36-hour vs. week long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36-hour vs. week long

I have not run across a period crotch powder label anywhere.
    By the way, MC Oui Oui says he's bringing a car.

When you hear my engine revving, hell will be upon you.
    Quand tu ecoute la bruit de mon engine, l'enfer arrive.
    [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
    Independent Volunteers
    [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Comment

The french car I hope? :D
      William Miconnet
      French Mess
      AES
      BGR & IPW Survivor
      Never ever give up!
      In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
      I believe!

Comment

I have just understood the joke :confused_:tounge_sm
        I wanted to say Cup, I know not why I have write Car, because even in French we say Quart and not Car, it is the fault of my son with his film at which he looks twice a day, Car.:cry_smile:D
        In French we name that a inattention fault...:confused_
        William Miconnet
        French Mess
        AES
        BGR & IPW Survivor
        Never ever give up!
        In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
        I believe!

Comment

Fred Baker has the best advice. If you are close enough to hear Captain Tucker's whistle, you'd better be wearing SCBA or you will be a very sick man. Five days of combat fatigue, cheap whiskey and a high protein diet can be lethal.
          Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
          Terry Pratchett

Comment

Fergus,
            Did we untie Captain Tucker from that tree when he was with us a few weeks ago on our Kisatchie trek? I can't remember.
            Tom Yearby
            Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Old Reb View Post
              Fergus,
              Did we untie Captain Tucker from that tree when he was with us a few weeks ago on our Kisatchie trek? I can't remember.
              Good question Tom. He was hugging the tree last time I saw him.
              Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
              Terry Pratchett

Comment

It is funny to me that so many "authentic campaigners" are suddenly having a crotch powder crisis.

Like a shark smells blood from miles away, the Bayou Yeti smells Gold Bond (c) across the Piney Woods and seeks his prey while they sleep. But it isn't hunger that fuels his drive, it is a fetish. Beware the crotch sniffing Yeti.

:p
                Joe Smotherman

Comment

Never purchased a container of the stuff in my life. I agree that the sky does seem to be falling about the absolute need for Gold Bond.

The next big thing to be discussed will be chemical preventative measures against a particular, common, blood sucking, creepy crawlie.
                  Silas Tackitt,
                  one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas View Post
                    Speaking from experience learned at Banks, there are streams all over the place. No one is expected to be as clean at Piney Woods as they would be at home, but there are few valid reasons why folks cannot wash the face and hands once a day. To me, that's the big difference between this event and the usual weekend events. One can go without bathing at the usual events. Same for changes of clothes. However, a long event like this requires some forethought. A simple task like taking a couple minutes every day to wash or a few minutes to wash a pair of socks will make a world of difference in one's ability to withstand the entire week. A little effort at normalcy goes a long, long way.
                    When was there actually time for this?

I don't know of anyone in our company who had the time or energy. After the marching stopped, the real work of logistical rations, water details, gathering enough firewood for the night, cooking, eating, posting/standing picket duty....and hopefully some sleep; one was too tired and it was too dark/cold to care.

Just saying, don't everyone count on it......

....just bring deoderant and fresh clothes for the ride home.
                    Jay Stevens
                    Tater Mess
                    Independent Volunteers
                    Iron Man Mess
                    Reenactor Preservation Coalition
                    Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
                    Lost Tribes, October 2009
                    Bummers, November 2009
                    Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
                    The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
                    In the Van, August 2010
                    Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by MO-Pard View Post
                      ....just bring deoderant and fresh clothes for the ride home.
                      Sound advice and one that will be practiced as 4 of us from California will be driving straight back following the conclusion of the event.
                      [FONT=Georgia][/FONT][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]Dan Biggs[/FONT][/SIZE]

-Member of the Southwest Volunteers Mess

Comment

There is time aplenty. You just need to recognize the opportunites and seize them. With just a little effort, you can feel tons better than just leaving the grime on.

As far as times, I remember three times at Banks. One was after the forced march and battle when we cut off the Feds. We had about an hour's wait by a stream. I took advantage of the stop and washed two pairs of socks plus myself. Felt like a million bucks. Another was the following day when we were in the burnt zone after our coldest night in the field. There was a stream a short distance to the rear. The final one was the last night in the field at the same crossing where your company engaged in a firefight.

