Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Something to think on!

Originally posted by Coatsy View Post
    Federal participants.. Look at the Cartidge Box of the XV Corps badge to see how many rounds Uncle Billy will let you carry.
    Whew... thats good to know. I hate arsenal packs.

I seem to remember something about being charged legally and financially about unauthorized expenditure of ammunition.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Georgia Militia Account

Many thanks goes to Robby Mitchell for sending this historical tid bit my way:

“The following was written post-war by D. J. Miller, who served in Captain Randal Bennett's company, 29th Ga. Militia. (I suspect this is actually Capt. A.T. Bennett's co. from Clarke County, 11th Regt. Ga. Militia, or it could be Capt. James L. Wilson's Co., 11th Regt. Ga. Militia from Lowndes & Ware Counties as there is a "Pvt. R. McD. Bennett" on the roster as well as another "Pvt. David M. Bennett". This company's captain was KIA at Griswoldville and possibly "R. McD. Bennett" was elected captain.

"I left Waycross, Ga. on March 15th, 1864 at the age of sixteen and went to Macon, Ga. We were there two months on picket duty, guarding the city, and looking after the cemetery to see that no one disturbed the graves.

We did not have any tents, and our quarters consisted of tents made from young pine trees, beds made from straw which we raked up, and such other comforts as nature could furnish us. When it rained we had to endure it. We had to furnish our own clothing and blankets, the clothing being homespun woven at home by our wives and sisters. Hats we made from wiregrass. The Government did not furnish us anything but a little hardtack, and some meat - one pound of bacon to a man, per day. We were never furnished a uniform. . . While in Atlanta we were only furnished two meals a day, one at nine o'clock and the other at three or four in the afternoon. These meals consisted of stewed beef and rice. Later on, in August, we had only meal a day. We were ordered from Atlanta to Savannah, Ga., and while en route suffered the misfortune of being cut off from our commissary wagon by Sherman's army. We had to run and travel as fast as possible to save ourselves from capture by his army, which was then burning and devastating the country in its route to the sea."

This comes from the UDC letters collection, Vol. XX which is on file at the Ga. Archives."

So this letter is a good examole of the lack of government issued items to the Georgia Militia.

Now for those attending the event as Militia please read over this letter, digest the information, and perhaps read it again. What I am getting at is that Confederate issuedclothing should be almost non existant. Civilian clothing and home spun cloths that were made to look military should be seen in the ranks. I'm not saying that Columbus Depot or Atlanta Depot gear did not somehow get into the Militia Men's hands, but an entire company of men in Columbus or Atlanta Depot jacket is pretty much unacceptable at the event.

Event Guidelines: http://www.bummers09.com/Guidelines.html

There is plenty of time to get the needed items for the event. Make sure you are a responsible living historian and do so.
      Herb Coats
      Armory Guards &
      WIG

Comment

Working...
      X