Re: IPW Roll Call

Cody Mobley
    started as 2nd Sgt, Co. F 28th LA....ended as Sgt. Major 28th LA
    Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
    Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Barb McCreary with assumed name of Bertie Hyde Thetford and part of the civilian cart crew.
      [FONT=Book Antiqua][/FONT][COLOR=Navy]Barb McCreary (also known as Bertie)
      Herbal Folk Healer, Weaver and Maker of Fine Lye Soap[/COLOR]
      [url]www.winstontown.com[/url]

Comment

I'll post mine in a little bit, but Will Tatum took on Quartermaster Sergeant William Smouse, and as a composite role he was also representing Johathan H. Maxon, Commissary Sergeant. Yes, a two fer one opportunity. While not part of this particular event, the 10th Iowa also had a Maxon from Cedar County as a Commissary Sergeant, and I wonder if they were somehow related.

The info for William Smouse, as provided by Don Cope, is as follows:

On August 13, 1862, at the age of 29, William enlisted in the 24th Iowa Volunteer Infantry Regiment to fight for the Union, and on September 3, 1862, he mustered in at Muscatine, Iowa as 4th Corporal. On June 1, 1863, he was promoted to Quartermaster Sergeant
        You can find the expanded version of that blurb here:

His brother is also mentioned. The period connection with Will and I spending time with the Teamsters and William Smouse's brother being a wagoner is not lost on me. James was only 45 when he died. That info is located here:

William was born in Pennsylvania. Bedford County, PA, is not far from where I live, and I go through there often enough. The modern tourist attraction known as "Old Bedford Village" may provide a glimpse into what life was like when William was very young.

The brothers were both harness makers, among other things. Will took a small leather repair kit with him, and made several minor repairs to gear along the way. This field repair work, in some fashion, is kind of a nice little tribute to the real life work of William and James Smouse.
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

While under different names in different places, I am always, at the root, portraying Sarah McGirth, born on the Tensaw in Alabama, long before it was a state. She is not mentioned by name in the account below, but other sources list her as one of the children in this account, making that long walk with her brothers and sisters.

Sarah was known to be 1/4 Creek. My own claim to that line is somewhere between a 1/4 and 1/8 depending on how the contributions of converging lines of mixed Creek and Cherokee ancestry are calculated. With age, I have noted that the physical signs of this heritage are far more marked.

HISTORY of ALABAMA AND INCIDENTALLY OF GEORGIA AND MISSISSIPPI,
          FROM THE EARLIEST PERIOD
          . BY Albert James Pickett 1851
          (with thanks to my friend Curtis, and all his friends who did the laborius transcription to make this volume available on line)

Zachariah McGirth was the son of James McGirth, who was, as we have seen, an unprincipled but brave man, and a captain of a company of tories during the revolutionary war, called the "Florida Rangers," forming a part of a battalion commanded by his brother, Colonel Daniel McGirth. When the war terminated Captain James McGirth fled to the Creek nation, with his children, among whom was Zachariah. The latter married a half-breed Creek woman, named Vicey Curnells, had become wealthy, and was now an inmate of Fort Mims with his wife and eight children. About ten o'clock on the day of the massacre McGirth entered a boat with two of his negroes, and went out of Lake Tensaw into the Alabama, with the view of ascending that river to his plantation, which was situated below Claiborne, for some provisions. Reaching the Cut Off he heard a heavy discharge of guns at Fort Mims. With pain and anxiety he continued to listen to the firing, and running his boat a mile down the river, in a small bayou, resolved to remain there, being firmly impressed with the belief that the Indians had attacked the fort. Late in the evening the firing ceased, and presently he saw clouds of black smoke rise above the forest trees, which was succeeded by flames. The unhappy McGirth now well knew that all was lost, and that in all probability his family had perished in the flames. Being a bold man, like his father, he resolved to go through the swamp with his negroes to the fatal spot. When he came within a quarter of a mile of the fort he placed the negroes in a concealed place, and approached alone. All was gloomy and horrible. Dogs in great numbers ran all over the woods, terrified beyond measure. Seeing that the savages had left the ruins. he returned for his negroes, and a little after twilight cautiously advanced. McGirth stood aghast at the horrible spectacle. Bodies lay in piles, in the sleep of death, bleeding, scalped, mutilated. His eyes everywhere fell upon forms half burned up, but still cracking and frying upon the glowing coals. In vain did he and his faithful slaves seek for the bodies of his family. Pile after pile was turned over, but no discovery could be made, for the features of but few could be recognized. He turned his back upon the bloody place, crossed the swamp to his boat, and paddled down the Alabama to Mount Vernon with a sad and heavy heart.

