2009 Events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Events

A number of folks are submitting events for the 2009 season, and this is within keeping with the spirit and letter of looking two to three years ahead. Feel free to email, PM, or simply post them here. Thanks.

This is the quick and dirty version of placeholders thus far, along with a list of a few holidays.

January

January 16-18, 2009 - Oakley Plantation in St. Francisville, Louisiana.

February

Woodlands II - William Gilmore Simms Plantation near Bamberg, South Carolina.

March

Ft. Granger in late March - Franklin, Tennessee.

April

The Camden Expedition - vic. Jenkins Ferry, Arkansas

SCAR Shiloh NPS LH

6th MS Shiloh NPS LH (right big).

May

The rescheduled Spotsylvania NPS LH.

Champion Hill CWPT opportunity.

June

26 - 28 Wilson's Creek LH and march

July

Open.

August

Open.

September

Open.

October

Open

November

13-15 November 2009 “Bummers” Macon, Georgia

December

Open

A few holidays for 2009:

January

1 - New Year's Day
    19 - Martin Luther King Jr. Day

February

14 - Valentine's Day
    16 - President's Day
    25 - Ash Wednesday

March

17 - St. Patrick's Day

April

1 - April Fool's Day
    5 - Palm Sunday
    10 - Good Friday
    12 - Easter

May

5 - Cinco de Mayo
    8 - Truman Day
    10 - Mother's Day
    25 - Memorial Day

June

14 - Flag Day
    21 - Father's Day

July

4 - Independence Day

August

2 - Friendship Day

September

7 - Labor Day
    13 - Grandparent's Day

October

12 - Columbus Day
    31 - Halloween

November

11 - Veteran's Day
    26 - Thanksgiving Day

December

25 - Christmas Day
    31 - New Year's Eve
    Last edited by dusty27; 09-10-2008, 07:41 AM. Reason: Added June event
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Re: 2009 Events

One correction. The SCAR Federal LH for Shiloh on the annivesary weekend in 2008 and 2010 will be a small events. The one in 2009 and 2011 are larger events.

Thanks,
    Jim Butler
    Jim Butler

Comment

Wilson's Creek National Battlefield
      Date: June 26-28, 2009
      Impression: Mt.Pleasant Grey's 1st Iowa
      Host: Hairy Nation Boys
      We will have a march Saturday and Sunday.
      Public displays
      Sleep Saturday night at Bloody Hill
      Registration will be $20.00 This will cover rations and money left over will be donated to the Friends of Wilson's Creek.
      We will have a website

We are still in the early stages of this living history. The park has given the ok. More information to come this summer.

If you are interested please contact me at: headlog@gmail.com
      Nathan Hellwig
      AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
      "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Marker put in for Fire on the Mountain, Early September 2009- on the original ground at Fox's Gap.

Approach marches for both sides of about 1 mile, scripted fighting on the actual ground, then moving south on the Mountain for further " free form" action on and around Lamb's Knoll.

Looking for 700-1000 total participants, McDowell level regulations, of course 1862, with each unit assigned a guiding impression.

Friday night in a fixed setting near National Pike Gorge, Saturday night - wherever you drop on South Mountain.

All proceeds to the Friends of South Mountain State Battlefield, hosted by WMHF.

Once firmed up, more info will be out after AHT.

Pards,
        S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Lincoln's Hometown 1862

Old State Capital
          Date: May 15-17, 2009
          Impression: Illinois Troops( various impressions ) and Civlians
          Host: Cornfed Comrades POC - Rod Miller
          This Living History event to take place on the Old State Capital grounds in Springfield ,IL. We hope to be able to do a number of scenarios and impressions to show the role Springfield palyed during the War. Set in May of 1862
          Public displays
          A parade and a possible tour of sites in Springfield is in the works.
          This will be an ivitation only event
          Registration will be $20.00 This will cover rations and money left over will be donated to Battle flag restoration
          We will have a website
          Last edited by Rmhisteach; 02-15-2008, 12:15 PM. Reason: date change.
          Rod Miller
          [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
          [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
          [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
          A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
          1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
          1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
          1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
          1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
          Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
          1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
          Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Ought to get Into the Piney Woods: Taylor Retreats up the Red on the books for March 10-14, 2009
            Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Gents,

I know the 2008 season is still very much under way, but it is never to early to think of the future. After having a conversation with one of the guys in my unit about upcoming events, I started thinking about 2009, and what events are on the horizon.

