"The Duck River Line-Winter 1863"-JAN 31-FEB 1,2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "The Duck River Line-Winter 1863"-JAN 31-FEB 1,2009

Weve made arangments, I will pick him up and heck I'll even give him a ride home too.
    Burt Page
    Salt River Rifles/75th OVI

Comment

Woo thats was close.Derrick i hate to see you not be able to go.Look foward to seein yall at the D R!!
      Juston Pope
      "Temperance"
      Independent Rifles

Do YOU get tired of hamming and yamming at the Rootbeer stand? Tired of the soft handed authentic movement? PM me and join the IR!

Comment

THANK YOU ELI GEERY (plankholder)! THANK YOU NIKKI GOUGHNOR (soldiersgirl)!

Your selfless attitudes and hard work paid off.. I think everyone walked away with a new experience or a contact of some sort.. Thanks to our civilian counterparts for giving of their time and resources for 'extended periods' so that we fightin' men were comfortably assisted to. Also, I must mention that many states that do not surround Tennessee were represented and I appreciate their drive and sacrifice however great or miniscule. We gave each other hell and ALL put in their share of authenticity in it's many shapes and forms.

Bless ya'll!
        Last edited by Jon The Beloved; 02-01-2009, 02:51 PM. Reason: added thanks
        Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
        Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
        ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
        ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
        ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
        ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
        ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Thanks to Eli and EVERYONE who worked to make this event. Also a hearty thanks to everyone of Company D, 24th Tenn. Infty. who busted their tails to build our works. Thanks to our orderly sgt., Cam Stinnett, who worked tirelessly to keep our posts rotated the entire weekend. It was a pleasure to serve with all of you and I look forward to our next time in the field.
          Matt Woodburn
          Retired Big Bug
          WIG/GHTI
          Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
          "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

I wanted to say thanks to Eli too, also my slouch hat is off to the NCO's and Officers this weekend. It was a honor to serve under and with you and as always, I look forward to other events! The experience of this weekend was awesome, made that much better with great pards...See y'all on campaign...:D

PS- Thanks to Burt Page, so I was able to go!
            Last edited by Rebel Yell1863; 02-01-2009, 05:02 PM. Reason: Nunya
            [B]Derrick Pugh

Western Independent Grays
            S.C.A.R.[/B]

"Yaller-hammer, Alabama, flicker, flicker, flicker,"
            I felt sorry for the yellow-hammer Alabamians,
            they looked so hacked, and answered back
            never a word." ~Sam Watkins

Comment

I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank everyone for coming out to my little ice cream social. As it was going on it was hard for me to really get a feeling for what everyone was getting out of the event, but now the site has been cleaned up and I have had time to ponder on it, I believe it was a memorable experience and hope everyone took a little something home with them. I am kind of blown over by how well a purposely chaotic scenario went so smoothly, with no serious injury or incident. I really would like to thank all of the Dippin Gourds for ALL the prep work you did, as well as the Armory Guards, as always both groups are true pioneers and ambassadors of the dark side of our collective hobby, it would not have been possible to pull this off with out you guys. The scenario could not have been possible without the sound judgment, creative insight and experience that the commanders brought to the table-Brian, Pat-great job-I without a doubt chose the right men for the task. All this being said, it would have just been a cool piece of real estate if it weren't for the caliber of the men who fought over it, thanks guys. I look forward to reading the AAR's.

on a personal note, I loaned a folding saw to the Confederate company for use on "Craddock's Citadel" its not very valuable or even period but was given to me by my father and is of great sentimental value to me, I pray that someone packed it out, I searched the "fort", but could only locate the lost axe.

I am indeed your obedient servant,
              Last edited by plankholder; 02-01-2009, 06:06 PM. Reason: forgot something
              -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
              "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
              "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
              "The Bully Boys"
              "The Hard Case Boys"
              "The Independant Mess"
              29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
              3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Comment

I've been involved in the campaigner side of the hobby since 2001, and can honestly say that this event put some serious high marks on my board that I doubt will ever be out done. This event is definately on my top list, and the Dippin Gourds did one hell of a job, and I look forward to serving with all of you again very soon.

For me any event is great when I get around the guys in the Independent Rifles, I enjoyed myself as an NCO, but my roll was small and the job performed by Kaelin and Pat Lewis went well beyond mine, forgive me guys, it's been a while. Cam filled the orderly Sgt position probably better than any I have seen. Meeting new people and seeing faces I have not seen in a long while was great, but other than local events, that one is it for me until Bummers.

I think I can end on the positive note that most of us marched into those woods and were strangers to each other, except what we read on here, and left out with several new friendships. Eli, like I said right when we were leaving, I hope its on next year! Maybe this time I'll remember the hardbread!

