Westville AAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westville AAR

WOW! Jim Butler and all the rest of the people behind this event deserve highest praise. It was magical in my book. My thanks also go to the people running Historic Westville. ALOT of planning and lengthy work went into this event which was quite evident after studying my character packet upon arrival. I was to become Samuel Atkinson from Columbus, Geo. who was a cotton broker buying cotton from local farmers, and working for a local brokerage, McDonald and Associates.

Upon meeting another cotton broker Saturday morning, I learned he was actually Mr. McDonald and thus my employer. So with that I decided surely I must be his newly arrived associate from Columbus and this would be my first day to meet him and work in his employ. So being new to town, I felt it only fitting that my Mr. Samuel Atkinson character should be a man of questionable background. Over the course of the next 24 hours, Mr. Atkinson swindled cotton farmers with low rates, passed conterfeit currency, and became involved in jury tampering, his office being located at the court house. It was a busy day. You've heard that news spreads fast in a small town and Westville, Geo. is that sort of small town. The local judge and sheriff were smart and alert men and had Mr. Atkinson arrested and in manacles in very short order. The judge had Mr. Atkinson paying restitution as quickly as he'd been placed in the manacles. Mr. Yarborough, owner of the local tavern, was made whole from a bad note although he banned Mr. Atkinson from returning for the next three months. The other complaintant who claimed to have received a bad note in a cotton transaction, a Mr. Edmonson as related by the sheriff, was not found to have done business with McDonald and Associates after an examination of the companies Cotton Reciept Logs. This was verified by the sheriff and the complaintant, Mr. Edmonson is now in question. For the record, the amount of lawlessness in this small burg was appalling. In addition to the above, there was mugging, stealing, bribery, stabbing. Something for everyone really in this charming town. All of this and general small town affairs while the army enlisted the able townsmen in the service of the state. The weekend in a word: delightful!

And now that I'm back to 2008, I owe the portrayers of the following characters the amounts by their name: Mr. Loverd Bryan, $1; Mr. William Harper, 50 cents; and the charming Mrs. Sophia Ball, $1. Please PM me your address so I can forward the funds to you. To everyone who came and brought your charater to life, you have my thanks and praise. The list of registered names reads as a who's who in the hobby, and I was priveledged to participate with all of you. I look forward to reading the activities of others there.
    Matt Woodburn
    Retired Big Bug
    WIG/GHTI
    Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
    "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Re: Westville AAR

Well said, Mr. Woodburn !!
    This was a grand and unique event. I can think of none other that I have attended in recent history that has left such a posative impression. I will treasure the memories from this event for years to come. Thanks to Mr. Butler for all his efforts in organizing this event. We impressed the staff of Westville so much so that they have invited us all back. This is no small feet considering they have been very adimit about not allowing any Civil War event to be held onsite until this one.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
    [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Matt: For the $1. you owe to Sophia Ball - please make arrangements to pay that amount to P. Palmer Dry Goods (Kay Gnagey) as I, unknowingly, passed on the bad bill to her along with notes I took in for merchandize I sold in the spicer shop for a new bonnet. I honestly thought that whole counterfit bill thing was part of the scenario worked up for the court house and did not realize I shorted her on payment for the bonnet until last night. I rounded up her cell number and promised to make good on Sophia's remaining outstanding debt. I am pretty embarrassed, because as event co-coordinator I should have known the difference. After the lasik and 7 other eye surgeries I can see well enough at a distance, but I remain blind as a bat up close so I couldn't read anything or see any details on the bills, letters, or other correspondence. I did notice it was larger than the others which should have been my first clue. I have apologized profusely to Kay and promised to make good.

I want to thank everyone for their participation. I had expected to work the weekend and really had no expectations of participating in any of the vignettes, however, I found myself involved in the courtroom drama which made for a magical weekend for myself as well. It's no secret I've spent more time in the 18th century than the 19th the last couple of years, but, the enjoyment I got from this event could well entice me back to the 19th on occasion. Everyone who participated in planning the courtroom vignettes (which I really knew nothing to very little details about) is to be commended for the most excellent job you did. After getting tripped up by the opposing attorney while on the witness stand I hope I never find myself really in that position. I cannot forget to say how totally impressed and pleased I am with Ed Henry, Andy Sjogren, and all the others who helped bring the Nuckolls tavern to life. When we saw that building on the walk through I never dreamed it could be transformed into what I saw when I went to supper on Friday night. It was truly magical.

