X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Federal Campaigner Co. for Brice's Crossroads

Jason,

Mon Sha, I be heading to San Anton also. Enjoy the River Walk and stay at The Crockett if you can. Lazze La Bon Temp.

Comment

Dale,

What Pete, Grumpy Dave and Tom were all politely alluding to are the numerous uninformative posts on this thread. Most of 3 pages of 5 are nothing but personal exchanges that, on the surface, appear to be a pretext to keep the thread active in the folder, as in "bumping for attention". You may or may not notice that some of your posts consisting solely of cheerleader-style "go blue" or "think blue" have been deleted. I alerted the mods and asked to have them deleted. They were pointless.

Dennis has promised multiple time to post a roster of registered attendees for the company and pertinent information about the event, but as yet we have seen nothing. I would be interested to see the information. I'm only three hours away, but so far stripper stories do not induce me to submit to "June in Mississippi wearing wool" for a farbfest. A lack of information or research for the impression tells me that there is nothing interesting about this event. What seperates the role of the 16th from any other unit at this event? Why is this a carpe eventum worthy of space on the AC?

Also, Tom's reference to the definition of "campaigner" is a Heathism: "How do you call yourself a campaigner if you've never been to a campaign event?" Marching a few miles at an otherwise static event does not count as "campaigning". Marching in a column for 30, 50, 60 miles over several days, living from your haversack and knapsack during that time ... that is "campaigning" in the reenacting world. Since Tom just organized, hosted and executed the last couple of grand examples of that genre, he knows that of which he speaks.

Dale, you and Dennis and the other guys in the 16th that I've met are nice guys with good intentions and good impressions, but if you had put as much effort into attending Into the Piney Woods as you are Brices Crossroads, you could have put together a good company for the Federal side and gained an experience that would leave you questioning why anyone would want to attend Brices Crossroads in the first place.
      Joe Smotherman

Comment

Joe,

I wish I could have made Piney Woods...but alas my wifes school schedule did not permit me to leave her with house work etc for that long a trip.

I think that Brice's Crossroads is a mainstream event I plan to attend because it fit my schedule, and with Garrett out of school we can get there in time to enjoy the weekend. His Spring Football game stopped our trip to Resaca (for a two hour Sat evening scrimage) and I am itching to get to the field. Tupelo is close, and gas is expensive.

What will be different is that we will move from bivuac to bivuac, sleep under the stars, and make every effort to accurately portray Western Feds on campaign. Will we succeed? I hope so. I also still hold onto hope that by example we may bring others to this dark side. I see it quite often expressed here...and in mainstream gear sales "over there."

I think it is always a good idea to bring a peice of campaigner to a mainstream event. With non-spectator events, the educate the public thing kinda goes out the window...it is more for me. While I do enjoy that, I am in this hobby to educate those, who will only ever see a mainstream event, as accurately as I can. (Flame suit on)

So for anyone who missed some of the premier events of late due to life, come on out and join us. Not sure why Dennis hasn't posted the roster, but it looks pretty good to me. We'll have fun I am sure...
        Galen Wagner
        Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Okay since Joe was brave enough to stick his foot in it, I must say "ditto". I see lots of folks now organizing 'campaigner adjuncts'. Again, I have no issues with that and there are several adjuncts that I have supported and enjoyed. Trying to improve an event with an adjunct may actually be a noble goal, but one has to question priorities in an already crowded c/p/h calendar. Thus, my issue comes in when the person or groups organizing said 'campaigner adjunct' rarely or NEVER attend c/p/h events. I have to ask where were you when organizers of c/p/h events needed you to support their events? I think you will bring more credibility to the c/p/h community if you FIRST support c/p/h events and then ask us to support your adjunct. In all honesty some of the adjuncts I am seeing organized are at events that are hopeless in regards to any minimum standard of authenticity. So, again, if this hasn't been made clear... Why should we attend your adjunct at a very farby event when you NEVER attend any c/p/h events?

Jim Butler
          'your either wid us or agin us'
          Jim Butler

Comment

Galen,

I'm not calling anyone out for attending Brices. As I said, if there were sufficient information to make me interested in the event, I might participate. As it is, I am actually planning to drive down with the wife and spectate. I can go as a spectator and still get what I want from the trip ... seeing some old friends and running by Jarny's to look at something in hand before I order one sight unseen.

And I know "life happens". I've had medical emergencies, unemployment, burn out, and lack of funds keep me from events over the years. But, when I can go to an event, I look for one that has something to offer that makes it worthwhile. I don't run out to the first farb event that hits the calendar and try to make it work for me.

