The Race to Knoxville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Race to Knoxville

Here is another original picture of Fort Sanders, just after the battle. Most likely, the following spring. This is what is called "the common view of the NW bastion". Also, notice the vast number of tree stumps. Sure would make for some good entanglements.

Just about 27 days till the event.

Cheers
    Attached Files
    Greg S Barnett
    Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
    ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Have seen this pic before...made me look at the reproduction of the fort in a whole new light. The original fort and the reproduction look eerily similar.

Can't wait to head out there!!
      Pvt. Steve Middleton

63rd. Tennessee Infantry Regiment

New Knoxville Mess

"They call us Rebels, if you will, We glory in the name, For bending under unjust laws, And swearing faith to an unjust cause, We count as a greater shame."

-Richmond Daily Dispatch, May 12, 1862

Comment

Great picture ! ! ! I drive by the area everyday and to see it now you would never know it was there. :(

Sean Wilson
        New Knoxville Mess
        Sean Wilson

Comment

Another installment from Poe:

"The arrangements for the defense of the position on the north side of the Holston were necessarily made in the most hurried manner. The earth-works known as Fort Sanders and Fort Huntington Smith, intended for a very different condition of affairs, were so far advanced toward completion when Longstreet appeared before Knoxville, that their use without modification was compulsory. Neither of the plans was what it would have been had the works been designed for parts of a continuous line. Especially was this the case with respect to Fort Sanders, the trace of which was such that under the stress of circumstances its north-western bastion became a prominent salient of the main line, and notwithstanding the measures taken to remedy this objectionable feature, its existence caused us great anxiety. The sector without fire of the bastion referred to (the one attacked) would have been a sector without fire for the line, but for the arrangements made on either side of it to overcome the defect as far as possible. The fire thus obtained in front of this bastion was not all that could have been desired, but the event proved that it was sufficient. That Longstreet's renowned infantry failed to carry it by assault demonstrated that there were no very serious defects unprovided for.
          As already stated, the head of Burnside's column appeared at Knoxville at daybreak on the 17th of November. It was met near Third Creek, and the organizations were directed to their respective stations, formed upon the lines, and told to dig, and to do it with all their might. By the middle of the forenoon all were hard at work. The locations of but few of the organizations were changed during the siege, and these but slightly.
          Except the incomplete forts, Sanders and Huntington Smith, nothing in the way of defensive works had been previously contemplated. Lines of rifle-trenches soon appeared, only to grow rapidly into continuous infantry parapets. Batteries for the artillery were ready in the shortest possible time. During the night of the 16th of November Sanders had crossed his division of cavalry to the north side of the river and moved out on the Loudon road to cover our forces, approaching from Campbells Station, until they could get into position and make some progress in the construction of defensive works. Slowly falling back as the enemy advanced on the 17th, he finally made a stand with one brigade of about 700 men under his immediate command, upon a hill just north of the Loudon road, a mile from Fort Sanders and about 800 yards west from where that road crossed Third Creek; while the other brigade (two regiments of mounted infantry), commanded. by Colonel C. D. Pennebaker, turned at bay where the Clinton road crossed the ridge about a mile north-west from Fort Sanders.
          For the remainder of the 17th these commands stubbornly held their ground, in full view of our lines, the principal Confederate attacks being directed upon the position of Sanders, who kept up a fierce and gallant contest with Longstreet's infantry and Alexander's guns, ceasing only with the darkness. About 11 p. m. General Burnside sent for me, and upon reporting to him at his headquarters at Crozier's house, I found him in conversation with Sanders. He asked me how long it would take to make the works defensible, and was informed that it could be done by noon of the next day, the 18th. Turning to Sanders he asked him if he would maintain his position until that time, and received an assuring promise. Sanders accompanied me to my quarters, where we discussed. the matter until after midnight, and then lay down upon the same blanket to get some rest, but before daylight he was called by the guard, and left to join his command."
          Greg S Barnett

New Knoxville Mess
          ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Work day at the site.