McGirth, now alone in the world, became a desperate man, ready to brave the greatest dangers for the sake of revenge. During the Creek war he was often employed in riding expresses from the Tombigby to Georgia, when no one else could be found daring enough to go through the heart of the enemy's country. After a long service amid such dangers, a friend accosted him one day in Mobile, and told him some people desired to see him at the wharf. Repairing there, he saw---a common sight in those days--some wretched Indians, who had been captured. He was asked if he knew them. Hesitating, his wife and seven children advanced and embraced him. A torrent of joy and profound astonishment overwhelmed him. He trembled like a leaf, and was, for some minutes, speechless.

Many years before the dreadful massacre at Fort Mims, a little hungry Indian boy, named Sanota--an orphan, houseless and friendless -- stopped at the house of Vicey McGirth. She fed and clothed him, and he grew to athletic manhood. He joined the war party, and formed one of the expedition against Fort Mims. Like the other warriors, he was engaged in hewing and hacking the females to pieces, towards the close of the massacre, when he suddenly came upon Mrs. McGirth and his foster-sisters. Pity and gratitude taking possession of his heart, he thrust them in a corner, and nobly made his broad savage breast a rampart for their protection. The next day he carried them off upon horses, towards the Coosa, under the presence that he had reserved them from death for his slaves. Arriving at his home, he sheltered them, hunted for them, and protected them from Indian brutality. One day he told his adopted mother that he was going to fight Jackson, at the Horse-Shoe, and that, if he should be killed, she must endeavor to reach her friends below. Sure enough, the noble Sanota soon lay among the slain at Cholocco Litebixee. Mrs. McGirth, now being without a protector, and in a hostile region, started off on foot, with her children, for Fort Claiborne. After much suffering, they reached their deserted farm, below Claiborne, where Major Blue, at the head of a company of horse, discovered these miserable objects and carried them to Mobile, where the interview just related took place with the astonished husband, who imagined that he had some months before surveyed their half-burnt bodies upon the field of Fort Mims. His son was the only member of his family who had perished upon that bloody occasion.*
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

As mentioned earlier, I said I would post a little bit about the fellows for my impression.

The first one was mustered 18 September 1862. He was already deceased before the Red River Campaign of 1864, and had been appointed Quartermaster Aug. 12, 1862.. His name was Luke Baldwin, Jr., and he died in Helena, Ark., at the young age of 34 by disease March 1, 1863, Helena, Ark." His place of birth (I like the way the Iowans use "nativity" for this) was Massachusetts, and he shows up on pages 807-808 of "The Pickering Genealogy," as it relates to families in the Salem, Mass., area.

The other fellow was mustered on 28 August 1862. He was Albert B. Eshleman (sometimes spelled Eshelman), who was appointed Quartermaster Sergeant from Company E, Sept. 12, 1862. He was promoted to Quartermaster from QM Sergeant on 15 July 1863 following the death of Luke Baldwin. One source gives his promotion to QM was of 2 March 1863, so flip a coin.

By the time of the Red River Campaign, he was a 1st Lt. Albert was born in the Lancaster County area of Pennsylvania. That made both Will and I a pair of Keystone staters, which was interesting in itself. One document states Albert arrived in Marengo in the early 1860s. After the war, Albert, who also went by "A.B.," went to California for a while, married a NY gal (perhaps Louise Nicholas from the NYC /Peapack NJarea) and began having children in 1868. He lived in Marengo in Iowa County, and was clerk of court for a while. His father in law was a lawyer, which may explain his route to becoming clerk of court, and at some point this brothers and sisters in law did move to Marengo. I suspect he is buried in Marengo, and he has a nice headstone. Most of this is put together from bits and pieces of family tree type websites, and may or may not be too accurate.

