Attention Resident's of Grey's Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attention Resident's of Grey's Summit

I reckon we don't care about harming anyone, unless they are Lincolnite soldiers, men wearing Union cockades, or anyone planning to make trouble for us. Make no mistake, we intend to cull out the home burners, thieves and murderers that made us go to War. All others will be safe in our presence.
    Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
    Terry Pratchett

Comment

"Make no mistake, we intend to cull out the home burners, thieves and murderers that made us go to War. All others will be safe in our presence. "

Wow we agree on something! Yes, we also intend to rid our state of those people mentioned above.
      Nathan Hellwig
      AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
      "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Sergeant Holler,
        Or should I say, Cousin Holler, I am certain the fair citizens of Gray Summit will greet you and your stout liberators with open arms and open doors and share all they have left with you after our departure. Dear Cousin, I will make certain that the payment you requested for the information regarding the loyalities of the good citizens of Gray Summit gets to you. Give my regards to your family and we will meet again some day when times are less stressful.
        Tom Yearby
        Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Boys, be careful messing with my town now. I was with the State Guard at the beginning of this conflict but I'm a sheriff now and am honor bound to protect this town and its citizens. Everybody be peaceable and we'll all get along just fine but I've got several pairs of shackles and a nasty hole to put you in if you cause too much of a ruckus. My patience grows thinner as I get older too I have found.

Don't try to push me boys - I'm too old to run and too stubborn to back down.
          Michael Comer
          one of the moderator guys

Comment

Cousin Commer,
            You know you ain't got a thing to worry about from me and my fellows. You know us too well to think otherwise.
            Tom Yearby
            Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Michael,

We have 45 good reasons why your authority will be obsolete once we enter town. Saying you fought for a rebel rag tag group does not help your authority status.

Mind what the captain says or you will be enjoying a short time in the guard house.

Holler
              Nathan Hellwig
              "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

As long as you wear that blue coat and are in Missouri your authority will never be just or absolute. Authority is derived from the people not because some dictator a thousand miles away says that you have it. Just remember not to go wandering off away from your "superior" numbers, else you may be found the next morning swinging from a tree.

L.S. Ross

Comment

Holler,

I've got the authority of the Governor and legislature of the State of Missouri behind me and I've got some connections with direct lines to Gen. Rosecrans in St. Louis. Last I checked, you boys are citizens of this state and you're in a Missouri volunteer unit. If your Captain, doesn't want to end up being cashiered and sitting behind the south end of a north bound mule, he will need to keep his men in check. And that could go for 1st Sgts. as well. And I may just have a few more friends I can call on if you and your boys try to destroy this town and harrass the citizens.

But for all involved: My shotgun is color blind; it will shoot at a man no matter what color he's wearing if he tries to push me too hard. Like I said, I'm too old to run and too stubborn to back down.
                  Michael Comer

Comment

Which governor?

Mike we will treat you with respect as long as you help us. We have a good number of men whose enlistments are just about out. Being this close to home most should be good. But we do have the reputation as being rather rowdy.
                    Nathan Hellwig

Comment

We shall see. My interest is the welfare of the town and its citizens. That's the oath I took and I stand by my word. I'm willing to work with folks if that final end is met.
                      Michael Comer

Comment

I am a staunch and outspoken supporter of the Union and a veteran of the European War. I know the Sheriff well, and he is known by me to be an honorable man.

He can count on the good citizens of the town, like myself, to guard his back from ruffians, regardless of the uniform they wear. I also am too old to run, and too stubborn to allow anyone to run roughshod over the good citizens of the town.

Respect for the law is everyone's business.
                        Ron Mueller
                        Illinois
                        New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
                        Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
                        Abraham Lincoln

Comment

When I used to live in Kentucky and work across the border in Ohio, I had to do business with both federal marshalls and county sheriffs. I found out the hard way that they don't necessarily see eye to eye, or even interpret the same laws the same way. Then you add a mob of citizens who want to do what they want, and outnumber them both...

Just saying, when there's federal law, state law, and citizens, it ain't as simple as it sounds, and that was before the war even started. There's always going to be somebody on the other side, so the best you can do is choose what you think is right, and do it.

Gil Anderson, miller, Gray Summit

________
                          Hank Trent
                          hanktrent@gmail.com
                          Hank Trent

Comment

Not to mention the strong sentiment from before the war when Kansas was in such a turmoil. As an Inn keeper in Gray Summit I have seen all types pass through here in the last 4 years. Be it State, Federal, or County law we all have our plates full. Between partisans, rebels, rogue yanks and just plain uncivilized folk the County has seen better times.
                            I pray for the day to come when I can go across town to the store without having to worry about arming myself in some way. The Marshall does a Bully job but alas he is but one man. I fear for his life also.
                            But we must carry on and live day by day.
                            Your Servant
                            James A. Smith Jr.
                            Terry Sorchy

Comment

Well, if they just come a ridin' into town and shoot the good sheriff, I'm not going to make you-all dig two holes. I know when to hold them, and know when to fold them... :D
                              Ron Mueller
                              Illinois
                              New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
                              Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
                              Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Thanks Ron, that makes me feel much better.
                                Michael Comer

Comment

Working...
                                X