This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: AAR Bummers

I've been quiet on here pretty much all week except some thank to the civilians which was my primary concern at the event.

Everyone DOES have a right to their opinion and believe me I've been reading it all. ET is correct in stating that we are working on a joint report for all of our comrades.

Just a reminder: We were not portraying a specific day at Bummers, but looking to recreate a "day on the march" in between Atlanta and Milledgeville. If this does not sit well with you then I am sorry. I did howerver make many posts stating it was not a specific day. Please review the other threads. We took our ideas for the event from what actually happened during the Savannah Campagin. If you think that we were just "making s#$t up" then you are grossly mistaken. Time tables got fubar'd and we adjusted to meet the issues. If you feel like I am bull shitting you then so be it. But I am not. Neither are my fellow event staffers.

In reality the terrain in between the Atlanta and Milledgeville where Sherman' men marched is hilly and difficult in some spots. I know because I live in Georiga and I have walked some of these routes. The Camp Thunder/Lawhorn scouting land is more pronounced (aka difficult), but still in Middle Georiga albeit to the west about 50 miles. The Flint River in the scout area does resemble the South River from Key's Ferry down to Planters factory. The hills on the Flint are steeper, (as we all know) but it is pretty close.

All I will say is this. There are not too many large areas in Middle Georgia that we as reenators can put on events for our fellow reenactors that resemble the land that the original men marched over. There are even fewer places that will let organizers do what we attempted/succeded in doing. We were using a little under 1800 acres out of 2200. It is a mammoth site folks.

I challenge anyone who feels that the event did not live up to their expectations to put ON an event of this magnitude, and MAKE IT HAPPEN, and bust past what happened at Bummers. This is not me being an asshole or cranky, but a genuine call for my fellow 'enactors to be pro active and roll the dice. I know that there is an ambitious event in Tennessee with wagons next year. I know that there is an ambitious event in south west Georgia in a refurbished town next year as well. This is our hobby. Make it happen!

I am not new to event hosting by far, but I take will take constructive critisism and the lessons learned and apply them to next "thing" I am involved with. My thanks to all of you who attended. We'll be doing our accounting fun to post the expenses and the final tally of money raised for the Wray Collection. Which, in my opinion, is a fine and worthy goal.

BTW It is nice in Rio right now. The war criminals have escaped!
    Last edited by Coatsy; 11-21-2009, 04:04 PM.
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

