Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: After Action Review

Okay, I'm going to ask ...

Was this ball game with both US/CS participants documented to the area and time frame?

I will admit ignorance of period events in that locale since I did not study up for this event. I wasn't planning to attend, so focused on other things.
    Joe Smotherman

Comment

From the senior commanders perspective on the Confederate side of the field. Everything went extremely well.

Chronologically, these are my AAR comments:

The Saturday morning engagement.
      -The plan was for the Confederate side to push in the Federal Picketts, then have the opposing lines have skirmishes encounter each other. This was to be followed by the Confederate line of battle pushing in the Federal Picketts and then advancing to a point where they realized the Federal main line was well established and in an unassailable position, at which time the Confederate line would withdraw from the field without ever making an assault against the improved works of the main Federal line.

This went off very well. The engagement ranges were kept very realistic. The Confederates pushed up within about 120 yards of the Federal works, but didn't cross the obstacle between the lines (a muddy creek) nor try to move up the slope towards the Federals. The Confederates took hits during this activity, and recovered the bodies as they withdrew.

During the middle of the day, we kept a strong Pickett line and sent out a patrol from each company.

The next planned engagement was an assault on a different Federal position, with the Federals being flanked out of their line, and causing the Federals to retreat. This also went well. We had Capt Hancock attack from the front with a smaller force. This attack was doomed to fail on it's own. Up a wooded hill towards well covered numerical forces. The larger Confederate force quickly brushed aside the few picketts on eth Federal extreme right, and forming a good line of battle pushed quickly on the Federal flank and forced them to try and refuse their right. The Confederates sent a few men to their right into the tree line which would have eventually placed them in the Federal rear. The Federals quickly withdrew from what was developing into a bad position. The Engagement ranges were realistic, and both sides took casualties. The Federal Dead were looted.

A few hours later, the Federals attempted a counter attack and pushed the forward line of Confederates out of an advanced tree line, but as the Federals came out of the tree line on the Confederate side, they had to stop to reform. Unfortunately it placed them in a punchbowl. The Confederates were prepared and rose over the edge from out of view and directed some devastating fire down on the Federals from a range of about 80 yards. The Confederates then sent a small Company to the Federal Left and continued to bring fore down on the me as they suffered in the bottom of the hollow. They withdrew after taking numerous casualties.

The posting of the Federal picketts before dark, and the Confederate reaction is best told over e good drink. That small vignette was priceless. And to the lone fellow that made the run from the far tree line across our front as the Companies fired on him by files... well... it's a miracle he survived!

The fighting after dark. It was instigated when the Confederates pushed their picketts out towards the tree line that separated the opposing forces.

-Now... let me describe the terrain. From eth Confederate line, the ground rose enough to mask the line from anyone in the previously mentioned punchbowl. From the rise down to the bottom of the 'bowl was about 80- 120 yards (depending on where you stood). Then the other side rose up about 15 yards into a tree line which was about 20-30 yards deep. On the far side the of the tree line the ground continued to rise about 19 more yard, the crested and dropped slightly toward the Federal lines and the Fort. From that rise to the Fort was a distance of about 100 yards, maybe a little less. Now... this tree line which was between the lines didn't extend all of the way across the front, but terminated just past half way along the far side of the 'punch bowl'.

When Capt. Hancock encountered the Federal picketts on the near side (that being the Conf. side of the tree line) I asked him to push them back through the tree line towards the Federal side. I was thinking it rather dangerous for the Federals to have pushed their Picketts so far out. So far in fact that they placed the tree line and the rise between themselves and their reserves and the main Federal force. When Capt. Hancock's reserve pushed their picketts in, they responded by sending a full Company out to push back. Capt. Hancock called for support, so Capt. Thomasson's Company (which had been sleeping on arms) rose to the occasion, and advanced in the darkness. The fighting was fierce at times, sporadic at other. The end result, the Federals fell back, and it quieted down… but not for long. The Federals came forward a second time. This time we extended out line to the right, over the right edge of the punch bowl to the extent we were taking sporadic fire from the Fort itself. This time the distances between the lines got rather close. As the fighting again quieted, it was decided that a truce would be a good option rather than endangering the men with further night time fighting at close ranges.

The next morning, without bugle calls, the Confederate forces rose and prepared to assault the fort. Capt Hancock formed a skirmish line and swept from our left to right along the near side of the punch bowl, forcing the Federal Picketts to flee. He then did left wheel at the end of the tree line and advanced up the rise out of the 'bowl'. Simultaneously, Capt. Thomas advnced his line of battle out of the tree line and up the rise to face the fort. Both lines gave a volley and advanced to the deadfall before the fort. A second volley was fired and the Charge was sounded. The men rushed through the obstacles which disrupted our formations. Through the trip wires and into the ditch, the men of the 4th Alabama charged. Many men fell going through the obstacles, but many more suffered while in the ditch at the base of the fortress wall. After a few moments of men scrambling in a feeble attempt to scale the works, or find cover, retreat was sounded.

Only three of Capt. Hancocks men returned. No Officers of NCO's. Of Capt. Thomasson's Company. less than a quarter made the retreat. All others were either killed, captured or wounded.

