Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter of '64 - The review and thanks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter of '64 - The review and thanks...

Originally posted by WoodenNutmeg View Post
    Newfane, NY @ 4:00 PM EST
    Mostly Cloudy
    24°F (Feels like 13°F)
    It was down right frigid. I was thankful that I had no duties that evening and the inmates of "Fiddler's Green" spent the night talking politics, singing songs and sharing the largess of our boxes from home.

Originally posted by WoodenNutmeg View Post
    Newfane, NY @ 12:00 PM EST
    Snow
    27°F
    A group of us were preparing to head out for Picket Duty. It ended up being much colder I believe, although I had acclimatized and didn't feel a need for my Overcoat anymore at this point...

Originally posted by Pvt_Sullivan View Post
    seeing as I am portraying a Soldier who was also a Methodist Minister. I will place my future in God's hands and do my best to do his work today in our world.
    I tried to do justice to my assignment, Pvt William Blowers: aged 69 yrs; Methodist Minister, loving Husband and Father of three girls.

It was hard with the unending vice and profanity of Army Life. The Lieutenant repeatedly offering me a chance to place a wager on a Prize Fight amid the gambling, lurid conversations and intoxicating liquors.

Luckily the fatigue details, dress parades, roll calls, guard duty, picket duty and provost guard managed to keep the Battalion occupied and free from an excess of vice.

I did slip in the end, when the White Star Saloon opened I shifted from being 'William' and became "Willy" who was a Soldier more in keeping with my personal character or lack there of. The chance to drink cold beer and lose $10 playing Chuck-A-Luck was too much for my weak soul.

My sincerest thanks to my fellow Soldiers, the NCO's, Officers and our Civilian Interpreters for making my first Tier One event the experience I had hoped it would be.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Re: Winter of '64 - The review and thanks...

I enjoyed very much the company of 7 men and a wonder dog whom can sing patriotic songs and happy birthday in a 10 by10 hut, Only slipped three times and the last one Sunday banged the elbow on the edge of a bench, There was much slippage over all. Won three bucks on "Roooooooooooooosh". That rattle seemed to spin faster as the Unionist's idiot son got more nervous. Doing picket as a johnny by the ford with the ice jam was pretty. Nice turning out to the fife and drum camp calls for four days. Learned seven pairs of boots dry out over night nicely hanging in the rafters. Like the found gifts to the boys from Mr. Beasley.
    Bill O'Dea
    Saltboiler mess/122nd NY

Did I mention I was able to watch the Eclipse of the moon while standing Sentinel in a snowy woods :)
    Last edited by BillO'Dea; 02-25-2008, 04:17 PM. Reason: was tired and left some neat stuff out

Comment

Originally posted by BillO'Dea View Post
      That rattle seemed to spin faster as the Unionist's idiot son got more nervous.
      Bill O'Dea
      Saltboiler mess/122nd NY
      Glad you recognized that little gem of a toy for what it was Mr. O'Dea---a fine repro watchman's rattle that has done a good deal of fine mischief in its life. Our Mr. Morgan does manufacture wonderful things with which to manufacture trouble.

In airplane baggage wayyyyy too full of multiple props and outfits for multiple roles, that one little item spoke loudly "take meeeeee", and I did not know what it was for until the morning of...........

Some things give great pleasure in the owning---others in the knowledge that they will never see the light of day again. Once a few other things are completed, this particular watchman's rattle will be available to be auctioned for the benefit of the Authentic Campaigner Preservation Project.

What the winner does with said rattle is his bizness. :D
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Hello!

Just got back...

1) "No, Marse Craddock... you cain't have my blane weapon..."
        2) -"You Leichtman, have a propensity for speech..."- "Boy, did you jest call me a loudmouth in a nice way???"
        3) Jellied eel... just like grandma makes... and Mr. Runyon does too, I see.
        4) Directions for use: Please cant to an angle and "aim well".
        5) Doom... how'd THAT get there? Wait, scratch that- I don't wanna know.
        6) THE BONE
        7) Awkward Mess
        8) Anyone for a round of Chuck-a-luck after I lost my money?
        9) "Dang, Dutchie...did you take a buffalo to the sinks?"
        10) LA-Rooosh- make me a rich man!!!
        11) You suh, are a liar and a cheat...
        12) "It ain't a parade... it's the Ice-Capades."
        13) "May the evil Hindoo gods from deepest, darkest Africa strike you down for your heresy!"
        14) "Ugh... it tastes like the devil himself shat in the pot."
        15) "Dancin' thar on your little pope-ish throne..."
        16) "Uh... So... I guess that means we're all 'jacked-up' in here, I reckon."
        17) The Haint sez: "Don't vote for Lincoln..."