Also, anyone that saw this knows what I'm talking about- Here is our Cap'n when he pulled one of his moves on Saturday afternoon. Poor Horse, never saw it coming. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_RKPGS2vwM
                Patrick Landrum
                Independent Rifles

Comment

I must say I had a ball the whole weekend. This was my 1st full emersion event since I lost the 60 + lbs and except for every muscle in my body hurting I feel fine:D.
                  I must command the whole Command staff for the federal army they did a bang up job. From the capt. down tot he 4th corpral great job.
                  Brian you said this was you 1st independant all over command well you are a pro at it. I serve under your command anytime.
                  To the rest of Co. D I thought I knew a lot of the reenactors but I did meet many more and have several new friend on the AC.
                  Thanks again. See you all soon.
                  A little horse linament please:)
                  Jim "Doc" Bruce
                  War means fightn and fightn means killn.
                  L 'audace, l 'audace, Toujours l 'audace.
                  Every man must know his limitations.

Comment

Great weekend. Everyone on the 2nd Tenn did their job and everyone pulled their weight. Thanks to Eli and and the Dippin Gourds for their work.

I have received a few photographic images, from an unidentified source. I will post them soon.

Very good to see my pards and get in some good spoonin.
                    Thanks Garrett and EB.

Cheers
                    Greg S Barnett
                    Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
                    ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Yes thanks to Eli and the Dippin Gourds for all their hard work. Putting on an event is never easy. Company D 2nd Tennessee, my hat is off to you all. It was an honor to serve as your 2nd Sgt. You performed every duty that was asked of you and then some. I was proud to be part of such a group.
                      [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                      [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                      [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Amazing event. It has already become cliche on this thread, but I'll reiterate, Eli and the rest of the Gourds did a fantastic job (I'll except myself here and take no credit for this, I just showed up :)) with all the preparation and hard work. Great weekend to catch up with old friends and meet some new ones.

Two things I was very pleased to see: 1)Rations on the Confederate side were short. Until our epic feast on Saturday night in celebration of the completion of Fort Thornyvine (alternatively named Rocky Gibraltar, Fortress Craddock, and numerous others, I'm sure) the Confederates were all nearly desperate for food -- constantly. I know that most of second platoon fought all morning on nothing but a handful of raisins, and fought all afternoon on a cup of rice and small lump of sausage. Fantastic stuff, the constant gnawing in the belly really set the mood for me. It was the first event where I honestly wondered when and if we would see another meal. It was the first event that -- until aforementioned feast -- we had an inadequate amount of food, making it, therefore, the first event where the amount of food was historically accurate. Might I suggest we eat as little in the future.

2) I heard some great first-person banter back and forth. Not saying we stayed in character all the time -- far from it -- but those moments were fantastic. Hat tip to the Feds who were out on picket along the hill leading down to the ledge on Saturday afternoon and to my section out there, too, for the best sustained conversation. We ranged from trading, to talking politics (neat TN vs. TN debates), swapping insults, to levelling rifles at each other and defusing mutually assured destruction. It was the sort of roller-coaster experience that brought home the constantly changing circumstances (and therefore constant mental and physical stress) of soldiering. A nod to our guest, Eric Brown, for withstanding my barrage of insults aimed at the loyal population of East Tennessee and for giving back as good as he got.

I know for some folks it was their first go-round with this sort of immersion event and for others it was old hat, but I think there was much to enjoy from every perspective here. I think the question now needs to be -- as always -- how can we as individuals work to improve our personal and group experiences subsequent events, and to DRL's credit there are many lessons to be drawn.
                        Last edited by Pat.Lewis; 02-02-2009, 02:05 PM. Reason: clarification
                        [FONT=Garamond]Patrick A. Lewis
                        [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/"]bullyforbragg.blogspot.com[/URL]

"Battles belong to finite moments in history, to the societies which raise the armies which fight them, to the economies and technologies which those societies sustain. Battle is a historical subject, whose nature and trend of development can only be understood down a long historical perspective.”
                        [/FONT]

Comment

My hat is off to the armory gaurds for making me feel at home, while being so far from home. Cool site, cool senarios.

First time ever taken prisoner, that was an interesting experience. Thank you to my reb capters who kept me fed, water in my canteen, and plenty of tobacco. Overall I think we ate and survived a lot more comfortably than I was expecting. Maybe I am a masocist, but I could have still enjoyed it on less rations and even less sleep and beatings to anyone who broke first person.

Sorry for the lack of goodbyes but I was pretty pumped to get out of hole in the wall tennessee... for a Chicagoian I'd rather be a few houses down from a gang shooting than have to hear "yer not from around here are ya?"

Sunday morning was a great senario I cheers the leadership of Mr. Hicks who if another parley had not been called we would have captured the entire confederate left. Thank you Corporal Eric Brown for the leadership, I'd follow you all the way to andersonville.

Eli you did a heck of a job putting this together, and I hope you enjoyed yourself for all the work that you put into it. I know I had a great time and it was well worth the drive.

My favorite momment was escaping my captors only to be lost in the woods... if only for a half hour or more, it was one of those things that I won't forget.