Now, to regress - you did an excellent job of your shady character. In fact when my son, Greer, came to tell me while I was in the dress shop that you wanted to see me next door, I peeked out the door, saw the look on your face, and immediately started to formulate a plan of getting out of that store without having to have another encounter with the cotton broker/dishonest jury foreman. You can ask the proprietors of the shop, I actually looked out the window to judge the distance to the ground and assess what chance I had of exiting through the window without breaking my neck. The kind ladies refused to consider allowing me that form of exit which given the distance even if I did no bodily harm would have made for quite the spectacle for anyone who happened to witness my flight. Instead they decided to go out into the breezeway and admire their bonnets allowing me to exit by the steps behind the cover of their hoops. Before that I never realized how large a target you can actually hide behind those skirts. LOL. You, sir, are a scoundrell and should be ashamed of yourself for your attempts to solicit money in order to sway the jury - money you attempted to extort from a lonely widow woman. Thankfully Mr. Logan and Mr. McDonald offered me wise counsel and Mr. Logan even told me that there could be serious consequences if I gave you money to bribe jurors. Thus, my efforts to avoid contact with you late afternoon.

Sophia Ball/Victoria Rumble

Comment

Been a while since I helped a lovely young couple elope.
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Event photos are staring to come in:
          Here is a link to Rachel Ochs' event album:

Regards,
          Jim Butler
          Jim Butler

Comment

The pictures look great. Congratulations to Jim and all who helped organize and to those who attended. By the accounts so far, it sounds like you guys had a great time. I was on baby duty this weekend, but was thinking of you guys. I will be reading the AAR's with great attention.

Congrats everyone!
            ERIC TIPTON
            Former AC Owner

Comment

I had visited the site a few times prior both in period and modern so I was anxious to see it full of proper folks. I was not dissapointed. It was an awesome scene. All that did not attend missed a truely rare opportunity.
              Working with the infantry reminded me very quickly why I "jined the cavalry"
              Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
              Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Well, after crossing the Susquehanna at about 3 am this morning, I've found myself hoping for another civilian event of this caliber to appear in the next couple of years. Nothing would tickle me more than to spend a week in Westville. Three days proved to be enough time to get into trouble, but not enough to get out of it.

Between beating the p!$$ out of the school master, stealing a few ten cent notes, busting in on the Hibernians, and various other equally lofty pursuits, I was pretty exhausted by Sunday morning. The girl(Sarah Sherman/Kortney Schmidt), from all of her testimony, enjoyed her first event immensely. With the generous assistance of Mrs. Vickie Rumble and Mrs. Terre Lawson, she was made as comfortable as possible. Now, well, she'll probably join this forum and start searching out events that interest her.

Mrs. Rumble: I apologize for slipping out on Sunday morning without a farewell or a thank you. The nature of our intended exit would have been marred if I had been wondering around loose in town. So, just want to say thanks for all you've done, and it was a real pleasure seeing you again...

Mr. Butler: Your attempt at waylaying me late on Friday night was very effective. Those two gentlemen were able to slow me down considerably as I was stalking you in pursuit of those Papist swine. Monsieur Trent and myself wore ourselves out, peeping in every window in town, calling out "Hail Mary" in the darkness as a sort of 'duck call', but we trust that we frightened you all enough to make our weariness worthwhile. As a convinced Catholic and havinng a great deal of Irish blood, the entire "Know-nothing" experience was new for me. All for the history...

Mrs. Lawson: I appreciate your tolerance of a misbehaving. foul-mouthed, lazy young man like myself. Your kindness to both my girl and myself went above and beyond my own hopes.

To our Deputy Sheriff: Thanks for allowing me a chance to pluck away on your banjo during my short incarceration. When you finish putting the gut strings on it, and install some better tuning pegs, you'll have a very nice piece.

Well, I find myself in a quandry. I was going to thank everyone that helped make this event something for me, but I don't have the space here to do so. It was amazing, being the first ones on site, watching as the town took on a life of its own. Everyone was busy, doing what a 19th century person would be doing. Just looking down the streets on Saturday morning was an experience well worth the drive....

Oh, and Mr. Heath... Thanks for the ride down. When can we do it again?

