Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unique Aspects for Sparks of Secession-Westville, GA

Jim,
    If the military camp is to be set up on the courthouse grounds, I suggest the courthouse be utilized as a military barracks. That should take care of all not sleeping in tents. The houses can be set aside for civilians and ladies. Any non-period camp can be set up out of site of the public and authentic reenactors. This should insure suitable accomodations within the village for everyone....... If you're going to Chickamauga, we can talk there. I'll be camping in the Federal cav camp near the Federal HQ with 4th Bn., Division Cavalry brigade.....Bob McLendon

Comment

Since the courthouse will have civilian roles throughout the offices will be occupied by those reensctors working from those offices. In the evening the courtroom will be open as a sleeping area and all bedrolls must be up and stowed in the morning. A military encampment will be set up behind the Academy (this is noted on the site map on the webpage). The Tabernacle area will be a Reenactor Refuge area that is off limits to spectators. This is a place for reenactors to camp in period tents and they can bring creature comforts in those tents as well.

Thanks,
      Jim Butler
      Jim Butler

Comment

Emily, we have recently had several children register. I'd have to do a head count, but there are enough to keep our school master busy.

Vickie Rumble

Comment

We'll soon start sending out email updates for registered participants so that everyone will be familiar with their friends and neighbors. There will be time on Friday to meet and greet and become acquainted with the 21st century person, and by exploring options and making sure everyone is familiar with what others will be doing we can be ready to interact in the 19th century. Everyone will be assigned a location prior to the event and be aware of where they'll be on arrival.

Some of the questions I've been asked recently were regarding the bank notes and how they can be used, the types of meals that will be provided, what the children will be doing in the academy, and some of the ladies have expressed some disappointment that they do not have a husband involved in the hobby to accompany them. We've discussed various circumstances, besides dying, by which a man might have left his family to fend for themselves for short or longer periods of time. We've also discussed that being a widow doesn't mean wearing widow's weeds - mourning periods didn't last indefinitely, unless perhaps you're Queen Victoria. In my case, my mourning is long over and I've returned to a relatively simple life - after all the old coot was a pain in the rear to begin with. :)

I've also been asked about children. We will have children at the academy, but I plan to split them into groups if there are enough, and to have short sessions so that they can run and scamper around as children are prone to do. Had I suggested to my sons they spend an event in "school" they would have been less than thrilled at the opportunity. Rather than the three R's they might have a singing lesson, our capable school master may feel the need to explain to them the goings-on in the town, or whatever else he deems appropriate.

I think everyone will enjoy the meal on Sat. night. Charles Heath has agreed to roast a hog for us, and Hank Trent has kindly offered to help. Anyone else who would be willing to take a turn at watching and tending the fires might inquire of Charles and offer to help. Susan Odom is preparing a list of breakfast foods, and sides for the Sat. supper she'd like to prepare, and I will be going over that with her when she's finished it. Our tavern keeper plans to offer stew at the tavern Fri. night, and the site mgmt. will provide Sat. lunch. That looks to be Brunswick stew and cornbread as of this time. Susan's last meal will be lunch on Sunday after which we'll be on our own as the event will end on Sunday afternoon. I appreciate the work these people are putting into our meals.

Jim is making updates to the website so I encourage everyone to check for those periodically. He's done a tremendous job in obtaining the census information and designing and maintaining the web site.

If anyone has questions regarding clothing, crafts, impressions, etc., would like to inquire about registration, or offer your particular expertise for the event you may reach me at thistledewbooks@comcast.net.

Vickie Rumble,

Comment

Working...
          X