• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Death March #10 Summer 2008

Yes - CS, a proud Boomerang!
    [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
    Dirigo Grays
    CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
    Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

Originally posted by Marc29thGA View Post
      Actually, I just finished Buck’s book and it was full of information and a very enjoyable read over all. Not a sleeper battle history at all, it holds your interest right through.
      OK - I really should of had more coffee this morning before staring across the room at the bookshelf. It was Robert Kirck's Book, "Stonewall Jackson at Cedar Mountain" I just finished.

Geeze - is it Friday yet...?

Sorry about that.
      Dirigo Grays
      CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]

Comment

Richmond Arsenal

As I was digging through some books and surfing the web for ammunition information as possibly related to the 13th VA for DM-X, and one search turned up this site:

I hadn't seen this before and it has some nice accounts of production at and around the arsenal. I have not dug too deep into this site yet, but have enjoyed the few tidbits I have looked at so far.

Still digging and reading....

Take care,
        Dirigo Grays
        CWT[/FONT]

Comment

Re: Richmond Arsenal

One of the best kept secrets in the hobby.

Those of you on the CR listserver have already seen this, and more, but I figure the last few CPH folks from NY, MD, WV, and PA who aren't already registered for this event may want to take a last minute plunge, or not. LOL

================================================== =========================

Folks,

Today is the postmark registration deadline for Crittenden's Farm (a Cedar Mountain scenario) in New Albany PA during the weekend of 22-24 August 2008. I'm heading up the road for the work session, and am passing along this reminder for the usual excellent reasons, plus:

- Doug Oakes of the Living History Guild, and also a CR member, gave me the registration figures for this event last night, and while we all know about Reenactor Math, and the fact registrations do not necessarily translate into the proverbial boots on the ground, this iteration is by far the largest yet. How large? Well, you need to get off your butt, register, and attend. I'm impressed, and not much in this hobby really impresses me anymore.

- Mike Epler (also an LHG member) and his extended family, friends, and neighbors, are turning themselves inside out to support this event from the mystery forage items to water tanks to moving equipment and "farm stuff" around so we don't trip over it. Anyone who will plant a small corn field in this day and age (think diesel prices, even with the ag discount) for the sole purpose of having reenactors destroy it, is pretty damn special.

- New Albany is close to I-81, I-80, US 15, PA 14, and US 220. Look it up on Mapquest, and it is closer than you may think in terms of time and distance. I'm surprised to see we not only have 2 out of the 3 reenactors in Maine coming to this event, but 1 individual from as far away as Washington State.

- Gas prices are dropping. Okay, so a dime per gallon doesn't buy much anymore, but at least the price isn't hovering around $5.00 per gallon the way it was predicted -- knock on wood. If you haven't managed to get to an event this year, then this is a good one to get the wool and jeanwool on again.

- The site itself is pretty, and while not pristine in the strictest since (some of the maple syrup operation is visible in places, but I find it interesting nonetheless) the town is at least as nice as McDowell or Mespo; the stream is ours to use, and once we cross "Cedar Run" the modern world is pretty much left behind, so this isn't one of those dreaded encampment and skirmish events. While this event isn't 8 or 10 square miles like many of the previous renditions, the site compensates by having certain admirable vertical qualities.

- The $15 covers the usual event insurance, and period rations and forage items. I find insurance to be a necessary evil, but the latter interests me, in that Terri typically takes a lot of care to prepare period foodstuffs, and some of the ways people find their rations can be out of the box, pushing the envelope, or whatever the trendy term for boogity is this week. Corn and corn by products may well be in your future.

- Like Jackson at Cedar Mountain, my butterknife may or may not be rusted into the scabbard for all I know, as I haven't had the inclination or reason to buckle it on since 2004. Frankly, logistics interests me more than admin or tactics. That's right, some of the current members haven't seen me lead a company in ages, if at all. Since this is Doug's turn to "win," I'm not too worried about it, other than keeping you folks from drowning in "Cedar Run." Oh, and we are going to play with Gilham's again, and from the getgo, no one is going to be perfect, although I have asked Paul Boulden serve as fugelman. Don't have a copy of Gilham's? Well, here is a start on a digtal library:

- Snoring loudly will be permitted Saturday night. After all, you will have crossed a fine body of water, found some food somewhere, climbed a right fair hill, destroyed some cornfield, recovered your wounded pards, and otherwise used the majority of an approximately 1-square mile site. I can't give it all away, but period transportation has been a recurring theme for the last few of these events, and this one is not likely to be an exception, and, should you do so, a period opportunity to clean your funky ass may present itself.