Billy Birney, formerly Greer Ball
                William Birney
                Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
                Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                  Been a while since I helped a lovely young couple elope.

T'was a scandal to the crickets too. Or at least to everyone in her boarding house. To think!

More Folks Gone To Texas..........
                  Terre Hood Biederman
                  Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                  Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Jim and Vickie,

Thank you very much for planning this event. Thanks need to go out to the Westville staff for letting this event happen. Thanks to all of the participants that stuck to their characters/personas as well as they did. I'm getting spoiled on great events with persona/character driven emphasis. First Winter of 64 this past winter and now Westville this fall. There was so much that went well this weekend and made it an amazing event. I am very glad that from my perspective very little modern talk was heard. It is all fine and dandy to have kewl gear and inhabit a great little village, but if the participants did not put forth that final effort then it would have been for naught. Thank you everyone! I studied a little on my “guy” that I portrayed. Daniel McKennon the local sheriff. I hope the folks in town enjoyed Sheriff McKennon as much as I enjoyed fleshing the person out. Yeah he was a little shady, the fines levied were not quite legal, but all in all he liked his town to be run by the rule of law. Well, his law. But the town has a better Sheriff now in Mr. McDonald since McKennon has up and left for the army. I know the deputy is still around too.

To the tavern keepers, kudos gents! I did not expect what I got to see and experience there on both nights. You gents ran what I would consider a great period watering hole. Too bad I had to abstain from most drinking on Saturday evening. Hey I had to keep the streets clean!

To my deputy, Greg thanks for going along with shady sheriffs. Your help was much appreciated and needed since I was constantly moving ALL weekend long.

To the Court Room Drama Club, (Tripp, Deese, Hicks, Matt Young, the corrupt and vomity jury and all of the witnesses) thanks for making what could have been fairly boring scenario become one of the highlights of the weekend.

To Tim and Preston, my super Tennessee Darkness Vision trouble making comrades. I smelled a rat, and I should know since I was King Rat of the town. And know as your personas head north back to Tennessee you will probably meet up with the Columbus Sheriffs and become detained since I sent a courier Sunday morning to them and all of the other county seats nearby to be on the lookout for you. Mwa ha ha ha ha!!!!!

To Hank, thanks for your part with all of the shenanigans. Truth be told I really wanted to be at the tavern Saturday evening with my pals, but as the brave and ever vigilant Sheriff McKennon I knew that he would have definitely helped the locals out. I need my constituents alive for the next election. Hope Mr. Lewis’s wounds heal quickly.

To the occupants of the Bryan House. (#15) With Mr. Ball and his sweetie (the Judge’s Daughter no less!) spending time there it was always fun to make my rounds to see what type of trouble was brewing. The good news is that along with the Tennessee Terror Twins, if there was more time the good Sheriff would have sent more messages via courier to the surrounding counties. Hey, he has some ties…. (Billy, sorry we didn’t get the photo made. I hope the deputy was available for the wetplate)

To Cpl. Mustache, So Jeeeorgia Furst By Gawd! You have now been initiated. Especially with the lovely GVB quartet’s version of “Old McDonald had a Deformed Farm.” I hope you had your fill of sweet tea and bbq.

The Chawls, Thanks for the hard work getting that pig cooked. The rain worried me on Friday night! The sheriff cares about his town getting a good bbq, and particularly if he gets his stomach filled with glorious piggy! The food all weekend was excellent. Thanks to all of the folks helping with this endeavor.

To the merchants: Guys and gals you knew what your trade and I was happy that I got to visit every store. Being able to do business with a carpenter, a general mercantile store, a tavern, a tailor, a leather worker, laundresses, and a gunsmith was truly a treat.

To the folks that I served papers, mail to or arrested the different looks and reactions that you gave me were great. Chris Rideout I hope you enjoyed your letter. Not that the sheriff would know what was in there.

The only downside to the event……. I didn’t personally know all the reenactors and it was difficult trying to serve some of the folks the court summons, etc. But (cough cough) if the event were to be stretched over a longer period of time let’s say 4 ½ days, etc then I’m sure that this problem would have been rectified very shortly. Then I think the town would have had a very true sense of community.

Once again this event has been the highlight of the fall for me and it along with Winter of 64 have been the best first person intensive events that I have been lucky enough to attend.

If anyone reading ever has a chance to go to Westville just to visit I highly recommend that you do. The collection of buildings, homes, stores, cotton gin, church, tavern, etc is amazing.

