Consider.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consider.....

I would encourage anyone who wants to experience some good first person interaction/period experiences to consider taking a turn being a POW at this event.

You have several days on campaign so it isn't like you are spending most of the event as a POW. You will gain greater perspectives, period moments and experiences as well. At most weekend events you sit off in a corner and wait to be exchanged. Here, you will travel, on campaign, with your 'hosts.' And there is nothing more rewarding and meaningful, than when exchanged and you are reunited with your messmates. In that regard, it is an experience for them as well as they deal with the separation and concern for you.

At BGR there were some guys who seemed to get captured everyday....
    Jay Stevens
    Tater Mess
    Independent Volunteers
    Iron Man Mess
    Reenactor Preservation Coalition
    Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
    Lost Tribes, October 2009
    Bummers, November 2009
    Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
    The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
    In the Van, August 2010
    Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Re: Consider.....

This is very interesting, Jay. Kudos to your points. You are more than correct, as more often than not, the experience of a "prisoner" is not fully realized during weekend events. Being immersed for days, however, with the enemy, with little or no personal belongings in reach, is surely an experience that cannot be matched. Listening to "foreign" stories and banter, eating only what your given/offered...surely there are some who are attending IPW that would love to take on such an impression. I think the self-fulfillment of accomplishing this "challenge" could have far reaching effects for those who choose to participate within the role. Even if it is the 21st century and even if we are only reenactors, five or more days in the Louisiana woods at someone else's mercy surely takes its toll on you, one way or another.

Comment

The POW experience is not going to be what a CW soldier would have experienced. The primary failure is that POWs are moved away from the front line at the first opportunity, not marched along with the advancing column.

All first hand accounts I've read indicate that prisoners were gathered into manageable groups and headed to the nearest railhead for transport to the interior of the captor's lines for processing and separation of officers from enlisted.

And, I may be wrong, but I don't think the exchange of prisoners between active combatants was the SOP for either army. This does not include the parole of surrendered armies, such as occured at Donelson, Vicksburg, etc.
      Joe Smotherman

Comment

I'm a prisoner only if ya catch me and I don't catch you first, ya filthy rebel...:p

Good point, Brother Jay. There have been many events where I was wondering how the "other side" was actually doing. On a personal note rather than a period note, since many of our fellow compatriots in the hobby play one side more than the other, I rarely if any get to see these people at an event- even if it is to be their prisoner at that event.

Never thought about it really, but a good point nonetheless... Johnny Lloyd :wink_smil
        Johnny Lloyd
        John "Johnny" Lloyd
        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
        SCAR
        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by WoodenNutmeg View Post
          This is very interesting, Jay. Kudos to your points. You are more than correct, as more often than not, the experience of a "prisoner" is not fully realized during weekend events. Being immersed for days, however, with the enemy, with little or no personal belongings in reach, is surely an experience that cannot be matched. Listening to "foreign" stories and banter, eating only what your given/offered...surely there are some who are attending IPW that would love to take on such an impression. I think the self-fulfillment of accomplishing this "challenge" could have far reaching effects for those who choose to participate within the role. Even if it is the 21st century and even if we are only reenactors, five or more days in the Louisiana woods at someone else's mercy surely takes its toll on you, one way or another.
          It really does... It isn't often we have the opportunity to take on this role at events. It really kind of ties the two sides together and the other way (other than shooting at each other) to interact.

Imagine the POW's mindset... fear, dejection, fatigue, worry, uncertainty, personal survival, etc. How would you feel? Will you see your friends and family again? Would you attempt to barter for better treatment? Would you keep to yourself? Being a hero would be the furthest thing from your mind....

Oh- It certainly isn't my decision, but with both sides having POW's, there is motivation to exchange them and return them to the ranks as soon as possible, (so don't feel you will be in such a role more than a day. )
          Jay Stevens
          Tater Mess
          Independent Volunteers
          Iron Man Mess

Bummers, November 2009
          In the Van, August 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

[QUOTE=PogueMahone;137488]The POW experience is not going to be what a CW soldier would have experienced. The primary failure is that POWs are moved away from the front line at the first opportunity, not marched along with the advancing column.
            {QUOTE]

Joe- You are correct, however, the point being ,having the opportunity to take on the role and interact. Those experiences no matter how long, and the spirit and benefit of such at an event like this is the highlight. The railroad aspect ( I so love Choo-Choo's) would be nice but not within the scope of the event. Maybe at BGR/Piney 3.

I know you weren't against the idea by any means though.
            Jay Stevens
            Tater Mess
            Independent Volunteers
            Iron Man Mess

Bummers, November 2009
            In the Van, August 2010

Comment

Originally posted by MO-Pard View Post
              I know you weren't against the idea by any means though.

As far as I'm concerned, it is just another stick fort concept.

The focus of this event should not be combat or skirmishing, but movement on a day-to-day basis.
              Joe Smotherman

Comment

I agree with Joe.
                Tom Yearby
                Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

I, personally, like a good movement every day. Just sayin'.
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                  [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Forget that, I got captured at duck river and it sucked... no shoes to wear when you go to the sink... I don't think so, I'd rather be dead.

Brett "Homer" Keen
                    Chicago
                    [I]"Excessively spirited in the pranks and mischief of the soldier"[/I]

OEF 03-04 [I]Truth Through Exploitation[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by BrettKIllinois View Post
                      [...]I got captured at duck river and it sucked...no shoes to wear when you go to the sink...I don't think so, I'd rather be dead.
                      Ha...case in point.

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
                        As far as I'm concerned, it is just another stick fort concept.

The focus of this event should not be combat or skirmishing, but movement on a day-to-day basis.
                        Darned if I didn't forget the focus of this event for a sec, Joe.

But I do agree with the principle of what Jay said... sometimes it is nice to 'see how the other half lives' at events for me...

...but not without a fight. :p

All the best and see you in the Piney woods... Johnny Lloyd:wink_smil
                        Johnny Lloyd
                        John "Johnny" Lloyd
                        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                        SCAR
                        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

I ain't surrendering and no yankees are going to take me prisoner unless I break a leg and cannot crawl off to a good hiding place.....maybe a stick fort.
                          Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
                          Terry Pratchett

Comment

I'm pretty sure trying to be taken prisoner for the experience is something no Civil War soldier would ever have done, and is therefore farby. If I get taken prisoner, so be it, I will experience the whole thing, but I'll be damned if I try to get taken prisoner.
                            Andrew Roscoe,
                            The Western Rifles - An Authentic Civil War mess in PA, MD, VA, NC, and SC
                            24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry
                            Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Yes, let's put the how`cool it would be to be a prisoner to rest. It would be so unauthentic to try to get captured so that you could experience it is simply a rediculous idea. Sorry, Jay, but it is.
                              Tom Yearby
                              Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Working...
                              X