Why Tuesday through Saturday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Tuesday through Saturday?

I'm starting to make plans for Piney Woods. I was thinking about adding a day before the event and possibily the end. In confirming the days with the dates, I saw that the first day is Tuesday the tenth of March while the last day is Saturday the fourteenth. Last year, the event was a Wednesday through Sunday. Not a complaint, but what's the reason(s) for starting and ending the event a day early?
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Re: Why Tuesday through Saturday?

Perhaps to give folks a chance to start home Saturday and get home by Sunday. That way only one week requires time off instead of spreading it across two weeks. I really don't know, just my guess.
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Comment

Originally posted by pvt_jb View Post
      Perhaps to give folks a chance to start home Saturday and get home by Sunday. That way only one week requires time off instead of spreading it across two weeks. I really don't know, just my guess.
      I don't have any inside information, but I think you probably hit it on the head. ....

Personally, I kind of like it. It is a day longer this "campaign", and this does give folks the good head start out. This event is really kind of a "Hardcore Campaigner Fantasy Camp", so I think the extra day is a feature and will not at all affect attracting the level of living historians this event caters too.

I am tickled, (and grateful) the Ground Hornets put another of these together. I talked to one guy the other day about BGR, among many other with the same position, who said in his 29 years in the hobby this was the best soldiering campaign experience he ever experienced.

This isn't an event for everyone though....

See you there!
      Jay Stevens
      Tater Mess
      Independent Volunteers
      Iron Man Mess
      Reenactor Preservation Coalition
      Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
      Lost Tribes, October 2009
      Bummers, November 2009
      Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
      The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
      In the Van, August 2010
      Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

We added a day. That's the simple answer. It gives folks time to get there early in the week and time to get home when it is over. It is pretty obvious that a week is needed counting travel time coming and going. Besides, you get an extra day to play in the Kisatchie wilderness. As Jay said, it is not an event for everyone and the length of time it spans is not the only reason. It is a tough event. It is suppose to be a tough event. Misery is a soldiers lot and this event will have its share of misery. But it will be a good one. If you are up to such a task, you will be glad you attended.
        Last edited by Old Reb; 10-12-2008, 08:41 PM.
        Tom Yearby
        Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

I know I'm anxious to go. It'll be an immersion experience in more ways than one for me. On one hand, it'll be great to finally attend one of these 'week long' events I've dreamt of ever since reading an AAR back ten years ago about Red River II or I, can't remember which. Then, the fact that I'll be in the 'international' company of the 28th LA just throws the icing on the cake. Immersing myself in both the 19th century and French cultures will probably be the greatest CW experience I've ever had... J'ai besoin d'étudier le français et l'allemand cet hiver....
          The days chosen for the event will probably work out pretty well. One week off from work will be enough, I think, if we get out of there early enough on Saturday and drive steady all the way home... Too bad Monday to Friday wasn't chosen, though...

Bill Birney
          William Birney
          Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
          Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

It has a little to do with turkeys and live rounds
            Rick Biddle
            Co. A 4th VA Stonewall Brigade
            Co. A 15th TX Texas Ground Hornets

Minion of the Warlord

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over" - MG William T. Sherman

Comment

The schedule actually works out quite well for me. A few of us from Out West are looking at making a long weekend of the trip out and hitting the Digging In event at Pea Ridge before heading down on Monday for Into the Piney Woods. At least in this case having two quality events in near proximity in consecutive weeks is a plus for us.
              Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
              1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
              Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Silas,

As Rick has said, getting shot by turkey hunters is not fun so we opted for dates that put us in front of that. Also, the NSA had originally scheduled their "Pea Ridge" event for the weekend just before Piney Woods. That event has now been cancelled.

However, as Reverend Groves has stated, the "Digging In" event is doable for folks looking for a Red River preamble. If you've never seen it, the Pea Ridge battlefield is fantastic. It's two and a half hours north and west of me. Folks wishing to swing down through Conway where I live can feel free to grab a beer. I can host a few fellers though my good wife may make you work around the house to earn your keep.

A few others mentioned that by doing the event in the middle of the week folks can travel to and from the event with plenty of time to spare and return in time to rest up.

Hope this helps.
                Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

For those doing a road trip via I10 Tucson to El Paso, you might consider stopping into the LA Posta restaurant located in the original Butterfield Stage adobe in Old Mesilla just outside of Las Cruces, New Mexico if the timing is right. Best Mexican food you will ever wrap you tonsils around…bar none and the prices are right. In addition, if you walk just a block west of there, you will find the old town square and the site where the Arizona Territory Ordinance of Secession was signed March 16, 1861. Markers are there.
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua][/FONT][COLOR=Navy]Barb McCreary (also known as Bertie)
                  Herbal Folk Healer, Weaver and Maker of Fine Lye Soap[/COLOR]
                  [url]www.winstontown.com[/url]

Comment

Since your heading down I-10, then stop off Marbach Drive in San Antonio. Its where Earl Van Dorn surrounded and captured a horde of National Trrops after Twiggs Surrender.
                    The troops were on the way to the coast to head north months after Twiggs Surrender. Earl Van Dorn late a Major of the 2nd U.S. Cav., gathered a bunch of local men (you could hardly call em soldiers), surrounded the infantry and forced them to surrender. Earl Van Dorn did not recognize the agreement signed by General twiggs and the majority of these men were held the duration of the war.
                    Only a marker, marks the spot, the homes of San Antonio in the area though all have names of Civil War Battles.
                    As far as Mexican Food, ya'all know they have more than a few good eateries down there.
                    Dusty Lind
                    Running Discharge Mess
                    Texas Rifles
                    BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

What we really need is a BBQ trail, and Mr. Yearby has already covered close in to Kisatchie so I am compiling good eats toward Dallas and Little Rock. Chime in one and all.

The Tuesday-Saturday is a God send for me, as Boise might as well be on the moon connection wise. I can't even get at a direct flight to Dallas, let alone anywhere closer, so I need a half day either way just to travel from an airport...and eat BBQ. :)
                      Soli Deo Gloria
                      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
                      X