2009 Events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009 Events

Fort Moultrie, SC 1859 LH will be held May 29-30th. We will conclude early Sunday in 2009 to offer the chance for visitors to see Charleston. The pre-war roles for U. S. Artillery & SC Militia will be revisited. Also civilians are encouraged to attend.

We still have the December event on for this year. Just send an email to Brian McGarrahan on which event you want to attend or send me a PM. At this writing I am asking for $10 insurance fee which will cover both events. Rations are provided.

http://www.trampbrigade.com/Events/Moutlrie1858.htm
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Kennesaw Mountain Living History June 19-21, 2009

The Lost Tribes: Chasing Price Through Missouri (at the Boonesfield site)
      October 2-4, 2009
      Nathan Hellwig
      AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
      "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Anything further about this one:

February

Woodlands II - William Gilmore Simms Plantation near Bamberg, South Carolina.
        Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
        [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett Silliman View Post

February

Garrett,

These were the last two updates:

4 April 07 Update

Possible second run of Woodlands. I'm talking with the land owners now, and trying to get an idea on the feasibility of another event. I'm thinking of proposing a February-March 2009 date for the possible event. But I wanted to run the date by everyone to make sure I hadn't overlooked any event around that time. If last time is any indication, it could likely be as late as November 2007 before we would have the word on whether the land could be used. I'll keep you all posted.

This is still in the "potential" category and is certainly not a sure thing. The window we would be operating in is the time after the end of deer season (January 1st) and before turkey season (mid march).

If the event comes off, what we are thinking tenatively is:

Fed Infantry
          Confederate cavalry.

Much of the same as last time regarding the scenario, only hopefully without the deluge. Campaign of the Carolinas, February 7th, 1865. All of this is in the early stages, so is subject to change.

Woodlands is near Bamberg, SC, on the grounds of the old William Gilmore Simms plantation, off of Highway 78. Its about an hour off of I-26 or I-20 for which every direction one is coming.

Chris
          28 August 07 Update

I figured while this thread has moved from the realm of inactivity, I'd brief you folks on what is going on with a possible Woodlands II. We are going to meet with the folks in late October at their corporate meeting to give them a sales pitch. There are some diverse interests with the family, and I haven't seen anyone stand out as a big champion of our cause yet. But we will give it the old college try, and hopefully will know a firm yay or nay by November.

That will give us plenty of time for an event in February 2009. If anyone has anything shaking around that time, let me know and I keep that date in mind to avoid a confliction. Nothing is even close to being etched in stone, but I figured I would keep everyone in the loop of what is going on. We will let you folks know what we hear there so that we can get the event out of consideration as soon as possible if there is a negative response from the landowners.

Cross the fingers and hope for the best.

Chris
          Both of those are over a year old, so you might want to send Chris a PM or see if his Secesh65@aol.com email still works.

Nice to see the AC Forum events area receive a nice sprucing up. The hard part is keeping the information updated on a regular basis.
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Chris has been extremely busy. I talk to him once every two or three weeks. He's been very busy with school, finding a pastor job, and getting ready to move with his wife back to SC, I wouldn't count on his putting on an event next year. I'll ask next time I talk to him, probably to talk to him about a 'ministry' at Westville. Not sure of his user account here, but his aol email is still used. Doesn't seem to check it often, though. I'll try to have him come back to the forum by and by. At least he's back in the field for one or two events this year though. He'll be at Westville.
            Now, if I could get Lee Walker back, I'd be good to go... But his bar in Columbia is too entertaining (I know, I've been there) for him to break away for a weekend. Oh, well...

Billy Birney
            William Birney
            Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
            Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

Billy,

Speaking of Lee Walker, I swear I saw John Beaver surface the other day. At any rate, it will be good to see the Ol' Sesher at Westville, and believe it or not he is online via handheld portable seedless blackberry this evening. Hard to believe.

See you in a few days in Kentucky enroute to Mizzoo.
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Charles,
                Do you really think you saw Beaver? I thought he was still on Paris Island... Oh, well... Time flies... And Misery... Looking forward to it. Don't know if the event or the ride will be more entertaining. Crossing the Susquehanna is usually a special occassion to me. I haven't crossed the Mississippi since I was eighteen...

