Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fort Moultrie, SC 1859, May 30th-31st, 2009

Folks,

I did a living history at Fort Moultrie with the Palmetta Living History Association (P.L.H.A.) about 5 years ago and we stayed in the fort from Wednesday through Sunday and I was a very positive experience. About 50 infantry men stayed in one big room and a Mr. Ulmer (Lt. Colonel of an Artillery group) and my cousin Kevin Sinclair and myself stayed in a small room to ourselves. I can still hear the echo of snoring coming out of the larger room.

Point is, if you can go to Fort Moultrie you should go. There are plenty of ghost within the walls. My daughter is getting married next weekend (again) so that is where I will be.
    Claude Sinclair
    Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Thanks for the plug Claude, my congratulations on your Daughter's Marriage and it was a pleasure serving in your command at Resaca also...

Folks, today is the last day for registration. We are at 36 registered participants and do have room for more. We are especially looking for additional Federal Soldiers. If you have any questions please contact me directly at pete.berezuk@gmail.com
      Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Claude:

Thanks, maybe the next LH we have we can get together.

I wish the AC would have placed this on their "upcoming events" calendar. It could have helped. We have worked hard to make this the best antebellum LH possible.
        Gregory Deese
        Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
        "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Fort Moultrie, SC 1859 Living History - Communication #4

Pre-Event Communication #4 was sent out on 24 May 2009.

Unfortunately registration for this event closed on 22 May and we will NOT allow walk-ons.

Please visit the Event Website for further information on this event and feel free to contact me directly at pete.berezuk@gmail.com if you have any questions concerning this event.
          Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

With the 150ths around the corner there will be plenty of opportunities for both sides of the hobby to work together. There's Fort Moutrie, Fort Johnson, Fort Sumter, Fort Marshall(will have to check to see when it was started), the battery and much more. The 26th NC will be coming down and will be SC troops. LH groups will be needed for Fort Sumter and Fort Moultrie. The Governors committee has had several meetings but nothing but generalizations have come from the meetings. There are plans for a week long LH and although artillery can't be placed in the forts, they can be placed on the beaches. The firing on Fort Sumter will be a awesome.
            Claude Sinclair
            Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Okay, here's the plan as I know it, and subject to change.

I am leaving Tuscaloosa Wednesday morning, arriving Charleston Wednesday evening.
              I need to dump event gear at that point, to include tables, buckets, bed ticks and such.

Rob Murray is flying into Charleston Wednesday afternoon.

Thursday morning, Rob, myself and my seven passenger van is leaving Charleston and heading for Maryland. We plan to get in the vicinity on Thurday, and have yet to figure out where we are staying, but we'll find a motel somewhere.

Unless we find a ride for Kimberlee Bruce from Chattanooga up there, we will pick her up at the Baltimore airport on Thursday evening as well.

Friday, we will go to Charles Heath's funeral, and back to Beverly's house. Accordingly to second hand information, Billy Birney says we will then hit the road by 3:00 pm, headed back to Charleston and Fort Moultrie. This puts us back at Moultrie at about, oh, before dawn, on Saturday.

Seats currently occupied in my van---3: Me, Rob, and Kimberlee. Four seats available for the round trip Charleston to Charleston, or any portion thereof.

My cell phone is 205-242-7322. My land line is 205-758-9635. I seem to have one in each pocket right now.

Billy Birney will be driving down to Charleston in the same time frame. Rob is going to try to lay hands on some walkie talkies to make this Midnight Express a bit easier to run.
              Terre Hood Biederman
              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
              Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Missus Lawson,

Given the trying circumstances, I greatly appreciate your efforts to honor Charles and help our humble event in Charleston. I'll be calling later this afternoon to make sure you have directions and other needed information (like Greg Deese's and my addresses).

If you hold to a 3pm departure from Frederick, MD and you go through Culpepper and not Sodom on the Potomac... you can make it to Charleston in 9 hours, putting you here about midnight. I will be up and waiting with my cellphone.

Thanks for the hundred kindnesses and consideration Terre.
                Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Fort Moultrie 1859 Living History Update, 26 May 2009

Comrades,

I'm certain Charles Heath would not want us to belly up on his account. So we will still be holding the Fort Moultrie 1859 Living History this weekend on 29-31 May 2009 as planned.