Gents,
            Sean and I have scheduled a work day at the site for April 4th.
            We will meet at 10am at the barn. Please bring your tools (axe, hatchet, shovel, weed cutters, sledge hammers, chainsaw, handsaw, bowsaw,etc)

We will be performing the following:

Repairing erosion of the scarp of the trench wall
            Policing area for trash (modern)
            Making stumps for telegraph wire
            Making road signs/ markers

Contact Sean or me if you have questions. Also send and email or PM if you
            plan to come. If it rains us out again, we will meet the following Saturday at the same time.

Thank you for your support!
            Greg S Barnett

New Knoxville Mess
            ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Greg and I had a walk-through yesterday and got a bunch of things mapped out. That being said our next work day will be next Saturday April, 4. If it rains us out that day it will be the following Saturday.
              Projects will include:

1) Finish clearing federal road approach area.
              2) Fixing hole in front of registration barn.
              3) Hauling firewood to the fort.
              4) Setting up some obstructions in front of the fort.

That is just a few. Those who can make it bring loppers, handsaws, etc. I will bring a chainsaw and a couple of axes. We have the use of a couple of tractors and wagons to help us with our duties. Let me or Greg know if plan on attending.
              Sean Cooper
              [URL="http://www.mossycreekmess.com"]http://www.mossycreekmess.com[/URL]
              SCAR

Comment

Sorry for the double work day post. It helps if you read all the posts before you post something. Long day at work.
                Sean Cooper
                [URL="http://www.mossycreekmess.com"]http://www.mossycreekmess.com[/URL]
                SCAR

Comment

The Seige of Knoxville continues:

BY ORLANDO M. POE, BREVET BRIGADIER-GENERAL, U.S.A.

"As day dawned the attacks upon Sanders were renewed, with the evident determination to dislodge him in the shortest possible time. As hour after hour passed, and that cavalry continued to stand against the pressure, it excited the wonder of the rest of our army. The contest was very unequal, and occasionally a few of our men would leave their position behind the piles of fence rails which constituted their only cover, with the apparent intention of retreating. At such critical times Sanders would walk up to the rail piles and stand there erect, with fully half his height exposed to a terrific fire at short range, until every retreating man, as if ashamed of himself, would return to his proper place. He held his ground until noon as he had promised, and then, in accordance with an understanding with me, continued to hold it, intending to do so until actually driven away. At about half-past two he fell, mortally wounded, and the screen which he had so stubbornly interposed between the enemy and our hard-working troops was quickly rolled aside.
                  Every spadeful of earth turned while Sanders was fighting aided in making our position secure, and he had determined to sacrifice himself if necessary for the safety of the rest of the army. Hence he maintained his position so strenuously, and but for his fall it is possible he would have held it until night, as I sincerely believe he meant to do. His fine presence, soldierly bearing, extreme gallantry, and unvarying courtesy attached to him the incongruous elements composing his command, and enabled him to handle it as he did on this occasion, when its behavior was certainly worthy the commendation it received. The fort in front of which he fell was immediately named after him in commemoration of the service rendered.
                  Early on the 18th eight or ten of the enemy had established themselves in the upper story of the tower of a brick house which stood about 750 yards beyond Sanders's line, and from this advantageous position greatly annoyed his command by their accurate fire. He sent a request to Benjamin, in Fort Sanders, to try the effect upon these sharp-shooters of a few shots from his 20-pounder Parrotts. The distance was 2500 yards, but Benjamin's gunner put a shot directly through the compartment occupied by the sharp-shooters, badly wrecking it (as was ascertained by examination after the siege), and abating the nuisance. During the whole war I saw no prettier single shot.
                  By the night of the 18th our infantry trenches on the north side of the river had been made nearly continuous, and our heavier works were well advanced. The enemy's skirmishers pushed up in front of ours, and the siege was fairly on. On the 19th he extended to his left, and during the day threw shells into Knoxville from a battery posted on the Tazewell road, about a mile and a half from our main line. On the 20th the enemy's offensive lines began to appear, his right approaching the river near Armstrong's house just west of Third Creek. From there he extended toward the left across the valley and along the ridge beyond on a line nearly concentric with ours. The earth-works on each side seemed to grow like magic, but we were apparently doing more digging than they. Indeed, they never constructed any works of consequence east of the Jacksboro road.
                  A large brick house, with two log barns, stood within the enemy's skirmish line in front of Fort Sanders, and served as cover for troublesome sharpshooters. Why these buildings were not destroyed by us as we fell back I do not know, but it soon became evident that it must be done now, and the 17th Michigan Infantry was detailed for the purpose. At 9 P.m. the regiment, passing to the rear and left of Fort Sanders, advanced to our skirmish line, where they halted a few moments to adjust the line, and again moved forward. The enemy soon discovered the movement and opened fire, whereupon our men charged at a run, and quick1y gained possession of the buildings; a baking-pan full of warm biscuits in the house indicating the completeness of the surprise. A party of five volunteers under charge of Major F. W. Swift had been formed to set fire to the buildings. These were effectually fired, and our men were half-way on their return to our lines before the light of the burning buildings revealed the party to the enemy, who then opened a cannonade upon them."