And about that trip. I'm an ultra-conservative, and Johnny Lloyd looks to be pretty conservative. Charles, just so I don't have to say "Yup, yep, yer right..." all the way out there, can you at least act liberal or do I need to? Political arguments on a roadtrip are almost as fun as religious disputes... The last one I had, coming home from Kentucky, ended when a ringneck snake crawled out from under the seat of my adversary and crawled up his arm. And he was driving my car. I suppose I won that 'Catholic vs. Protestant' dispute by default?

Billy Birney
                William Birney
                Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."

Comment

Billy,

I'm somewhat to the right of Ron Paul, so I won't make a very good liberal.

To ease this back a notch while readily acknowledging snake handling as part of CW event road trips is not likely to surpass our native fondness for Cracker Barrel or Waffle House, our dear friends in the Garden State have confirmed the 12-14 June 2009 dates for a wonderful living history in a nice, moist, shady spot we all love so much. Matter of fact, Bob Dorr of "Bob's Door" fame just asked me the other day if I'd be willing to cook another pig at Spangler's Spring. Well, I suppose anything is possible.

Ya know, Bob's Door is becoming the proverbial garden gnome of CW reenacting.

I'm looking forward to season 2009. Look for an entertaining mid-month update.
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett Silliman View Post

February

Talked to Chris Crabb last night. He informed me that he never heard back from the people at Woodlands. Besides that, he didn't have time to pursue it anyway. So definately a 'no-go'...

Bill Birney
                    William Birney
                    Columbia Rifles

Comment

Charles,

I lost access to my account on the OTB...is there anyway you could post a summary list of the event dates/names for 2009?

Otherwise, from the lack of posting of other events, it doesn't seem like too much is shaking event wise for the Mid Atlantic in 2009?

Take care,
                      Tom Craig
                      Tom Craig

Comment

New Market March 2009

Originally posted by vmi2009 View Post
                        Some of the Cadets and alumni from VMI are going to try really hard to do a march from VMI to New Market and opening it up for anyone who wants to join us and make that a preservation march from Staunton to New Market, a distance of 50 miles. It would be in May of 2009. We would love to see a big turnout for this historic march. But more details will follow.
                        Not to steal Joel's thunder...but I figured it prudent to provide a little more information on the event mentioned.

New Market March 2009

Date: Early to Mid-May (specific date T.B.D.), working to have the date as close as possible to the date of the original march (10-15 May 1864).

Purpose: 3-parts

Part I: Preservation, our beloved Shenandoah Valley is under attack, some of the bloodiest ground in America is in danger of being lost forever due to Interstate expansion, mining, urban sprawl, developement...etc. The Valley NEEDS OUR HELP! It is the hope of the organizers to raise valuable Public Awareness, and $$$ for Preservation to preserve this historic green-space of our Nations History.

Part II: Campaign; To give the participants a taste of the TRUE campaign experience...total mileage covered by the cadets (starting from Lexington, VA) 86 miles, total mileage for additional participants (starting in Staunton, VA) 50+ miles. All food issued will be period, based on diary entries and QM receipts from the May 1864 Valley Campaign.

Part III: Education; As Living Historians, we have a unique oppurtunity to interact with the public through our actions, and oppurtunities...it turns out that about every 5-10 miles along the Virginia Valley cooridoor, there is a public school...this corresponds perfectly to a few of our hourly "rest-stops" in which we have the oppurtunity to give brief presentations about what we're doing and why.

Route: Marching up the Historic Valley Turnpike (Rt. 11). Camps will be in period settings in approximate locations of the original sites.

Costs: T.B.D. (as noted previously, this will have a preservation heavy component...in which $$$ will be raised...logistical costs are still in the works).

Volunteers: We ARE in need of volunteers, to include but not limited to the following; firewood, transpo, rations assist, publications, web design, donations (monetary, socks, shirts..etc.)...and of course marchers.

Impressions: The following is a baseline for the impressions we intend to have on the March...guidelines for each impression will have to follow in additional postings.

Primary Impression; VMI Cadet ca 1864
                        Secondary Impression: CS Infantry
                        Tertiary Impression: CS Cavalry (note; cav. will be responsible for coordinating details with event organizers)

Civilian Impression: Yes, we are looking for Men and Women willing to dress and participate along the march-route, heightening the experience of the participants. Note: We are still looking for a Teamster, Wagon and Mules/Horses which could participate during portions of the march.