Later in the war, the 24th Iowa visited the Shenandoah Valley. We had Indiana regiments in this area, but Iowa regiments were a little more rare. On 13 July 1864, the 24th Iowa went to New Orleans, and boarded a steamer for DC. They participated in some of the smaller battles in the 1864 Shenandoah Valley Campaign, as well as the 19 September 1864 Battle of Winchester, and Cedar Creek in October. Mustered out 17 July 1865, in Savannah, Georgia.

Winchester is less than an hour from where I live, and Cedar Creek is just over an hour away. Less if my wife drives. I think of the distance between here and Kisatchie, and realize it is a long, long, ways by motor vehicle, and the trip by steamer and on foot took a lot more time. The 24th didn't finish up the war in the Shenandoah Valley, but joined up with Sherman's long stroll with two other Iowa regiments as a rear guard brigade.

Eshelman Albert B came in early 60's to Marengo. Quartermaster in the 24th IA Infantry, clerk of courts, and brief absence in CA, spent most of his life in Marengo.

That's all that I know. Just for fun, Bev and I visited Lancaster in February. We rode aboard a steam locomotive powered passenger train on a line that existed during Eshleman's time. He may have ridden that same railroad line. That's kind of cool.

I failed to add this to the blurb for Jonathan Maxon earlier:

"Jonathan H. Maxon. Age 43. Residence Mt. Vernon, nativity New York. Appointed Commissary Sergeant from Company D. Died of disease March 1, 1863, St. Louis, Mo. Buried in Christ Church Cemetery, St. Louis, Mo."
            To add to the info beyond Red River, this is from the 1864 Shenandoah Campaign:

The Twenty-fourth Iowa was now about to enter upon an entirely new field of warfare, in which but few of the regiments from its own State had been called to serve, On the 4th of August it was conveyed by rail to Harper's Ferry, where it arrived at midnigh t and moved out on the Winchester Pike and went into bivouac. On July 6th the regiment commenced a series of movements in connection with the army; first marching to Halltown, to intercept the army of 30,000 rebels, under the command of General Early, whi ch was moving towards Maryland and Pennsylvania; but the rebel general was not yet ready for a general engagement, and, handling his force with consummate skill, managed to avoid a conflict. The Union force arrived at Cedar Creek, near Strasburg, Va., on August 12th , where it encamped
            and remained until the 15th, when it fell back to Charleston, where General Grover had just arrived with
            reinforcements from Washington, and a re-organization of the army took place. The Twenty-fourth Iowa was
            assigned to t he Fourth Brigade, Second Division, Nineteenth Army Corps, with Colonel Shunk, of the Eighth
            Indiana Veteran Infantry, commanding the brigade, General Grover commanding the division, and General
            Emory commanding the detachment of the Nineteenth Corps. The Army of the Shenandoah consisted of two
            divisions of the Nineteenth Corps, the Sixth Corps commanded by Major General Wright, the Army of Western
            Virginia commanded by General Crook and about 10,000 cavalry commanded by General Torbet, making in all an
            a rmy of about 40,000, under command of Major General Sheridan. On the 3d of September, General Sheridan
            began the series of movements which led up to the battle of Winchester, September 19. 1864. The part taken
            by the Twenty-fourth Iowa in that battle is described in the official report of Lieutenant Colonel Wright,
            as follows:

HEADQUARTERS TWENTY-FOURTH IOWA. INFANTRY VOLUNTEERS,
            CAMP RUSSELL, VA., NOV. 19, 1864.

