Westville AAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Westville AAR

I had an incredible time at Westville and I would like to echo the well-deserved praise that has been heaped on Jim Butler and Vicki Rumble. For those who didn't go, each person who registered got a envelope brimming with background, scenarios to be played out, and a portion of period scrip/stamps to facilitate the "economy" of Westville.

My only regrets were two-fold: As a clerk to the recruiting officer, I didn't have much free time to wander around the town and interact with everyone. We were outsiders, (which thankfully freed me from having to remember anyone's fist person name), so our interactions always followed introductions. There was no familiarity, no invitations to visit with people, etc. Also, I'd forgotten to hit the ATM to exchange for more period currency, so I couldn't interact with the local economy (read tavern) quite as much as I would have liked.

Here's my highlight reel for the weekend:

1) The amazing sensation of being in a working period town. I mean working because it was 3-D, and there was no sensation of any boundaries. I didn't do too much exploring, but there was no sensation of a dividing line between 2008 and 1861. It's impossible to describe if you weren't there.

2) The rich personalities and immense knowledge that each player brought to the table. It was highly evident that each person who was considering recruiting had major apprehensions about leaving his family and his obligations. There were several who had well thought-out reasons for NOT enlisting, such as Mr. Woodburn's character who reasoned that without commerce, there was no taxation to pay for the war effort, etc. The women of the town were reserved, and even those I knew in 2008, acted as if I was an outsider, and common courtesies had to be observed.

3) Chris, Gary, and Dylan in the woodshop. You'd never realize what talent, 1860's technology and hard work can produce. These guys added some amazing depth to what had been an old carpentry shop.

4) Jordan Roberts and Pat Craddock: Although I didn't see Mr. Craddock doing his repairs, I know that he did a good bit of carpentry repairs for the town, and I did see Jordan, (who is an actual brickmason at the age of 19 I believe) do several hundred dollars worth of repairs to some crumbling brickwork around town. He didn't talk much, he just walked barefoot around town, covered in dirt and quietly went about his business, which he obviously knew. I have to agree with other posters that a longer event, (maybe 3 whole days) in which some healthy repairs could be conducted would be a great event concept, and in the finest traditions of historical preservation.

5) I think one major advantage going forward for all the civilian participants is that it gave everyone a good idea of experiences that they would have carried to war. Most of us portray military soldiers, and at various times we have had to talk about "pre-war experiences" that we've oftentimes had to draw from books, or educated guesswork. Now, many of the participants have a ready-made persona, as well as a glimpse into the actual experiences of that person. Whether it be a postman, a mason, a carpenter, or a merchant, that glimpse is real.

6) Of course the tavern: I have to say we may have stumbled on to something here. The concept of "drinking for preservation" just might take a firmer hold then a fence-rail drive. :D
    The fact that the barkeeps were able to make a nice donation to Westville (or "Wetville") was a welcomed touch. In a future event, I would like to see the tavern possibly set up in a larger building, but it still worked very well. Three cheers for the bully barkeeps.

Kind Regards,
    Andrew Jerram
    Kind Regards,
    Andrew Jerram

Comment

I would like to thank Jim and Vickie for hosting (planning) this incredible event! Also the particapants that made the town come to life. It challenged me on so many levels. This was my first civilian event as well as my first having anything to do with the Confederacy.

Being full time military I did not get to see much of the normal running of the town. I did however make trips to the gunsmith, tailor and the dry goods store as well as hanging out in the tavern after hours.

Being a dyed in the wool "Unionist", I had misgivings about all the talk of seccession as well as taking the "Oath". During the speeches on Sat. night I found myself thinking that we didn't have a clue about what we were getting into, especially after recieving a letter from the front warning me of the privations and that "army life" wasn't what it was cracked up to be. I even went as far as trying to get out of my enlistment. I wonder how many of those feelings were actually felt back then.

Again, thanks to everyone for making "Westville" come alive. If there is another rendition, count me in.
      Rob Murray

Comment

We may not have had the machinery to capture the moment, but I will gladfully (and soberly) testify before Judge Sherman that I heard John Dudney (AKA Rob Murray) drink to the health of the Confederacy!
        PATRICK CRADDOCK
        Prometheus No. 851
        Franklin, Tennessee
        Widows' Sons Mess
        www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

No doubt. But ROB did not take the oath.

We were watching.

His mustache did not move. :D
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I've done quite a few unique events in the last few years (TAG, Picket
            s Mill '04, Morris Island/Ft. Sumpter, I600, A.P. Hill March, etc.), but I think this one may be the "icing on the cake" so far. Although I did a volunteer recruit impression for the weekend, the interaction with the civilian element gave me a chance to more fully contemplate and appreciate the other side of the tragedy of "the late unpleasantness." False hopes of an abbreviated war, vain glory, abandoned sweethearts, false bravado, every day tragedies of the common folk (such as the death of a child, the agonies of childbirth) etc.; every emotion played out in the characters so aptly portrayed by the participants. Kudos to all who put so much into the weekend, and especially to Jim and Vicki. I'm ready for some more, and I'll gladly volunteer some time towards helping with a facelift of Westville.

Yellohammer Rifles
            Blind Pig Mess
            [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"][B][COLOR="DarkRed"]Randy Brown[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

More modern images, Reviews from the 2008 event and the Citizens of Westville page by Todd Harrington have all been added to the site for your review at:

Regards,
              Jim Butler
              Jim Butler

Comment

Working...
              X