I think the best moment of the weekend was Friday evening with Hunter Poythress, Pete B, Chris Henderson, and a few others in the tavern around the table just having a great fir-per moment talking about politics, the war, and religion. No script, just good living historians making it happen.

Benji for Mayor!
                    Herb Coats
                    Armory Guards &
                    WIG

Comment

WOW!

There is so much to say and so many people to mention.

First, to Jim Butler (and all the others who worked behind the scenes to make this event happen) THANK YOU for setting the stage for a great event, pushing everyone in the right direction with the suggested personal interactions provided in our packets and then allowing a fantastic group of dedicated living historians the opportunity to do what they do best! And you did folks. You all did an outstanding job!

During a conversation with another WIG member after the event, a comment was made to the effect:

"At Westville we had civilians and militia recruits. At Shaker Village we had civilians and recruits. BUT, this event [Westville] blew the doors off the other! Why?" I replied "At Westville we were the heart of a beating town. We WERE the town...not just playing dress up and walking up and down the street."

For many years Joe Smotherman and I have talked and dreamed of a town where we could use the buildings to recreate life during the mid-nineteenth century. This past weekend we found it!

One of the many positive things to come from this past weekend was having the time to catch up with: friends who I'd either hadn't seen in a long time, familiar faces who I got to know better, and best yet, rekindling old friendships.

Again, Jim, I had a GREAT time! Thanks for giving us the opportunity! You did a FANTASTIC job! I'm already looking forward to next time.
                      PATRICK CRADDOCK
                      Prometheus No. 851
                      Franklin, Tennessee
                      Widows' Sons Mess
                      www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

For the benefit of those not there, you will get a very lengthy and detailed description of life through the perception of one Ezekiel Jonas Kukery, Clerk o' Court, Stevens County, or Zeke for short.

Although I was assuming the role of a fictional first person character, my core personality was intact, covered with the skin of a semi-successful, low level bureaucrat caught up in the throes of war. I didn't have to think about the character, the situations, work and environment helped shaped that. My composite Zeke, hailed from North Carolina and was trying hard to gain acceptance from small town native Georgians. Something I experienced in modern life in Augusta, Savannah and the modern Columbus.

Friday was gloomy and the town was filling with strangers and opportunists of all sorts. Strange characters roamed the streets. Georgia Recruiting officers had taken up residence at the court house, and had turned the already busy court square into a military camp.

Zeke had already served before 16 years earlier with another North Carolinian, Lt. Braxton Bragg in the U.S. Artillery at Buena Vista And Monterey and even fought alongside William T. Sherman. His Old Republic service is disregarded by the festooned peacocks of the Georgia Regiment. He is insulted by the recruiting officer and challenged to prove his courage, without knowing any of Zeke's background.

Zeke has to stay with the defense lawyer Carl Evan's in the Clerk Of Court's office. They are no more spare houses or hotel rooms in Westville. Zeke gets along with the Courtroom crew and the Sheriff''s Office, it's just six of them to maintain law and order in this small town. Zeke's wife Isabella is still in Columbus with their seven children. The Judge promised to provide suitable living quarters, but the war got in the way, Columbus was more settled and safe at any rate.

The recruiting drive brought in transients and suspicious characters from all over the county. Bounty jumpers and bounty hunters alike. The sleepy Westville became a rowdy recruiting camp. The tavern was populated with men with rattlesnake like reflexes and a hunger for fighting,. The town resembled the ocean warf in Wilmington.

A robbery and assault occurred during the night, the next morning an investigation was launched and suspects were rounded up. Kurkey was ordered to service 17 subpoenas and witness summons, along with two arrest warrants.

Judge Isaac Sherman was indeed a corrupt man, but on a level that was far above petty street crimes, which he did not tolerate. The Cotton broker would later find out the hard way, when he failed to pay this judge off properly. Sherman ran the town, Kurkey ran the errands. So Kurkey stayed busy for hours, arranging for the court, coordinating attorneys, notarizing documents, levying fines and notices and handling the light work for the Judge. He almost summoned the entire town for the Ball and O'Shields cases

The Yarborough tavern had increased their prices along with the Mercantile store, inflation, high demands for goods and the war was making everything expensive.
                        Zeke only visited the place early in the day when most of the layabout bums and drunks were still sleeping it off. He would make his rounds during short breaks and visit the town people. When he approached with legal paper, they ran and hid.