COLONEL: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by the Twenty-fourth Regiment
            of Iowa infantry Volunteers in the battle of Opequon, or Winchester, Va., Sept. 19. 1864. The regiment
            was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel J. Q. Wilds, but circumstances beyond his control prevented him from
            making an official report, prior to the battle of Cedar Creek, at which place he was severely wounded, and
            has since died; for this reaso n I take the responsibility of making it myself. On the 18th of September,
            orders were issued from army headquarters, requiring all transportation to be sent to the rear, also all
            extra baggage, retaining only such articles as could not be dispensed with; these to be carried by the
            men, and officers' horses. Thus, stripped of everything that would encumber its movements, the Army of the
            Shenandoah retired to rest in camp near Berryville, Va., on the evening of the 18th with orders to be in
            line of battle ready to move at 2 o'clock next morning. The Twenty-fourth Iowa belonged to the Fourth
            Brigade, Second Division, Detachment Nineteenth Army Corps. The brigade consisting of the Eighth and
            Eighteenth Indiana Veteran Volunteers and the Twenty-fourth and Twe nty-eighth Iowa was commanded by
            Colonel D. Shunk of the Eighth Indiana, the division by Brigadier General C. Grover, the corps by Brevet
            Major General Emory. At 3 o'clock the advance sounded, and the Nineteenth Corps moved out on the
            Winchester Pike, hal ting about three miles west of Berryville, for the Sixth Corps, commanded by Major
            General Wright, to pass, as it was to have the advance. The Army of Western Virginia, under command of
            General Croc, moved by another road to the right. Shortly after sunri se, the Sixth Corps having passed,
            the Nineteenth Corps was put in motion. The Second Division, having the advance, arrived at Opequon Creek
            about 9 o'clock A. M., when heavy skirmishing and some cannonading was heard in the front, near
            Winchester. Here w e received orders to push forward rapidly, as the cavalry and Sixth Corps were already
            engaged. When we had reached a point about three miles from Winchester, we turned to the right and moved
            in the direction of the Winchester and Martinsburg Pike about o ne mile, and formed line of battle on the
            right of the Sixth Corps. The Second Division was formed in two lines. The First and Third Brigades formed
            the first line, and the Second and Fourth Brigades the second. The Twenty-fourth Iowa was on the left cent
            er. the Twenty-eighth Iowa on the left, Eighth Indiana on the right, Eighteenth Indiana on the right
            center, the Fourth Brigade being on the extreme right. Soon after, the First Division, Nineteenth Corps,
            commanded by General Dwight came up and formed in the rear as a reserve. In this position we remained
            until about 12 M., when the advance sounded and the whole line moved forward steadily. The front of the
            whole division was covered by a strip of woodland, near a third of a mile wide. Beyond this woodla nd was
            an open field about one-fourth of a mile wide, beyond which was woodland again. When the second line
            emerged into the open field, the first line was just entering the wood on the opposite side, having driven
            the enemy's skirmishers across the open field, and were driving the enemy. The enemy, discovering that our
            right flank was unprotected, threw a heavy column of infantry, with one battery of artillery, around on
            our right, nearly at right angles with our lines, and kept them concealed in a deep hollow. In consequence
            of a flank fire from this column, the first line gave back and passed through the second, when about half
            way across the field. This created some confusion, but the line was soon in good shape again, and moving
            forward steadily. When within one hundred yards of the woods, the column that had been thrown around on
            our right opened out with musketry and canister shot, showering the iron hail along and almost parallel
            with our ranks and mowing down our men by the score. As soon as t he flank movement was discovered, the
            whole line was ordered to fall back to the woods, which was done in as good order as could be expected
            under the circumstances. The line was reformed and advanced about one fourth of the way across the field
            and halte d, holding the enemy at bay until some troops could be thrown around to our right, as the
            enemy's lines extended nearly half a mile to the right of ours. Up to this time the Twenty-fourth had had
            two officers mortally wounded, and two more severely: six e nlisted men killed, and about thirty wounded.
            This line was held under a most destructive artillery fire from both the front and right flank for about
            two hours, when General Crook came up with the Army of Western Virginia and formed on the right, relievi
            ng the most of the Fourth Brigade. Captains Rigby, Smith and Martin, with Lieutenant Lucas, had been
            posted with their commands in a point of timber nearest the enemy, with orders to hold it at all hazards,
            and were not relieved. I had supplied them with ammunition, and when the fresh troops in making the final
            charge came up even with them, they moved forward with the line, which drove the enemy from every position
            taken until it became a perfect rout. In this last charge the Twenty-fourth lost a number of brave
            soldiers wounded, and one killed. After the Fourth Brigade was relieved (except as above mentioned) boxes
            were filled with ammunition, and it was moved to the extreme right in order to prevent any more flank
            movements of the enemy, but General Av erill, coming in with his cavalry, rendered the movement entirely
            unnecessary. After the enemy was entirely routed and driven pell-mell from the field, the regiment was got
            together, and marched about two miles, and went into camp near Winchester, on the Front Royal Pike.
            Casualties during the day: Officers mortally wounded 2, severely, 4. Enlisted men killed, 9; wounded, 56;
            captured, 3. Total 74; a list of which is hereto appended. I cannot close this report without referring to
            Captain J. R. Gould, of Company D, and Lieutenant S. S. Dillman, of Company E, both having been mortally
            wounded while leading their men on in the hottest of the battle. Both were brave almost to rashness. In
            them the Twenty-fourth Iowa lost two valuable officers and society two
            valuable men.
            1 have the honor to be, most respectfully,
            Your Obedient Servant,
            ED WRIGHT,
            Lieutenant Colonel Twenty-fourth Regiment Iowa Infantry Volunteers.
            COL. N. B. BAKER, Adjutant General of Iowa

