Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shooting the parson

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
    Women on a jury...next thing you'll be wanting the vote!
    Off-topic trivia: Check out the list of grand jurors at an 1865 session of the circuit court in Kentucky here, including "Miss Elizabeth Garr." Kentucky law said jurors needed to be "house-keepers," so apparently a woman who was head of household could serve.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com
    Hank Trent

Comment

My goodness! What's this world coming to?
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

On last count, there ain't enough men left alive in Gray Summit to form a jury and we all know women ain't ever going to be allowed to serve on juries or vote, so I say all this talk about a trial for a fellow is a waste of time. If all he did was shoot a preacher, I'd say give him a medal and promote him.

Looking to the future, I'd say things aren't going to turn out real well for Confederates, and thus thinking, as always, of my own survival and that of my boys, for a pardon and a price we could possibly render service to the US by killing injuns out west. I hear that in that endeavor we would not have to limit our slaughter to just the males. Just a thought.
        Tom Yearby
        Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

As a witness to the dasterdly deed, I will be there to testify. I heard the preachers sermon and he didn't announce his support of Jeff Davis. He only announced the day of prayer which was declared ;by the Confederate President. Being a state that is both Union and Confederate it seem only right to let his parisiners know of the proclimation.
          As I watched the preacher being hauled away, calling for help.I decided then and there that my leanings to the Union cause were for naught!! After that sort of behavior it became obvious that neither side cared for the support of our local citizens. As I ran to the back of the mill to check on the preachers condition the soldiers began to prepar to leave. While two other ladies began to care for the preacher I walked to the edge of the green to see what the soldiers were doing and overheard the commander repremending his men for "shooting the preacher"! There's no doubt in my mind that this deed occurred because of the lack of control and discipline officers had over their men.!~ Thank the Good Lord our preacher survived and was able to get to the back of the store and out of danger.

Our little village has always been a law abiding and God fearing little town until both sides of this dispute came to our doorstep. It is those that came into our town as strangers that are the lawless scoundrals...not the fine citizens.

Mrs.Grace Engledew, Owner of the Engledew House
          Boarding for fine ladies of culture

Comment

It is a shame the parson was shot for mentioning Jeff Davis's proclamation for prayer. Many men have been killed for lessor offenses, like being related to Confederate soldiers or warning their neighbors to hide from invading Jayhawkers and Federal soldiers. In this War, not choosing sides has been demonstrated to be the worst decision, time and time again.

When us "ruffians" arrived in town on Friday, we were not well received, yet we found out later that outlaws who insulted us and threatened us got food and even entertainment. We heard that citizens loyal to the Union would be wearing cockades to identify themselves and welcome the soldiers of abolition while we were fighting these invaders, sleeping on the cold hard ground and eating slave food.

A lot of men died last week. The parson was lucky. We are intrigued that no one in Gray Summit is calling to protest the dispatching of the men and torching of the grist mill.

Jack Gardner
            Confederate Bushwhacking Department
            Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
            Terry Pratchett

Comment

... referring to old Jeff Davis as "President" of anything is in fact a secessionist statement, in and of itself. :wink_smil
              Arch Campbell
              Hairy Nation
              Loyal Union League
              Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

“David "Hog Sh*t" Cravens is set to stand trial May 14-16,2010. Look for word coming very soon. We are working on the details...”

Since I have read this I keep thinking how great it would be to go back and continue this event in some fashion. I am already anxiously awaiting more information.

I know that the 21st MO was Mobile Alabama in May 1865 so perhaps some men get a furlough or orders to go and testify. Much of the company was mustered out in April 1866. However, I see quite a few who were mustered out in Dec 1864 for enlistment termination. Plus others at other various times and reasons.

Perhaps this finally gives me a solid reason to complete a civilian kit. I should be getting mustered out in December and I am willing to make the 200 mile journey from Scotland County to Gray Summit to defend a man in my former company during his day in court. With a pistol in my waist belt…just in case.

