Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Into the Piney Woods: Taylor Retreats Up the Red

All,

On behalf of the Texas Ground Hornets, Tom Yearby and I would like to formally announce THE campaigner event of 2009- "Into the Piney Woods: Taylor Retreats Up the Red."

The name for our event was lifted from the diary of Joseph P. Blessington, a stalwart of Walker's "Greyhound" Division, who reported that Taylor's retreating Confederates went "into the piney woods" with Banks' Federal army close behind them.

"Into the Piney Woods" will replicate the historic actions following the Confederate evacuation of Natchitoches, Louisiana up to the eve of the great battle at Mansfield. During this period the armies in blue and grey abandoned the road parralleling the Red River and entered a thick pine forest commonly referred to as "the howling wilderness."

For five days, from Tuesday March 10 through Saturday March 14, participants will live from their packs, perform the duties of a fighting man on campaign, and cover somewhere in the order of 6-8 miles each day.

This event is not for those who are weak in body or mind. This event is not for those "uber-kewls" who live on hype and internet reputation. The 200 "Iron Men of Kisatchie," veterans of Banks' Grand Retreat, can attest to this fact.

"Into the Piney Woods" is an event designed for those who want to experience soldiering for a period longer than the normal weekend event allows.

Many of the internal resources we'll depend on are already on-board. Those who remember our muleskinner Nathan and our ox-drover Gerry from Banks' Grand Retreat will be happy to know that both have agreed to embark upon this latest campaign in the Kisatchie woods. Our comrades from afar- the Lazy Jacks and friends from mainland Europe- are also enthusiastically recruiting.

Veterans of BGR who have longed for a similar experience should mark their calendars now. Those who opted not to attend BGR should not fail to miss a second such opportunity.

What we need are sturdy men, willing to bear a pack all day, stand picket at night, give battle when ordered, and subject yourself to the rigors of the march.

For any who are considering attending the NSA event in Jonesboro, Ark, that event concludes on Sunday March 8, allowing you the remainder of the 8th and all day on the 9th to come eight hours south to the Kisatchie Forest District.

Our website is on the way. We will post additional announcements when warranted.

Tom and I look forward to seeing many of you in Northwest Louisiana in the Spring of 2009!

Sixteen months and counting...

Respectfully,
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Re: Into the Piney Woods: Taylor Retreats Up the Red

Fred,

This is great! BGR was an outstanding event and I was hoping there would be more like it in the near future. You can definately count me in again for this one. See you in Louisiana with packs on and ready to march!

Ryan Protz
    Granville Mess
    Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

5 Days! Now we're talkin'. Between this, Bummers and some other things out there, 2009 should be a very good year indeed.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Like BGR and Oupost in 2007, you now have your 2009 campaigner bookends with Into the Piney Woods and Bummers.

This time the Yanks are chasing the Rebs - so payback for the boys in blue, if you can corner them ;)

I am honored to be asked to honcho the preservation effort again, and would entertain any and all ideas for the recipient of our efforts. BGR raised over $4300 for Fort DeRussy.

Thanks Tom and Fred for falling victim to event organizer Amnesia. I think the bandwagon will be full for this one. On to Shreveport!!!
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Now your talking!!! I had a great time and am already looking forward to this one. I hope we can pull the old S.A. platoon together again. I also hope you will be our guide again Fred!
          sigpic
          Grandad Wm. David Lee
          52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
          - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

Fantastic news!!!!!!!! The Lazy Jacks, our French friends and our comrades from Holland and Germany are being recruited as I write. BGR was an exceptional event; after the first 12 hours or so it wasn't re-enacting, it was real and worth every dollar spent and the thousands of miles travelled to be there. I strongly urge all who are commited to what we do and how we do it to enlist for this event. Based on our experiences at BGR, this promises to be a truly exceptional experience.
            Can't wait!!!!
            Patrick Reardon, The Lazy Jack Mess, UK

Comment

The gap year will now be a two year gap year. More schooling can wait. Let's do it.
              Sean Harla

Comment

After BGR, I'm in Fred. It will be nice to do some of the chasing this time. I cant wait.
                Cheers:D
                Terry Sorchy

Comment

If you attended BGR then you want to attend this one. If you missed BGR and wished you had not, then you want to attend this one. If you are just satisfied to pretend you are a soldier, then stay away from this one.
                  Tom Yearby
                  Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Calendar marked,after my time spent at BGR,there's no way I'm going to miss this one.
                    Forrest Peterson

Tater Mess
                    Tater Mess Social Orchestra
                    Missourah Shirkers

Comment

I'll see y'all in the Piney Woods. It will be a great to hear COL Aufmuth's bugle and whistle again.:)
                      Rick Biddle
                      Co. A 4th VA Stonewall Brigade
                      Co. A 15th TX Texas Ground Hornets

Minion of the Warlord

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over" - MG William T. Sherman

Comment

Originally posted by biddler165 View Post
                        I'll see y'all in the Piney Woods. It will be a great to hear COL Aufmuth's bugle and whistle again.:)
                        Let's not forget that funky hat of his:wink_smil.Sounds like another road trip is in order for 2009!
                        Ron Moen
                        Co.A, First Texas Infantry (Retired)
                        CWPT
                        E Clampus Vitus

Comment

Count me in.

Looking forward to another prolonged event!
                          Brian Hicks
                          Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Fred and Tom, Some folks never learn. But neither do I.
                            Count me in:D
                            Rob Murray

Comment

Fred-
                              We are just down the road a piece from ya-You know you can count us in.
                              John "Gianni" Shoptaw
                              Moss Back Mess
                              Tater Mess
                              1st Arkansas Battalion

Comment

Working...
                              X