Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Perryville KY 100 Man Company

Originally posted by yankeecav View Post
    I was one of the company cooks in the Federal camp, my first experience in that endeavor, and I have to say that I have a whole new appreciation for those that take on that task on a regular basis. I am not sure I have ever been as tired after an event.
    You, Joel, and Larry did an awesome job. Indeed, your work was cut out for you.
    Micah Trent
    Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
    Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

Holy Cow! It is over. I have way to many people to THANK!!!
      I really want to express thanks to Chad Greene and his staff (Robert and Micah.) Chad was at the park for days and nights and the two weekends before the event. His attention to detail really was unbelievable and if he drug me out one more time to get something else or print something else or scan something else he probably would not have lived through it.
      I also want to send a special THANK YOU to "Fireman" Rick Bailey. He was the guy who was Johnny on the spot and helped keep the tent fire from getting out of control.
      Joel Foust was a great cook with his helpers. They made an exceptionally fine meal. I heard lots of good things about that.
      Joe Liechty (I am sure I spelled that wrong) was a great help with everything all weekend as well.
      Sarah was an awesome laundress. I have had that job before and she worked hard.
      The QM and pay staff was outstanding. Wayne Peters did a first rate job and I have all the paperwork to prove it. Park guests really enjoyed watching them do their jobs.
      You all made my job easier.
      I listened to spectators all weekend rave about the US program and Living History Village. Beverly Simpson worked her rear end off as well. I know Mark was glad it was over she drove that man hard.
      I appreciate the effort everyone put in. The 5th KY CS guys really came in and helped out.
      I know I am leaving people out and I hope that no one gets miffed. I am still worn out.
      I hope to see you all soon.
      Thanks so much!
      I am attaching pictures for you to enjoy.
      Joni House
      Attached Files
      [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Joni House[/FONT]

Comment

Gentlemen of the Company,
        I appreciate your efforts this past weekend. It was a tremendous success. We raised $3,250 in preservation funds and another $1,000 for the museum project. I can assure you that as the Facilities Director for the PBPA that this money will greatly contribute to the preservation efforts for Perryville. I want to say THANK YOU for coming and contributing to our efforts here at Perryville. This is one of the big reasons why the battlefield is now almost 700 acres of preserved land.

Out of the 81 people that registered the company had 42 rifles, 13 staff, 1 gun with 7 artillerists and a squadron of cavalry. We had a top rate program. The park visitors were incredibly impressed and according to park officials we had around 3,000 spectators for Saturday alone and we don’t have it calculated for Sunday yet.

I want to specifically direct my greatest thanks to the individuals on my staff, my QM staff and my cooks. A special thanks to Captain Preston and his officers who did a grand job. To my old dear friend Joel Foust and Larry See and Tom Lowe thank you so much for the hard work – you guys cooked some great food over a hot fire on a warm weekend. Lt. Wayne Peters and his staff did an excellent job running the commissary. There was not one time that I asked for something that you didn’t already have it finished. Joe Liechty you did a great job with the guards in town. I want to say Thank You to all the men in the ranks you are our foundation and without you we could not have done this.

Here is a breakdown of our program. The rations consisted of 28 cans of beans, 16 cans of tomatoes, 10 cans condensed milk, 25 cans of peaches, 9 cans of sauerkraut, a bushel of apples, 300 pieces of hardtack, 8 pounds of rice, a peck of onions, 5 pounds of oats, 12 pounds of sugar, 25 pounds of potatoes, 5 pounds beans, 3 pounds coffee beans, 6 loafs soft bread, 12 ounce cans of essence of coffee, 44 candles, 3 pounds bologna, 3 pounds cheese, 12 pounds hard salami, 1 barrel pickles, 70 pounds of beef ribs and 55 pounds of fresh steak.

Thanks to the Perryville Battlefield Staff for their hard work supplying both armies with the ration program.

The Sanitary Commission handed out 100 bars of lye soap, 100 toothbrushes and 100 cans of toothpowder. A functioning laundress (Sarah Peaslee) worked hard doing the laundry and seamstress duties for the company.

Included in this program was an alter ego program that included pay call and mail call.

