Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is Piney Woods all about?

Andrew,

To re-iterate what Fred and Tom have said, this event is NOT about who wore what buckle. This event is about getting off ones computer and attending an event that IMHO, will be as close to the real deal as you will find.

A 5 day event is so unlike a weekend event. You end up BECOMING a company, instead of just 35 guys with a couple of strap hangers, depending an each other to make it to mustering out.

You don't need to be a marathon runner to take part in this event, just have a modicum of physical fitness, as well (and probably more important) as the mental fortitude to continue to put one foot after the other when the going gets tough.

BTW, Tom or Fred, the guys around me were wearing US buckles:D
    Rob Murray

Comment

Timothy Arnold, Scott Busenbark, and Preston Todd these were just names before BGR. After BGR they became my brothers.

That is what this event is about.
      Nathan Hellwig
      AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
      "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Hear, Hear Holler!

I don't really care myself. As I recall at BGR, Federals were to wear frocks and mounted trowsers. In our company; probably 1/4 of the guys were wearing frocks. I may have seen two pairs of mounted trowsers myself. There were many Federal blouses and jackets.

I guess my point is that it did not matter to anyone at the event. You became soo busy with marching, fighting, cooking, eating, sleeping and surviving that no one even cared who was wearing what. The kick is just being out there and living the life of a mid 19th Century soldier. It's about as close as we can come in the 21st Century. As Holler stated, you will definitely make new friends and alliances. You have to count on one another to live.

Plus the Federal guidelines are pretty easy to pull off this time around.
        sigpic
        Grandad Wm. David Lee
        52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
        - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

I think we should reenact the battle of Agincourt 1415. Most of the Army had diahorrea. Try dropping trou with chainmail and armour!!! This would make it a little more appropriate to the Henry V, Shakespeareian speech that was delivered at the end by one of Mr. Sorchey's boys and I wish I had been able to memorize that speech (although I have been working on it).
          Aside from trying to be faceious here, it was all that and more.
          Guidelines are a good thing but even more important is finding good men that will do their duty. With out them we have no army and one is left alone in the woods holding the bag. Anyone who would say differently has never planned an event.
          If you ain't there....
          Now back to filling the ranks

Frank Aufmuth
          Frank Aufmuth
          When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

It is Azincourt, but for the rest of your message, I agree with you ;)
            William Miconnet
            French Mess
            AES
            BGR & IPW Survivor
            Never ever give up!
            In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
            I believe!

Comment

Yeah, Frank. It was Azincourt not Agencourt. Azincourt was when Big Foot Wallace and the Texas Rangers whupped the entire French army along the Rio Grande.
              Tom Yearby
              Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Another urban legend :) :) :), It is the episode with Luke Skywalker? I did not look at it that ... :) :) :)
                William Miconnet
                French Mess
                AES
                BGR & IPW Survivor
                Never ever give up!
                I believe!

Comment

William,
                  Do a web search of Big Foot Wallace. There will be a test of your knowledge regarding him at Into the Piney Woods.
                  Tom Yearby
                  Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

I joke obviously Tom, put that at the count of the French chauvinism ;)
                    William Miconnet
                    French Mess
                    AES
                    BGR & IPW Survivor
                    Never ever give up!
                    I believe!

Comment

Originally posted by Mcouioui View Post
                      I have one question, you are sure, this model is good for IPW :D:):D
                      If anybody shows up with a new issue pink belt, I am sure Tom and Fred will rub some dirt on it to make it look a little more "worn." Course, after the first day at BGR we all looked alike, as Terry's quote states. ;)

Seriously, it's funny how real soldiering quickly removes us from the rediculous crap this hobby sometimes worries about on-line. Out in the field, in first person, is where the hobby gets closest to the real deal. Fortunately thanks to Tom and Fred and Eric and Ken, Tripp, etc...there is plenty of real soldiering on tap for 2009.
                      Soli Deo Gloria
                      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

If I am sure Tom and Fred will rub some dirt on it to make it look a little more "worn."

If you are referring to your sparkling Pen jacket when you came to the Mansfield muster, you must remember that the muddy handprint and tobacco juice were done out of love.......

No other reason.
                        Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
                        Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Well I don't know how you spell it but that's how it's spelled in the books here. Just looked it up...again.
                          A-G-I-N-C-O-U-R-T
                          The Face of Battle,p 67-100. Don't like it? Take it up with John Keegan.

Frank Aufmuth
                          Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Re: What is Azincourt all about?

Azincourt happens to be the French spelling of the area in question.Pardon the spelling differences William,English (and American) folks tend to spell things a little different to get the sounds right.
                            Ron Moen
                            Co.A, First Texas Infantry (Retired)
                            CWPT
                            E Clampus Vitus

Comment

Yeah, I didn't want people on the other side of the ocean thinking I was incompetent. I get enough of that from the wife;)
                              Frank Aufmuth
                              Frank Aufmuth

Comment

No problem, i indeed understand Ron, we also play with English spoken, so that rings better, I think moreover that in all the spoken languages ;)
                                William Miconnet
                                French Mess
                                AES
                                BGR & IPW Survivor
                                Never ever give up!
                                I believe!

Comment

Working...
                                X