Into the Piney Woods: Taylor Retreats Up the Red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Into the Piney Woods: Taylor Retreats Up the Red

I personally can't wait to drink that ol' Luciana crick dribble. Was that one pill or two for each canteen 1st Sergeant?
    Jon O'Harra
    Heartless Bastards Mess

Comment

Those of us who thought ahead brought the two pill system: one to purify and one to clear.
      Robert Carter
      69th NYSV, Co. A
      justrobnj@gmail.com
      www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

This may just be me, but I found the water to taste alright. Those pills left a cool, refreshing after-taste.
        Sean Harla

Comment

You're right - it's just you.:)
          Michael Comer
          one of the moderator guys

Comment

I could spend hours writing about all the GREAT moments at BGR but since water is the lateset here is one funny story. At least we found it funny.

While one Hairy Nation Boy, Jake Wickham, was on picket, these two boys(from another company) came down to fill canteens. Seems easy enough the only problem was that they were filling donwstream from where the oxen were watering! Needless to say Jake told these two to move upstream but they would not listen. Hope you like ox crap and piss!

I cannot wait until next year. I was talking to a Nation Boy who hasn't been around much the past few years. We talked about past events, Raymond '98, Wilson's Creek '91 and others. I told him that they all pale in comparison with BGR.

If you can get the time off next March do it!
            Nathan Hellwig
            AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
            "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Raising a Color Company

Guys,

Terry Sorchy, the Federal Commander, has asked me to form a Color Guard of (ideally) eight corporals for "Into the Piney Woods".

As members of the color guard, you will be excused from picket and fatigue duty, unless you so choose. Since you will not be firing your weapons, you won't have to worry about cleaning them, either.

You will, however, need to become familiar with the School of the Guides, which I have available in PDF format.

Drop me a line if you're interested.

Thanks,

Rob Carter
              Robert Carter
              69th NYSV, Co. A
              justrobnj@gmail.com
              www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

This sounds like such a great event. I truly wish I could attend. Only takes me a short drive to get there from shreveport. But.. Diabetes will prevent me from taking part. If there is anything I can do though, to help out, since I am close, please do not hesitate to ask. I would be honored to assist y'all in putting this together.

Ronnie - Shreveport
                Ronnie Hull
                Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
                Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
                Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
                2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
                Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

Ronnie,

We could use you in our truck-born logistics crew. The hope is folks would not see or need you, but you and others will be there in case someone needs assistance or for other event-related logistics that may come up.

At BGR we had one man handling this which for 99% of the time was good. We could have used more at a few points. For Into the Piney Woods we've already got 3 medivac/logistics folks who will be in separate vehicles leapfrogging the route but staying away from the path we are on. The internal service roads give us excellent interior lines of communication and movement which is another plus to this event site.

Ronnie, feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat more on this. My sense is that you'd be in a much more controlled environment and able to watch yourself better and you wouldn't be out on the trail humping a pack either.

Kind regards,
                  Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

BGR was physically challenging. Into the Piney Woods will be also. It would be better for people who have doubts about their ability to undergo the ordeal to join us in the effort in a support capacity rather than break down on the march. That said, most people can do it but being in top shape is important. As I said at the conclusion of BGR, it is easy for people to type the type but another thing to actually walk the walk.
                    Tom Yearby
                    Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

I'll be in touch. Will be glad to help in any way. I'm in good shape. I can hump it with the best of 'em, but, IF I had a medical problem, then its a real problem. I actually have problems with my sugar going TOO low when I'm active. That is the danger. So, that said, will be glad to help with logistics!!

Ronnie
                      Ronnie Hull
                      Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
                      Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
                      Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
                      2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
                      Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

Fred, after such a fun mainstream event like AHT with you, I'd love to make it. Unfortunately, Uncle Sam has plans for me in the real fightin' at the end of this and the first half of next year. I'm sure I'll miss a great campaigner event:cry_smile

pards,
                        [SIZE="3"][B]Chris Montague[/B][/SIZE]
                        Associate of the 10th Virginia Infantry/5th Wisconsin
                        Member of the Battalion of the Common Soldier

Golf Co, 2/23 Marines
                        Ar Ramadi/Al Fallujah, Iraq

Comment

Working...
                        X