The trial was quickly put together and haphazardly prepared. The Judge wanted to conclude the trial before the participants joined the Georgia State Militia. The County Attorney B. S. Worrell was ambitious and relentless. Worrell went after the accused like a rabid dog, and attacked defense attorney Evans with the court going "in camera" several times during the court sessions. The defendant in the robbery case "Greer Ball" also did not help his case by pleading not guilty. His influence and standing in the community did not exceed that of the Judge. Also the public did not know that the Judge was not compensated for the huge cotton sale by the Balls' that had occurred without his approval.

During the court proceedings all sorts of riff raff floated in and out of the "Hall o' Justice". Kurkey despised the two Unionists from Tennessee Arnold and Todd. They were hanging around the town with no purpose, no money and no intention on joining the Army. They were opportunity hounds looking for an easy score and not honest work. Zeke advised the Deputy to watch them like a hawk.

During Supper and Dinner time, Zeke enjoyed his meals at the Harris Farm and visiting his friends the Banker James Canady and the gunsmith James Cooper. He bought a new British Enfield for $40, that was guaranteed to shoot 700 yards. He liked to discuss the town's current affairs and Zeke was the source for many rumors and true stories.

During the evening the Recruiting Officers made grand and glorious speeches about the war. All Zeke could think of was the hot sun and long marches of 1847. The bad food and strict discipline. The pressure to join was enormous. Although people clapped and cheered, they had no inkling on what war would be like. Zeke did not think this war would last long, but young men would still die. Still the old patriotism stirred in him and he hated to see these young men march off alone. He was also tired of Westville and the lowly Clerk job. If he wanted to run for future office, he would need to participate in this war.

That Saturday night a knife fight broke out at the tavern, Zeke remained at the Court house and played cards and drank his own whiskey with the Tax Collector. His office was closed and the Sheriff would have to arrest now and ask questions later.
                        Zeke went to sleep for the last time in the warm office.

Sunday concluded the cases, Greer was found guilty from a "hung over" jury. The Jury Foreman and cotton broker McDonald was also apprehended for issuing counterfeit currency and witness tampering. After the trial he resigned his position and joined the 21st Georgia. Before noon he sent word via stage coach to Isabella and the children to meet him at the Columbus train station, he would buy transportation for her as well as he had over $6300 in the bank. If the 21st went to Richmond as he suspected, he would then contact some high level friends in the CS government and he would transfer to the Adjutant General corps.

Before reporting for drill, he visited the store, the gunsmith, the banker, the laundresses Mary and Elizabeth Kolb, he had one final beer at the Yarborough tavern before the drum command of assembly was sounded. He had bought a canteen, blanket and enough spare food to make the 2 day march to Columbus. He also visited Doctor J. L. Porter for a two minute physical which rarely resulted in exemption. Zeke also found out that Doctor Porter also served in Mexico.

The drill session sobered the recruits up to the reality of military life. Their lives no longer belonged to them. The overly dressed, parade ground sergeants and officers contrasted to the plain dressed civilians, some of which carried shovels and obsolete squirrel guns instead of rifles. The Orderly Sergeant was a parade ground soldier and martinet that did not treat volunteers well, he reprimanded Zeke for breaking ranks to retrieve a pipe he dropped.

The flag was presented and Zeke was impressed, but felt no connection with Georgia, he had tried for months for acceptance in the small town but, even his enlistment did not impress them. No one was close to him and he had occupied an unpopular post, so no one waved good bye, still Zeke felt sad for them as all the decent men had joined up, leaving behind the old men, the young boys and the cowards behind. The town was empty of it's manhood and the Stewart Infantry marched off to eternity, most would not return.

As you can see, I had no shortage of material for first person. This event kept me busy from start to finish and the "citizen" role was three times harder than my usual role of soldier. As a a clerk, I ws forced to interact, speak and maintain a public persona. As a citizen you "are" a 19th Century person, as a soldier you "were." You just can't say, "before the war I was_____", in the civilian mode, you have to work it.

Jim Butler and Vicki Rumble hit a Grand Slam with this event. it has set a new standard with preparation, planning and flow. Jim did indeed pour sweat and blood into this. The Staff of Westville was also incredible and extremely hospitable. It was great to see everyone again and I learned a lot from the experience. If I have a complaint I can't think of it.

