Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Westville AAR

Sandra Jusak also took some photos for your viewing at:

I do have my very few photos posted on my flicker account. http://www.flickr.com/photos/sljusak...7608219779552/

Also, the same photos, with names of the ones I know, under my facebook account, http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&id=561513533 I hope I made this one public.

Sincerely,

Sandra Jusak
    (aka Eleanor Chamline)
    Jim Butler

Comment

Well, I had a great time at my first immersion event. I want to thank everyone for letting me test out my annoying Irish accent on you! And for the rides (Sandy Jusak) and great tour of the Navel Museum (thanks, Matt!)

I have to say that Maggie was quite upset about the noises on Friday evening. She told Mrs McDonald about it in the morning and Mrs. McDonald was so upset she told the sheriff and he had to deputize more men just to keep the ladies feeling safe! Maggie slept on the floor by the door to prevent any more disturbances by those hunting for "papists" in the middle of the night. She also heard footsteps several times at the summer kitchen and feared that Nathan was making a run to join Moses. The noise coupled with the hostility from the gardener at the McDonald house, Willie, who gave her the stink-eye all the time and said things like "you better be careful going up those stairs. Wouldn't want you to get hurt now." was enough to make her want to return to Charleston and the events there she had tried to escape.

The tavern provided her some comfort with it's singing of many familiar Irish tunes and the meeting of men eager to buy her a drink or two. She watched as Willie sank deeper into the shadows, himself feeling more uncomfortable that his friends might be embracing this immigrant, confirming her suspicions that it was he whose footsteps and voice around the house she heard. While I think Maggie and Willie may have found a way to work together in the McDonald house, he's still pretty certain that she had something to do with the Hibernian meeting he disturbed there.

Maggie heard, and spread, many rumors along with many other ladies at the SA meeting. Rumors about the robbery, and the elopement of the mayor's daughter with a scoundrel. A very few ladies had been to court, so we knew almost nothing about events there.

The McDonald's were kind and generous employers, frequently giving time off and paying wages in advance, and she got on well with Nathan, their slave, just as she had with the blacks in Charleston. She tried to prevent the McDonald's son from running off with the army by threatening to tell his mother what he was up to. That is, unless he gave her some extra money not to tell. She found friends in Elizabeth Kolb and her daughters, trying to survive as laundresses, but thinking that they may have to return back to Ireland or starve.

Maggie was kept most busy by cleaning the house before the rally. She must have swept that place a dozen times of the sand there. And the rag to dust the railing on the top porch was near black from dirt! Decorating the house with bunting for the speeches and many fetch and carry errands, some personal, some for the McDonald's, and some for others, took her all over town. Many people commented that they seem to have seen her everywhere.

I hardly slept a wink, preferring to get to meet all of you, only several of which I had met before the event happened. I will certainly be trying to get back to the south, perhaps for Olustee, to see everyone again. It's true what they say about the South and hospitality. I found everyone to be welcoming and agreeable. Should any of you ever venture north (Hopewell Furnace next fall is supposed to be much like Westville was) do not hesitate to make contact so that I can reciprocate the rides to and from the airport, etc!

Jim, you really steamed open some letters!! That's funny!

Next time we meet can't come soon enough.

Bevin MacRae
      aka Maggie Hogan

Comment

Hey, some of you techie kind of folks, Lucy Walker used my address to post this morning and added a new avatar to a pic of her. It seems that now all my posts have that avatar. There's a "guest" spot on the User cp link, but I can't figure it out. Can you have more than one avatar?
        hey, i'm a bugler....
        Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
        Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Seems as though my thank you letter was deleted. If this is inappropriate, please advise privately. Thanks

Comment

I would like to thank the organizers for the event and the Westville folks for a wonderful site. I would also like to thank my family for allowing me to leave home.
            Thanks to all of those who prepared food and to the tavern staff who worked their arsess off each night.

Good friendships were strengthened and new friendships were begun.

As Deputy Sheriff George McKidd, a life long Stewart County resident, I fully enjoyed the experience of the weekend. My only regret, however, was being unable to enlist with my good friend, Sheriff Daniel McKinnon. I waited until the last minute, in hopes my wife and three children would return so that I might say my farewells. Upon their return from Madison County, where her family lives, I will make my way to the Stewart Infantry.

Friday
            Friday evening I found myself settling into the Sheriff’s office and organizing my thoughts and things. I did acquaint myself with the order of the court house and its offices and office holders. The good Sheriff and I got our plan for the weekend and put together our thoughts on local law enforcement.

The next stop is the most obvious one, Knucoles Tavern. There I found good, honest, hardworking men enjoying stew, bread and a cold brew. Of course I began to partake. I consumed my share of drink and smoke and shared in the festive conversation. My manhood was soon challenged, as usual, by Mr. B F Smith. Odd remarks were made and exchanged. Talk around the table consisted of secession, enlistment and places traveled.
            Nathan, the MacDonald’s man, was present and quite in the corner. He seemed to draw in the excitement, but stayed just out of the conversation and the light of the candles.