For the record, I didn't consider Resaca because it was also a mainstream event with an adjunct. I had no secondary reason to attend and the dates were very close to my vacation. I do give credit, though, that the people organizing the adjunct put together some information and research and added some special touches that made their effort seem worthwhile. Reading the AARs, I think missed a good time. But, they didn't hype it and pimp it with useless posts that bumped it needlessly to the top every day.
            Joe Smotherman

Comment

I appreciate the input Joe...which is exactly where I am trying to head with the adjunct at Rivers Bridge in Jan 2010 with research, and following closely actual events.
              Galen Wagner
              Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

I suppose I don't understand the definition of campaigning. If it means marching and covering miles and then plopping down at the end of the day, I understand that. If it means walking from the parking lot to the camp site, or marching from one camp site to another camp site at the same location, or walking up to the funnel cake stand or posing in your uberkewl kit along sutler's row, then I don't understand the revised definiton. I don't care who does or doesn't go to Brices. I don't care how they play their role. I do care about calling anything that doesn't mean marching most of the day a campaign event, and carpe eventum, adjunct or what ever the new phrase for "let's go to a mainstream event and have fun" is called leave me with a blank stare. I am all for fun. What it all boils down to is not the kit, but the event and ones attitude toward the event. If I go to the circus, I expect to see clowns and would be disappointed if I didn't see them. But the idea of merging the different segments of the hobby into one happy huggy/feely love fest makes me ill. As I posted on another thread, the part of the hobby I want to be associated with were on a muddy forest service road on a cold rainy morning in March down in Kisatchie. You all have fun doing it however you wish to do it but I don't see the term "fun" in the OR's, diaries or journals of the men who actually fought that war when battles are spoken of. As for Jason Tibbytoe not liking people on high horses, I figure that is how he feels about rain also.
                Tom Yearby
                Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Yea..i don't particularly like the rain. But I really don't like standing in it at work either, which it what I had to do the week you all were in the woods. You know what makes it worse? When your boss tells you, "If you take off that week, you might as well not come back." I took the job over the fun (marching in the rain, that is).
                  [SIZE="4"][FONT="Impact"]Jason Thibodeaux[/FONT][/SIZE]
                  Independent Rifles
                  Swamp Angels
                  Pelican Civil War Lodge #1861

Comment

Jim,

My son only recently got me back into campaigning. Give us some time...your event will fit into our extremely busy schedule sooner or later.

I inteded to support the Harris Homestead LH and East Atlanta...but MSU football camp is June 5-9th, and we will be in SC July 16th - 19th. Resaca was out due to Spring Football game.

Sigh....
                    Galen Wagner
                    Mobile, AL

Comment

Tom,

I understand the desire to feel the experience of the soldiers. Maybe living it for 10 years, sleeping in water up to my chest in fighting holes, and getting Hypothermia in the mountains of Albania gave me my fill.

To me this is an educational outlet for me to show people what a soldier's life was like. I don't need to march 25 miles to know what it is like...I have marched that far into combat before...so I already know.

I do ocassionally enjoy Piney Woods type events, and certainly plan to get my son into a few of them so he can experience it. All part of his education...like reading Co Aytch and writing a summary of each chapter while out of school.

I think what is missed here is that the adjuncts are a way to educate the public, and hopefully draw those led astray to a more realistic representation.

Problem I struggle with is that most folks (tater) see only tents and yellow trim at most events and think that is what living history is about. At Ft Blakeley, while our progressive company kinda got combined with the streamers for the event due to numbers...the spectaters gravitated towards our site of stretched shelter halves/blankets, and filthy scoundrels, and actually seemed to realize what they saw on the other side was unrealsitic.

I think using the tem Campaign Adjunct means campaigners/progrssive/authentic living historians will get together for the event. Maybe we should call them Authentic adjuncts...instead of campaigner adjuncts. I kinda see your point, but "campaigner" is a broadly developed term describing those of us who try to be accurate in our portrayals...folks who frequent this site.

Nobody called BC a campaign event, but a "campaigner" adjunct...kinda muddy I guess.