Thanks
                        Last edited by SCTiger; 10-21-2008, 12:47 AM.
                        Gregory Deese
                        Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
                        "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

"still Zeke felt sad for them as all the decent men had joined up, leaving behind the old men, the young boys and the cowards behind. The town was empty of it's manhood and the Stewart Infantry marched off to eternity, most would not return."

This is not Pete the Bugler, but from Lucy Walker.

Mister Kukery,
                          Indeed! You have helped me understand my feelings as I watched the menfolk march off for, eventually, Virginia. I was surprised to find myself angry- it was an unexpected feeling, but as I looked at the faces of the neighbors standing in formation, I was saddened and mad. The citizens were left behind and although not aware of the hardships to come, it was obvious difficulty was in store for the ladies, children and old men.

Sunday morning I overheard the sheriff in conversation with the gunsmith regarding the need for an able bodied man to take over the duties, as the sheriff intended to enlist. This truly caused panic for me. My apologies again to Mister Canady, the banker, as my pacing in the store was distracting enough that he asked me to stop.

It is interesting to read the posts and learn some details after the fact. I became suspicious of the judge when I saw him and the cotton broker in conversation at the tailor shop. This was shortly after I informed the judge and the Ball family lawyer that the cotton broker assured us an innocent verdict for Greer if we provided him enough notes. Later I asked our lawyer if the judge was a trustworthy man, which he assured me and Sophia that he was..... and Sophia and I walked away thinking we were just letting our female minds run wild.

Thank you to the entire town, it was wonderful. Thank you Vickie and Jim for encouraging me to "get back in the saddle". After four years of being out of the hobby, I suppose I never truly was since I felt I never missed a beat.

Kindest Regards,
                          Linda Nyland
                          aka Lucy Walker
                          "Hope no one comes to town and works up a Number 6 on us....."
                          Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                          Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Thank you for all the kind words about Westville and it truly means alot to me from THIS group of reenactors. As many of you have organized events and/or reenacted for many years, I value your opinions. I need to take a moment to thank a few people here and I am sure I will miss some. To all the SCAR representatives who showed up early and helped with all the the set-up, sign-in, errands, BBQ labor, tear-down you have my deepest thanks. Thanks to Vickie Rumble for helping me in this effort and guiding me through the hurdles of civilian reenacting/impressions. Thanks to Jordan Roberts and Pat Craddock for not only playing the parts of masons and carpenters, but also doing repairs to the Village as part of their impressions. Thanks to Robby Mitchell for handling the military research and the military encampment. Thanks goes to Rob Murray for also getting the camp ship shape. Thanks to Joe Blunt for refining and updating the mens clothing guidelines and for my dandy new clothes (I think half of this event may have been an unintentional Joe Blunt fashion show). Thanks to Charles Heath for the excellent period BBQ! Thanks to Susan Odom and Sara Moorhead for all your hard work feeding the townspeople (thanks to the other volunteers who also helped in the kitchen)! Thanks to Andy Shogren and Ed Henry for going over the top and bringing Nuckoll's Tavern to life (that place had not rocked that much since Mr. West's honeymoon). Thanks to Historic Westville for allowing us this gem of site to serve as our playground. Most of all THANKS to all the participants for bringing this event to life. I have never been really good at first person, but this site and event was magical in allowing everyone to stay in first person for the entire weekend. I did not engage or hear even one modern political discussion or topic all weekend. And with todays economy, it was a nice rest from our modern worries and troubles. I apologize if I missed anyone in this list, but again thanks.
                            We are planning to do this again in mid October 2010. So please email Vickie and I any ideas you have and what timeframe and thought you may have for us.

Regards,
                            Jim Butler
                            Last edited by Jim of The SRR; 10-21-2008, 08:16 AM.
                            Jim Butler

Comment

I am wondering if everyone really knows all the intrigues that were going on at Westville? Here is a list of things you may or may not have known was happening over the weekend:

- More Irish workers had been in town replacing the jobs of boys who had left to go to war. Some of the Know-Nothings in town were quite vocal about their hatred for these Irish. The Irish met in a secret meeting of the Ancient Order of Hibernians. Once the Know-Nothings got wind of this, they began trying to find their meeting spot. Late friday evening, the Know-Nothings searched thru town crying "Hail Mary". In the midst of the Hibernians meeting they heard some noise and doused the lights. However, the Know-Nothings spotted a silhoutte in the darkness of the McDonald House kitchen. The jig was up and the Irish were forced to run for it and scattered into the town still wearing their masks thus maintaining their identities. You may have heard the yelling on friday evening or even seen masked figures darting off into the darkness.

