                          [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                          [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

I am proud to annuonce that Tom Klas has agreed to act as sergeant major for the federal battalion. He will do a capital job for us.

More great news to come

Steve Acker
                            The guy with the sword for this event

Comment

Event at Pickett's Mill 2008

A friend of mine just gave me a book published in 1913 called “A brief narrative of the Fourth Tennessee Cavalry Regiment, Wheeler’s Corps, AOT, by George Guild”.

Here is a passage regarding New Hope. What I find most interesting are the staggering Federals.

About Allatoona we had some fighting, participated in by detachments of the army. From here General Wheeler was sent back across the river to protect and drive off a force that was destroying some large manufacturing establishments. In the fight that ensued he killed and wounded quite a number of the enemy and destroyed some two hundred wagons. We had some more heavy skirmishing with the enemy at Alltoona; then we hastened to New Hope Church, some distance to the right to meet the enemy. On arriving there, the Fourth Tennessee, in conjunction with a brigade of A.P. Stewart’s infantry, had a hard fight, but finally drove the enemy back. The regiment quite a number killed and wounded. That evening General Stewart built some temporary breastworks. At night (about 10 o’clock, I suppose) a large force of the enemy attacked Stewart’s works, but were repulses with heavy loss. It is stated that seven hundred and fifty soldiers were found dead in front of General Grandberry’s line, and that many of the Federal attacking column were in an intoxicated condition and actually staggered over the works when they were captured.
                              Joel Phillips

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Hatter View Post
                                ....For the poison ivy, y'all need to look up Jewel Weed. It's sap is a similar consistancy to aloe. It works better than any off the shelf product at reducing the swelling/bumps. I do not know if it is native to Northern Georgia, but it is found in Southern KY. Be nice if the sutlers bottled some of this.
                                I agree with the Jewelweed remedy. It will not prevent poison ivy, but it is an effective treatment for it. I have used it myself. It grows in areas poison ivy likes, so thats handy too.

Sutlers will not sell the juice/extract I wager, because it rapidly loses its effectiveness. Ewell Gibbons tried storing jewelweed, by freezing it, making tinctures and extracts, and such, and said he had no luck, and that the preserved jewelweed extracts and cubes did not work as well as fresh, and after relatively short periods of time, seemed to lose all effectiveness.
                                Ron Mueller
                                Illinois
                                New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
                                Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
                                Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X