Respectfully,
                      Last edited by GWagner; 05-28-2009, 03:54 PM.
                      Galen Wagner
                      Mobile, AL

Comment

Galen,

Please don't feel like we are jumping on your case. I would take it as a compliment that we would rather have you and your guys come out with your fellow c/p/h reenactors at true c/p/h events several times a year. It shows support from your end to the c/p/h community and thus folks will be more likely to reciprocate. For example, the Resaca adjunct was supported I feel because the WIG and Armory Guards are an integral part of the c/p/h community. They support and organize c/p/h events first and adjuncts seem secondary. I know SCAR feels the same way and this is why we wanted to support the WIG as we know we can count on them to not only put on a good adjunct, but also we know they are part of the c/p/h community. Being part of the c/p/h community can't be accomplished on a keyboard or by ONLY attending mainstream events. With the recent passing of Mr. Heath, I feel compelled to quote him..."Who is 'Us'"?

Regards,
                        Jim Butler
                        Jim Butler

Comment

Amazingly enough, the phrase "Who Is Us" was coined by Joe Smotherman.

And I look forward to seeing Joe at Brices. I will be hauling water and feed for some mules who will be hauling water and feed for some men.

I hope Joe brings me some ice cream, and a funnel cake for ROB.

Mule skinnin' doan pay much.
                          Terre Hood Biederman
                          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Jim,

I took no offense.

Having attend events like Pumpkinvine Creek, Recon on the Rappahannock I and II, Picket's Mill I through whatever, Immortal 600, and numerous living histories with Marse Craddock and John Cleveland and the SRR as well as numerous other events in the past that have long since been forgotten, and being "out of the hobby" for several years, I understand completely.

The idea of the RB adjunct came to me after attending the event that was my first in 1995. I hope it turns out well, and is getting good support so far. If it pans out, the cph contingent will be the federal force.

My schedule for the next little bit is limited to what fits into the schedule...like BC, Fort Morgan, and a few living histories. Bummers is up in the air because of a promise I made to an old pard who picked ticks off of me in a Lynchburg hotel after Recon I many years ago. I may be in Charleston that weekend.

But, I certainly plan to attend (with the boy in tow) a few quality events in 2010. One being the Outpost event, and the other Struggles of Secession. I also plan to hit the Raymond LH. Last time I was there a fella got shot in the nuts 10 feet away...as spine shivers.

Got your PM. Will respond tomorrow after mulling the possibilities.
                            Galen Wagner
                            Mobile, AL

Comment

The purpose of this communiqué is to inform you about how best to prepare, make you aware of who is attending, and answer some of your questions.

If you haven’t registered I’m told you’ll be able to on site. If you are reading this and are planning to go, but you’re not on the list below please let me know.

First, we’re going “campaign” style. Shelter halves, small fly’s, or without will be the most you need to bring.
                              Prepare your own haversacks for the weekend, in other words as if you’d just been issued prior to stepping off.
                              Pack enough rounds to re-fill your cartridge box at least once.
                              The rest of your load will be your decision, but warm weather will be the most likely weather we’ll have, so at least pack two changes of socks.

The Impression is Federal, Western Federal as we’ve come to call it. There are no particular event standards that I can see which would be a problem for us, but as to the impression standards within this consolidated company let me encourage you to put forth effort to exceed the event standards. There should be no surprises for your fellow company members when someone opens a knapsack, haversack, or takes of their shoes off. The commands will be out of Hardee’s Manual

I haven’t paid a lot of attention to the scenario, or even how much we’ll possibly move about. I really don’t find it’s a useful or productive thing to worry about, but I am hoping we’ll move around a bit, and ideally not camp in the same place twice. So I’m preparing to that end.

There aren’t very many of those who’ve registered with the event host that have done so as Federal, but they’re requiring all those attending to be prepared to galvanize. Therefore I wouldn’t worry about the size of the Federal Infantry. We won’t have to pack extra gear to haul. We won’t have to waste time retreating to the wagon lot to change impressions. All of that is a waste of time and energy that we’ll not have to expend.

I’ve asked for an emergency contact name and number for you all to have to leave at home in the event that home needs to get in touch with you. I’ll send that out as soon as I get it.

If our company were to have any particular medical needs on site we’ll have a highly experienced emergency room nurse in our ranks. Lt.Col. Dale Beasley will be in attendance. I’d recommend that if there is any thing about your personal health that isn’t a big concern, but you might feel better if some one knew just in case, share it with Dale. You can trust that Dale will respect your privacy. Being prepared for the worse is never a bad thing.

The list of those attending is as follows:

Dennis Neal
                              Ross Burkenstock
                              Bob Watkins
                              Dale Beasley
                              Wes Beasley (registered, but may be out)
                              Andrew Pecquet
                              Charles Pecquet
                              Ian Pecquet
                              Tyler Gibson
                              Galen Wagner
                              Garrett Wagner
                              Mike Phineas
                              Garrett Silliman Amory Guards
                              Cal Kizner

I expect this list to grow, but as you all know we may lose some as we get closer, just like we usually gain some. Maybe you can prod some more to join us.