It will be seen from the foregoing report that the Twenty-fourth Iowa had, in its first battle in the
            east, gloriously maintained its previous proud record, and had upheld the honor of its State while
            fighting beside the trained veterans of the Army of th e Potomac. On the night of the 19th of September
            the regiment went into camp near Winchester. The next morning it marched towards Cedar Creek, and in the
            evening found the enemy strongly entrenched at Fisher's Hill. The Twenty-fourth Iowa actively participated
            in th e movements which followed and which culminated in the battle of Fisher's Hill, in which, and in the
            pursuit which followed, the regiment participated, but fortunately-owing to the positions to which its
            brigade was assigned-it had but one officer and fou r men wounded. Lieutenant Colonel Wright, in his
            official report, describes minutely the part taken by his regiment in the battle of Fisher's Hill, and
            highly commends the officers and men for their prompt obedience to orders and the gallant manner in whi ch
            they conducted themselves during the battle and the subsequent pursuit of the enemy. The rebel General
            Early and his army had again been defeated and compelled to retreat up the Shenandoah valley. In all the
            operations of its brigade and division, from the 23d of September until the 19th of October, upon which
            latter date the Twenty-fourth Iowa fought its last battle, the regiment performed its full share of duty
            and always acquitted itself with ho nor. Although it remained in the service for nearly six months after
            the battle of Cedar Creek, the remainder of its history, while characterized by the same faithful devotion
            to duty, was not marked by further severe conflict with the enemy. The compiler deems it most fitting,
            therefore, that the conduct of the regiment in the memorable battle of Cedar Creek, as portrayed in the
            official report of its gallant commander, should occupy' the greater portion of the space left at his
            report is here given in full:

