Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wray Collection

Gents,
    For those who can make it into Atlanta on buisness or what ever .The history center is starting to put a few of the pieces of the collection out in the front lobby.I was able to view them the other day and all I can say is WOW!
    Kiev Thomason
    a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
    WIG
    Armory Guards
    Forest Park Lodge #399
    Forest Park GA.

Re: Wray collection.

Folks, the Wray Collection IS the preservtion effort for Bummers. Please keep this in mind when looking at events to attend for next year. The AHC is trying to raise money to purchase this AMAZING collection. Many of the items in the oh so handy "Echoes of Glory" are actually in this collection. Case in point the Schumpert frock coat. If the AHC is sucessful in the purchase of this large collection then it will be together in ONE place.

I cannot even begin to stress the importance of the fundraising effort for Bummers. Please look at the link and see why we feel it is important.

Thank you
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

Any idea what the asking price is? Looks like some pretty high end items.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I don't know the exact number, and I'd rather not speculate unless give an exact number. I'll try to get some numbers for everyone if the AHC consents.
        Herb Coats
        Armory Guards &
        WIG

Comment

Volunteering at the History Center and visiting portions of the Wray Collection on 2 occasions now, I can tell you it is very impressive.

Donations are greatly needed to keep this collection together and start getting it on permanent rotating display. I'll let Herb tell you the total cost, but please know that while it is far more than the AHC can spend out of pocket, it is an amazingly low price for what all is contained in this collection. Please don't allow it to be split up. If that happens, the closest we will get to many of these items for the next generation may be Echoes of Glory.

If you'd like more information on the collection, or more importantly how to make a donation, please feel free to contact me.
          Pat Brown

Comment

Lindsey, thanks for the post. It will be some major benjamins, but hopefully we can raise awareness for the Wray Collection!!!!
            Herb Coats
            Armory Guards &
            WIG

Comment

I can't wait to see it for myself. I've been looking forward to the wooden goods, in particular.:wink_smil
              Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
              WIG/GVB
              In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

All,

Some of the Bummers planning crew and others went to see some choice pieces of the Wray collection today. I know have some more information on the items that are in this collection. Besides the Schumpert frock that many of us are all familiar with and other clothing items there are an excellent collection of very rare firearms in the Wray collection.

Confederate made breech loading carbine prototype? Check

Whitworth artillery pieces? Check

Other rare import artillery pieces? Check (hopefully the folks taking notes at the visit today can chime in here)

"Franken-Rifle" attributed to the Trans Miss region? Check

Yeah, the items shown by Gordon Jones, the head curator, today were absolutely AMAZING! These items and others can be viewed if you give Mr. Jones advanced notice. He can't show you EVERYTHING, but if you have a specific interest such as kepis, coats, trousers, etc he can show you some great artifacts.

This collection is pretty much the "best of the best" according to Mr. Jones and it needs to be preserved! The exact number of what is owed was not specifically given, but as Gordon said no major corporation would probably be willing to donate money to the AHC because the items in the Wray collection are majority Confederate items. That is just the way things are right now around Atlanta. (I don’t want to turn this particular issue into a flame bait discussion) So the money to help preserve this collection will have to come from private individuals such as you and I and the best way to make it work is to spread the word to other Civil War buffs.

Even if you cannot attend the Bummers event please consider making a donation to the AHC for the Wray Collection. Every little bit does help.

If the AHC is able to financially secure the Wray Collection then it will be one of the best, if not the best museums for Civil War artifacts. Just think of it. The Dubose Collection PLUS the Wray collection. If this happens it will be akin to the Year of Civil War Buffs and Material Culture Junkies Jubilo! ;)

I think some pictures will be posted here soon. Keep looking!!!!!!
                Herb Coats
                Armory Guards &
                WIG

Comment

Herb,

I wish we could've seen the collection while we were down last weekend. And yes, Eric should be getting those photographs shortly.

I honestly can't wait to get moving on this event and this particular preservation movement. As Herb says, if you can't make our event, please consider a donation for the Wray collection. However, I don't think you will want to miss this event.

Watch for registration announcements sooner than later ;).
                  Ken Cornett
                  MESS NO.1
                  Founding Member
                  OHIO
                  Mason Lodge #678, PM
                  Need Rules?

