Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registration Now Open for Into the Piney Woods

All,

In the spirit of Halloween, we're offering a treat and opening registration a day early.

To register, simply direct your browser to www.intothepineywoods.com

You'll see the registration link at the very top of the page.

Registration is $50. Your fee will cover rations for the duration of the event, the wagons which will carry our supplies, insurance, and other expenses inherent in putting on an event of this nature. Any remaining funds will be donated to preservation.

You can email your registration form or submit it by mail. If you use PayPal, please be sure to add $2 extra to help cover the fee imposed by that site.

Remember- you are not registered until you have paid.

I'd be remiss in not thanking Bill Treadway and Jackie Smith. Bill has been the front-man (as he was for BGR) in handling the event website and Jackie has handled the grunt-work of building and maintaining the site. I'd like to personally thank both of them.

Registration will close one month before the event. That means you have four and a half months to get signed up and paid.

This event is for folks hardy of mind and body. It will be physically and mentally taxing. For five days you'll live the life of a Civil War soldier on campaign in a remote and pristine woodland wilderness.

Gear can be loaned, attitude can't. Don't sit this one out because you think your kit isn't cool enough.

We look forward to seeing you at Into the Piney Woods in March!

Regards,
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Re: Registration Now Open for Into the Piney Woods

If one looks at the registration, it does not list the individual companies and commanders that one can sign up for.

If you are going Federal and don't have a particular company in mind, please consider joining Co. C which I will be commanding.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Mr. Baker,

I am excited about the prospect of attending ITPW. I went on two of Jack King's Red River Campaigns in 1994 and 1999, and had a great time.

I am a stumped however at the tone that the registration form sets. Namely, it tells potential participants that is they come as Confederates, they may be forced to switch to Union. Why do they have to switch? Can't we just have fun depicting what we want to? What would it really matter if one side had more than the other: afterall we are there to have a good time. I appreciate what you are doing, I just don't see need for being heavy handed. I take vacation to do what I enjoy, not to be told "either find a blue suit or get lost".

The other thing is, folks are telling me that the registration time is limited as is the number of participants. If true, this is also a little disappointing, as I was planning on raising a group of about ten to twelve Confederates to come with me.

Would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,

Fred A.
      Spaight's Texas Inf Bn, CSA

Comment

Hi,

I sent my registration through e-mail. If it has not gone through again let me know, and I will send it with the money order. Thanks

Andrew
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Fred and all,

Registration is not capped at this time. If we begin to approach a point that we feel is our upper limit, we will post such with plentiful warning.

We used the same policy at Banks' Grand Retreat and didn't have to ask anyone to switch impressions. Furthermore, with registration cut-off a month ahead of time, we would contact folks 3-4 weeks from the start of the event if we felt that we had an imbalance of grey vs. blue, not at the event. Ultimately, yes, we are all out to have a grand time. But 5-1 odds wouldn't be remotely accurate. I would hope no one would see this as a "go blue or get lost" policy. It's there to make sure we have force ratios that are accurate to the time, place, and campaign we are portraying.

Cut-off is Feb 10, one month prior to the event. I don't find that unreasonable and I hope others don't either. We have to order and produce foodstuffs as well as treatment tablets sufficient to provision every man with sufficient water.

The Red River events organized by Mr. King, while unique, were not all that much like Into the Piney Woods, or its predecessor- Banks' Grand Retreat. We had veterans of the earlier Red River events with us at BGR and I suspect they can pipe up with their thoughts.

If you are looking for a home for the event, I'd suggest Bill Treadway's Confederate company as a possibility. He will be heading up a good sized group hailing from the Far West. You and any fellows who you organize would find a good home with his outfit.

I hope this helps with your questions. If you have any other concerns, please contact me via email at baker@hendrix.edu or via PM on this forum.

