Mike Phineas
    Garrett Silliman Amory Guards
    Cal Kizner
    Andrew Daire
    Eddie Verrett
    Luke Bernard
    Luke Garrett
    Dennis Neal
    "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
    David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
    Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
    [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
    J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Re: Federal Campaigner Co. for Brice's Crossroads

If you're not attending this event, read at your own risk.

Here’s the emergency contact information that you can leave with family members at home should they need to get in touch with you in the event of an emergency.

The phone in question will be at the FD/EMS command center which will be in the basement of the Church at Brice's Crossroads and it is my understanding it will be monitored 24/7. The number is 662-706-1602. The address of the event site (and the church in question) is 102 CR 833, Guntown, MS 38849.

Let your family know that your “with the 16th Louisiana as Federal,”. This will help the event staff narrow down where you’re at a little quicker.

To date we’ve two casualties, Dale Beasley’s son and Tyler Gibson. Dale’s son is at Annapolis Naval Academy this week through next weekend, and Tyler is going to apprentice the ways of sutlery with Carter & Jasper, so he’ll be at the event just not with us. Keep your hands on your pocket books when visiting this establishment.

The 7 day forecast has no surprises weather wise. It’ll be the typical Summer pattern of slight chance of scattered showers in the afternoon’s (30% or less) With temps. Reaching a high of 90% and low of 70%. I mention this to suggest that you pack extra socks for sure, and possibly an extra shirt.

Garrett Silliman asked that I find out what regiment we’ll portray. I’ve sent asked the question , but no reply yet. However in reading a little (not a ton written about the infantry) on the battle I find there was only 8100 Federal soldiers total, 3,300 cavalry and 5,000 infantry but I do know so far that the 9th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment, as well as the 95 Illinois Infantry were present. Gen. Samuel G. (or D. I’ve seen it mentioned as one then the other) Sturgis was in command. They left Memphis on June 1st 1864 moving toward Tupelo, and were engaged by Gen. Forrest on the 10th. The Federals were beaten by the smaller force of Forrest and eventually sent back to Memphis from whence they came. The federals were poorly equipped and supplied, they’d also been working on half-rations. After the battle Gen Sturgis lost his command and spent the rest of the war behind a desk.

At this point I don’t know what corps the 9th Min. Or 95th Ill. belonged to. The picture that I’ve developed from the little I’ve been able to find here in my library, is that this contingent of Federals were more without than with. While I wouldn’t say they were shoe less or in complete rags, they were however haggard by the 7 day trip from Memphis to Ripley, Ms. Ripley is the location where the Federals were when Forrest confirms their direction and presence and makes his final plan as to when and where to assault Sturgis.

So, with that little bit of information we get an idea of the disposition of the Federals we’ll portray…tired, haggard, pissed, and probably no confidence in overall command. This shouldn’t be hard for us to project ;) I hope all’s coming along well with your preparations. I’ll arrive in Tupelo Thursday afternoon late and plan to be at the site Friday morning to assess our bivouac area and look for other advantages as well.

At this writing we are only 16 rifles, and 1 officer, some late comers are expected. The NCO staff consist of Andrew Pecquet as 1st Sgt., Galen Wagner 2nd Sgt., Ross Burkenstock 2nd Cpl. and Luke Bernard as 4th Cpl.

If I can tend to anything ahead of time that’ll help you please feel free to call on me.
      YOSB,
      Dennis Neal
      Dennis Neal
      "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
      J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Well now,

That ran the gamut from farb-o-rama perzactly what period is it you are reenacting? to right serious mainstreamers and maybe a notch more. Excellent event logistics, which bodes well for these boys as they turn their hands to putting on large scale 150th cycle mainstream big tent y'all come events . Even more so when you tell them what's wrong and they are writing it down as they go. And, the rain of Not Quite Biblical Proportions gave enough down time that some right serious discussions happened about a whole lot of things.

In other words, surprised the hell out of me.

Of course, it also surprised the hell out of me who I didn't see too.

But then, I'm just an old women laid down in a wagon camp with a few extra hands including a 12 year old girl and a small dog, under a couple of shelter halves, a piece of oiled sheeting, and a fine hand sewn fly. From Thursday evening, right on till Sunday up in the morning , when the plug was pulled. The view from the side of an oxcart is an excellent one.

Some fellers drove 900 miles one way looking for one thing, found something else.
        Last edited by Spinster; 06-14-2009, 04:22 PM.
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Ms Lawson,

The hell that I had been predicting at work for three years broke loose Thursday night. By the time I got free Friday, Dennis advised me that some Wizard of Oz weather was going on. Probably could have made it in Sat evening for Sunday's battle...but, I figured with the werather forecast it wouldn't make sense.

With any luck, a Cat 5 Hurricane will hit Ft Morgan Aug 1st.

I am sorry I missed it.
          Galen Wagner
          Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

I have never had an experience in life that a Bob Dylan song could not be applied to... This was no different,

"A Hard Rain is Gonna Fall"- Bob Dylan

Comment

I kid you not, when we got there the Underwater Search & Recovery Team was parked by the church.

Regards,
              Garrett Glover
              Garrett Glover

Comment

You boys need to get AIM accounts....
                [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                Past President Potomac Legion
                Long time member Columbia Rifles
                Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

But, Dave, they already have myspACe and fACebook here!

(I can't make Twitter work for this joke unless I call it twACtor. Charles might have liked that, though.)
                  Joe Smotherman

Comment

Hey Joe-did you end up coming down to spectate?
                    Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

• Re: Federal Campaigner Co. for Brice's Crossroads

The view from the back of a team of asses was good.
                      I had a grand time. Way better than I ever expected.
                      Good logistics
                      Plenty of water
                      Clean portalets
                      good traffic flow
                      plenty of parking
                      plenty of good land
                      contingency plans for contingency plans
                      for the most part, good CS impressions
                      met old friends and made some new ones

What about the bad you ask. If you weren't there, then it doesn't matter.

If water is the color blue,
                      and rain is made of water,
                      therefore rain is blue...

Or is it that the rain washes away blue?
                      Rob Murray

Comment

Garrett Silliman:
                        PM me your email address
                        [U]Nathan Willar[/U]
                        1st MN Vol. Inf.

Comment

Who is "Us"?
                          Joe Smotherman

Comment

Why don't you use your FACebook or MyspACe to post things like this, otherwise you'll clutter this post ? Who knows maybe Grumpy will join you.
                            Dennis Neal
                            J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

If water is the color blue,
                              and rain is made of water,
                              therefore rain is blue...

Or is it that the rain washes away blue?

Rob,

Been thinking about your question, this is the best answer I can think of.

I had a job in the great north woods
                              Working as a cook for a spell
                              But I never did like it all that much
                              And one day the ax just fell.
                              So I drifted down to New Orleans
                              Where I happened to be employed
                              Workin' for a while on a fishin' boat
                              Right outside of Delacroix.
                              But all the while I was alone
                              The past was close behind,
                              I seen a lot of women
                              But she never escaped my mind, and I just grew
                              Tangled up in BLUE.

Comment

Mod Hat On:
                                Several posts here are getting pretty far afield from the topic. These folders are key tools for communication about events. Nonsensicle posts and other nincumpoopery here clutters up the threads and makes it difficult for event organizers and commanders to communicate.

Please stay on topic.
                                John Wickett
                                Former Carpetbagger
                                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
                                X