- Billy Birney, played Greer Ball, who was a defendant in an assault on the schoolmaster. Greer had to face the Judge at court. Ironically, Greer was courting the Judges daughter. Rather than face the music, Greer and the Judges daughter secretly eloped Sunday morning. Now Greer is a fugitive.

- Kiev Thomason was a fugitive slave hunter. Fugitive Slave Hunters were usually and unwlecome and low character sort of person. So many of the townspeople were not too thrilled abou that. He posted signs and was in search of the McDonalds escaped slave "Moses". Many were also worried that other slaves might also escape, including "Nathan", played by Marvin Greer. Nathan knew where Moses had gone but told no one.

- Maggie Hogan (portrayed by Bevin MacRae) was the new Irish Domestic for the McDonalds. There was some tension there as the Gardner, William Lewis (played by Hank Trent) was a Know-Nothing and had little love for the Irish. He also had a dislike for the Unionist travellers, one who was going to testify against his friend Greer in court. This caused a knife fight on Saturday evening between the two, leaving the Gardner with a nasty wound.

- Hardin Arnold (played by Tim Arnold) and JR Todd (played by Preston Todd) were travellers from TN. They even had me convinced they were heading home to join the Confederate army in TN. However, it seemed clear that they had conned us and they were a bunch of Unionists. This fact used in court by the Defending attorney in court to smear Mr. Todds testimony. Of course, the Judge and Prosecutor would have no part of that.

- Matt Woodburn portrayed a new cotton broker in town. He played the part of a very professional business man, but by Sunday it was clear he was a man of low character. He had tampered with the jury, passed counterfiet bills, and probably more. By Sunday morning the Sheriff and Judge were on to him and had him arrested right in front of the court gallery and taken away in handcuffs.

- Matt and Penny DiPalma did a fine job playing Mr. and Mrs. Loverd Bryan. I am not suer if people realized that Loverd Bryan had served as Senator of GA for two terms (and was from Lumpkin, GA).

- Benji Stoker, played by Phil Campbell, was Mrs. Stokers (Terre Lawsons) mentally infirm son. He tried to enlist in the army and was declined. So, he made up his mind that he wanted to be in the cavalry anyways since he had a mule.

- Joshua Kinard played 16 year old James McDonald. Although his parents would not yet le him enlist, he later did enlist in the cavalry to fight with Wheeler in the Atlanta campaign. Historically, James actually captured Union, General Stoneman's horse in a raid and sent it home to his father Edward McDonald (portrayed by Ken Giddens) as a trophy. Ironically, Edward was not a big Secessionist and also lost everything after the war.

- Woodworkers James Roberts (portrayed by Gary Bergstrom) and Eldridge Hardy (Chris Henderson) built a childs coffin in the woodshop for Elenor Chamline (portrayed by Sandra Jusak) who had lost a child. Not only was the coffin a fine piece of woodworking, but they all played their parts out very realistically.

- 1st Lt. William Richardson (portrayed by Skip Owens) was a wounded veteran returning from the front. Many of us who played to enlistees had various questions to ask about what was it like, waht we could expect and if he had ever "seen General Jackson", etc, etc.

- Postmaster James Logan (me) and Postal Clerk E.J. Davis (portrayed by Joe Smotherman) steamed open some letters so as to attempt to find some juicy gossip.

- Thomas Crocker (potrayed by Burt Page) was the Tax Collector and sent out tax notices and collected taxes from those that were due.

- I also picked up on a rumor around the Village that Charles O'shields, the mason, (played by Jordan Roberts) had been fined and had to appear before the Judge for some very unusual charges with livestock. Maybe someone can confirm, deny or elaborate on that.

There were many other things that happened, but these were some of the noteworthy events. I know there were many that I was not aware of as well and I would like to hear more.

Regards,
                              Jim Butler
                              (Postmaster James Logan
                              and Capt. Michael Lynch)
                              Jim Butler

Comment

Working...
                              X