Federal Impression: At this time, there are no plans to have Federal participation...the intent is to create a sureal setting appropriate to 1864 as much as possible...there were not Federal soldiers in the ranks ca. 1864, and as such at this time there are not plans to have Federal soldiers in the ranks of our 2009 march...It is NOT the intent to exclude anyone, questions or concerns may be directed to the event organizers.

More postings to follow, but this should serve as a baseline to what we're looking to acomplish in May of 2009.

Always remembering those who marched before us.

Paul B.
                        Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                        (Loblolly Mess)
                        [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Johnny B has made it into the Corps. An act of God I tell you. He is doing well and is up in the Carolinas for now running through the woods blowing stuff up. Beav gets time off now and then and makes it to events here and there.

BTW he dropped a LOT of weight and looks like a Death March survivor.

And to add to the event discussion: Next July the Armory Guards are planning to have a larger Living History at the East Atlanta site. When I say larger I mean larger by probably a max of 50 people. The head of the East Atlanta deal, Wayne, mentioned we might be able to stay out at the site. Needless to say I am trying to get more info out of the folks, but here it is

145th Anniversary of the Battle of Atlanta on the ground where Hardee’s Corps pushed Dodge's and Blair's boys back to I-85 and Moreland Ave... I mean Bald Hill. (or Leggett’s Hill for you Yankees) The date. Well I am still awaiting it, but it is at the end of July.

The site is surrounded by modern homes, etc but it is shaded and Wayne constructed field works based off of the Barnard photos. We were allowed to work on them and continue to improve them during the day. Good times for all in the Atlanta humidity and heat. I don't know if they'll want us back at the Generals Walker and McPherson monuments again, but it usually happens. That is an adventure unto itself.
                          Herb Coats
                          Armory Guards &
                          WIG

Comment

The Far West - Across the Really BIG Scarry Mountains

I know the far west doesn't get much attention and some folks forget that the California Gold Rush occurred in the decade before the Civil War. While it may seem we are a world away, there are some reenacting opportunities way far out here that probably should be mentioned, for those who find themselves way out West.

Date(s): 16-18 January 2009
                            Event Name: Camp Roberts Tactical
                            Description: Inter-unit US-CS tactical engagement in South-Central California
                            Host: Ist Texas Infantry Co. A

Date(s): 6-8 February 2009
                            Event Name: 2nd California Garrison
                            Description: Living history in original adobe Barracks depicting life of the 2nd California Infantry.
                            Host: Fort Tejon, California State Parks

Date(s): TBD April 2009
                            Event Name: Oakley Tactical
                            Description: Inter-unit US-CS tactical engagement in South-Central California
                            Host: Ist Texas Infantry Co. A

The 1st Califonria Infantry also sponsors a number of immersive patrols, and other events in Arizona and Southern California throughout the year, but 2009 schedule has not yet been finalized. Information can be found at http://www.manifest-history.org/1stC...ents/index.htm

I also know CA/AZ carpools are already being planned for trips eastward to attend ITPW and Bummers in 2009.
                            Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                            1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                            Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Craig View Post
                              I lost access to my account on the OTB...is there anyway you could post a summary list of the event dates/names for 2009?

Otherwise, from the lack of posting of other events, it doesn't seem like too much is shaking event wise for the Mid Atlantic in 2009?
                              Tom,

With the best organizer the hobby has ever had retiring in November 2008, yeah, I tend to agree with you about the big black hole in mid-year, but it appears something from 2007 has slowly emerged for summer 2009, so that will be on the list -- it may be stale at this point, though.

Your OTB credentials are in working order according to Yuku, although approximately 1,200 screen names were purged a couple months ago due to inactivity. Drop by, sign in, and post something nice about Okies in the appropriate location. You know the drill.

Oh, and the current forum title scheme is from the movie "Animal House," and is subject to change with the next cycle.

I do need to post a couple of odds and ends on the Newingland List fairly soon, as it would be fun to have some of the fellows who attended the Camp Curtin event to follow up with the fun in Carlisle in April.

(Kidnap Stiggs and bring him to Into The Piney Woods. J-Ho has a fo' do' .) :p
                              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by
                                [B
                                March[/B]

Ft. Granger in late March - Franklin, Tennessee.
                                There maybe a forum somewhere for this and I just can't find it, but is there more info. on this event somewhere?
                                Mike Hoover

1st Tennessee Infantry Co. D

Comment

Working...
                                X