Oh... and-

18) Sol-jah, remember to hydrate before worshipping at the altar of...

VESUUUUVIUS!!!

Huzzah! Awesome event.

Thank you to all for a memorable experience.
        If you ever need me for anything, you need only ask-

Your friend and compatriot,
        Johnny Lloyd
        (George Leichtman, Company H/151st NYSV)
        Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 02-24-2008, 10:24 PM.
        Johnny Lloyd
        John "Johnny" Lloyd
        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
        SCAR
        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Arrived back at 12:45 AM Monday. More later.

Pvt. Harvey Wilson
          Co. H, 151st NYV
          Ley Watson
          POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

11) You suh, are a liar and a cheat...

SLAP!
            Philip Guenther
            Columbia Rifles
            Living History Guild

Comment

I had fun, how about you?

aka Del. Rob't Beasley, U.S.C.C.
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]
              [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Thanks to all for making my 1st of I hope many AC events such a memorable expierience, the organizers went above and beyond, the conditions really left me with an idea on how those fellows lived.
                Met some really great people, had a fantastic time,learned a lot. Filling out my application now for the next event I'm going to attend.
                Thanks to all

Bob Hutton
                AKA George Horsfall company K
                Bob Hutton:)

14th NC "Wild Cats"

Comment

Gents,

W64 turned out to be one bully great time!! I'd like to thank the planning committees for all they did in creating some of the best scenarios I've been a part of. The candor and demeanor of all who attended was excellent. To the Pine Cottage Boys: It was a privilege and a pleasure to have taken up residence with you. Hope to see everyone soon

With Thawed Toes and Chapped Lips I am,
                  Ryan McIntyre
                  124th New York State Volunteers
                  Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
                  Joseph H. Johnston
                  March 16th 1863
                  Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
                  Henry M Howell
                  March 8 1863
                  In camp Near Falmouth

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                    I had fun, how about you?

aka Del. Rob't Beasley, U.S.C.C.
                    I did as well Sir...

Next time, I'll make sure to have a brush and a recipe for paint so I can make you a more proper sign than using campfire ash and my fingers.
                    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Peter,

The sign was just right. Throwing together a chapel in the temporarily vacated sutler hut was something that came together as an alternative to slipping and sliding down that hill to the brush arbor, and we probably had more walk-in traffic near the end of the company street than at a location closer to "Beverly Ford."

For those who are interested, Terre Lawson's W64 AAR thread on the OTB is starting to receive a fair amount of postings about socks, dead batteries, fence posts, ink, pencils, stamps, hospital patient(s), the "little treasures," trash piles, tracts, firestarter, newspapers, and such.
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

I am honored to earn the nick name Corporal Jonah.... well kinda! I wonder how many times i tripped and fell on the ice. Last time i counted it was 14.
                        Caleb Horton

Comment

I saw the ones on the event website, but anyone have any more pics of W64 2008?

Just a thought- Johnny Lloyd
                          Johnny Lloyd
                          John "Johnny" Lloyd
                          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                          SCAR
                          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

It is impossible still, after several days, for me to describe the feelings left to me from the event. I do apologize though, to those who did not attend. You will see jokes here for quite some time, only some few will understand. Imagine if you will, how you would feel, temperatures in the 20's snow on the ground and; You're told you will be the officer in charge of a replacement detail for the Grand Guard, which was on post about a mile and a half from camp. We were to take our gum blankets and wool blankets only. I myself packed an extra pair of socks. Megar rations and rounds were issued to the men, I received none. We would be releived in the morning. I am certian, the feelings in the hearts of those men assigned were the same as mine. I know the looks on their faces were.

I see a common theme umong the folks that attended the event. How do I write an AAR for a four day event? And, how do I put what I experienced into words?
                            [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                            Past President Potomac Legion
                            Long time member Columbia Rifles
                            Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Grumpy,

Ley has said a couple of times that his "PAR" or "Pre-Action Report" may end up being longer than his AAR. If there is a post-event epistle, simply must include that pancake breakfast with the locals and about 200 of their friends and neighbors. What a motley and funky sight we must have been in that fire hall after W64.

On to Glendale!
                              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Working...
                              X