HEADQUARTERS TWENTY-FOURTH IOWA INFANTRY VOLUNTEERS,
            CAMP RUSSELL, VA., Nov. 19, 1864.
            COLONEL: I have the honor to submit
            the following report of the part taken by the Twenty-fourth Regiment Iowa Infantry Volunteers in the
            battle of Cedar Creek, Va., on the 19th of October. 1864. The regiment belonged to the Fourth Brigade,
            Second Division. Nineteenth Army Corps, Brevet Major General Emory commanding corps, Brigadier General
            Grover commanding division, and Colonel Shunk, Eighth Indiana Veteran Volunteers, commanding brigad e. The
            brigade occupied the left of the second line, which was about two hundred paces in rear of the line of
            works occupied by the first line. The left of the brigade rested about two hundred yards to the right of
            the pike leading from Winchester to Stan ton. The works in our front were occupied by the Third Brigade,
            Second Division, Nineteenth Army Corps with Battery D, First Rhode Island Artillery, near the pike on the
            left. The regiment occupied the right center of the brigade, with the Twenty-eighth I owa on the left. The
            Eighth Corps, under command of Major General Crook, was posted on the left of the pike, and about three
            hundred paces to the front. The Sixth Corps was on the right of the Nineteenth, with its right thrown back
            toward Middletown, abou t one mile. Our teams parked about one mile In the rear. The enemy was in camp at
            Fisher's Hill, some four miles to the front. In this position we rested on the evening of the 18th, not
            even suspecting our danger, or the Yankee trick that Early was going to play on us the next morning. Soon
            after retiring to bed, Colonel Wilds, then in command of the regiment, received orders to have the men
            under arms at precisely 5 o'clock next morning, as the first line was to make a reconnaissance to the
            front, and the Fourth Brigade was to move up to the works as soon as vacated. In obedience to this order,
            at 6 o'clock the regiment was in line of battle, and really to move to the works. Having reason to believe
            that the reconnaissance would not last more than one or two hours, as the order was no t to bring on an
            engagement, everything except, arms and accouterments were left in tents. At ten minutes past 5 o'clock,
            firing commenced on the picket line of the EighthCorps. Supposing it to be only a reconnaissance by the
            enemy, it created but little alarm. In a few minutes heavy firing commenced on the left and front of the
            Eighth Corps. It was not yet daylight, and a dense fog, which had settled to the ground, rendered it
            almost impossible to distinguish objects at any distance. Soon after the firin g commenced on the left,
            the brigade was ordered to move by the left flank, until the left of the Twenty-fourth Iowa rested on the
            pike. Colonel Wild's ordered me to ride to the left of the regiment, and to lead it to the place
            indicated, but, before reac hing the pike, I was ordered to halt and take position, as we were already
            receiving the enemy's fire. The regiment was halted, and the right thrown forward so as to form a line
            across the crest of the hill, at an angle of forty-five degrees with the pike . The right of the brigade,
            Eighteenth Indiana Veteran Volunteers, supporting the battery on the left of the first line. The fog was
            so dense that it was impossible to tell what was in front of us, and, as the Eighth Corps was failing back
            at the time, ou r fire was reserved until the enemy had pressed his columns close up to and charged the
            battery on the right, one piece of which was captured. We held the position, however, until Colonel Shunk,
            discovering that the enemy had thrown a column across the pi ke on our left, ordered the brigade to fall
            back about five hundred yards, and take position parallel to and facing the pike. This was done in good
            order, and the position taken and held, until it became necessary, in the opinion of General Grover, to
            fal l back, in order to prevent being cut off entirely. (Up to this time the regiment had lost six men
            killed and about forty wounded.) The order was given to fall back as rapidly as possible in the direction
            of the camp of the Sixth Corps. The enemy came in heavy force on our left and captured four officers and
            about forty men. The brigade fell back about one mile and formed between the First Brigade, General Birge,
            and the Sixth Corps, which was on the left. Previous to this time, Colonel Wilds had been wounded and
            carried from the field. I had also received a bruise on my hip from a piece of shell and a wound from a
            musket ball in the left arm near the elbow, which sickened me so that I could not ride for ne ar an hour,
            and the regiment was commanded by Captain L. Clark, during my absence. Soon after I returned to the
            regiment, which was then in the position above mentioned, the enemy made a flank movement to the left of
            the Sixth Corps, rendering it necessar y for it to fall back, and we were ordered to retire by the right
            of regiments to the rear. We moved in this manner nearly three mile, halted, took position, procured
            ammunition and prepared to renew the battle. After we had rested about half an hour, Maj or General
            Sheridan came on the field, having been absent since the morning of the 18th . He ordered the Eighth Corps
            to take position on the left of the pike between Middletown and Newtown, the Sixth Corps the center, and
            the Nineteenth Corps the right. Sent two divisions of cavalry to the right, and one to the left. The
            Fourth Brigade was formed on the extreme left of the Nineteenth Corps, connecting with the right of the
            Sixth Corps. In this position the troops were ordered to rest, and throw up some t emporary works. About
            12 O'clock I was ordered to move the Twenty-fourth Iowa to the extreme right of the Nineteenth Corps, and
            protect the flank, I immediately moved to the place indicated, took position and threw out a skirmish
            line. In this position I remained until 3 o'clock P. M., when I received orders to call in my skirmishers
            and take my place in the line, as it was going to advance. My skirmishers had just reported when the
            advance was sounded. In order to get my position in the line, I had to double quick about one mile, and,
            during the greater part of this distance, we had to pass through the fire of the enemy's guns, which
            overshot our advancing columns, the shells exploding in the rear. About 3 « o'clock, I got my place in the
            line, which, steadily advanced, driving the enemy from every position taken until we reached the camp we
            left in the morning. Here we halted and made some coffee, (those of us who were fortunate enough to have
            any,) the first we had tasted since the evening of the 18th . We found one w ounded officer there, who had
            hidden among the rocks during the day, and quite a number of our wounded men. Everything was taken from
            our camp, leaving the men and most of the officers without haversacks, blankets or shelter tents. At 8
            o'clock P. M., the regiment moved forward, with the brigade, to a point near Strasburg, to protect the
            parties that were sent out to collect the property abandoned by the enemy in his hasty retreat. There we
            bivouacked for the night, without fires, the men suffering severe ly for want of blankets and proper
            clothing to protect them from the excessive cold. On the following morning (20th) the remainder of the
            Second Division came up, and we went into camp about one mile from Strasburg. It would appear invidious
            to mention individual cases of gallantry, during the day, when all, both men and officers, did their whole
            duty. I cannot close, however, without referring to the bravery of our lamented Colonel Wilds, who was
            wounded soon after daylight and died November 18th . In him we lost a noble, brave and efficient officer.
            Captain Knott and Lieutenant Kurtz were wounded and captured, but both were retaken in the evening.
            Captain Smith, and Lieutenant Davis, were captured in the morning ab out daylight. The loss of the
            regiment was: Killed; enlisted men 7; Wounded; officers 6, enlisted men 39. Captured; officers 2, enlisted
            men 39. Total casualties 93; a list of which is hereto annexed. I have the honor to be, most
            respectfully,
            Your obedient servant,
            ED WRIGHT,
            Lieutenant Colonel Twenty-fourth Regiment Iowa Infantry Volunteers.
            H. B. BAKER, Adjutant General State of Iowa.

