Lost Tribes event images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Tribes event images

Steve Ingram has given me permission to link to his wonderful images. Please see the gallery on his web site.

For Doug Harding's Lost Tribes photographs, please check out his new Authentic Campaigner Social Group, entitled "In search of shadow catching."

Thanks to both artists for their contribution to the event.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Re: Lost Tribes event images

Those are wonderful.
    Sure wish I could have made it out west. Maybe another time.
    Cheers.
    Greg S Barnett
    Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
    ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Agreed the picture of the hanging was my favorite pretty unique image.
      Pards,

Jared Byrnes

Comment

While we were hiding out in the woods and running operations against the black republicans, the other bushwackers and feds were posing for pictures. Thats about right! Nice pictures.
        [SIZE="4"][FONT="Impact"]Jason Thibodeaux[/FONT][/SIZE]
        Independent Rifles
        Swamp Angels
        Pelican Civil War Lodge #1861

Comment

It is not a good idea for partisans and bushwhackers to have their tin type taken. I would like to see the burned grist mill. Nice job with the hanging.
          Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
          Terry Pratchett

Comment

In actuality, many Missouri Guerillas did in fact have their image taken. "Ego" was a very prominent characteristic.

When the Anders Band sat for their 'seated image', they were the only 'guns'/force in town and were busy casing and enjoying the fruits of the town. (Even though armed, they were kept for the most part under coats.) Although some knew our identities, and more had heard of us, most did not know who we were. We followed a different historically documented interpretation of the impresssion. And acutally, we were sitting for the seated image not long before the Federals came to town and not long before our acts left no doubt who we were.

More on all this on the AAR. I started it, but have had precious few moments to complete it.....
            Jay Stevens
            Tater Mess
            Independent Volunteers
            Iron Man Mess
            Reenactor Preservation Coalition
            Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
            Lost Tribes, October 2009
            Bummers, November 2009
            Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
            The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
            In the Van, August 2010
            Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

There's no shortage of images of MO partisan guerrillas, so they apparently had no compunction about having a potentially incriminating image made of themselves with pistols, etc. Nor did we!
              Granted, we heard the drum roll of the approaching Feds at the very moment we were sitting for the image. But our path of retreat was clear, and by that time we had already been all through the town, slept in it, ate in it and helped ourselves to what it had to offer.

We pretty much came and went as we desired, though at times we had to take the long route through the brush to get there. We laid low when we needed to, and we kept our pistols under our coats until it was time to use them. We did just about everything on our terms, just like we planned.

Our rustic dugout up in the woods served us well! At one point on Saturday we watched several Feds on a patrol file past, well within pistol range, and we remained undetected as we quietly watched from inside. But on Sunday morning another patrol stumbled upon us as we slept in after sunrise. We were too confident about our location, and had not put out a picket.

We found ourselves being fired upon by a whole squad- but we were all sleeping with our pistols by our side, and the little dugout instantly barked back pistol fire from all five of us. We couldn't keep them held back though, as they kept flanking around us. So as we held them at bay for a few more moments, we grabbed our coats & hats and anything else we felt we couldn't do without, quickly reloaded (with cold, shaky fingers- I gotta get me a Remington w/ extra cylinders like Capt. Anders has) and hightailed it out of there, bidding adieu to our humble abode for good.

One of the best events I've attended. It clicked on many levels, a sure indication of the superior planning that went into it. The interaction with all the other participants was very fulfilling, another indication of the quality-minded folks who chose to participate. I appreciate all the time and hard work that everyone put into it. Thank you to all who planned and executed it from beginning to end, and to all who participated and worked hard to create believable and memorable "moments".

Dan Hadley
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I was approached by the tintype artist about your image as we marched into town. He wanted me to look at it so we could identify who we were dealing with.

I hope you all have a great time at Bummers and lets look to a good 2010!
                Last edited by Hairy Nation Boys; 10-15-2009, 12:29 PM.
                Nathan Hellwig
                AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Clearly I'm getting too old for this. I look like a skunk!
                  Arch Campbell
                  Hairy Nation
                  Loyal Union League
                  Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

A Skunk .........I can see that . :D

RM
                    Rod Miller
                    [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                    [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                    A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                    1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                    1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                    1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                    1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                    Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                    1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                    Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Nation Boys View Post
                      I was approached by the tintype artist about your image as we marched into town. He wanted me to look at it so we could identify who we were dealing with.

Oh, Wow! Didn't know that. Were we really that untrusted or detested?

Nice to make an impact or impression, but wouldn't have assumed that...
                      Jay Stevens
                      Tater Mess
                      Independent Volunteers
                      Iron Man Mess

Bummers, November 2009
                      In the Van, August 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Yeah, I was approached by one of the more loyal ladies of the town who told me that she could identify the men in the image, and even tell us who stole what!
                        I figured that since if we captured any of you alive we'd just "finish it" ourselves, it really didn't matter too much what criminal charges could be brought...

P.S. Thanks for the support during my midlife crisis, Rod :cry_smile
                        Arch Campbell
                        Hairy Nation
                        Loyal Union League
                        Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

Robert Stumbling Bear was with our group of partisans. He was disguised as a Jewish merchant but he warned us about having our images taken and how if we did, our spirits would be trapped in a camera box.
                          Tom Yearby
                          Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Originally posted by MO-Pard View Post
                            Oh, Wow! Didn't know that. Were we really that untrusted or detested?

Nice to make an impact or impression, but wouldn't have assumed that...
                            That was the photographer that took you image, not the other one!

The other photographer
                            <table width="100%"><td width="230">[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]</td><td align="left" valign="top">Beir bua agus beannacht
                            Douglas A. Harding
                            Park Ranger
                            Jefferson National Expansion Memorial

"Secure the shadow, ere the substance fade."
                            "Let nature copy that, which nature made."

Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam
                            [I]A country without a language, a county without a soul. [/I]
                            Céad míle fáilte
                            [I]A hundred thousand welcomes![/I]

[URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/authenticityguide"][B]Star of the West Society[/B][/URL]
                            [URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/doughardingslivinghistoryfriends/"][B]Doug Harding's Living History Friends[/B][/URL]
                            [URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ConfederateGuard"][B]The Old Confederate Guard[/B] [/URL]</td></table>

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Harding View Post
                              That was the photographer that took you image, not the other one!

The other photographer
                              LOL. Yeah, Had hoped to at least personally sit for an image with you Doug, but knew our time was limited that morning and your chemicals wouldn't warm enough for a spell. And being former MSG, we knew we could count on you....
                              Jay Stevens
                              Tater Mess
                              Independent Volunteers
                              Iron Man Mess

Bummers, November 2009
                              In the Van, August 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X