Comment

Greetings Everyone!

This information was sent to us by Gordon Jones of the Atlanta History Center and all text and photos are posted here with their permission.We will be announcing specific fund-raising efforts very soon. We will also be adding a more extensive image gallery to the Preservation Page of the Bummers Web Site based on the photos collected by Herb, Kiev and the gang this weekend.

The George W. Wray Jr. Civil War Collection

Beginning in 1948, George W. Wray Jr. assembled this remarkable collection of rare Confederate enlisted men’s uniforms, previously unknown flags, and many of the few surviving examples of Southern-made firearms, bayonets, and artillery pieces. Along the way, he meticulously researched the original owners and makers of some one thousand individual artifacts. His was a lifelong passion for history and research, a passion that we at the Atlanta History Center seek to further through the purchase of his unique collection.

Uniting the Wray Collection with the DuBose and Dickey Collections would create the largest and most comprehensive Civil War type example collection in the world.

A World-Class Collection

· The finest Confederate type-example collection in existence
                    · About 1,000 objects, 500 of major significance
                    · 85% of objects have established provenance and/or personal attribution
                    · Incredible story-telling potential and research value
                    · Challenges assumptions about inadequacy of Confederate war effort

Firearms and Bayonets

· 25 long arms made in northern armories before the war
                    · 122 long arms made in southern armories before and during the war
                    · 37 long arms made in Britain and imported during the war, plus French, Belgian, and Spanish-made arms.
                    · 12 pistols or revolvers, including LeMat, Griswold, Spiller & Burr
                    · 200+ bayonets, including all known Confederate variations
                    · Confederate sniper rifles, including 14 Whitworths
                    · Unusual or one-of-a-kind Confederate experimental arms
                    · Most comprehensive collection of George Morse arms in existence

Textiles

· 8 flags, including 3 documented battle flags (1st GA, 4th SC, 33rd TX)
                    · Ensign captured from the blockade-runner Pocahontas
                    · 15 complete and personally attributed uniforms, including 5 enlisted
                    · Naval uniform attributed to John McIntosh Kell, CSS Alabama
                    · Blood-soaked uniform of Confederate private killed at Chickamauga
                    · Fatigue uniform of Georgia Military Institute cadet, fought at Savannah
                    · 9 caps or hats, including 6 enlisted forage caps
                    · Haversacks, blankets, enlisted overcoat

Swords, Artillery, and Accoutrements

· 21 Confederate swords or sabers, including two imported British swords
                    · 7 artillery pieces, including British Armstrong and Blakely guns
                    · One-of-a-kind 1.75-inch infantry gun cast at the Tredegar foundry
                    · Rare Whitworth 1.92-inch naval gun and 2.15-inch field piece
                    · Canteens, leather accoutrements, shoes, saddle and horse equipage
                    · Ammunition, ammunition crates, gun tools, bullet molds
                    · 14 file boxes of George Wray’s personal research notes, plus reference library

An Opportunity for Atlanta

The Wray Collection is a treasure-trove of stories about Americans living, fighting, and dying during the Civil War. Behind each and every object in this collection is an incredible story of personal tragedy and triumph in the chaos of war. The acquisition of the Wray Collection would enable the Atlanta History Center to tell these stories in Turning Point: The American Civil War, its award-winning permanent exhibition.

The many scarce or one-of-a-kind artifacts in the Wray Collection have never before been available for public viewing or research. Objects of this importance are simply no longer available on the collectors’ market and have long since disappeared from family attics. If the Wray collection were to be dispersed, most of it would disappear into private vaults so that the public would never see these priceless artifacts again. The collection would be impossible to replicate regardless of financial resources available. As stewards of history, the Atlanta History Center cannot allow the Wray Collection to be lost to the winds of time.

We are committed to building the nation’s finest Civil War collection, to developing a national center for Civil War research, and to becoming the premier Civil War tourism destination in the southeast. We need your help.

Your gift in support of the Wray Collection is not only an investment in the educational mission of the Atlanta History Center, but also an investment in the future of a nation that can honor the past without repeating its mistakes.