This is the AAR on the Saturday morning tactical.
        The tactical on Saturday morning was excellent. We waxed their *&*&* The artillery really played along in placing their gun around 12:01 AM on Saturday morning. At 1:30 a small squadron was dispatched to guard the guns placement. The squad was informed to release one soldier every half hour until 4:00 A.M. This left the gun unattended for 2 hours. Throughout Saturday morning constant roving bands of cavalry patrols were in constant motion trying to probe and detect our movements. At 5:30 we sounded a quite revelee and I instructed the cooks to distribute hard tack and apples for a march. The orders I received from headquarters were to protect the flank while the main body deployed in line of battle. We left our camp under cover of darkness staying to the shadows of the trees. Just a few hundred yards outside of camp I deployed an advanced guard to protect our left flank and our front. We proceeded to our ordered position. This took some time due to the moonlight exposing our position. There was all indication that the cavalry was deployed in our front by the noise of their animals. The company moved past the advance guards to our position. I intentionally left the advance guard in place to see if they would draw any fire. We took up position, rested the men and then with great consternation deployed skirmishers to the right flank upon the hill and to our rear a listening post was placed. I now realize that on the company’s left flank laid Dr.s Creek. This was a good position for the creek was dry and the creek banks were steep and they protected that flank. The trees were thick which assisted in good cover. On my right was a slight hill covered in woods about a 5 degree slope and just past that was a small hill with a clearing. My hopes were that the darkness would help us in our efforts to remain silent which would keep us undetected. Several hundred yards in our front was a small farm road bounded by rocks which led to a farm and house that belonged to H.P. Bottoms. It was my hopes that infantry or cavalry movements would come from this road. Knowing my advance guards could be sacrificed at any minute, but by hearing that gunfire I would be alerted to which way the enemy was approaching. This did not happen. My advance guard rejoined the company in a timely manner.
        Daylight was approaching and I directed my officers to the front and informed them that any action would occur within the next 15 minutes as we would be exposed with the sun rising in the East. A small bit of fog started to rise and approach from our rear which proved to be an advantage. At this time my left flank was fired upon by cavalry. My courier and I were on the right flank when the enemy approached. I ordered Captain Liechty to hold and not give ground. I rejoined the company and waited for the enemy infantry, which surprisingly did not come up for awhile. We were continually probed on both flanks by cavalry. The placement of our troops was a great advantage as Dr.s Creek proved to be a natural barrier and did not allow the cavalry to approach the flanks. By this time I knew they had to make a choice and the enemy infantry had to hear this commotion and begin their hasty approach. I ordered my artillery to open fire upon the ford. I knew this would give away our position and it did. They came at us with great vigor. My right flank was being pressed by cavalry and our men began to give some ground. I ordered Captain Liechty to hold at all costs and not to let those people approach our line. Captain Liechty held with great courage and did honor to his post. My left flank was being approached by both cavalry an infantry. I rode to the gun and instructed them to lower the elevation to do double canister within the creek bed and lay down a rate of fire as if hell was coming out of the ground. By this time infantry became involved and we were firing by companies and we were being pressed heavily. The skirmish line that was posted to our front being commanded by Lt. Trent had no choice but to give ground. They rejoined the company. As the artillery was firing into the creek bed both enemy man and horse alike abandoned their positions. The artillery was redirected to fire upon the right flank and to the front of our company. After the firing ceased I ordered Captain Liechty to rejoin the company. The company feeling very confident in our endeavor moved forward upon my command. As we moved forward it was quiet apparent to me what a good job our artillery had done. Before this having no way to move the artillery piece I ordered Captain Daniels to spike his gun. I then ordered the artillerists to follow behind the infantry. We moved towards the ford and came in contact with disjointed cavalry. We kept our pursuit moving forward forcing our enemy to disengaged. At this time without any haste we moved toward the main body of the army. We received four causalities – none that were severe. We detached a rider to inform the surgeon that we had wounded coming in. We went into camp and licked our wounds. Received coffee and chow and rested for a bit. The men now in rest I proceeded to headquarters.

The rest of the weekend went off without a hitch. The battles were well fought. During Sunday’s scenario the officers became suddenly indisposed and Sergeant Major Cornett was left to direct the forces. He did a fine job!

Again my Thanks to everyone who came. I had a great time and I hope you all did as well. Perryville’s staff was quiet impressed and happy with all that we did. I would like to thank them for all of their hard work and letting us use this hallowed ground. I also want to say thanks to the civilians in the Living History Village. The town was great and the quality of the participants in that area was outstanding.
        Spread the word! Next year is coming and we hope to do more of the same.

Your Pard,
        Chad Greene
        Attached Files
        Chad Greene

Comment

Re: Perryville KY 100 Man Company more pics

I just wanted to add another Thank You. John Easley did an outstanding job as being our fighting chaplin. His prayer in the fog really helped the boys out.
          I included the picture of the service.
          Enjoy!
          Chad Greene
          Attached Files
          Chad Greene

Comment

Working...
          X