What is Piney Woods all about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Piney Woods all about?

I saw a naughtly little elf taking a crack at the uniform standards for Into the Piney Woods in another thread. I believe it was directed at a particular type of belt plate which was either allowed or not allowed, thus comprosing the standards of the event.

For the record, the Ground Hornets are not putting on this event to hold an uber-cool fashion show. While we hope fellows will have good kits and take their impression seriously, that is not the over-riding concern. Kit only takes one so far. Owning the high-end, expenisve, museum-patterned gear is fine but what's the point of owning it and never using it?

What this hobby lacks is people with the right attitude. At BGR we had 200 folks with the right attitude. They were there to get a taste of soldiering. To hump a pack and stand picket next to their buddies. To eat hardcrackers and slab bacon and drink water drawn from a creek. To enjoy the few joys and more constant miseries of being a soldier. In short, to get as close a taste of what the fellows we theoretically strive to portray endured. I feel confident that a similar set of men will show up for Into the Piney Woods.

This is not an event about belt plates. It's not an event about the number of stitches on your cartridge box. Instead, it's an event about experiencing the life of a soldier for five days.

This event will take hardy folks, not flaky, pretentious whiners and snipers. If you are physically and mentally up for the event, come on down. If some particular piece of clothing or gear needs to be swapped with something, we'll square you away.

My guess is that if you asked the fellows who did Banks' Grand Retreat from start-to-finish if they remember what belt buckle the guys around them wore they'd neither remember nor care. They'd remember instead who was next to them and the experience that they had shared with those folks.

Tom Yearby wrote me an email after BGR which I hope he won't mind me posting. I've kept it and read it every now and then when I'm sick of seeing guys bash one another over trivial matters. I think this hits the essence of what we are striving for squarely on the head-

"It was all worth it to see those boys weary and bedraggled back at the parking lot Sunday morning. Then it was all worth it. Iron men they are. Every damn one of them and for those that live on keyboards and at sit around events, they know and we know the truth. The quest of the vision was reached. One of the many moments that I will remember forever was when old Cornbread came over and hugged me and with tears in his eyes said it was the best event he had ever attended and he had attended both the Red Rivers and would continue to come until he died in the woods with the boys."

Hope to see the Iron Men from BGR back in Kisatchie come March. Others up to the challenge are welcomed.
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Re: What is Piney Woods all about?

We shall be there, it is that all, us want...:wink_smil
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

PS: For the belt, mine will be pink, but as nobody looks :p
    William Miconnet
    French Mess
    AES
    BGR & IPW Survivor
    Never ever give up!
    In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
    I believe!

Comment

Yes, indeed, Iron Men they were and Iron Men they shall be! Guidelines for the event are generic Trans-Mississippi. They might not be unit specific enough for some people, but I have a doubt after the fourth day of slogging through bayou bottoms and scrambling up hills and eating poorly and sleeping little it will matter. A soldier's life on the campaign is what we are envisioning, not a sit around an admire who made what event. There are plently of events where one can do that, but few that allow five days on the campaign in a very remote region far from modern things. Fred and I want Into The Piney Woods to be better than BGR. That is our goal and those that attended BGR know that is a lofty goal, but one we are striving to implement. So, get registered and pay no attention to the boo birds that say that we have the wrong belt buckle on the guidelines. For the brave and hardy men of the 28th Louisiana such petty quibbling would no doubt seem rediculous. They cared not what they wore and probably didn't care where it came from. They cared about there mess mates. They cared about their comrades in arms. They cared about their homes and families. They no doubt cared little about their belt buckles. I have written enough, but I want to urge the hardy men of reenacting that want a unique experience to register and attend Into The Piney Woods. Since the complaint was directed at the Confederate guidelines, I wrote regarding those guidelines and in no way mean to slight the Federals who also took part in the Red River Campaign.
      Last edited by Old Reb; 12-11-2008, 11:08 AM.
      Tom Yearby
      Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

From my AAR for Banks Grand Retreat:

I have seen an army appear in an instant, silent as the grave, and there without warning. Even though I knew they were coming, and from which direction.

And in that dappled sunlit piney woods, one army looks about like another, hard to tell apart--weary, hard, hungry, men------here, gone.