- I'm pretty sure if you are reading this and you can't get the darn thing in the mail until Monday that nobody is going to find a ruler and whack your knuckles. That being said, don't test it. As you know, much depends upon having an accurate headcount forecast.

Let's make this easy. No online folders to find. No documents to download. No .pdf files to wade through. The registration materials are posted in many places, but this can be pasted into an email or MS-Word document, just copy, paste, print, complete, and mail it to Doug with a check for $15.

================================================== ====================

Clash at Crittenden's Farm
          Death March X
          Aug 22-24, 2008

Sponsored by: The Living History Guild
          Potomac Legion Member Unit

This year's event will focus on the fighting between the Confederate
          skirmishers and one of the two leading regiments that crossed Mrs.
          Crittenden's cornfield. It is our tenth anniversary and we are hoping
          to have several opportunities built into the event that aren't often
          an option to actually execute.

Event impressions:
          Federal - 111th Pennsylvania Infantry, 1st Maine cavalry, Knapp's
          Battery E, Pennsylvania Light Artillery
          Confederate – 13th Virginia Infantry, 7th Virginia Cavalry

FEE: $15.00 - covers rations & event insurance

Registration Deadline: until filled or Aug 1, 2008 which ever comes
          first. The hosts reserve the right to freeze registrations to
          maintain appropriate force ratios.

================================================== ===================

Registration Form
          "Clash at Crittenden's Farm"
          Aug 22-24, 2008

STARTS FRIDAY @ 10 pm
          Later arrivals MUST coordinate in advance.
          On site cellular service is limited.

Registration is by individual & open to all Potomac Legion member
          units. Non-PL units or individuals should contact the appropriate
          US/CS commander PRIOR to registration.

Send registration/checks ($15.00), by Aug 1, 2008 payable to:

Douglas Oakes-- 2627 Comfort Hill Road, Wellsburg, NY 14894

Last Name: _________________________________

First Name: ________________________________

Telephone#: ________________________________

Mailing Address ____________________________

Do you belong to a Potomac Legion member unit? YES NO
          Have you served in a leadership position before? YES NO
          Would you be interested in filling an NCO position if needed YES NO

Home unit affiliation: ________________________________________

Event Impression: US Inf Cav Art
          CS Inf Cav Art
          Civilian (invitation only)

Military participants MUST be over 16 to carry a firearm.
          I am over the age of 18. YES NO (If not, then provide the
          following information) I am under 18 but over 16 and will be
          accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.

Name: __________________________

Relationship: _____________________

Contact information: ______________________

Do you possess any medical training? Yes No If yes, indicate
          certification:_______________________

Emergency contact:

Last Name: _________________________________

First Name: ________________________________

Telephone#: ________________________________

Mailing Address ____________________________

List any allergies or medical conditions impacted by an extended foot
          march under the above conditions.
          __________________________________________________ ____________________

Medical information will be kept confidential. If you prefer, bring the info
          in a sealed envelope to the event. Envelopes would only be broken
          open in case of medical emergencies and will be returned to you
          unopened at the end of the event if not used.

I understand this event requires good health & can potentially cause
          injury to me or others and shall hold harmless the Living History
          Guild and its members from all instances in which any injury should
          occur. I have faithfully represented the information above & provided
          necessary personal medical history for use in emergencies.

Printed Name: ____________________________

Signature: _______________________________

Date: ______________________

================================================== ===================

I look forward to seeing you there, and remember, these efforts typically end early Sunday morning, so people can use that day as travel time....and Rob Carter is seeking good folks with rifles for this one.
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Well, another year has passed....and a couple of items are worth mentioning.

Registration is closed, although a couple of envelopes may slip in there tomorrow and Wednesday.

Fish might not be jumping in knee deep Cedar Run, but the mudbugs are aplenty.

The work day stretched into two days, and quite much was accomplished. I sure hope Mrs. Crittenden likes her house and barn, and Calvary Church is probably in better shape than the original.

With 11 water points it is possible to go thirsty, but I don't rightly see how.

I'd feel bad living in PA or NY and missing this happy little gathering.

Time to load up the listserver.

Nice maps, too.

See ya soon.

P.S. The second site visit for DM XI (2009) went well, too. Don't toss away those "ANV visits the AOT" impressions just yet...not just yet.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Any chance that someone might have a few original images of the men from the 13th VA?

