The Attempted Murder of Preacher Unkle Beau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Attempted Murder of Preacher Unkle Beau

Herb Coats is also going to be on trial for war crimes. For his role in Georgia 1864.
    Nathan Hellwig
    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Nation Boys View Post
      Just a reminder this is not going to be a bang bang so leave the weapons at home.
      But what if there is a scurilous verdict?! Weapons may be required to spirit Hog from
      the premises . . . I do not think I would trust to the justice to be found in a town that
      has seen so much slaughter at the hands of miscreants and ruffians. Why, Hog is
      as an Angel compared to these! Simply serving the cause of Union!!
      (Mr. Gerow, you can use any of this, if you so desire, at time of trial.)
      Your most obedient servant and comrade,
      James C. Schumann
      Mess #3
      Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Well, I can tell you two things about that: first, we may need to conscript some of you fellows for the jury, since we may not have quite enough male residents to fill a 12-man jury. So you may have some say over the verdict.

Second, we have a forceful Sheriff who will almost certainly confiscate weapons for safekeeping during the trail.

You could certainly visit your friend in prison and bring him food, decent clothing for the trial, letters from his Mother, and a Bible.
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
        [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
        [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Comment

Jim, You saw what I did to DD. I don't need any weapons.
          Nathan Hellwig
          AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
          "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

I don't think Hog can read, so the latter two items are moot points. Three good twists might do the trick though, as long as they aren't twists of the rope.
            Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
            My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Trying Times Indeed

In October 1864, a company of U. S. soldiers (21st Missouri) occupied the town for several days. On Sunday, October 4, 1864, the Reverend Beau Cope gave a fire-breathing sermon during which he referred to Confederate President Jefferson Davis. He was arrested after the church service and taken to the back of the grist mill. Shots rang out, and the Pastor was left for dead.

Oh my, what a troubling case.
              One suspects the defense will have a number of tools with which to work.
              F’rinstance:

1. Beau Cope, arrested for treasons talk on Oct. 4, 1864.
              Taken in flagrante delicto, spouting a seditious sermon?
              2. Was, while in custody of National troops, shot and wounded.
              Trying to escape while charged with a capital crime?
              3. Martial law was in effect; ain’t this a case for Army litigation?
              4. How’s this a matter for a County Court to involve itself?
              (see #3)

This looks t’be a delightful exercise in “being there.”
              Truly wish I could be there m’self.

Hargis, G., 5 A-1
              Glen E. Hargis
              Rackensacker Mess
              Co. A, First U.S. Infantry (faux)

Comment

Kind of interesting that one yankee who may or may not have shot a preacher, is put on trial, while the partisans that herded a dozen citizens into the grist mill, shot them and burned their bodies while their families watched, go unmolested. Seems the remaining citizen of the town must have survived because they were pro-Southern, or lucky, and it will be impossible for that yankee fellow to get a fair trial.
                Tom Yearby
                Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

There was never a declaration of martial law that I am aware of - just a bunch of Yankees in town. And, the accused is no longer in the service of the Army. Therefore, it should be a case for the civilian courts I would think and will be tried under the direction of a duly elected judge representing the best interests of the State of Missouri.
                  Michael Comer
                  one of the moderator guys

Comment

SO who is the judge now????
                    Rod Miller
                    [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                    A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                    1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                    1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                    1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                    1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                    Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                    1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                    Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Tom is the judge. That is another reason why he believes the yankee will be convicted.
                      Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
                      Terry Pratchett

Comment

I have proudly taken the "deputy" possition for this event.
                        Kyle (Cuffie) Pretzl
                        The Tater Mess

Comment

HARPER'S WEEKLY
                          SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 1861.
                          THE BEGINNING OF THE END.
                          ON Saturday, 31st August, Major-General Fremont, commanding at St. Louis, Missouri, issued a proclamation placing the whole State of Missouri under martial law ...
                          Glen E. Hargis
                          Rackensacker Mess

Comment

Oh, and here's the text of what I believe is styled "Order #11"

Martial Law Throughout Missouri
                            John C. Fremont

Headquarters of the Western Department
                            St. Louis, August 30, 1861.
                            Circumstances, in my judgment, of sufficient urgency, render it necessary that the commanding general of this Department should assume the administrative powers of the State. Its disorganized condition, the helplessness of the civil authority, the total insecurity of life, and the devastation of property by bands of murderers and marauders, who infest nearly every county of the State, and avail themselves of the public misfortunes and the vicinity of a hostile force to gratify private and neighborhood vengeance, and who find an enemy wherever they find plunder, finally demand the severest measures to repress the daily increasing crimes and outrages which are driving off the inhabitants and ruining the State.

