Pets and Mascots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pets and Mascots

In Battles and Leaders of the Civil War Volume 4, Captain Dan Oakey of the 2nd Mass. reports that even as well into the march as North Carolina such "critters" were not uncommon.

"It was not uncommon to hear shots at the head of the column.....Sabres flashed from their scabbards, the men brought their guns to the "carry", and the battalion swung into line at the roadside; Cats,,fighting cocks, and frying pans passed to the rear..."

Earlier in his missive he described how local roosters "who showed no propensity for fighting soon made their way into frying pan and stew". Those who did fight well however "rode along under the gentle arm of an infantryman."

Not sure how well animal fighting may be received so close to Atlanta and Mr Vick however...:D

Regards,
    Mike Davis
    [IMG]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/images/MikeSig.gif[/IMG]
    Sixth Ohio/Mess No. 1
    Columbus, Ohio

Comment

The Mississippi Marine Brigade had a black bear that traveled the Mississippi River with them, the 43rd Mississippi had a camel "Old Douglas" who died at the hands of a Union rifleman at Vicksburg, and a dog's skeleton was found aboard the Cairo gunboat. Abe the eagle of the 8th Wisconsin, in addition to inspiring men from other regiments, was very proficient at stealing live chickens from sutlers. I just want to know how many Michiganders and Wisconsinites tried wolverines and badgers before finding something a bit less grouchy. ;)
      [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
      [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

The 36th IL had a mix between a "mastiff and bulldog," which might be safe to assume it was a Bullmastiff. They picked up Jack at Pea Ridge but he drowned in an accident on board a transport going to Kentucky for Perryville.

Interesting thing to note about the BM is that they weren't formally recognized as a purebred until 1924, some 80 years after he was found. The BM has been documented in England as early as 1860, so I wonder whose Jack's owner was? I would love to see more documentation on this breed and its existance in the US if anyone has any.
        Mark Krausz
        William L. Campbell
        Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
        Old Northwest Volunteers
        Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

In a book about Sherman's March by Burke Davis there is a report of a soldier taking some lady's poodle to shoot. She cries "She's just a poodle, she's my baby!" and the soldier replies: "Yes madame, but there's no telling what it may grow into!"
          Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
          Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
          Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
          Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
          Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

For the Confederate Mascots, The First Maryland Bttn. had a mascot of its own named Jack that fell victim to yankee gunfire at Culp's Hill July 2
            Last edited by Chad Wrinn; 04-13-2009, 06:13 PM.
            Chad Wrinn

Comment

Hey, didn't they just locate "Jack's" bones and silver collar in an old box in a PA attic about 12 days ago? (Sorry.... couldn't resist.)

Rich Croxton
              Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

More Confederate dogs:
                Candy Co. B, 4th Texas Infantry- Separated from the regiment at Gaines Mill, June 27-28, 1862. Lost in the cornfield at Sharpsburg, September 17, 1862 (reported captured).
                Charlie The Troup Artillery- Participated in 15 major engagements. Killed in action at Cumberland Church, near Farmville, Virginia, on April 7, 1865–two days before Lee’s surrender.
                Frank Co. B, 2nd Kentucky Infantry (CS) - Captured at Fort Donelson, Feb. 15, 1862, and paroled on August 26, 1862. Wounded numerous times during service. Disappeared in the summer of 1864.
                Pet dog (name unknown) of Company A, 5th Alabama- Killed in action at Gettysburg, July 1, 1863. Believed to be the first Confederate causality at Gettysburg.
                Sawbuck- 4th Louisiana Brigade- Special pet and mascot of the 4th Louisiana Brigade. Wounded in the foreleg–location and date unknown.
                Sergeant 3rd Louisiana Infantry- Killed in action at Oak Hills on August 10, 1861.
                Stonewall Jackson Richmond Howitzers- Believed stolen by Louisiana Creole troops late in the war.
                Tinker Confederate Navy- Served with Capt. M. P. Usina while blockade running. Buried at sea (North Atlantic) in 1865, shortly after war’s end.

Mike

Comment

My dog out in the back yard is named Jack.
                  Joe Smotherman

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTK36thIL View Post
                    The 36th IL had a mix between a "mastiff and bulldog," which might be safe to assume it was a Bullmastiff. They picked up Jack at Pea Ridge but he drowned in an accident on board a transport going to Kentucky for Perryville.