Thanks,

Paul B.
              Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
              (Loblolly Mess)
              [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Paul,

Pvt. Kennedy Palmer, Co. H, 13th Virginia is an excellent image. A photo from the MOC collection is reproduced on page 82 of Rigg's H.E. Howard regimental, and may be online. Buck, Terrill, and Macon are also in that collection, as well as some postwar shots and that Powell Hill feller. Palmer's image is dark, but his blanket roll is plainly visible, and he is wearing, er, um, well, some darn nice looking boots. His weapon appears to be an Enfield with a sling.

Palmer was born circa 1843, was a printer by trade (one of 8 in the regiment), and enlisted on 4/19/61 at Winchester in Company H. He was absent sick during the period Sept/Oct 1861 to Nov/Dec 1861. No record is found for him from Jan 1862 to October 1862, except for POW at Shepherdtown 5/7/62. He was at Fort Delaware, and exchanged 8/5/62 at Aiken's Landing. Wounded at Bolivar in his right leg, which fractured it on 7/4/64. Absent through final muster 2/28/65. Died 13 Jan 1916, and is buried in Riverview Cemetery, Richmond, Virginia. He was listed as a "good soldier." This is from the roster in the back of Riggs' book.

Young Palmer looks a lot like Caleb Horton, only better fed.
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

When we arrive in New Albany, where exactly do we go to check in to the event? Cant seem to find that in this thread or in the info packet. Sorry if I missed it.
                  Gregory Randazzo

Gawdawful Mess http://www.gawdawfulmess.com
                  John Brizzay Mess
                  SkillyGalee Mess
                  http://skillygalee-mess.blogspot.com/

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

“These people delight to destroy the weak and those who can make no defense; it suits them.” R.E. Lee referring to the Federal Army.

Comment

There was a posting to the list server today which has that info in there (Final Adminstrivia). There are some directions to the Fire House to where I assume registration is.
                    Matt Lovejoy

Comment

I'm sure this will seem redundant to those of us on the YahooGroup...but the following was posted this afternoon:

Directions :

New Albany Fire Department Address – 75 Main St, New Albany PA
                      Below is the best way into New Albany, but you are certainly welcome
                      to use whatever route you wish.

From the South-
                      o Choose your poison to Williamsport PA & take Route 220N
                      o Stay on 220N until you see a large white sign that says NEW
                      ALBANY PARISH
                      o About ˝ mile on right you will see a Dandy Mart & a large
                      whit sign with CW painted on it
                      o Turn right
                      o Drive through parking lot to the rear & you will see the
                      New Albany Fire Department just to the left across the street.

From the north:

o Choose your poison to I86/SR17 Waverly exit 60
                      o Stay on 220S until you see a large white sign that says NEW
                      ALBANY PARISH
                      o About ˝ mile on left you will see a Dandy Mart & a large
                      whit sign with CW painted on it
                      o Turn left
                      o Drive through parking lot to the rear & you will see the
                      New Albany Fire Department just to the left across the street.

Cell service can be hit & miss along 220 & areas of New Albany

Emergency numbers:
                      Terri Olszowy 607-425-5222 cell
                      Epler Bed & Breakfast 570-363-2350 land line
                      Looking forward to a great event!

Paul B.
                      Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                      (Loblolly Mess)
                      [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Folks who are planning to attend this event, and are not on the event listserver or failing to read their pre-event information may find a rude awakening in store. Just a thought.

Time to catch up with the pre-event reading
                        [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Sorry Im not a member of "the group".

Thanks Paul for your help.
                          Gregory Randazzo

Gawdawful Mess http://www.gawdawfulmess.com
                          John Brizzay Mess
                          SkillyGalee Mess
                          http://skillygalee-mess.blogspot.com/

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

“These people delight to destroy the weak and those who can make no defense; it suits them.” R.E. Lee referring to the Federal Army.

Comment

Greg, that is the single most amazing thing I've read all day. Catch up with me sometime and explain the rationale.
                            [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Folks,

Looks like some of the AARs outside of the listserver wound up in this thread, so here's a connector to connect the dots:

Terri posted 41 photographs last night on the listserver in the photo section here:

In looking ahead to next year, and one of the possible themes (corduroy) the Official Records contains nearly 300 references to corduroying roads, to include some how-to information about stringers (and the lack thereof duringthe Peninsular Campaign), covering with brush and soil, or just soil alone. Pretty neat stuff, and there is more out there about using side rails and small branches as "forks."

On to the next event!
                              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Working...
                              X