I didn't want to wash at all. I, too, was tired, but I felt as refreshed afterwards as if I had consumed a steaming cup of strong coffee. When I feel refreshed, I tend to go farther and have a less grumpy attitude. That's just my take. I know my pards like it when I'm less grumpy.

Seems to me that this very topic is mentioned in Kautz and Butterfield. If you've got a canteen, you can get clean. Or be funky. It's your choice.
                        Silas Tackitt,
                        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I washed my nads and buttocks upstream from the Feds and then peed in it. That's what soldiers do when they are not doing those other things Jay was talking about.
                          Fergus Bell

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Just a suggestion for those travelling long distances home ...

You can google for state parks with campgrounds along your route of travel. Most will have bathrooms and showers. I've done this when travelling alone. With a carload, you will attract attention, so you should probably pay for a campsite and be a registered visitor. Cost is usually around $20. Trust me, the $20 is worth not smelling each other all the way home, getting a clean toilet to use at your leisure, and having a chance to check for ticks before they get entrenched.
                            Joe Smotherman

Comment

The next big thing to be discussed will be chemical preventative measures against a particular, common, blood sucking, creepy crawlie.
                              Surely you can put off the IRS until April 15th. :p
                              [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                              [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

There is time aplenty. You just need to recognize the opportunites and seize them. With just a little effort, you can feel tons better than just leaving the grime on.

As far as times, I remember three times at Banks. One was after the forced march and battle when we cut off the Feds. We had about an hour's wait by a stream. I took advantage of the stop and washed two pairs of socks plus myself. Felt like a million bucks. Another was the following day when we were in the burnt zone after our coldest night in the field. There was a stream a short distance to the rear. The final one was the last night in the field at the same crossing where your company engaged in a firefight.

I didn't want to wash at all. I, too, was tired, but I felt as refreshed afterwards as if I had consumed a steaming cup of strong coffee. When I feel refreshed, I tend to go farther and have a less grumpy attitude. That's just my take. I know my pards like it when I'm less grumpy.

Seems to me that this very topic is mentioned in Kautz and Butterfield. If you've got a canteen, you can get clean. Or be funky. It's your choice.
                                Of the times you mentioned, I recall water details and guarding prisoners ironically.

At any rate, if you personally actually had the time, then bully for you. I am only saying there were more important things to get done in my (and those in my company I am aware of) opinions. And that includes any chance to savor any chance for much-needed rest/sleep. Personally, for me and am some others, it doesn't affect drive or attitude and is the farthest concern from the mind. Myself and clothes start out clean, and although I may splash water on my face or dump a canteen over my head, I know I am going to get dirty. To me though, it's like the rule of eating barbeque, "Just Clean up when you're through," lol. Personally, in 'real life', I love to be clean and think anyone would be rather surprised with that "look", lol. But I have extra shirts and socks I can switch out of and I may drag it through a creek as we pass, but I may not or may not be able to. I guess the long and short of it is, new guys, if you have time and safety out of range of enemy pickets, anyone is certainly welcome to if that is how you best choose to expend your non-marching, non-fatigue time. For me, it (BGR & now Piney), took me down to the basics and made me decide what was really important to me to survive and keep moving day after day. I am sure if this event were like 2 weeks there would be a time in there I would hopefully been better able to safely do some 'warshing', but with the extra shirts and socks, I think I can get by and will probably concentrate on other aspects during the waning light and breaks in pursuit. Nothing wrong with wanting to be clean-just saying there were more important things to do for us, it doesn't bother/affect me and if I am butt-tired & have to be up in three hours to oversee picket duty, before another hard march in the morning....I am eating and taking advantage of a little sleep. And of course, even that sleep isn't guaranteed:wink_smil

To each his own....
                                Jay Stevens
                                Tater Mess
                                Independent Volunteers
                                Iron Man Mess
                                Reenactor Preservation Coalition
                                Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
                                Lost Tribes, October 2009
                                Bummers, November 2009
                                Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
                                The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
                                In the Van, August 2010
                                Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Working...
                                X