It wasn’t long before Benji pulled a sword on a man for taking his mule. I dismissed him to his mother’s care. My handling of the situation was challenged by Mr. Smith. I felt it appropriate. Mr. Smith tried to provoke me and others in usual manner.

Having just settled in to another beer...Cries came from the front of the tavern. This time someone reported assault. I ran to the seen in a matter of seconds, much less than the full minute Mr. Worrell drew upon in the court session. There I found the school teacher on the ground. He knew the attacker personally, but did not know his name other than Billy. I questioned all witnesses and those present and took their statements. Report was given to the sheriff, promptly. Of course by this time the rain had settled in.

I returned to the court house and presented my info to the Sheriff. I then realized that I was due for a secret meeting of the Hibernians. I made my way to the specified site, the MacDonald kitchen. During the meeting, good discussion was made and before long we heard voices and knew that we had been found. We all ran into the darkness. I ran out the back door in my hooded cloak. I was in the darkness and did not know that there was a brick footwall in my path. I struck the wall in full stride. After lifting my self from the ground and gathering my pistol and cup, I dashed into a briar thicket and hid as the searchers surrounded me. They soon moved on and I slowly made my way to my office. There I changed from my wet clothing and proceed back to the tavern for a much deserved beverage. I soon informed the citizenry that the town streets were to be clear by midnight. I then patrolled the quiet streets alone. Bed was quite welcomed.

Saturday
            After a good breakfast, the warrants for arrest and witness summons were dealt and soon were delivered. This is a wonderful way to meet the folks of a village. Most were reluctant to receive a folded piece of paper from the deputy. The witnesses came and left and more papers were dealt and delivered. The Sheriff and I were finally able to apprehend the suspect, Mr. Greer Ball, after much grief and questioning. Most folks thought that Mr. Todd had something to do with the matter. The court session was fantastic. Both attorneys spewed their hot air in good fashion and drove the jury to sleep and drink. The Sheriff, Dept Bishop and I found ourselves calming our nerves as well.
            Court was dismissed around 3 pm. I was then allowed a very special opportunity. My Brothers asked me to join them for a photo of unprecedented occasion. I will allow this to surface as time passes. I was truly honored to be a part of this. It was great to share this time with my new found brothers on my journey.

Dinner was consumed and a small respite was required before patrolling the town with the Sheriff during the Rally. We checked on all of the town dwellings and listened to the powerful speeches given to pump the crowd. Georgia First by Gawd!!!

Naturally we settled into the tavern. The Sheriff was vigilant and sat on the front porch and stayed dry. He knew there would be trouble between Mr. Lewis and Mr. Todd. There had been trouble between them all day.

More to come… Ran out of time Right now

Deputy Sheriff George McKidd
            Greg S Barnett
            Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
            ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Greetings All.

I would just like to express my sincere compliments to Jim and Vickie and all of the participants for a truly remarkable weekend. There have only been a handful of events in my life as a reenactor (30 years) that truly capture a window in time. This event blew those away. I think this sets a new standard for LH civilian events. Thank you so much!!

Here's a sample of the collodian images I made over the weekend.

Westville Militia 1 web.jpg

Westville Shingle Maker web.jpg

Westville Woodworkers web.jpg
              T. N. Harrington
              Traveling Photographic Artist
              Daguerreotypes and Wet-plate Collodion Photographs
              Winchester, Virginia

Comment

Great event! On behalf of Thomas, John and George Yarborough at Nuckolls Tavern (aka Andy Shogren,Ed Henry ,Dylan Henry) I want to thank the organizers and staff at Westville for your hard work and for making the event outstanding! Working in the tavern listening to conversations and watching the acting in first person made it feel like it WAS 1861.I have too many stories to list. I loved the scenarios even when the tavern took in the conterfeit note from that scoundrel! ...We felt sad tearing down the bar and taking the pictures off the wall. It went by too quick.We met alot of nice people and we'd love to do it again!

Y.O.S.
                Ed Henry
                S.C.A.R.
                Plug Ugly Mess

stooge4@aol.com

Comment

Some additional pictures.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by SCTiger; 10-21-2008, 09:24 PM. Reason: more pictures
                  Gregory Deese
                  Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
                  "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Here are some fine pics as well.
                    Attached Files
                    Gregory Deese

"How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Ladies & Gentlemen,

First I’d like to extend my sincerest thanks to the event organizers Jim Butler and Victoria Rumble. The extent of the work between these individuals, to work with the site, and coordinate with the participants must have been some feat, and I believe their hardwork paid off. When has an event such as this been conducted and to the extent that it was, in such an AWESOME setting?

