Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting period source about the march

Saw this today while browsing google books and thought I'd pass it on :

The Story of the Great March: From the Diary of a Staff Officer by Bvt. Maj. George Ward Nichols, aid-de-camp to General Sherman (1865).

Two chapters which caught my attention are :

Chapter 5, Breaking Camp - A Day's March - The Bivouac ; and
    Chapter 7, Wayside Incidents in Georgia - An Original Character - Cock fighting.

It's a little flowery and romantic like many books of the time, but it sheds some light on common things not found in the big books about the march.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Re: Interesting period source about the march

Silas:

Thanks so much for tracking that down. We will certainly take a look. We encourage everyone to read first-hand accounts of the march. Like Silas says here, there are many vignettes that occurred on a day-to-day basis that are much more valuable than the general accounts.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Comment

Thanks for reminding me to read this book, I bought it awhile ago and put it aside,I found it again after reading your post and started reading it last night. From the copyright it looks to have been written in 1865, so I assume his recollections were fairly fresh in his mind.
      Bob Hutton:)

14th NC "Wild Cats"

Comment

Got the book thorugh the library and read the two chapters 5 & & first and now reading the rest. Sounds like the cock fight was short lived until they got hungry and ate the loser.
        Alpheus W. Lewis
        Old Salt
        6th OVI, Mess1

Comment

The henry Hitchcock's book is another good one (letters and Diarys) Henry was on Sherman's staff aswell.

Marching With Sherman

Brett "Homer" Keen
          Chicago
          [I]"Excessively spirited in the pranks and mischief of the soldier"[/I]

OEF 03-04 [I]Truth Through Exploitation[/I]

Comment

Working...
          X