From the Confederate perspective, it was a very good event. Greg and Sean did an outstanding job. The men who fell in on the Confederate side job did a splendid job, and I was honored to have had over all command. Captains Thomasson and Hancock however had the greatest responsibilities of Command, and each did a great job with their Companies. The men of these two Companies are to be commended for their performance. The Federals provided us with great opposition , and helped to keep the scenarios flowing, the distances realistic and the action hot when it needed to be. To Jim Butler and his Company Commanders, thank you. Also to the men who filled your ranks, I’m grateful that we were facing men of their ilk who aren’t afraid to use rammers, and will keep the distances realistic.
      Brian Hicks
      Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
        Okay, I'm going to ask ...

Was this ball game with both US/CS participants documented to the area and time frame?

I will admit ignorance of period events in that locale since I did not study up for this event. I wasn't planning to attend, so focused on other things.
        If their was an invitation for the Confederates to come out and play a game of rounders... we where never aware of it!
        Brian Hicks
        Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Race to Knoxville wins the "Most Authentic Water" prize.
          James Cassell

Mossy Creek Mess SCAR
          1st East Tenn Battery B

Comment

Well I have to say just what a GREAT job both Greg and Sean did. You guys should be really proud of your accomplishment. The land was beautiful and as was stated, really gave you a feel for the East Tenn. countryside circa. 1863. I thought everybody did a great job working as a cohesive military unit and always did what was asked. This was my first rodeo as Sgt. and I had a blast ! I can thank Co.G 2nd platoon,as well as Mr. Nate Petersburg, for that.
            Also as Kiev talked about, the Sunday morning attack was short, but very surreal, and I did get goosebumps as the few of us who were chosen to make it to the fort walls, then die, tried to storm it . It was a helpless feeling, and all I could think about was the terror and anger, those real men must have felt. After fighting thru some of the most vicious battles of the war( ie: Fredricksburg, Gettysburg, Chickamauga) only to have your life used up in a futile attack. The fort by the way looked great and was insurmountable, like the real fort.That added a unique aspect to an event I've never had. I think that's the real thing I like to bring back from these events,is not just first person talk about your corn crop in Alabama, but your own little mental snipet of maybe sharing the same thoughts of a man who died in vein.
            Eric N. Harley-Brown
            Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianHicks View Post
              The posting of the Federal picketts before dark, and the Confederate reaction is best told over e good drink. That small vignette was priceless. And to the lone fellow that made the run from the far tree line across our front as the Companies fired on him by files... well... it's a miracle he survived!
              Haha, I have to agree...Mr. Hicks scared the bejeesus out of me with that one (Brian, I was the first picket you fired on, the one in the middle of the field who raised his musket triumphantly after escaping unscathed.) Our side of that:

Cpl Clint: Scott, here's your post.

Me, in the middle of an open field, staring right at the CS body: Um, OK (Gee, this is just a little exposed)

Col. Hicks, loudly: Captain Thomason, may I have command of your company?

Kiev, equally loudly: Yes sir!

Hicks: Company, right wheel, march! (turning towards me)

Me: (Uh oh.)

Hicks: Company, Halt! One target, range, 150 yards!

Me: (oh...sh*t. Um...hide.)

*proceed to wild running, dodging, and diving as an entire company starts picking off picket posts, one at a time.* :p

I have to admit Brian, after that I really, really hoped you got captured. :tounge_sm
              Last edited by NewHopeChurch; 04-20-2009, 05:26 PM.
              Jonathan "Scottie" Scott
              Co. A, 104th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
              Salt River Rifles

Upcoming:
              <a href="http://www.fortsanders.info/">Race to Knoxville: April 17-19, 2009</a>
              <a href="http://www.georgiadivision.org/">145th Anniversary Battle of Resaca: May 17-19, 2009</a>

Comment

I enjoyed the event and the fort. So when do we build on to it. A few more feet of earthworks would be nice. I did not think it was to cold but hey I am from MICHIGAN and it is much colder about this time of year and I know how to keep warm. Thanks to the all those who put on the event and all the information and research done.

I always think that the history lesson about the event should taught before the event gets underway this way you get some background about the unit and sets the stage for the rest of the event. I read all the posts about what was going on but a refresher helps keep us in the mindset of the units we portray.
                Thomas J. Alleman
                "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

Originally posted by NewHopeChurch View Post
                  Haha, I have to agree...Mr. Hicks scared the bejeesus out of me with that one (Brian, I was the first picket you fired on, the one in the middle of the field who raised his musket triumphantly after escaping unscathed.) Our side of that:

Cpl Clint: Scott, here's your post.

Me, in the middle of an open field, staring right at the CS body: Um, OK (Gee, this is just a little exposed)

Col. Hicks, loudly: Captain Thomason, may I have command of your company?

Kiev, equally loudly: Yes sir!

Hicks: Company, right wheel, march! (turning towards me)

Me: (Uh oh.)

Hicks: Company, Halt! One target, range, 150 yards!

Me: (oh...sh*t. Um...hide.)

