Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fort Negley Lh Program Nov. 8 And 9 2008

Great weekend!
    I had a great time serving with everyone that came. I was very impressed by the group of men in our company and how well we worked together. We were like a well oiled machine! Thanks to Mr. Hicks for all your efforts in this event.
    Thanks Kiev for teaching us french and bayonet drill. The civilians who cooked the food......WOW that was some of the best food I have ever eaten. Thanks to Augusta and her husband, Susan, and Garry and Heather who really did a great job.
    It was great to meet a lot of you and look forward to serving with you again in the future, onto the DUCK RIVER LINE BOYS!!
    Kaelin R. Vernon
    SOUTH UNION GUARD

"Do small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

" Put your hands to work and your hearts to God" -Mother Ann Lee

Comment

Here are some more photos. I only wish I had a few pictures of meal time, but I was too busy enjoying my food!
      Attached Files
      [I][B]Brian T. McGarrahan[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.trampbrigade.com"]Tramp Brigade Mess[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.scarreenactors.com"]Southeast Coalition of Authentic Reenactors[/URL]
      [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]GAME 07[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[CENTER]"[B][SIZE="2"]I am just here to get my name in the program. Wildcats![/SIZE][/B]."[/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks for inviting me to take images-It was very enjoyable.
        And a special thanks to Brian Hicks--I do not know any one who is more dedicated to the hobby/preservation than him, and you certianly have my respect for all your hard work orginizing the many events you are involved with.
        Tim Parson

Comment

Brian:

I am especially grateful to you for fullfiling a long dream of mine to have an authentic living history at Ft Nagley. I told Naomi Manning when she asked what I could do to help make that happen, I said I know the best of the best and when I put my idea on the AC Brian picked up the ball and ran with it.

I want to thank everyone who participated, thanks for making a ole gals dream a realty.

Augusta :)
          Augusta Carr Scarbrough
          Preservation not Profit
          CWPT,Museum of the Confederacy,SWCW and co-ordinator of volunteers for Ft Negley

Comment

I also had a blast. It was nice to see the flow of people that came out to see the fort and the event. I'd like to also thanks the civilians for feeding us so well, and Brian for all his hard work to help make this happen. Its good to see an important piece of history come back, and this could be a truly amazing place if fully restored. (Its a Very Cool fort even in its present state) And that can only happen if there is enough interest in preserving it. I hope we helped a little.

The event was very well run, and once again, it sure was nice to meet more people from these boards, and I'd make the drive and do it again in a heartbeat.
            Ron Mueller
            Illinois
            New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
            Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
            Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Kudos all around for an excellent event. Definately not a typical SOYA living history. Had a great time, (even if that grade into the sally port did put the hurt on this old body), met some good people, saw some old friends and had the most tiring and boring guard shift ever and chooped the most intransigent wood I've ever met. Weather cooperated well, the cold temps expected saturday night hit early in the evening and a cloud deck moved it to keep the temp around 38-40, great sleeping weather.Now, someone from the first shift saturday night need to relate the wondorous tale of Private Witt and the Homeless Snipe for the edification of those not present.
              Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

"Tale of Pvts. Whit Barr & Brian T. McGarrahan and the dark stranger"---edited version(true story)

On one sat. evening, the young and sassy Pvt Whit Barr & Pvt. Brian McGarrahan were on picket duty. Growing into boredom while in the dark and being deprived of sleep, Pvts. Barr & McGarrahan were discussing memories of their childhood and began to play "war" behind the stonewalls. They hunkered down behind the stone wall that they were protecting and it protecting them. Laying their rifles across the wall waiting for the enemy to approach, they thought "lets put our hats on top of the wall to serve as a decoy". As the minutes turned into an hour and the air grew colder they pulled their capes from their great coats over their heads to produce more camo. When all of a sudden a dark shadow approached from the tree line attacking their position. The stranger now notices the hats do not have heads in them but are mere decoys. Pvt. McGarrahan leaves his post to find safety elsewhere leaving poor little Pvt Barr all alone to defend himself. Pvt. Barr curls up into a little blue ball hoping the stranger does strike at him. The stranger then shouts a few words of fear and runs the direction from whence he came, Pvt. Barr is now startled and no longer playing "war" but actually on duty, he gets back into position ready to defend Ft. Negley. His bayonet is at the ready, his eyes are closed and on the inside he is screaming like a little girl. The following morning the men are gathered around the campfire and Pvts. Barr and McGarrahan tell the tale of their almost capture of the stranger in the night, all the audience is suspicious and will always wonder about the "dark" stranger in the night at Ft. Negley?????

So if you are ever at Ft. Negley on a cold night, and you are alone......beware of the "dark" stranger!

and that is the tale of "Pvt. Whit Barr & Pvt. Brian McGarrahan and the dark stranger"
                Last edited by kaelin; 11-10-2008, 07:09 PM.
                Kaelin R. Vernon
                SOUTH UNION GUARD

"Do small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

" Put your hands to work and your hearts to God" -Mother Ann Lee

Comment

We mustn't forget that the comrades of the 'dark stranger' were also seen attacking the fort from the West the evening of the 7th and were similarly routed by Sargent Eli Geery of the 142nd Indiana. I will concede to him to tell the rest of the story. Upon the incedent with Pv't Barr on the evening of the 8th; I - a good private, croutched at my western post, blanket wrapped around me, rifle extended through the notch in my sheltering tree - expected a stronger flank attack from our homeless enemy.. but alas.. no such retaliation proceeded. I suppose the defenses that guarded Nashville proved to be unpenetrable.
                  Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
                  Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
                  ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
                  ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
                  ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
                  ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
                  ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

To all who were in attendance at this event, I really enjoyed the opportunity to meet each of you and share my presentation with you. This is exactly why I began doing what I do with "Professor Barclay": to share my interest and love of 19th Century conjuring with people who could truly appreciate it.