We do not however want any commitments to the Fort Moultrie Living History to interfere with the commemoration of Charles Heath's life. So, the full registration fee of anyone who is unable to attend the Fort Moultrie Living History because they desire to attend Charles Heath's Funeral will be donated in his name to the Fort Sumter / Fort Moultrie Trust.

It appears that without exception, our registered participants are making arrangements to both attend Charles' Funeral and then come to Fort Moultrie. I am humbled by and thankful for their dedication and perseverance. I wish everyone godspeed on their travels and will be standing by on my cell phone (7575674737) in case we are needed on Friday and Saturday to assist any of the travelers.

During the Fort Moultrie event, we encourage our participants to be in mourning at their discretion. I have some black silk available for mourning bands. Charles was planning to attend the event and spend his time fishing below Fort Moultrie, we will have a remembrance of Charles for the participants there on the shore of the Atlantic Ocean on Saturday Evening 30 May at approximately 7:30pm after the public has left the site.
                  Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Mrs. Lawson and Pete,
                    The 3 PM departure is an 'at the latest' suggestion. Charles taught me a good bit, but the best lesson was 'put the miles behind you before dark...". And I intend to do so this time around by leaving as soon as decorum will allow. "Got some lil white pills and my eyes 're open wide.." and "We've got ourselves a convoy...".
                    Ready to get in the saddle.
                    Bill Birney
                    CRs
                    William Birney
                    Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
                    Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

I know some of our participants are already enroute. I wish them safe travels and look forward to seeing them shortly.

For any emergencies, please contact me directly at (757)567-4737
                      Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

And we are grateful to Kind Providence for the many Traveling Mercies that brought that caravan back into Charleston safely. Regulars and militia at the Fort, guards out, and a magnificent show of lightning in the post-midnight sky. Time for rest, for dawn will come early.
                        Terre Hood Biederman
                        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I would like to offer my thanks as the event coordinator, to all the living historians who made the journey to South Carolina to participate in and attend the Fort Moultrie 1859 Living History this past weekend.

Each participant put their best effort into recreating the Federal Garrison (Company E of the 1st US Artillery), the South Carolina Militia (2nd Company, 16th Regiment) and authentic Civilians providing meals and services on Sullivan's Island.

The Tramp Brigade Organization of Historical Interpreters and I are humbled and thankful for your help in making our event a complete success in its goal to provide the public a recreation of life on Sullivan's Island in 1859.

Over the next 18 months, the Tramp Brigade will be coordinating for a larger event in December 2010 or January 2011, titled "To Prevent the Effusion of Blood" and we look forward to working with the living history community to create an even better experience for our participants and the public for the start of the 150th Anniversay of the War Between the States.
                          Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Pete/Brian/Greg,

I know our group of Virginians had a GREAT TIME!!!

Kiev,

Thanks for tolerating our group of Virginians in the Militia Company.

Paul B.
                            Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                            (Loblolly Mess)
                            [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                            [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                            [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                            [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

I had a good time.

Pete, Brian, Greg, et al.
                              Thank great work. I definatly enjoyed watter boarding Brians son that helped pass the time.

Marvin

Hmmmmm Herbert had a good time too, but nobody wanted to come sleep with him hmmmm.
                              Thats ok he was just lonely waiting on the muscley armed malitia men. hmmmmm
                              Call me!

Herbert P.
                              Marvin Greer
                              Snake Nation Disciples

"Now bounce the Bullies!" -- Lt. David Cornwell 9th Louisiana Colored Troops, Battle of Milliken's Bend.

sigpic

Comment

I am a little late here , but none the less. I had a great time. The site was awsome and the Tramps did a good job hosting the event. This being their first outing I think they did outstanding. Folks just don't know what it's like putting on an event until they do it ...and now they know. Good job gents!

To all who were in the 16 SC. You guys did a good job making a ragtag looking group come full circle. We drilled well and looked the part. Great time being your 1st Sgt.
                                Kiev Thomason
                                a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
                                WIG
                                Armory Guards
                                Forest Park Lodge #399
                                Forest Park GA.

Comment

Working...
                                X