Regards,
          Fred Baker

Comment

I've offered my services to try to raise a company of "locals." We would need a whole company of men to stand independently. Otherwise, we will roled into another companies ranks.
            Mr. Adolphus, perhaps you and your dozen men would be happy to find a company home with men from Texas and Louisiana. I am talking up the event to men in the Texas Rifles ,1st Tx, and Red River battalion.
            I'd love to see a group of us that have all served together in one way or another.
            Perhaps WE will be the Big Bad Wolf in the woods!

Frank J Marek
            Texas Rifles

Comment

Just sent in my registration
              Kevin Barnes

Comment

That was easy Fred and Tom - well done on the registration!

Got my shoes reshod and am ready to put on some more miles of sand, dirt, mud, rocks and goodness knows what else in the Howling Wilderness, while chasing gray, brown and undyed ghosts.

Immersion is too soft a word for this experience. BGR remains the best event ever for me...and I can safely say IPW will be probably go one better.

Don't miss it comrades. Gray or blue, fox or hound, its all good.
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

An update from this side of the Atlantic. Currently we have 12 iron-clad confirmations, Brits and French, and I'm hoping that eventually we'll get close to or even exceed 20!!!!
                  Will keep you posted.
                  Warm regards to all,
                  Patrick Reardon,
                  The Lazy Jack Mess, UK

Comment

The Lazy Jacks and comrades set the standard. They are tough fellows and will be a welcome addition at Piney Woods.

This event is dedicated to two fallen comrades. One of those men, Steve Boulton, capably served as the first sergeant for the Ground Hornet/Lazy Jack company at BGR. His passing was tragic and we seek to honor his memory and legacy beneath the tall pines in March.

With men coming in numbers at or near company strength from the UK and Europe, I certainly hope that fellows from closer locales will make the trek to Kisatchie National Forest for Into the Piney Woods.

Will it be a challenge to miss work or school or beg a kitchen pass? Yes, it likely will. Will it be worth it? Read the AAR's from Banks' Grand Retreat and see the excitement building around Into the Piney Woods and decide for yourself.

As has been said before and will be said again- this event is NOT for those of weak mind or body. This will be a physically and mentally taxing event. Start busting down now and don't miss out on the event!

Get registered and get a carpool organized.
                    Fred Baker

Comment

Fred Adolphus,

You and I served in the same company (Pat Dowd's company) at Red River II. You were in the Mad Dog Mess if I remember correctly. I served as 3rd sgt. in the company and marched next to or near you the entire event. I was also at BGR last year and can say that both RRII and BGR were great events, but BGR was better overall. There was almost nothing modern at BGR and at RRII we marched on paved roads, filled canteens from plastic garden hoses, etc. But at RRII we did build a bridge or two, repaired a couple of roads so the wagons could pass, bathed in creeks, and many, many other great things. But BGR had things like bartering with the civilians and eating chicken that Cody Mobly had just killed, cleaned and cooked as well as many, many other great things.

I were you I would fall in with Frank Marek. He's a great leader and a hell of a guy and the Texas Rifles are a first rate group. Either way come join us and I promise you will not be disappointed.

Regards,
                      Stephen Johns
                      Stephen Johns

Save Mansfield

Comment

An amazing thing has just occurred : I have registred before the very last day to register. The money order with reg info was posted today.
                        Silas Tackitt,
                        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I didn't hype BGR. If you missed it, you missed a good experience in a good place. Into the Pineywoods will be better. Don't miss it.
                          Tom Yearby
                          Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Old Reb View Post
                            I didn't hype BGR. If you missed it, you missed a good experience in a good place. Into the Pineywoods will be better. Don't miss it.
                            Tom and Fred and support staff certainly avoided "hype" on BGR, and got max points for truth in advertising. In short, they did exactly what they said they would do and the result exceeded our expectations. Everyone worked together and it all came together well. Create a real soldier environment and good folks step up to become real soldiers. Ditto on the civilian side.

100% credibility in event creation is not easily earned, but earn it they have. :)
                            Soli Deo Gloria
                            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
                            X