As a private in the ranks of Company B, 11th Georgia Militia Regiment, my perspective at Bummers ’09 was limited to what my pards and I could see or what rumors we heard. Our appointed leaders and other have already offered After Action Reports so I will toss out a few review points.
      The event organizers didn’t promise us anything. They merely planned and provided everything we needed to make an excellent event ourselves. For some reason, we decided that we were entitled to experience every possible encounter early and often. Come prepared to climb and march, they constantly advised. We ignored them. Rations were not issued, they were provided at proper period times and means to match the original scenario. We were told not to bother bringing large amounts of ammunition because this was not a mainstream battle event. Our company was told to bring from eighty to 100 blanks. I fired seven. I enjoyed the “late” green corn, and am amused by the comments by some, but wondered why such an unusually high percentage of participants were carrying repeating arms? The militia had the same anachronisms- while G. W. Smith himself stated that his men carried flintlocks, we were not allowed to have any in our ranks. The result- a large percentage of us farmers were forced instead to bring state-of-the-art Enfields and Springfields that the militia certainly didn’t have during the first few days of the March. That’s OK, we looked too much like a couple of companies of young Confederate volunteers with over three years of service and government issue rather than recently returned “agriculturalists”. The exciting realization is that more of us are now better prepared for portraying early war events.
      With a few exceptions, the planners and organizers took themselves out of the prestigious leadership roles usually reserved for those sponsoring events and let others drag the sword while they busted their buns setting up scenarios, sites, and “Easter Egg Hunts” for the participants. Was it their fault that Ida visited? Their frenzied response to the needs of late Federal marchers and to find “lost” participants (especially those who had quit and not told their chain of command) is laudable. My company commander was Herb Coats. The only time I saw him after the event began was when he sought us out on Saturday to apologize that the event was consuming his attention and to formally resign as our commander. What a class act. He and some other sponsors were not the fathers of all the problems caused by weather or human error, but they still stepped up to be the daddy of all challenges.
      I noticed during the event and from AARs that a large number of folks decided that being one of Uncle Billy’s Boys for the weekend was “were it was at”. Many put away their usual jean for indigo blue duds. Many who were the age of the Reserve Militia ended up as Uncle Billy’s Goats. Most of those in leadership positions in the militia were under fifty summers. Many in the ranks on both sides were current and former military leaders whose experience and counsel were not welcome during the planning and execution phases of a complex campaign event. After over thirty-six years in this obsession, this writer notes that this is often the case. When applied to mainstream events, this is acceptable. When planning and executing large campaign events of this nature this provides the potential for disaster.
      The old saw is: “no military plan survives initial enemy contact”, or, “the first shot”. While it is good to have a level of excitement or surprise at an event, successful warriors are those who keep their men informed as to what is expected of them and how they are to fulfill the commander’s intent. Perhaps campaign events need a little more information provided to all troops because, as peers and volunteer hobbyists, we don’t need to be left out of enjoying the experience of knowing what is going on because we don’t belong to a particular clique. Human action causes enough surprises and alterations to careful plans.
      The same Ida that passed up the east coast and tore up New England caused the Flint River to flood. It also sucked all the moisture out of the region that was supposed to bring rain over the weekend, but caused it to hold off until Tuesday. The weekend following the event, we expect heavy thunderstorms both days. Participants dodged another bullet when the national airline scheduling computer broke down completely in the week following the event causing massive air travel headaches, particularly in Atlanta. In this case, Mother Nature allowed us to make our own misery.
      I also learned that you can use digits to start a fire. In the days when all we had were unit newsletters or letters to the editor in the Camp Chase Gazette, we didn’t have Keyboard Kommandos seeking a reputation and self-esteem through repetitious posts and kewl avatars. Let’s count to ten or twenty before we pound on our keyboards. I’ve learned that when paper burns, it puts out a lot of light and not a lot of heat. When digits burn up in threads, the opposite occurs. In addition, I discovered Georgia stone eggs- the longer you lay on them, the larger they become.
      Dave Stieghan
      Private and Brevet cook
      David Stieghan
      aka, DBAR1918

US Army Infantry Branch Historian,
      Fort Benning, Georgia

Former Regular Army Field Artillery Caption, Disabled
      Costumed Interpreter since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by Coatsy View Post
        I challenge anyone who feels that the event did not live up to their expectations to put ON an event of this magnitude, and MAKE IT HAPPEN, and bust past what happened at Bummers. This is not me being an asshole or cranky, but a genuine call for my fellow 'enactors to be pro active and roll the dice. I know that there is an ambitious event in Tennessee with wagons next year. I know that there is an ambitious event in south west Georgia in a refurbished town next year as well. This is our hobby. Make it happen!
        Amen Herb! There are a lot of those who are very quick to judge an event without the experience of hosting one. I have never hosted an event, obviously, but I grew up with a father who did for 20+ years. It gets exhausting when you've worked long and hard on planning and executing, time away from your family, all in preparation for the big event...... and then to have someone bash it in the end when they've never done one themselves.

Keep up the good work guys!! You've gotten TONS of positive feedback from the civilians! ;) BUMMERS II !!!!!

Elizabeth Warnick Landrum
        Elizabeth Landrum
        IR Team Mom

Comment

HEAR,HEAR!!!! Damn Good Job, boys!!!

Comment

Herb,
            You and all the people who had a part in putting on this epic event did a fantastic job. Was it perfect? No. I can think of few things that are other than my wife's taste in men.
            Some of the criticism voiced on this forum could be legitimate. Some is not worth concerning yourself with. I read at least one post where the writer did not bother to attend the event but found time to write complaints about it anyway. I guess it is easier to sit at a keyboard and whine than to get in the field and sweat.
            The Armory Guards, Mess # 1 and everyone involved deserves a well done from all who attended Bummers.
            Tom Dodson
            Tom Dodson

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Tipton View Post
              From "Marching With Sherman" By Henry Hitchcock
              Sunday, November 13, 1864

"Amazing campaign through this wild country. Road often through dense woods, close underbrush and between hills."