At the time, my educated eye had difficulty in even discerning which army was upon us, never mind the details. A few days of this sort of solidering, and any pretense falls away, revealing a man's true ability and true attitude.
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

The guidelines are secondary. Show up, have a good time and LEARN!
          Nathan Hellwig
          AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
          "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

I would say that it is a whole, guidelines, authenticity, conviviality, friendship, etc. without important differences...
            But that effectively, a story of belt, it is secondary, I did not follow this story and Sincerely when we are 10000 km to come from Europe, for one event and that we chosen this event and not the other one, a story of belt seem surrealist and very very very secondary ;)
            Peace and Love for IPW and my ping belt too :) :) :)
            William Miconnet
            French Mess
            AES
            BGR & IPW Survivor
            Never ever give up!
            I believe!

Comment

Piney Woods is a soldiers event. I had many men that are and were real soldiers come up to me after BGR and tell me this was as close to the real thing as they got. It is an event that will take all the things you have read about in soldiers journals and bring them to life. The only thing we wont recreate is the flying lead and steel. Being out there in the middle of no where for more than two days really does it. We are looking at an event that will accumulate 37 miles of marching. Having tools food and ammo brought by wagons. No modern intrusions, filling your water in streams.
              A full week of immersion. Even those not used to first person were into it during the event. It wont be easy but neither were the things those iron men did during the war.
              Step up and come. We would love it if you did. You wont be sorry.
              Cheers
              Terry Sorchy

Comment

Fred, us Sample brothers will be there for sure! Maybe even with pink belts issued to us from our pard William from the Pink Flamingo Mess! Marty Rubin,Tater Mess

Comment

I have one question, you are sure, this model is good for IPW :D:):D
                  William Miconnet
                  French Mess
                  AES
                  BGR & IPW Survivor
                  Never ever give up!
                  I believe!

Comment

They might not be unit specific enough for some people
                    Tom Yearby

Hi,

I think that was the point made by several people. Would I personally like to see the guidelines more specific to the 28th Louisiana, yes. However, if you can get a kit that is close to what these men wore, it would not bother me. The one thing that I would change, is how the guidelines are set up. I would list the items in two sections. One being the items we know the 28th used, and the second being items that are generic to the Trans-Mississippi Theater. Doing this, I think, would clear up some of the problems. Just a thought.
                    I thik everyone has got it right, after the third day, no one is going to care what the guy next to him is wearing!!!!!!!!:D Thanks

Andrew
                    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Originally posted by Mcouioui View Post
                      I have one question, you are sure, this model is good for IPW :D:):D
                      Damn... I need to get that belt... Newest reenactor fashion from Paris...

William Birney
                      William Birney
                      Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
                      Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

That belt needs a Bully Buy!!

Billy, have you read that diary from that thar Illinois feller in French yet? Just thought I'd mention it (again).
                        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Andrew,
                          Let me tell you one thing about this "specific" guidelines. I have seen and received messages about specifics that have little more than a two word quotation that was in large part misinterpreted and used to form one persons opinion of what a group should be wearing. I've also seen a two word quotation be used as examples of what jacket a group should be wearing 6 months from the date of the quote. Jackets didn't last that long.

The problem is with a "specific" impression is that you are probably more incorrect by going after that (unless you have a picture) than a generic impression for the scenario. On top of that, asking a group of people to continuously fill their closets with jackets they may use once, is probably as close to retarded as one can get.

I've got no dog in this fight, as I'm not attending the event due to real life. But I know that the Ground Hornets are one of the finest groups in the hobby, do not lack on standards and can out march any silk footed person that wants to challenge them. I enjoy their friendship, and admire their hard work.
                          Patrick Landrum
                          Independent Rifles

Comment

I joke with my pink belt for relax atmosphere and put in perspective, but far from me the idea to boost the belt debate, because very honestly, I did not look this debate.
                            What is the guidelines, I would follow it, but I understand that it is very difficult to impose something to the people, while alone it is simple to make.
                            But as I have already said, this event is a whole and the seriousness of the guidelines is also important for me as the other things which make this event.
                            William Miconnet
                            French Mess
                            AES
                            BGR & IPW Survivor
                            Never ever give up!
                            I believe!

Comment

On top of that, asking a group of people to continuously fill their closets with jackets they may use once, is probably as close to retarded as one can get.
                              Hi,

I do that way to much!!!!!!!!:wink_smil:D
                              Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Working...
                              X