Three more installments to come...

Cheers and Good Weekend,
                  Greg S Barnett

New Knoxville Mess
                  ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Registration

Officially Registration has closed, as of Friday, but I would like to extend this for a little while longer.

There are open slots on the Confederate side in
                    Jeff Noland's Company C

The Federal Side can shoulder a few more men in
                    Dave Thomas' Company G

Please register on the website and pay straight away by PayPal.

We need to have a firm grasp on the numbers, but there is room for a few more good fellars!

If anyone has special concerns or circumstances, please get in touch with Sean Cooper or me. He and I both are pretty understanding and usually can work out most anything.:wink_smil

Thanks to everyone for their support,

Cheers
                    Greg S Barnett

New Knoxville Mess
                    ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Money sent, I totally forgot, I got all my stuff out and am ready to do some fighting. Also I was wondering if I can arrange a tour of the battlefields around Knoxville, I am staying in Crossville for a bit after the event to see my dad. Sounds funny but it has been awhile since I did fed.
                      Last edited by Thomas Alleman; 03-29-2009, 07:28 PM. Reason: More text
                      Thomas J. Alleman
                      "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

Thomas,
                        It is said to say this, but there are no preserved "battlefields". Unfortunately, these have been long ago gobbled up. There are remaining "sites" or witnesses. Here is a link to the sites in Knoxville. There may be an occasion for a driving tour of East Tenn with Wm Dewey Beard. He will be talking Sunday morning after the event and knows the area left and right. He has been instrumental in getting sites marked by the state and in getting purchase of a few places as well. He is from Jefferson County (Strawberry Plains) and has made those things happen in Jefferson County.

Originally posted by Thomas Alleman View Post
                        Money sent, I totally forgot, I got all my stuff out and am ready to do some fighting. Also I was wondering if I can arrange a tour of the battlefields around Knoxville, I am staying in Crossville for a bit after the event to see my dad. Sounds funny but it has been awhile since I did fed.
                        Greg S Barnett

New Knoxville Mess
                        ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Another installment...

THE DEFENSE OF KNOXVILLE.

BY ORLANDO M. POE, BREVET BRIGADIER-GENERAL, U.S.A.
                          From Battles and Leaders of the Civil War, Vol. 3 pp. 731-45