My unit's focus is on eastern events, yes, I know, some of the best events occur west of the "big scary mountains", but for me the time and money needed to reach those events isn't a reality at this point. So to that end I took a look at the event forum to see what is on the list for 2009...and so far there isn't much:

April
              PL COI

May
              Spottsy LH

August
              Death March-not on the list hear, but I am pretty sure it will happen

September
              Fire on the Mountain-not sure if this is still going on since the vibe Chris gave out after AHT was that he was taking a time out from event sponsorship

My question is, does anyone know of any other events that are going on in the MD/PA/VA area next season?

Take care,
              Tom Craig
              Tom Craig

Comment

Tom,

There is a pretty good list on the OTB Forum, as usual. Why not ride down to Into the Piney Woods with us next March? I know the usual reasons not to leave the Nutmeg State during the winter, but you know how that goes. Some of the New England folks are starting to get their roadrunner jones again, now that fuel prices are dipping a little bitty bit.

The Death March XI event is likely to be back at the old location south of Elmira, NY, and may be moved to the first weekend in October 2009 for a variety of reasons. Bring a sharp ax and/or a functional shovel. This may be a great time for some of those #1 Ames repops coming out of Brazil to make a splash at an event.

I need to drop an invite or two on the New England Campaigners listserver to reinforce some invitations, especially one for mid-April.
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Some of the Cadets and alumni from VMI are going to try really hard to do a march from VMI to New Market and opening it up for anyone who wants to join us and make that a preservation march from Staunton to New Market, a distance of 50 miles. It would be in May of 2009. We would love to see a big turnout for this historic march. But more details will follow.
                  Respectfully,
                  Joel Barnes
                  VMI Class of 2009

"Why do men fight who were born to be brothers?" -James Longstreet

Comment

Date(s): 23-25 January 2009
                    Event Name: Winter Garrison 1862
                    Description: This will be a garrison Living History event portraying the 25th Indiana Infantry going into garrison near the Davis Mills railroad bridge. The unit will strengthen their position in preparation of a possible Confederate attack.
                    Host: Burton’s Sugar Farm
                    Capacity: 100 or less
                    Contact: Federal: Greg Richardson at yellowdawgtn@yahoo.com or Iron Dyed on this forum
                    Comments: Participants are encouraged to bring shovels, axes, wedges, hammers, rope, saws, and any other period tools for construction of earthworks.
                    Overall Event Point of Contact: John Spain at confederate314@yahoo.com or WestTN_reb on this forum.
                    Event Type: Semi-immersion garrison
                    Impression(s): Federal infantry
                    Website: http://www.geocities.com/newburnblue..._Garrison.html
                    Preservation Component: Proceeds go to Verandah/Curlee House in Corinth, MS

Final details for this event will be hammered out by the middle of October.
                    John Spain
                    4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
                    "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

John,

I wonder if I could get some boys from the Dippin' Gourds to head down that way. I'd enjoy another event with you and your pards at some point. A stint of Winter Garrison never hurt a soldier.. it only made him stronger. I'll bring it up to the guys to see what we have going on in November.
                      Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
                      Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
                      ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
                      ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
                      ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
                      ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
                      ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Joel,

Looks like quite a bit of activity is potentially bunchin up and crowding in on the weekend of 15-17 May 2009 in the Old Dominion, as ding the big event the first weekend of the month is a priority for some, while attending it is a priority for others, and the Mothers Day weekend (as previously listed) is typically one of those no-go, no-fly, do not disturb features. Having a primarily gray event and a primarily blue event the same weekend might not be a huge problem, save for those who enjoy attending events in a variety of shades, hues, etc.

I'll shoot der fugelman an email, although he already has a heads up from a while back.
                        [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

What is the CWPT opportunity at Champion Hill? I do not know anything about that one. Our mess might be very interested in it since the New Madrid Guards were part of the 1st MO.
                          Michael Comer
                          one of the moderator guys

Comment

Kennesaw

I thought the cancelled Kennesaw LH was going to be rescheduled for '09. Perhaps Holler can give some more info on that one.
                            Michael Comer
                            one of the moderator guys

Comment

Originally posted by huntdaw View Post
                              What is the CWPT opportunity at Champion Hill? I do not know anything about that one. Our mess might be very interested in it since the New Madrid Guards were part of the 1st MO.
                              From my understanding that opportunity evaporated a long time ago over the number "400." What a shame. Keep in mind this is an old thread, and evidently no one has been updating the events section since last December.
                              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Working...
                              X