Finally, please let me know when you will arrive. It’d be great if we could get the bulk of our company together early Friday. I’m not so concerned with participating in any of the movements Friday as much as it’d be good to form the company, get some drill in, visit, tour the sutlers, make camp, and relax. I’m not opposed to a Thursday or Friday morning tour of the battlefield and the visitors center as a group.

I’ll continue to update you as necessary, but this is the longest missive from me that you’ll need to read. If you have any questions by all means ask ‘em. I’m looking forward to seeing you all there.

My best,
                              Dennis Neal
                              16th La. Inf/12 Conn Vol. Inf.
                              Dennis Neal
                              "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
                              David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
                              Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
                              [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
                              J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
                                Dale,

What Pete, Grumpy Dave and Tom were all politely alluding to are the numerous uninformative posts on this thread. Most of 3 pages of 5 are nothing but personal exchanges that, on the surface, appear to be a pretext to keep the thread active in the folder, as in "bumping for attention". You may or may not notice that some of your posts consisting solely of cheerleader-style "go blue" or "think blue" have been deleted. I alerted the mods and asked to have them deleted. They were pointless.

Dennis has promised multiple time to post a roster of registered attendees for the company and pertinent information about the event, but as yet we have seen nothing. I would be interested to see the information. I'm only three hours away, but so far stripper stories do not induce me to submit to "June in Mississippi wearing wool" for a farbfest. A lack of information or research for the impression tells me that there is nothing interesting about this event. What seperates the role of the 16th from any other unit at this event? Why is this a carpe eventum worthy of space on the AC?

Also, Tom's reference to the definition of "campaigner" is a Heathism: "How do you call yourself a campaigner if you've never been to a campaign event?" Marching a few miles at an otherwise static event does not count as "campaigning". Marching in a column for 30, 50, 60 miles over several days, living from your haversack and knapsack during that time ... that is "campaigning" in the reenacting world. Since Tom just organized, hosted and executed the last couple of grand examples of that genre, he knows that of which he speaks.

Dale, you and Dennis and the other guys in the 16th that I've met are nice guys with good intentions and good impressions, but if you had put as much effort into attending Into the Piney Woods as you are Brices Crossroads, you could have put together a good company for the Federal side and gained an experience that would leave you questioning why anyone would want to attend Brices Crossroads in the first place.
                                Joe,

First let me apologize, that the "cheer leading" for my company and for my Commander irritated you enough to contact a moderator. I appears to me that you have a more "open ear" with them than I do.

But let me say again for the record go blue.

Where I find the references from Tom and other references to what you call Heath ism amusing, I also keep in perspective what is actually a campaigner, I realize until one spends 11 months 14 days in a tent, in a middle of a bloody desert...well you know what I mean. For if marching 30 plus miles is the new defination of campaigning, then there are alot of us who need to head to the gym more. but I am game, spent 13 years in the real Infantry, and I thought Port Gibson Death March was one heck of a march....

I have found that what separates the role of the 16th Louisiana Infantry from the rest of the Units on a field is it's attitude to what a Unit/Company is. We have found that if we go as a Unit, which is voted upon, we find the magic/enjoyment of an event is there.

The Piney Woods Event, where we regret that we were unable to attend, many of us were not able to arrange our schedules. I for one was unable to convince the Regular Army that attending a "Authentic Civil War Reenacting " event over-road training soldiers to deploy to Operation Iraqi Freedom...for that I am truly sorry. However, this year since "stop-loss" has been lifted, I am able to retire early in November after 30 years. This will allow, I hope, if we don't tell the wife, more time to attend those type of events.

In reference to Dennis, not updating you or others on our current event status, I have found him always responding to our Units call, even though he has a business territory about half the size of the Confederacy. Give him a call if you are serious about falling in a with a Unit who voted to attend a Farbfest, much like Rosacca, forgive my spelling. However, I believe you would not enjoy the company, for we enjoy our lazze fare / and fellowship we have with one-another.

All in all, this is still a hobby, and with a hobby we do what we can when we can, we intend to push forward and have the best Unit on the field as we do in any event that we attend, and enjoy it.

Thank you for your enlightenment.

P.S. Dennis, Wes will be at the Naval Academy.
                                Last edited by Dale Beasley; 05-29-2009, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X