See, already I can not wait for details and planning!
                Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                Civil War Digital Digest
                Sally Port Mess

Comment

Originally posted by pvt_jb View Post
                  “David "Hog Sh*t" Cravens is set to stand trial May 14-16,2010. Look for word coming very soon. We are working on the details...”

Gray Summit to defend a man in my former company during his day in court. With a pistol in my waist belt…just in case.

See, already I can not wait for details and planning!
                  Hog's comrades will be there, armed to the teeth, and if you think the bunch in
                  front of the church was surly and determined, you best be ready for us!
                  Your most obedient servant and comrade,
                  James C. Schumann
                  Mess #3
                  Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by Auld Pelty View Post
                    We are intrigued that no one in Gray Summit is calling to protest the dispatching of the men and torching of the grist mill. Jack Gardner
                    I'd love to bring up a suit for the wrongful death of Mr. Anderson and the loss of my mill, but I'm not going to. Mr. Anderson was assisting you boys when you first came into town on Sunday morning, just ask your boys who were at the tavern. We answered all their questions honestly. It's easy to put a price on crops, livestock, buildings, but how does one put a price on the loss of a loved one?

Mrs. Anderson is tired of Missouri (raids on Patterson 61-63, and on Gray Summit in 64), and she refuses to ever set foot in that state again. Her oldest son came and took her home to Kentucky, along with the remains of Mr. Anderson.

Her two youngest sons received her blessing to join the ranks of the Union army, and they have a special bullet with the name "Preacher" on it. :angry_smi The whole reason she wasn't in church on Sunday was because her feelings were too strongly centered on the Old Testament, "an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth" (funny, at that time it was against the US troops, now that's changed). If she can find a way, she'll seek vengence. After all, she actually saw you boys near her farm in Patterson no doubt you all destroyed her home then, too.

Angered? Frustrated? You bet she is. Afraid? No. What does she have left to lose?

By the way, when I say Mrs. Anderson won't be setting foot in Missouri ever again, that doesn't mean that Linda Trent won't. In fact, we're considering attending in the spring as entirely different people. Have I said that this was a great event? :tounge_sm

Linda.
                    Last edited by LindaTrent; 10-08-2009, 12:24 AM. Reason: clarify my post
                    Linda Trent
                    [email]linda_trent@att.net[/email]

“It ain’t what you know that gets you into trouble.
                    It’s what you know that just ain’t so.” Mark Twain.

Comment

There's a lot of talk about getting justice for the Parson getting shot. How about justice for the 10 of us in the mill. Fortuantely most of us survived by breaking through the back and slipping off into the bean field. We will be around in May 1865 to testify to that. ol Tom "Preacher" needs to be held accountable for his actions. "Hog" attempted murder, "Preacher" accomplished it!!!! Guess I'll need to bring two ropes!!
                      Dan Hill
                      New Madrid Guards
                      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Marmaduke's Raid 2008
                      Lost Tribes 2009
                      Bummers 2009
                      Twin Rivers - Co A. 44th Indiana - 2010
                      Camp Jackson - 2011
                      Morning Sun - 2012
                      Vicksburg is the Key - 1st-4th Consolidated Missouri Inf. - 2013
                      Chickamauga 150 - 2013
                      Tennessee on the Brink - 2014
                      Pilot Knob - 14th MO CS - 2014
                      Franklin - Co. A 44th Missouri Inf. US - 2014
                      Helena - 33rd Missouri US - 2015
                      Fort Blakeley - 2017
                      Corinth Living History - 6th Missouri Infantry- 2018
                      The Assault on Fort Blakeley - 1st/3rd MO Dismounted Inf. - 2019
                      Missouri 1861 - MMFF - 2019

Comment

I have never seen men shot full of buckshot break through anything! As for trying a Federal soldier in a civilian court, it won't happen! I am not a Union man, but I know the fellow you all call Hog as a worthy opponent, and any attempt to try him will certainly bring further retributions on the remaining citizens of Gray Summit.
                        Tom Yearby
                        Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Working...
                        X