Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clash at Crittenden Farm

Charles,

Yeah, that 2006 Death March, didn't someone forget to give out the sauerkraut for that affair? I do remember your famous quote about us cooks at Shenandoah '62, "Sauerkraut is not a condiment!":)

Anyway, that was my first of these events and I remember being completely worn out after a day of chasing the rebs all over those hills on their retreat.
    Last year was the year of the ambush as Dave Berendt and others rigged some pretty good looking foliage screens and disguised rifle pits.

The three I've attended have all been different and a good different! That's why I enjoy the event, the men, and why I'm willing to keep on coming to this event!

BTW, thanks to all those; Doug Oakes, Terri, yourself and others that helped plan and set up the event. I enjoyed myself a lot and met some awful good Union men that I hope to see again next year!

Neil Randolph
    1st WV

Comment

Any photos of the event posted online?
      Gregory Randazzo

Gawdawful Mess http://www.gawdawfulmess.com
      John Brizzay Mess
      SkillyGalee Mess
      http://skillygalee-mess.blogspot.com/

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

“These people delight to destroy the weak and those who can make no defense; it suits them.” R.E. Lee referring to the Federal Army.

Comment

Greg,

Like any major A/C event, there just were not cameras waving about. As the wounded were brought out in the wagons at the end of the event, Terri Oakes took some as the loaded wagons came across the river ford.

I imagine all else are 'town shots' ---the modern nearby town that both sets of troops marched through, headed back to the firehall and their cars. They'll be along presently, but right now I imagine the Oakes are still unloading the truck.

The Baptist church kinda spilled right out during Sunday School as the sound of heels plates on hard road competed with the sound of church bells. That produced a camera scramble too....
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Terre,

Terri will likely post the photographs on the DM listserver in the photos section. This listserver is set up much like the one for Winter 1864, as a permanent record, rather than a one shot deal. Of course, "permanent" and online can be quite mutually exclusive at times. Sometimes the Kabuki team can get an image taken here and there, but typically that isn't part of the primary mission. We neither had a designated photographer nor encouraged photography in the confederate company, but if someone was taking images they were good about keeping the camera hidden.

There is one more work weekend in store, and the post event clean up is usually labor intensive. I find it interesting that one of the wagons had the rubber tires switched out for this event, and will go back to rubber fairly soon. As best I can tell, we didn't destroy any sap lines, nor burn down the maple (hard or soft) trees, and the damage to the field corn was minimal. I stopped by the bed and breakfast and bought a large container of maple syrup from Mike, as the price is about half what it is in New England, and there is something to be said for helpin' the landowner a tad. Ley bought a little something for Meredith, too.

I see fresh corn on the cob is not on the menu at The Bunker this week, and that is a good thing.
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Photos have been posted on the listserver in the photo section.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

For those considering kabuki, this is a very special event. All of those considered in this position for DMX were part of the various scenarios, some more than others.

Many thanks are due to every single person who participated. Some came from very long distances. Terre, Doug, Terri and Chawles, well that says it all.
              Ley Watson
              POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Ley,

Something that really bugs me was the presence of two defective hills. On the march to Culpeper Sunday morning, we discovered not one but two hills that went, well, downward. This is something we've never seen at a Death March event before. Up to now, all hills went up, and some went up more than others. This simply cannot be explained by science.

Meanwhile, we have materials scattered from NY to AL, but that is southern NY and northern AL, which makes it all just fine and dandy. (Your co-editor finally has my AAR for the newsletter.)
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Chawls:

Heck, there is stuff in Alabama and Virginia, what I heard. That poor old hatchet, lost again.

We can get DM XI to 60. What kind of "pants" are we talking?
                  Ley Watson
                  POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Ley,

Probably 60 pair of blue and 10 pair of gray, and whatever the three houses of civilians can hold...but that's not the 15 inches of corduroy per day per man....did you know two companies of the 21st KY (US) and 1 company of the 60th Illinois (Skulker John can tell us which one) squared off against some of Martin's Cavalry Brigade in early October....

MARTIN!

Oh, and it was "Martin the Jeweler" in Farmville on Main Street. Those old WFLO radio commercials finally sunk in after all, and the manure spreader commercials were from Bradshaw's south of Blackstone. Ain't road trip memories -- such that they are -- great? Call Flo!
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by Spinster View Post
                      for our little traveling circus, 2009 will be 'Back to the Past' as we are planning on spending much more time in the 18th century. We see the opportunity for a 'twofer' with Death March in August, 2009.

Are you perhaps considering The Battle of Newtown here in sunny upstate NY? If so, you are but a stone's throw from open accomodations and would be more than willing to provide a tour of the local Rev War attractions.
                      [I][B]Terri Olszowy[/B][/I]

Comment

How very kind! Thank you. We'll certainly look at all the options available.

Our 18th century twofer under consideration is much more tame. We've children to take to Williamsburg, and Felicity dresses to make in the meantime for girls and dolls.

This also means we'll have children in hand at Death March, yet another portion of the population that is often underrepresented.
                        Terre Hood Biederman
                        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Working...
                        X