Brett "Homer" Keen
                          Chicago
                          [I]"Excessively spirited in the pranks and mischief of the soldier"[/I]

OEF 03-04 [I]Truth Through Exploitation[/I]

Comment

Thank you all for the praise and feedback. Although this wasnt the first event that I had organized, this one was a milestone for me and I think it was something special. I know that I learned alot, both how to and how not to. I will never again do an event in this manner and I hope that my next venture will be even smoother and more fulfilling for everyone. I am brainstorming and making a list of all of my defeciencies and areas of lacking, as I am my own worst critic. I have to admit, I was extremely jealous of everyone in the lines as I got to spend so little time there. I was most impressed with the military manner in which BOTH companies functioned. I knew Mr. Hicks could easily command a much larger force, so that was no suprise at what a tight company he and Kiev ran. Being a career enlistedman, I was most impressed with the caliber of the NCO's, most of which had never served a day in the "real" military. You ALL deserved to be mentioned by name and praised for your efforts. One individual really stands out in my mind, Cameron Stinette-WOW, what an impressive job as Ord. SGT. From an NCO's perspective, it was a pleasure to watch you work-as it was with the entire chain of command for both companies. One thing for that was really cool for me was walking over the site during cleanup yesterday afternoon, and seeing how much we changed the landscape. We trashed the property(from a modern perspective), and it really put into perspective the havoc that an enire army would do. I loved the muddy trails shredded by the thuderous hooves of the "Critters", thanks for coming out in force guys-I asked for 3-4 scouts and got a whole calvary detachment! Thanks guys. It was also really neat the way the Confederates robbed the civilians blind, which caused my ear to be chewed off, but really added to the scenerio, for both the Confederates (who had to deal with pissed off ladies) and the Citizens. I dont think when they complained to me about being robbed by the REBS, that they expected the response "SWEET!", but they rose to the occassion and handled matters themselves which created realistic banter. As far a preservation work that YOU made possible, WE had eneough funds left over to make a donation to Shaker Village, for the rebuilding of an original well. I just made a small donation to the AC (thanks for letting us take up so much "e-space" and for all that you do for the hobby), and today I will be sending out another donation to the Atlanta History Center, all in the name of the "Duck River Line". Thanks everyone.

Oh, and by the way- I brought home nearly 100lbs. of leftover rations-I guess no one really had to be hungry, but that was a pretty badass experience too!
                            -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
                            "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
                            "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
                            "The Bully Boys"
                            "The Hard Case Boys"
                            "The Independant Mess"
                            29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
                            3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Comment

Folks,
                              I want to say Thank you to all of you for making such a grand effort in this past weekend! Wow, as many of you know, you would see me smiling:) the entire time....for many reasons!
                              1. I am freezing my butt off
                              2. I am starving but too busy chasing the enemy away and capturing those that got too close!!
                              3. I burned 3 pair of socks up in the fire going home sockless!
                              4. To watch a lot of our new guys experience some realness in the field
                              5. Good times with friends in first person and side banter
                              6. lack of sleep
                              7. wore-out!!
                              and the list goes on and on!!

I felt so blessed to work with Mr. Craddock and Mr. Woodburn, Thank you for allowing me to serve as an NCO.
                              Also to Cameron...yes WOW, man you are great to work with and great to learn from!
                              To Pat and Pat, you guys made me wish my mom and dad named me Pat!
                              To our Corprals..you guys did great and knew when to take charge and were on top of it!
                              To Company D, I loved watching and being apart of this group...as it seemed we were all together and were willing to do anything at anytime.
                              To the federals...thanks for making it hot and keeping us busy and on our toes!
                              To the Critters and company....you guys scare the piss out of me! I aint gonna lie. Thanks to Marse Craddock and Woodburn, they put that fear to rest.

As for preservation and such...
                              I wanted to Thank you personally not only for coming to our event this past weekend and making it very memorable but for donating to a very special place to me...the Shaker Museum at South Union, Ky.
                              As a native, and employee of the Museum it is always a goal to help preserve what we have here at South Union and you all helped out greatly! During the WBTS the Shaker's at South Union suffered greatly and endured a lot. They fed over 50,000 troops of both sides and lost over $100,000 in property. The wells on both sides of the Centre Family dwelling supplied water to all the troops and horses that passed through everyday from 61-65. These water wells are covered up and we would like to put the pumps back in and have them in use. I approached Eli about using the money we got from this past weekend towards the wells and so we have started to make an account!! Thanks to you!! When you come and visit us at South Union you will see and drink from the wells that the soldiers drank from!

I am a proud member of a great community of Living historians...Thank You
                              Kaelin R. Vernon
                              SOUTH UNION GUARD

"Do small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

" Put your hands to work and your hearts to God" -Mother Ann Lee

Comment

Brett,

Thanks for the kind words in regards to the group I'm with. I know how crappy it can be when you arrive without pards at an event. I hope the Armory Guards were not too over the top for you. (I tend to be)

Eric Brown is a good guy to be with, wether it be in the line, or sitting under guard as a prisoner.

If you are down south again look us up.
                                Herb Coats
                                Armory Guards &
                                WIG

Comment

Working...
                                X