"Begun of top of mountain and ran down the whole side and across our road and beyond."

This book was one of those on our reading list prior to the event:

http://www.bummers09.com/History.html

Remember that we were only about twenty or thirty miles from where the 15th Corps swung out from Atlanta before traveling southeast toward Savannah.
              Yes Eric, I know. An ancestor of mine was in the 3rd Division of the 15th Corps and I am quite familiar with every step of the way. My point was specific to their route and I should have made that clear.

"Sotto Voce," with regards to any other comments...
              Chip Uhlir
              SCAR

Comment

I dont know about the rest of you but I was ready to do it agian the minute I left.
                Christian Jebb

(Double D)

Comment

Thank you much Armory Guards and Mess #1 for letting me be a part of this epic event. I can't wait for another Armory Guards production. Great work- there are those of us that really appreciate what y'all went through with putting this on. I'm glad I got to help with a workday- now to pay the speeding ticket!
                  Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                  WIG/GVB
                  In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Originally posted by David Dalton View Post
                    I dont know about the rest of you but I was ready to do it agian the minute I left.
                    I felt the same way. I said the same thing to my guys.:)..It would have been the death of Herb and the other organizers but that would have been a stellar 5 day event.
                    [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by PetePaolillo View Post
                      I felt the same way. I said the same thing to my guys.:)..It would have been the death of Herb and the other organizers but that would have been a stellar 5 day event.
                      Chuck and I made it into a 72-hour event, starting Thursday morning, and it was still too short.

Hank Trent
                      hanktrent@gmail.com
                      Hank Trent

Comment

Amen. The time was to short! Herb and all who works so hard, Thank you, Thank you and that doesn't seem half enough. If I never have a chance to attend another in will live in my memories fondly. Thank You!! one and all from a sister in the twin cabins.
                        [FONT="Times New Roman"][/FONT]
                        Charlene Staples
                        Delavan, WI

Citizens of The Old NorthWest
                        Boonesfield Village
                        Lost Tribes
                        Bummers

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Trent View Post
                          Chuck and I made it into a 72-hour event, starting Thursday morning, and it was still too short.

Hank Trent
                          hanktrent@gmail.com
                          Hank,

I would have been happy to take an extra two or three days, to march the river trail and climb the first half dozen hills. Of course, I'm old and tired! :)
                          Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Hello all,
                            I just looked at pictures from another event in November on the other forum . We should be very grateful that anone has the guts to put on a A.C. quality event. None of us are paid for our efforts in this hobby except maybe some sutlers . While no event will ever be perfect in everone's eyes . It was a good event .

We did not have to worry about
                            • ratios
                            • how far to sutlers
                            • how far to portapots
                            • how far to parking
                            • firewood
                            • how close the grass was/was not mowed
                            • gal troops
                            • very bad impressions
                            • dismounted cavalry
                            The part of War we can expericence is waiting, hunger, thirst, being tired, long marches, looking for the enemy,complaining about the higher ups. Ya'll gave us that for the weekend on both sides.

This event is about as good as it can get for us on a weekend and for $35 dollar admission fee.I don't know where I can find better people, places or ideas than the ones on the A.C. I hate golf,tennis and other sports bore me to sleep. Fishing is fun, but I really like this hobby.

Thanks to all who spent countless hours of vacation time, phone calls ,hours thinking about this at work when you should of been aaaa working, e-mailing and dreaming.
                            Jerry Ross
                            Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
                            Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

Five or seven day events.... hmmmm.

The way I see it, there were two events this year that pushed the envelope. 2009 was bookended by Piney Woods and Bummers. To paraphrase myself, if "Piney Woods" and "Bummers" had a baby.... ;)
                              ERIC TIPTON
                              Former AC Owner

Comment

Anyone wanting an extended event, need only look at the "In the Van" folder for 2010. Should be interesting.
                                Michael Comer
                                one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
                                X