This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Federal Campaigner Co. for Brice's Crossroads

To all my fellow re-enactor friends who've shared their opinions within this thread, let me apologize for the un related "bull crap" that went on between Dale and Myself while I was in Gettysburg...I'm very sorry you wasted your time reading that. You'll notice, if you read all that, that I made the comment that the conversation needed to get back on subject.

As to making WIG, CPH, or IPW, type and style events, rest assured that most of us in the 16th La. want to make these events when we can. We'd like to support the event, their host, and the goals for the betterment of this side of the hobby. Unfortunately, and like some have already said, real life can get in the way. I'm very happy for those 7% ers who were able to fit the IPW event in their schedule, in fact I'm jealous ! I read the AAR's and was very impressed with the efforts made by Tom and others, to make IPW the great experience it sounded like it was. Three cheers to you all.

As for coming to B.C., or rather my invite to join us. If you want the event to shape your experience then don't come. I doubt very seriously the event will feed your needs. I'm going because the weekend is available to me, and there is an "event" that weekend. Mainstream yes, but never the less a good opportunity for me and my fellow unit members to enjoy each others company, and maybe in spite of it all have a good time putting forth the effort to get better as a reenactor and at the least be in a company of men of like mind.

For sure don't come to the event because I'll be the Captain of this consolidated company. I pale in comparrison to the Terry Sorchy's and Pat Craddock's of the the hobby. However, I'm working as hard as I can to hone the impression, and carry the title.

Additionally, I'm very sorry for the delay in getting the previous post up. I had emailed the information to those who are on the list. But was waiting on some others who are still in the process of trying to get their schedules worked out, so because of that I'm tardy.

As for whether or not the invite merits being posted here on this site, well let me say it isn't posted on the other site for obvious reasons, and I'd assumed it met the minimum standards for posting here. If you will bear with me the date will be here and gone in just over two weeks and I'll refrain from posting another invite.

In closing, I'll publically ask my fellow unit member Dale Beasley to please refrain from making any additonal post concerning this thread. I hope to post additional names to the list very soon. And I'll look for you Joe in the crowd of spectators...maybe we'll see you at Jarnigans. Sorry this consolidated effort doesn't appeal to you, I know I'd enjoy your company and I'm sure I would learn a lot from you.

Respectfully,
    Last edited by boreguard; 05-29-2009, 12:41 AM. Reason: spelling
    Dennis Neal
    "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
    David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
    Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
    [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
    J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Dennis,

I'll look forward to seeing all y'all at Brice's too, from my vantage point on some water wagon or another, switchel bucket in hand.

Joe's silence over the next few days should not be taken to hold any meaning. When last we spoke, he was above Bristol, planning on stopping for the night somewhere around Staunton, and he'll meet us in Hagarstown shortly.

Its A Mighty Rocky Road,
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

"I pale in comparrison to the Terry Sorchy's and Pat Craddock's of the the hobby."

Dennis,
        The only way you could possibly top Sorchy would be to not only leave the keys to your writing desk in Kisatchie, but the writing desk also. You fellows have fun at Brice's X. I know their will be a few Ground Hornets there and knowing them if they are sober enough to gather at the funnel cake stand, they will.
        Tom Yearby
        Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes Tom, I'll listen for the buzz and that should lead me to a "Hornets Nest" :) Mrs. Lawson, it'll be a treat to see you all as well. Gods speed.
          Dennis Neal
          "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
          J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Originally posted by Spinster View Post
            Amazingly enough, the phrase "Who Is Us" was coined by Joe Smotherman.
            Sorry to burst the bubble here, but that was coined by Ike Gatlin and Patrick Craddock during a conversation on the way home from an event after listening to Duke Culberson talking about the "us" in the hobby - and we feeling that his idea of "us" was watered down from what those in this area considered to be "us." So, on Ike's behalf, I'll state for the record that we can be thanked for getting that question started.
            PATRICK CRADDOCK
            Prometheus No. 851
            Franklin, Tennessee
            Widows' Sons Mess
            www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

Dennis and Dale,

If you guys and the 16th don't go to campaign events then there sure are a lot of people using your names. Shoot, these whole 4 years I've thought I was falling under captain Neal or him under me, but I guess me and the Independent Rifles were fooled again.
              Patrick Landrum
              Independent Rifles

Comment

Pat you didn't know that there were imposters in this hobby did you ? That's the problem nobody around here is who they say they are :) Don't let Liz eat wedding cake, that'll cause all kinds of problems !
                See ya
                Dennis Neal
                J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

I thought that Pat Landrum fella was the company drunkard...he's a Captain?