I've attached a scan of the photo that Mr. Parson took:

Your most humble servant,

Richard Green...

aka,
                    "Professor Barclay: The Wizard of Edinburgh!"
                    [url]www.wizardofedinburgh.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by kaelin View Post
                      "Tale of Pvt. Whit Barr and the dark stranger"

On one sat. evening, the young and sassy Pvt Whit Barr was on picket duty. Growing into boredom while in the dark and being deprived of sleep, Pvt. Barr has memories of his childhood and begins to play "war" behind the stonewalls. He hunkers down, laying his rifle across the wall waiting for the enemy to approach, pulling his cape from his great coat over his head to produce more camo. When all of a sudden a dark shadow approaches from the tree line attacking his position. The stranger now notices this little blue figure down behind the wall, loaded for bear! The stranger then shouts a few words and runs the direction from whence he came, Pvt. Barr is now startled and no longer playing "war" but actually on duty and chases after this strange figure. His bayonet is at the ready, his eyes are closed and he is screaming like a little girl, in hopes that his screams will scare the enemy away. He tells the tale of his almost capture of the stranger in the night, all the audience is suspicious and will always wonder about the "dark" stranger in the night at Ft. Negley?????

and that is the tale of "Pvt. Whitt Barr and the dark stranger"
                      That "dark" stranger was stalking poor Pvt. Barr and myself for some minutes. We hushed our already muffled conversation when we first heard him. Then, as our senses died down and he let up his guard, the stranger again approached. With the hats of Pvt Barr and myself sitting on the wall as a perfect decoy, I fled, too scared to face the danger and went to the Cpl. of the Guard. The last I remember, Pvt Barr was hunkered down using the wall for cover with his cape over his head, so low he could have been the wall. When I returned with the corporal, the stranger had gone down hill, and Pvt Barr raised his musket in triumph, for he had truly defeated his enemy.
                      [I][B]Brian T. McGarrahan[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.trampbrigade.com"]Tramp Brigade Mess[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.scarreenactors.com"]Southeast Coalition of Authentic Reenactors[/URL]
                      [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]GAME 07[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[CENTER]"[B][SIZE="2"]I am just here to get my name in the program. Wildcats![/SIZE][/B]."[/CENTER]

Comment

These are three additional images Tim Parsons made at Fort Negley.

The group image is of Members of the Armory Guards whom participated in the event. The image of the two Officers is Kiev Thomason and I. Kiev has labeled this image, 'David and Goliath playing chess'. And the single image is of me in full dress attire as a Field Grade Officer.
                        Attached Files
                        Brian Hicks
                        Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

First I just wanted to say that I don't believe I've ever had so much fun doing a static LH ( ie:essintially staying in the same location all weekend). I belive that just goes to credit Brian and the folks who put this event together. It was really nice to see all the old pards and meet many new ones, who I can't wait to fall in with again. Bully of a job to all the men! I know we were supposed to be a green company, but after our volleys ( awesome by the way)and other demonstrations, it sure was hard to tell it. To the civillians who cooked our meals, you did an amazing job, I literally have never eaten so well at an event! Also Prof. Barcaly was a real treat ( who you did a great job) and it just addded a really unique aspect to our "life" in camp. I just wish that the first guard detail didn't scare the devil out of our "darkend night figures". It seems that none of them wanted to come out and play by the time I got to post the 12am-6am guard detail !!
                          See you guys soon,
                          Eric
                          Last edited by Mtn.Guerilla; 11-11-2008, 01:35 PM.
                          Eric N. Harley-Brown
                          Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

I know there were several members of the media at the event. Any Nashvillians see any of the coverage?
                            [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                            [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                            [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

On Thursday prior to the event, in the Davidson County insert of the Tennessean, there was a full quarter page, two column write up describing the event. On Friday the event was in the calender page of the living section. In Sunday's paper, there was short write up with two good sized pictures, one of CJ and Jordan cooking their meat ration for lunch, and a second picturing a young visitor wearing a kepi and holding a wooden sword as he looked up at some reenactors who were conversing with his parents.
                              Brian Hicks
                              Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Brian,
                                Thank you for helping to create the opportunity to be at the site. I really enjoyed the weekend. All aspects were great. Thanks to Kiev for his work as well, especially for the "French" lesson. I would have to say that all of the men present are top notch. All present have outstanding knowledge and contributed greatly to the experience for me and others. The last two events that I have attended have had wonderful food. Thanks to the civilians present and for the hard work. I just hope you slept well Sat night as we soldiers created noise for you all night long beside your fire. That had to be the best guard duty I have ever had. The potential for actual surprise and the bread pudding that I ate by the fire during my off time made the time pass in a flash. The company by the fire wasn't bad either. All of these things made the hours between 12am to 6am most tolerable.

It was also good to see Bro Craddock in his finest Sat eve as well. Congrats on your weekend.

I look forward to another opportunity at the site in the future. I would be willing to spend time there with a chainsaw clearing the site if it ever presents itself. The value of the site is priceless.

I have a few picture that I will post soon.

Thanks again and see you all soon
                                Greg S Barnett
                                Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
                                ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Working...
                                X