Below Are Some Sample Photos of the Wray Collection:

[Morse M1841 Conversion] The Wray Collection includes one of the two surviving examples of a Model 1841 rifle converted to George Morse’s breechloading system. These were the first breechloading cartridge arms ever produced for the U.S. Army. Morse made carbines for the Confederacy based on the same design.

[JS Anchor Stamp] Most of the foreign-made arms in the Wray collection bear distinctive import or inspection markings such as the famous JS-anchor stamp on this British cavalry carbine.

[Schumpert Uniform] Private Benjamin Schumpert was killed at the Battle of Chickamauga while wearing this unusual homemade frock coat. The blood stains from Schumpert’s fatal head wound are still visible on the back, collar, and sleeves of the coat.

[Battery Gregg Flag] This shrapnel-torn Confederate garrison flag flew over the ramparts of Battery Gregg during the siege of Charleston, South Carolina, in 1863.
                    [Whitworth Muzzle] The muzzle of this British-made Whitworth reveals the distinctive hexagonal-shaped rifling that made it the most deadly sniper rifle of the war.

[Columbus Box] This rare 1862-dated ammunition box for buckshot cartridges is one of many artifacts in the Wray collection that tell the story of Georgia’s pivotal role in Confederate war production.

[Fayetteville Rifle] This 1862-dated Fayetteville rifle is one of 25 in the Wray collection representing the full range of production from the Fayetteville and arsenals between 1861 and 1864.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 08-17-2008, 10:14 PM.
                    ERIC TIPTON
                    Former AC Owner

Comment

Re: Wray Collection

Gents,
                      If you know a month out that you are coming to Atlanta call or e mail Gordan Jones and set up a time to view some of these items.All you have to do is ask.There is NO FEE....however please donate because as we all know this stuff takes money to stay put.
                      When you talk to him let him know what you want to see...weapons ,shoes ,cap pouches whatever.He can not pull the whole collection for you but he will gather up what you want to see the most and a few other items I am sure.
                      The pictures cannot even touch what we were able to view this past weekend....all I can say is WOW!!!!!The fire arms are great.There is many one of one and proto types.The clothes for the most part all have a story with them too.It's not just some items that were found and no one knows where they came from.
                      Do your self a favor and make time.If you need to call or PM me and I may be able to hook up with you and show you some other ATL battlefield spots too.I can always use a break from work!!!!!!!:wink_smil
                      Kiev Thomason
                      a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
                      WIG
                      Armory Guards
                      Forest Park Lodge #399
                      Forest Park GA.

Comment

Kiev ain't lying! I can say first hand that this is one AWESOME collection. I'm going to make an appointment with Gordon soon cause I'm sure there's a few things I'm going to want to study further. I just hope I can check out one of the things that is on display right now :wink_smil (some know what I'm talking about).
                        Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                        WIG/GVB
                        In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

That's a terrific shot of the whitworth's muzzle. The photographer must have placed a small flashlight down the bore. I've never noticed engraving around the nose cap before. While that Whitworth is a snub nose, like many of those that were sold to the Confederacy, I wonder if this was a "second quality" or a first quality gun?
                          GaryYee o' the Land o' Rice a Roni & Cable Cars
                          High Private in The Company of Military Historians

Comment

Gary,

For more information, I'd give the AHC a call and ask for Gordon Jones. He should be able to answer your questions in more detail.

The Whitworth cannons were very, vey interesting.

I also spotted a Cohoern morter lying on a shelf as well during our visit. :D
                            Herb Coats
                            Armory Guards &
                            WIG

Comment

I really wish large significant collections like this would get the same fund raising considerations as battlefield preservation, I would love to see the CWPT or a similar organization do a fund raising campaign, with matching government funds to preserve it, It was a crime to see the John Henry Kurtz collection get scattered to the wind like it did. These types of collections are national treasures, these significant private collections should be identified and the wheels get turning on preserving them, just like someone would research a plot of land and figure out who the owner is an then find out their intent. Waiting till the collector dies, and the non-caring family gets their hands on it, does not afford enough time for a not for profit organization to get the wheels moving to raise the hundreds of thousands or millions required for outright purchase.

Ok my rant is done, Great collection, I will be buying some more torches.

Thanks for the post,

Ryan
                              Ryan Meyer
                              Skulker's Mess (Germany)
                              Keeper of that BOX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X