Interesting thing to note about the BM is that they weren't formally recognized as a purebred until 1924, some 80 years after he was found. The BM has been documented in England as early as 1860, so I wonder whose Jack's owner was? I would love to see more documentation on this breed and its existance in the US if anyone has any.
                    The bull mastiff and the boxer go back to the Romans .I have a book at home about them and it says that they were named BullBanters .They were used to attack and bleed cows . They thought that that made the meat better if they were killed that way rather than by sword or spear. There is also a few pics that I have seen over the years of yanks with boxers and Mastiffs in group photos.
                    Kiev Thomason
                    a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
                    WIG
                    Armory Guards
                    Forest Park Lodge #399
                    Forest Park GA.

Comment

IMHO, I don't think the true form of a Bullmastiff can trace it's lineage previous to the mid-1800s. The Old English Bulldog, now extinct, was used to mix the mastiff stock at something like a 60%(M)/40%(OEB) to produce the BM in the mid-1800s in England. This leads to the present day Bull Mastiff we all know.

I've seen references that the Boxer was a mix of Brabanter Bullenbeisser-(now extinct-and decendent of another ancient breed, the Alaunt) and an influx of English Bulldog in the mid-19th century. But the Boxer is not an ancient breed.

I think the Brabanter Bullenbeissers were probably a decendent of some of the other Mastiff/Molosser breeds and looked like a bulldog/mastiff cross, but just wasn't; and this transitioned into the Boxer breed. Now modern attempts have been made to recreate the Brabanter Bullenbeisser, with the Bantar Bulldogge.

What's the name of the book tho, I'm curious to see more about this. Thanks,

Mark
                      Dog Person
                      Mark Krausz
                      William L. Campbell
                      Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
                      Old Northwest Volunteers
                      Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Just to give equal time to our feline friends, the garrison mascot, one Tom Cat, was the sole casualty in one of the ironclad attacks on Fort McAllister, Georgia. His demise was mentioned in the official battle report.
                        Tom Dodson
                        Tom Dodson

Comment

Shocking as it may seem, an advertisement in the civilian section would get you the loan of "GA Farm Urchins" for an event, even correctly dressed ones. ...and since you've mentioned them here, perhaps it would be wise to treat them as a specialty impression for that event....so you don't have some with every unit.
                          -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

I originally posted this under "Camp Furniture" but it really belongs here:

From Life With the Thirty-Fourth Massachusetts Infantry In the War of the Rebellion, W. S. Lincoln, Noyes, Snow & Company, Worcester, 1879, p. 262, describing the regiment as they marched up the Valley in 1864 under Sigel:

"Look at us now! All chairs and stools having been sent back, and tables, and other conveniences of camp life having vanished, we are seated upon the ground, and eating our dinners from dishes balanced on our knees. The Adjutant writes his orders upon a drum-head, on paper which his clerk carries in his coat pocket, and with pen and ink which he carries on his own person."

I've given a lot of consideration to using a drum-head as a desk, but I need to find someone to carry it for me...

Besides a lot of camp furniture, which stayed in Harper's Ferry, the 34th had an auxilary force, which is woefully under-represented in re-enacting:

"Among these dogs are a few brought from home when we came out; more which have been confiscated by the boys, at the different stations we have occupied; and not a few coaxed into following us on our different marches. Some howl at every bugle call; all bark in chorus when the drum corps makes its presence known by its unique performances. Many are regular in their attendance at all drills, and one of these sings second, whenever our Colonel’s voice is heard delivering his words of command. Some fall in regularly, and march in line for their rations; others, guerilla like, hang on the flanks, making stealthy approach to the cook-houses, and steal, and are off. Noble New-Foundlands, wiry terriers, mastiffs, hounds, pointers, bull dogs, poodles, and mongrels of all kinds and degrees. Our stock has increased miraculously of late, and what with the regular howlings and irregular fights, over which it seems as if the boys luxuriate, as over nothing else, interference came from Headquarters, at last, in the shape of an order. The fightings were made to cease, but the dogs remained – until to-day, when the boys have corralled all they could coax, and have turned them loose again, with tin decorations to their tails."

Unfortunately, while the furniture stayed in camp, the dogs accompanied the regiment on campaign, and were with them in the battle of New Market:

"A charge of the whole line was ordered. Our men sprang forward with a cheer. Our dogs, of whom we had a small army, ran frolicking and barking before us, as they had so often done, on drill. Receiving the fire of both lines, they were nearly all killed."

I know I've wandered off topic, but someday I'd like to see a monument raised to the dogs of the 34th Massachusetts.
                            Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Working...
                            X