Bummers Federal Structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bummers Federal Structure

But more seriously; I did some quick research on the aformentioned 76th Ohio Volunteers. I found that the veteran regiment was issued fresh zouave styled jackets and chose to dress up their impression by wearing the kepi mainly. Whole companies would not have worn sack or fatigue jackets instead, would they? Also, Were there many US veteran regiments who did this late in the war? If so.. for authenticity's sake, what do this event's coordinators expect of these regimental companies? Is there a group of folks out there that are able to authentically portray a company with such a distinct uniform? It would be neat if they could.. we do have a years time. And of course I understand that we will be portraying company-sized units of these whole regiments and that since the 'focus' won't be wholly upon them per se. Just wonderin' fellas..
    Jon:

Our research shows that in general, the men who stepped off on the march were re-supplied with new uniforms while they were in Atlanta. In general, they looked very much like the men shown on our guidelines page (and throughout our web site):

http://www.bummers09.com/Guidelines.html

There is a lot written about the haphhazard appearance of the men on the March to the Sea, but that generally occurred as they went through South Carolina, after they had already spent two months of hard campaigning and had occupied Savannah.

However, when you are studying the regiment from which you will gather a foraging party, you discover that the men from your regiment had some particular aspect of their equippage and you are able to document this and realistically portray it in the field, it will be acceptable. To do this, you must send documentation to us ahead of time.

We encourage everyone who plans to raise a foraging party (not a company ;)) to study the regiment that you want to portray. As we mentioned, one of the appeals of this scenario is that is was focused strongly on the activities of individual groups. Any research that you can do on your own regarding those groups can only enhance the authenticity of the overall event.
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 09-05-2008, 08:22 AM.
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Comment

SCAR is planning to attend to fill out a foraging party. Filthy Yankees is kinda our thing. Looks like a top shelf event!

Jim Butler

Jim Butler

Comment

OH man, I love that 76th Ohio Vet. Volunteer Infantry coat. Now if there were only an original to take a look at....
        Brian White
        [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
        [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
        [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

I am wondering why the XX corp is not represented? There are alot of guys up north from that corp.
          Karl H. Pasch

Ol' Sipley Mess
          Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

I am wondering why the XX corp is not represented? There are alot of guys up north from that corp.
            The XV Corps was closest to the area where the event will occur - on the right flank. The XX Corps was all the way on the other side - the left flank.
            ERIC TIPTON
            Former AC Owner

Comment

I will be raising a foraging party for this event. Not sure yet which regiment but we will be representing the sucker state proudly. Any suckers, former suckers or sucker wannabees shoot me a note.

Rod Miller
              Last edited by Rmhisteach; 09-06-2008, 07:45 PM.
              Rod Miller
              [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
              [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
              [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
              A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
              1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
              1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
              1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
              1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
              Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
              1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
              Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

I found this site I thought it might be a good account of the actions in jawgee.

RM

This site contains the diary, memoirs,photographs,and other memorabilia of an Illinois soldier in the Civil War.
                Rod Miller
                [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Brian,

Here is one company's attempt at recreating the 76th Ohio Veteran Uniforms and a researcher/doll maker's attempt at them as well. I'd like to know who did the research and who made the uniforms. I hope I didn't just offend anyone by using the word "dollmaker".. uh.. 'figurine'?
                  Attached Files
                  Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
                  Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
                  ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
                  ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
                  ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
                  ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
                  ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Action figure.
                    Mark Krausz
                    William L. Campbell
                    Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
                    Old Northwest Volunteers
                    Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Less than a month till I open registration!
                      Ken Cornett
                      MESS NO.1
                      Founding Member
                      OHIO
                      Mason Lodge #678, PM
                      Need Rules?

Comment

Just a note. Now that Tripp Corbin has been officially elected as the new leader of the WIG, he will be the "Ranking Officer" for the event and for the 1st Division, 15th Corps.
                        ERIC TIPTON
                        Former AC Owner

Comment

Greetings Gentlemen,
                          Bummers in 2009 sounds like a great project.
                          My Great Grandfather was in the 15th Corp. , 2nd Division , 2nd Brigade , 47th Ohio Volunteer Infantry , Company E.
                          He wrote a diary of his service in the war and it is quoted numerous time in the regimental history.
                          In the regimental history there is a great story of the suprise attack on the foraging party he was on durring "The march to the sea". Most of the party was killed or captured by the gallant Georgia boys.

Oh , how I wish I was not almost 59 years old and with bad legs.:cry_smile
                          I will be with you in spirit.

Your Obedient Servant, Sgt. Dan Girton, Company A, 6th Ohio

Comment

Working...
                          X