Second, we all owe a deep debt of gratitude to the individuals who cooked/served meals to us throughout the weekend. These men/women./children were able to remain in character, use period methods of cooking, and feed all the participants which I estimate neared 100. The food was truly amazing, and for this Southern-boy working up North…it was like coming home. Much appreciated menu: ham, grits, eggs, gumbo, cornbread, beans w/ham, “real slaw”, pickled okra, pickled peppers, pickled cukes, Real “Q”, bacon, oatmeal, bacon…lemonade, tea…oh and a hearty warm cup of coffee first thing in the morning.

Thirdly, the tavern...some sight...to the Tavern keepers...what you transformed that space into was very reminiscent of a frontier tavern...and it fit the setting well. That Yarborough Hammer, went down simple enough...yet packed a hearty punch...due to my impending ride Sunday, I'm glad I limited my intake.

Lastly, A deep and hearty thanks to all the participants who had well defined/researched roles. The men working the Cotton-Gin was something to behold…as were other professions seen in town…woodworking, blacksmiths, gunsmiths, law & lawyers, basket-weaving, yarn dying, tavern keeper…as well as the recreational venues as well…quilling, lace making, quilting…etc.

By the way…Jury-duty is boring no matter what century it’s in…and the decision to drag the case from Saturday into Sunday, no doubt had a deep impact on the Jury’s decision to convict the defendant.

The town really had started to come to life by Sunday…and you can bet that my vacation would be well spent in a couple years if we extended the event to be a 4-7 day experience. Just think if we were able to host 2 x the amount of individuals…and also contribute in some small part to the refurbishment of the town (fixing steps/leaky roofs/painting siding…etc.).

The trip was well worth it to me…bringing me back to the land of pork/cotton/tobacco/peaches/peanuts…not only experiencing Westville, but also taking the opportunity to visit the Naval Museum in Port Columbus.

Thanks Again for a Wonderful event, which now ranks in top 5 experiences within the hobby.

Sincerely,

Paul B. Boulden Jr. (a.k.a. Albert Strong~ who was supposed to be selling fish at the event, but through unforeseen circumstances found himself pursueing other activities).

P.S. Pictures to post this evening...
                      Last edited by Stonewall_Greyfox; 10-22-2008, 12:27 PM. Reason: P.S.
                      Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                      (Loblolly Mess)
                      [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

By the way…Jury-duty is boring no matter what century it’s in…a
                        The photo below can vouch for that statement.
                        Attached Files
                        Gregory Deese

Comment

More wet-plate images from Westville
                          Attached Files
                          T. N. Harrington
                          Traveling Photographic Artist
                          Daguerreotypes and Wet-plate Collodion Photographs
                          Winchester, Virginia

Comment

I cannot express in words more than what has already been said. I enjoyed seeing again many of my friends as well as meeting and making new ones. Special thanks goes out to Jim and all for all of your hard work.

This was a truly unique opportunity for me. This event exceeded my expectations beyond imagination. I would love to have the opportunity to get to do it again.

Here are a few of my highlights:
                            • Picked Okra
                            • Pig Roast
                            • Great 1st Person
                            • Nuckolls Tavern
                            • A Real Slave Hunter
                            • Guns in Court
                            • 10-Cent Beer
                            • Period Songs
                            • Not having to lug around a musket until the very end of the weekend
                            • New Friends
                            • Damn Union Sympathizers
                            • Big Open Fireplaces
                            • The Tidewater
                            • VMI
                            • Slap Him In Irons
                            • The Milky Way
                            • Frock Coats
                            • The Tired Postman
                            • Old Alabama Town
                            • Bay Rum
                            • Silk Tobacco Pouches
                            • Reminiscing
                            • Cravats
                            • Damn Irish Catholics
                            • Folks Who Can’t Read
                            • The Gunsmith
                            • Man with 10 Canteens
                            • The Beautiful GA Flag
                            • The Oath
                            • The Pike
                            • High Cotton
                            • Sugar Cane
                            • Where was that Moonshine Still?
                            • Crazy Indian Speech
                            • Cold Grits
                            • Nice Red Kepi
                            • Jam and Butter

Joel Phillips
                            Valdosta, GA
                            The Coon Dawg's Mess
                            Last edited by Coon Dawg; 10-22-2008, 06:49 PM.
                            Joel Phillips

Comment

One moment that I negelected to mention was when Mr. Hardin (Tim Arnold) and I were walking about and we saw the carpenter (Chris Henderson) deliver the casket to the poor mother. That was a very sobering moment and on Sunday no less!

Again, one of the best events I've ever attended.
                              Herb Coats
                              Armory Guards &
                              WIG

Comment

The sugar cane was danged tasty. I'm sad more folks didn't try it, but then again what the site staff said may be somewhat true. Speaking of fun, we could have used some yardbirds running around in the farmhouse area, and maybe that can be provided (at least until Sunday dinner prep time) at some other rendition.

Listening to the pigs whilst cooking one of their own was good. I wonder if the leftovers went into their slops? Not the meat, of course.

Lumpkin and Westville had a heck of a lot of stray dogs. I kept mentioning this to the Right Honorable High Law Dawg, but he didn't seem to get the point.
                                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Working...
                                X