In this condition, the public safety and the success of our arms require unity of purpose, without let or hinderance, to the prompt administration of affairs.

In order, therefore, to suppress disorder, to maintain as far as now practicable the public peace, and to give security and protection to the persons and property of loyal citizens, I do hereby extend and declare established Martial Law throughout the State of Missouri.

The lines of the Army of Occupation in this State are for the present declared to extend from Leavenworth by way of the posts of Jefferson City, Rolla, and Ironton, to Cape Girardeau, on the Mississippi River.

All persons who shall be taken with arms in their hands within these lines shall be tried by Court-Martial, and if found guilty will be shot.

The property, real and personal, of all persons, in the State of Missouri, who shall take up arms against the United States, or who shall be directly proven to have taken an active part with their enemies in the field, is declared to be confiscated to the public use, and their Slaves, if any they have, are hereby declared Free men.

All persons who shall be proven to have destroyed, after the publication of this order, railroad tracks, bridges, or telegraphs, shall suffer the extreme penalty of the law.

All persons engaged in Treasonable correspondence, in giving or procuring aid to the Enemies of the United States, in fomenting tumults, in disturbing the public tranquility by creating and circulating false reports or incendiary documents, are in their own interests warned that they are exposing themselves to sudden and severe punishment.

All persons who have been led away from their allegiance, are required to return to their homes forthwith; any such absence, without sufficient cause, will be held to be presumptive evidence against them.

The object of this declaration is to place in the hands of the Military authorities the power to give instantaneous effect to existing laws, and to supply such deficiencies as the conditions of War demand. But this is not intended to suspend the ordinary Tribunals of the Country, where the Law will be administered by Civil officers in the usual manner, and with their customary authority, while the same can be exercised.

The commanding general will labor vigilantly for the public Welfare, and in his efforts for their safety hopes to obtain not only the acquiescence, but the active support of the Loyal People of the Country.

J. C. FREMONT
                            Major-General Commanding.
                            Glen E. Hargis
                            Rackensacker Mess

Comment

Originally posted by Hargis, G. 5 A-1 View Post
                              HARPER'S WEEKLY
                              SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 1861.
                              THE BEGINNING OF THE END.
                              ON Saturday, 31st August, Major-General Fremont, commanding at St. Louis, Missouri, issued a proclamation placing the whole State of Missouri under martial law ...

Oh.. THAT martial law. I thought you meant that martial law had actually been declared at the event as part of the scenario.

It must be remembered that Fremont was fired pretty quickly after that and his own Emancipation Proclamation. Lincoln nixed the emancipation thing and ordered an easing up on the maritial law thing. So, 1861 is not necessarily a good comparison to 1864.

Well, martial law was around, but the way it was handled was very dependent on the commander of an area and it fluctuated as the war went on. The St. Louis area commanders were often rather ambivalent about how martial law was done in their area.

G.O. #33 issued in St. Louis on April 22,1863 said: "While we show them the severity of military power, we must not forget that it is our object to bring them back again to the relations enjoyed in past times, and all inflictions are only designed to subdue the rebellion."

Commanders were to be calm and exercise good judgment in differing between the good and bad folks in an area. Plus, there was a feeling among many Missourians including Governor Gamble that much of the problems in the state were being caused by the abuses of Federal troops and it was their actions that was causing a lot of the anti-Union feelings in the state.

So, really how effective would martial law have been in this instance? How would it have been implemented? Hard to tell. So one can't necessarilly say it should be a military tribunal handling the situation because much of this is up to the discretion and interpretation of the area commander.

As to the second post - that's not Order #11. It was issued by Thomas Ewing in 1863 and effected several counties that were hotbeds of guerilla activity in the western part of the state. So, Order #11 has no bearing on the Boonesfield area.
                              Michael Comer
                              one of the moderator guys

Comment

Originally posted by huntdaw View Post
                                Oh.. THAT martial law. I thought you meant that martial law had actually been declared at the event as part of the scenario.
                                What was that proclamation that the army read from the pulpit on Saturday? I know it included some specific rules, one of which was that the army couldn't quarter troops on private property without permission of the property owner, which is how I got the soldiers kicked out of the mill Saturday night.

It was some kind of legal proclamation; I thought it was an announcement of martial law. Yes, here we go; this is what Linda posted right after the event, and fits with my recollection.

Of course, I can't testify to any of that, since I'm dead now. :tounge_sm

Hank Trent
                                hanktrent@gmail.com
                                Hank Trent

Comment

Working...
                                X