The siege and defensive operations progressed in the usual manner until the 22d, when we received information that the enemy was constructing a raft at Boyd's Ferry, on the Holston, about six miles above Knoxville by the course of the river, intending to set it adrift in the hope that it would reach our pontoon-bridge and carry it away, thus breaking our communication with the south side. About dark we began stretching an iron cable boom across the river above the bridge, with a view to catching the raft. The cable was about a thousand feet long, formed by linking together all the iron bars we could get, and was borne by wooden floats. Under my personal supervision the boom was completed by 9 o'clock next morning.
                          On the evening of the 23d the enemy advanced upon our skirmishers in front of Fort Comstock and drove them back, but not until they had set fire to all the buildings in the immediate vicinity. We regained the position next morning.
                          Nearly due west from Fort Sanders the enemy had advanced his line to within about 600 yards of the fort, and had thrown up a continuous line of infantry trench, with its right resting on the railroad and extending about 300 yards to the left. Early in the morning of the 24th a detail of 169 men of the 2d Michigan Infantry attacked and carried this work. After they had held it for some time without reinforcements, the enemy made a counter-attack in largely increased force, with lamentable results to us, our men being driven back with a loss of nearly half their number. Strange as it may seem, this sortie was made without my knowledge, and although I made considerable effort afterward to ascertain who was responsible for it, I never succeeded. It would be difficult to conceive a more ill advised movement. It would have been proper if we had intended to bring on a general engagement, in which case the sortie should have been supported with our whole force. If such was not the intention, the sortie should not have been made at all. Carried out in the manner it was, the affair was simply murderous.
                          This is strong language, but every word of it is justified by the unnecessary loss of about eighty-three of our very best men. The notes, which I made at the time, show that if I could have found any one to stand sponsor for the order, my condemnation of it would have then been quite as decided as now.
                          About the same time the enemy crossed the Holston below his lines and unsuccessfully attacked our forces on the south side of the river. He established batteries of rifled guns on the heights nearly opposite the mouth of Third Creek (never occupied by us), distant about 2800 yards from Fort Sanders, rendering it necessary to defilade this work against them.
                          The reports of a destructive raft being renewed, another boom, 1500 feet long, and made of long timbers fastened together at the ends by fifth chains from the wagon trains, was stretched across the river above the first one.
                          Prior to our occupation of Knoxville, the enemy had begun the erection of an earthwork, called by them Fort Loudon, on the site afterward occupied by Fort Sanders. A second growth of pines, averaging about five inches in diameter, thickly covered the hillside in front and were cut down by them, leaving stumps perhaps eighteen inches high. The necessity for using every possible means of obstructing the approach over the sector without fire in front of the north-western bastion of Fort Sanders, included in the area covered by these stumps, was evident to every one, and became more pressing as the probability of an assault at this point grew more apparent. At this time Mr. Hoxie, in charge of the railroad property at Knoxville, informed me that he had a lot of old telegraph wire at the depot which he thought might be of service to us as an obstruction. Its use as a network entanglement, by carrying it from stump to stump over the sector without fire referred to, was so obvious that no time was lost in putting it in place. The part it played in causing the repulse was much overrated. Owing to its rusty color, nearly that of the pine litter just under it, and the imperfect light of the foggy morning, it doubtless did have some effect in breaking up the coherency of the assaulting column, and may possibly have detained it long enough to permit the defense to deliver a couple of rounds more, a matter of some consequence.
                          Greg S Barnett

New Knoxville Mess
                          ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Barnett View Post
                            Registration

Officially Registration has closed, as of Friday, but I would like to extend this for a little while longer.

There are open slots on the Confederate side in
                            Jeff Noland's Company C

The Federal Side can shoulder a few more men in
                            Dave Thomas' Company G

Please register on the website and pay straight away by PayPal.

We need to have a firm grasp on the numbers, but there is room for a few more good fellars!

If anyone has special concerns or circumstances, please get in touch with Sean Cooper or me. He and I both are pretty understanding and usually can work out most anything.:wink_smil

Thanks to everyone for their support,

Cheers
                            I had two call me and back out today..Casey Grabber and Joey Gangler both are from the FlatLanders Mess.I also know that Jordan ricketts and Caldwell are out too. If Joey and them are not coming the rest of thier mess maynot and that will be three more also. So if you want to Greg I have some room.
                            Kiev Thomason
                            a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
                            WIG
                            Armory Guards
                            Forest Park Lodge #399
                            Forest Park GA.

Comment

Anyone interested in coming is more than welcome.
                              Just be firm in your commitment. Have purchased some of the rations already, but there is always room for more good pards!!
                              Greg S Barnett

New Knoxville Mess
                              ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Well, school definately distracted me, but I've come to my senses, have resigered and paid, and am looking forward to seeing you all in Tennesee in a few weeks. Providing that, of course, Marvin/Del doesn't steal the tires off my horseless carriage before I get up there, and that I'm allowed to bring a period-appropriate nuclear space heater this time. :tounge_sm
                                Jonathan "Scottie" Scott
                                Co. A, 104th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
                                Salt River Rifles

Upcoming:
                                <a href="http://www.fortsanders.info/">Race to Knoxville: April 17-19, 2009</a>
                                <a href="http://www.georgiadivision.org/">145th Anniversary Battle of Resaca: May 17-19, 2009</a>

Comment

Working...
                                X