During the remainder of the mouth of October the regiment participated in the various movements of its
            brigade and division in the Shenandoah Valley, but did not again come into contact with any considerable
            force of the enemy. In the early part of Novemb er the regiment was engaged in the duty of escorting
            supply trains for the army. On the 8th of November, 1864, the officers and men of the regiment recorded
            their choice for President of the United States, with the following result: Whole number of votes cast,
            303, of which Abraham Lincoln received 285 and George B. McClellan 18. On November 10th the regiment
            arrived at Camp Russell, where the army of the Shenandoah was encamped, and during the remainder of the
            month was engaged in the erection of fortifi cations and building cabins for winter quarters. In December
            the winter quarters were completed, and the regiment was engaged in the performance of picket and escort
            duty until the close of the month. On December 30th the regiment was assigned to the post at Winchester,
            Va.
            The rest of the story:

On the 6th of January, 1865, the Twenty-fourth Iowa left Winchester and proceeded by rail to Baltimore, thence by steamship to Savannah, Ga., where it went into camp and remained for two months. It then moved to Morehead City, N. C., a nd, from that point, to Goldsboro and Raleigh, escorting transportation trains. After the surrender of the rebel General Johnston's army, it returned to Savannah, moved thence to Augusta, Ga. with the Twenty-second and Twenty-eighth Iowa, crossed the rive r at Augusta and went into camp near the town of Hamburg, S. C., where it remained until the 6th of June, when, with the other Iowa regiments, it was ordered to return to Savannah. Its last long march was completed on June 20th . The regiment then went in to camp at Savannah, where it remained until the 17th day of July, 1865, on which date it was mustered out of the service of the United States. A few days later it was provided with transportation to Davenport, Iowa, and, upon its arrival there, was disbanded, and the survivors returned to their homes, there to resume and discharge the duties of citizens, with the same fidelity they
            had shown as soldiers, while engaged in the defense of their country against armed treason and rebellion.

No Iowa regiment has a more distinguished record than the Twenty-fourth, and there were only a few others
            whose operations covered such a wide extent of territory. Everywhere, in camp or garrison, upon the march,
            in battle, and under all the vicissitudes of its long and ar duous service, it maintained in the highest
            degree the honor of the flag and its State. The archives of the State of Iowa end of the War Department at
            Washington contain no more glorious record of valor and patriot service than that of the Twenty-fourth
            Regiment of Iowa Infantry Volunteers.
            Much of the regimental information is located here: http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/24th.html

Some of my relatives likely took shots at these fellows in late 1864. I find it ironic to be representing one of them in 2009. The place called "Halltown" as mentioned above it only about 15 minutes from where I live. That is the place were Parham's Brigade retreated after the Battle of Crampton's Gap. I can see that gap in South Mountain from my front windows.

So far, and yet so near.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Pvt. Samuel Neidig, Co. F 24th Iowa.

Kevin Saville
              Olympia, WA

Comment

Working...
              X