Gett'n to the event site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gett'n to the event site

Howdy everyone. I want to talk about getting to the Bummers event site. As we all know the address that we are using to put into GPS units, Google Earth, Map-Quest, etc is 1166 Dripping Rock Rd Molena, Georgia 30258.

The parking area is located right across from the main office at the intersection of Flint Rock Road and Dripping Rock Rd. Yes there will be ample signs put up for everyone to find the event.

The great news is that the roads are paved and very very good getting in and out of the parking area. There are two main roads that will lead you to the parking area for the event. One is Dripping Rocks Rd and the other is Thundering Springs Rd. Both roads intersect.

One note is that if you take Dripping Rocks Rd south from Ga. Hwy 18 there is a small bridge that crosses a creek before Dripping Rocks Rd forks left and right. This bridge is one way so please please please be careful near the spot. AKA don’t speed Dukes of Hazard style across it.

Thundering Springs Rd heads south from Ga Hwy 74. When getting off of Hwy 74 be prepared to make a quick turn again onto Thundering Springs. There will be signs posted, but you can miss that quick second turn.

When the event date draws nearer there will definitely be more infromation regarding parking, check in, etc. Basically check in is down fom the parking area. You can't miss it. Yes there will be signs.

Some other news of note is that even though the event site is remote you are not too far from civilization for a “last meal” before the event ends, or getting some grub on the way out Sunday. About 5 miles to the west of the event site in Woodbury, Ga is a large super market. It is at the intersection of Ga Hwy 18 and Ga Hwy 85. Also to the east down Ga Hwy 74 is Thomaston, Ga the county seat of Upson County. This is about 16 miles away. In town there are fast food places, small BBQ shacks, a Chili’s, and even a Chinese Buffet.

Thanks all
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Re: Gett'n to the event site

Thanks Herb...

Pre-event information and directions. It looks like Bummers has all of the bases covered.

Now for the serious question... are those BBQ Joints Jawja BBQ or South Carolina BBQ or the pinnicle of pig production, North Carolina BBQ?
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Say, Pete, why don't you wander into one and ask them for some BBQ NC style and see what they give you?
      Joe Smotherman

Comment

What, no Indian food?
        Brian White
        [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
        [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
        [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Herb,

Isn't it supposed to be spelled "Getten"?

keep it goen,
          Joe Smotherman

Comment

Joe,

I guess I forgot to but an extra vowel with my hip and edgy spelling of "getting."

As for Indian food in Thomaston I'd use the vaunted Google Earth program, turn on the places of interest function and check it out.

As for the BBQ it will probably be Georgia style, but the owner may be from the Carolinas so that curve ball might get thrown your way.

As for the directions I really wanted to shed light on the one way bridge off of Dripping Rocks Rd heading south. It isn't a rickety death trap, but it is down a hill so tapping the brakes heading down is a good idea. On the other Hand if you come in via Thundering Springs Rd there is no small bridge so that, while less adventuresome, does have the full two lane advantage. :D
            Herb Coats
            Armory Guards &
            WIG

Comment

Never been to a China Buffet in a Confederate uniform! Should be interesting.
              Frank Perkin

Comment

Herb, in your line of work, I expect the longitude and lattitude of the registration tent. Hell, if Resaca could do it, you can too.
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

I'm not spoon feeding ALL the info to the masses.
                  Herb Coats
                  Armory Guards &
                  WIG

Comment

Mr.Perkin,

Your post reminded me of the time I stopped to get gas on the way to a living history. As I stood beside the car in my workdress I heard whispers of , " she must be Mennonite" and "Amish."

Cheers,
                    Carrie Craddock
                    Carrie Craddock

Comment

Miss Carrie,

Try getting on an airplane. Then rent a little red sports car.

The desk agent never broke until I asked if she had a something in a green John Deere..:D
                      Terre Hood Biederman
                      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Honestly I have never tried flying in uniform,, At least Men have the ability to slip into the appropriate attire onsite or nearby .I am sure Ladyfolk need a bit more prep space and time to accomadate.
                        Its on the way back ,looking and smelling like a Hobo or a Las Vegas refugee, that seems to draw the most spectacle. Couple days facial growth and afunk that is unexplainable or descenting of anykind, that will suffice. You'll hear "whats wrong with Him" or " whats that smell", A quick flip of the Finger and a couple of drinks later and all is good in your world, to the Devil with the rest of'em
                        Last edited by Shotgun Messiah; 08-04-2009, 06:26 PM. Reason: durned Missouri grammer
                        Warren Hook
                        First Sibley Mess
                        New Madrid Guards
                        WIG

"...And to Missouri we
                        Extend both heart and hand
                        And welcome her a sister
                        Of our Confederate band
                        Tho surrounded by oppression
                        No one dare deter
                        Her adding to our Bonnie Blue Flag
                        Her bright and twelfth star! "

Lyrics, Bonnie Blue Flag, by Harry McCarthy, 1861.

Comment

If you are planning on coming in via the Atlanta Aerodrome in "kit" then lisen up. I've seen wackier outfits being worn in Hartsfield so don't worry. You'll be fine. Before and After Winter of '64 a goup of us went through 3 different airports with Federal overcoats and period shirts. Folks thought we were in a band.
                          Herb Coats
                          Armory Guards &
                          WIG

Comment

Folks thought we were in a band.
                            And we gave them a show to boot. I wonder if the gal at the Buffalo Duty Free has given up finding us on I-tunes.
                            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
                            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
                            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
                            [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
                            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Herb, will you sign my canteen?
                              Ken Cornett
                              MESS NO.1
                              Founding Member
                              OHIO
                              Mason Lodge #678, PM
                              Need Rules?

Comment

Working...
                              X