Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Consider.....

Originally posted by Old Reb View Post
    Yes, let's put the how`cool it would be to be a prisoner to rest. It would be so unauthentic to try to get captured so that you could experience it is simply a rediculous idea. Sorry, Jay, but it is.
    I think this thread has digressed and missed the initial point and intention, rather unfortunately.

I am by know means advocating anyone, especially my men, purposely getting captured. So let's get the intentional white flags and the dropping arms and running to the other side visions, out of the discussion.

This event (if it is like BGR) is about survival, under challenging physical and mental conditions. It is also, or became about relating to those around you whether it was your messmates, your company, your batallion, officers or possibly the enemy. As such, this relating, produced the best first person I experienced at any event. You can relate to all of those very easily, with the exception of the adversary, whether pursuer or pursuee. I was captured at Outpost under no fault of my own and not intentionally. We were about to be cut-off, and although I quickly informed our officers of the company (Ox) closing in behind us unseen to all else, we were ordered to stand tight and try to repel that advance with barely more than a section. We followed orders, and me and my platoon were all overrun and captured. The resulting FP and experience were rewarding and more period than most I have had out in the field over the years.

For those who know me, realize if at all possible I dont' advocate anything unauthentic. Rather, as authentic and challenging as possible, (and I also know that turns some people off as well.) That is why we are here. I harbor no hard feelings, because I honestly this has digressed of point and intention. To purposely, and unrealistically, do something to get captured is unauthentic; I certainly agree. However, the POW aspect is IMHO undrerepresented at most events. There were POW's. To not have POW's would be unauthentic in and of itself. In a "pursuing" campaign like this, you will arguably have more who get swallowed up. If you are cut-off, or gassed (don't be a hero), or in a situation it is pretty apparent, surrender. Self preservation would take over for anyone. I have also seen more than enough guys trying to be a hero or being unrealistic, (aka unauthentic.)

Alright, so now that all that is out in the open there is one other aspect in regard to all this, which the participants much decide or consider. "Hits" are of course secondary to the whole purpose of this event. Many would argue it would be unrealistic (aka unauthentic) to not have a few hits/casualties occasionally. (BTW- there was a pretty good distribution of hits at BGR...) The 28th LA will be pursued for 5 days, and all CS full well know, up front, if they take a hit, they will be captured and a POW. Anyone who does consider taking a hit, does consider being a POW, there are no two ways about it.

So, there isn't a blanket 'high road' for anyone. Which would be more authentic (taking the postive view here) for everyone's most authentic experience? No CS hits all week because anyone who even considered it was to some, possibly unathentic, Or, folks who are caught in unfortunate circumstances or choose to take a hit, full well understanding they will becom POW's?

I think I know which most would prefer. I will not consider anyone, who ends up whether by their choosing to take a hit or gets backed into a situation geting captured, unathentic by any means. If you were unathentic, you wouldn't be here.

Very Best Regards... Gotta go pack. Anyone arriving tomorrow night come on by and hang-out.
    Jay Stevens
    Tater Mess
    Independent Volunteers
    Iron Man Mess
    Reenactor Preservation Coalition
    Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
    Lost Tribes, October 2009
    Bummers, November 2009
    Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
    The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
    In the Van, August 2010
    Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Well, since the subject is now authenticity, I will see what I can do to make it rain, be humid, warm, the trail mired with sticky gumbo clay, the bayous chest deep in water, the hills high and the bottoms low, and then it should turn cold. I want people to be miserable at this event because a soldier's life is one of boredom, misery and brief periods of extreme terror. I doubt there will be time for boredom and if you have any terror, it will be of your own making, but I will do what I can on the misery angle. As soon as the CSA Sgt. Major, Mr. Ox shows up, I will prime him well to help be in this mission.
      Tom Yearby
      Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Old Reb View Post
        Well, since the subject is now authenticity, I will see what I can do to make it rain, be humid, warm, the trail mired with sticky gumbo clay, the bayous chest deep in water, the hills high and the bottoms low, and then it should turn cold. I want people to be miserable at this event because a soldier's life is one of boredom, misery and brief periods of extreme terror. I doubt there will be time for boredom and if you have any terror, it will be of your own making, but I will do what I can on the misery angle. As soon as the CSA Sgt. Major, Mr. Ox shows up, I will prime him well to help be in this mission.
        Awesome! Some of the best period moments are the suffering and banding together to overcome. That's when you lean on the lads in your company and pull each other through.

Best Regards

"Half Mile"
        Jay Stevens
        Tater Mess
        Independent Volunteers
        Iron Man Mess
        Reenactor Preservation Coalition
        Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
        Lost Tribes, October 2009
        Bummers, November 2009
        Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
        The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
        In the Van, August 2010
        Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Correct, Jay. Such thinking is often overlooked by folks who check the weather forecast for an event in advance, and make their final decision whether to attend or not on the weather. A soldier has no control over the weather. It is what it is and he is there. A soldier never forgets the terror, for it is branded on their brain forever. They quickly forget the bordedom when it passes like the wind. But the shared misery with their brothers is something they keep with them forever. It ain't about burning powder. It is about soldiering. Now, to go finish packing and fill the little bottle with popskull. See you in the Kisatchie, Half Mile!
          Tom Yearby
          Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Jay,

Don't forget your socks ;)
            Terre Hood Biederman
            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
            Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

"A soldier has no control over the weather. It is what it is and he is there."

Yup, I definitely agree. If it rains it rains. If it snows it snows. If I get hit by bayou mud balls by the Bayou Yeti then I get hit by bayou mud balls by the Bayou Yeti.
              Last edited by Coatsy; 03-08-2009, 12:30 AM.
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

Jay ,
                I see your point of view. I for one have had a great time at events after I had been rounded up and marched to the rear. However some folks may look at it different...I see what you were aimed at.

Lets do it!!!!!
                leaving around 9 a.m. :)
                Kiev Thomason
                a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
                WIG
                Armory Guards
                Forest Park Lodge #399
                Forest Park GA.

Comment

Working...
                X