I may have to reconsider my Company if I make it to Bummers. I thought we were gonna drink and sleep all weekend.:tounge_sm
                  Galen Wagner
                  Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
                    Galen,

I'm not calling anyone out for attending Brices. As I said, if there were sufficient information to make me interested in the event, I might participate. As it is, I am actually planning to drive down with the wife and spectate. I can go as a spectator and still get what I want from the trip ... seeing some old friends and running by Jarny's to look at something in hand before I order one sight unseen.

And I know "life happens". I've had medical emergencies, unemployment, burn out, and lack of funds keep me from events over the years. But, when I can go to an event, I look for one that has something to offer that makes it worthwhile. I don't run out to the first farb event that hits the calendar and try to make it work for me.

For the record, I didn't consider Resaca because it was also a mainstream event with an adjunct. I had no secondary reason to attend and the dates were very close to my vacation. I do give credit, though, that the people organizing the adjunct put together some information and research and added some special touches that made their effort seem worthwhile. Reading the AARs, I think missed a good time. But, they didn't hype it and pimp it with useless posts that bumped it needlessly to the top every day.

Joe,

I'll buy you a twelve pack of your favorite beer if you fall in with us. Seriously.

Mike Phineas
                    Arlington, TX

(P.S. I know some of you friends may be wondering why I'm hitting this event after missing so many good ones the last two years. You may as well ask why the stars align the way they do. It just worked out.)
                    Mike Phineas
                    Arlington, TX
                    24th Missouri Infantry
                    Independent Volunteer Battalion
                    www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
                      Dennis and Dale,

If you guys and the 16th don't go to campaign events then there sure are a lot of people using your names. Shoot, these whole 4 years I've thought I was falling under captain Neal or him under me, but I guess me and the Independent Rifles were fooled again.
                      Pat,
                      Now this may offend some...
                      But...
                      -that is why they call it reenacting.:wink_smil
                      -Dennis is right about the wedding cake, it also causes pregnancy. I should know better than anybody! Jo'an-Clair'e, is beautiful, you'll see her at Camp Moore! I will even let you and Liz borrow her for a few hours. Feeding her now, wouldn't trade anything for it...you'll see.
                      -Don't want to cheer-lead, but I like the Bummers Idea....You putting together a company?...;)
                      -Gouex Tiger Baseball!
                      Last edited by Dale Beasley; 05-29-2009, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Galen,
                        Blakely certainly saw me in rare form. I have never actually stepped out of a vehicle at an event, and immediately started drinking. Civil War Bachelor parties are HELL! I'll never forget "Do you guys want to fall in?" and like a church choir "No!"...shameful indeed! Whats amazing is that I had the federal side a weekend before. First time I was a private in a REALLY long over due time.

Dale,
                        Come on along and bring some buddies. I'll even let Andrew set some stuff on fire.
                        Patrick Landrum
                        Independent Rifles

Comment

Pat,

You know I am just pulling your chain. It was good to see you again, and I would fight with you as a General or Private any day!

Wedding cake doesn't cause pregnancy...but Champagne can.:wink_smil I know.
                          Galen Wagner
                          Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrod Carter View Post
                            Sorry to burst the bubble here, but that was coined by Ike Gatlin and Patrick Craddock during a conversation on the way home from an event after listening to Duke Culberson talking about the "us" in the hobby - and we feeling that his idea of "us" was watered down from what those in this area considered to be "us." So, on Ike's behalf, I'll state for the record that we can be thanked for getting that question started.
                            Yes, I've never taken credit for that line. Charles Heath tried to stick me with that credit on the OTB a couple of years ago and I told him I heard it first from Ike.

And I guess, in some way, I'm just asking again, "Who is us?"
                            Joe Smotherman

Comment

Add Andrew Daire of the 16th La to the list of those attending. Looks great for three more now, but not quite able to confirm yet.
                              Dennis Neal
                              J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Adding Eddie Verett and Luke Bernard of the 16th La. to the list
                                Dennis Neal
                                J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Working...
                                X