*proceed to wild running, dodging, and diving as an entire company starts picking off picket posts, one at a time.* :p

I have to admit Brian, after that I really, really hoped you got captured. :tounge_sm

So that was you eh?? We all had a good laugh out of your wild running from our volley of fire. It looked as if you really were running for your very life!! Great job everyone on this event. The most fun and immersive experience I've ever had in 5 years of Reenacting.
                  Pvt. Steve Middleton

63rd. Tennessee Infantry Regiment

New Knoxville Mess

"They call us Rebels, if you will, We glory in the name, For bending under unjust laws, And swearing faith to an unjust cause, We count as a greater shame."

-Richmond Daily Dispatch, May 12, 1862

Comment

Greg and Sean did a great job putting this one together. They seem like veteran event organizers with the way this event ran so smoothly. I would come back to an event they organized in a heart beat.

This event has left several moments I will remember for a long time to come. The scared picket fleeing for his life is definetly one. Along with half a dozen other ones. One thing I truly appreciated about this event was that both sides seemed to take casualties. The only exception was the first engaement saturday morning. This was later explained to me by Terry Chadwick, a hardened veteran of many a campaign. It seems wet grass, mud and creeks cause lead bullets to be pulled to the ground more quickly so that they never reach their intended target. This must be true because as the ground dried out and we got further away from the creeks, the aim of both sides improved dramatically.

I was honored to serve as the Orderly for CO. G of the 4th Alabama. Every man from Private to Captain performed their duties well and faced the enemy with courage. Having a corps of eager NCOs made my job very easy.

I was also great to have a reunion of Craddock's Ram Rods. I would fight with you guys anywhere.
                    [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                    [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                    [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

I take the responsibility for the CS skirmishers in the woods who would not play a game of rounders, as they were under my command. I did not feel like jeopardizing my men and the companies safety nor did I want to be demoted after having just been promoted! In my mind I was portraying reality...a young 2nd Lt. who had just been promoted to this position and did not know what was best at times but did what I thought my Captain would want me to do. My orders were to hold the ground in the woods unless attacked and not knowing when that was going to happen, and you boys looking awful suspicious up there:wink_smil, I was going to hold my position.
                      I did have one brave soul who wanted to go throw and hit ball with you boys and I let him.
                      Thanks to Greg and Sean for their leadership and hosting of such a great event. Good job feller's!!
                      I had a great time learning, listening, understanding, laughing, first person, and all the other great things.
                      I have to give a BIG Thank you to Kiev for letting me have this opportunity to serve as a 2nd Lt. and to let me be surrounded by Kiev, Brian, Tripp, Nate, Terry and many other great leaders who are very encouraging!
                      Thanks to all the fellas who were patient with me and were encouraging in regards to my position.
                      To Brian, Marvin and the others...we can play ball another time!:cry_smile
                      Respectfully
                      Kaelin R. Vernon
                      SOUTH UNION GUARD

"Do small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

" Put your hands to work and your hearts to God" -Mother Ann Lee

Comment

The old saying goes...no one wants the responsibility for taking the pictures but everyone wants to enjoy them.

These are some great candid shots...I hope y'all know that when I am taking pictures at these types of events I always try to be as unobtrusive as possible so as to not ruin your period moment or for some harsh your mellow. And I appreciate all of you for being good sports about it. My guess is that many of you did not even know I captured your image.

Also, y'all may use any of these images to promote the hobby. All I ask is that you state that picture was taken by...provided by...courtesy of Joel Phillips or something of that nature.

Enjoy...

Follow this link for pictures: Race to Knoxville

P.S. I was not the guy flashing my camera during the battle on Saturday night.
                        Joel Phillips

Comment

Joel

I really appreciate your sharing those images. And it is pretty clear that they were taken during down time, and nothing was posed or taken during the battles. I never saw a camera. I'd say good work.

Comment

I didn't notice he was taking pictures until Saturday evenin' (the prone pictures) and he fell in next to me for the whole event.
                            Bryant Roberts
                            Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                            palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Gents,

I have to share one story from Friday night that I think you will get a chuckle out of. After arriving at our camp area, Co. A had the first guard mount. I placed my pickets and went back to the reserve. I believe it was the third rotation when the "action" happened. It went a little like this:

"Halt who comes there?"

nothing, a few seconds go by

again "Halt who comes there?"

nothing, a few more seconds

"Corporal of the Guard, Post #4"

Corporal goes running, men start to wake up out a what little sleep they were getting.

After a couple of minutes the Corporal walked by me. I asked him what the disturbance was all about. Apparantly a couple of cows :) wouldn't answer back when they were challenged.

Saturday morning when the confederates hit the field, I made sure to point out to the men the difference in your apperance and the cows in the field next to you. We had a good chuckle about this the rest of the weekend in Co. A.

Another man fell asleep at his post during the day on Saturday. As a punishment he was made to carry around a very long and heavy log around the whole camp and expain why he was carrying the log.

Just thought I would share those couple of stories with you guys. Thanks for everyone who made the trip and made the event possible. See most of you in a couple of weeks at Resaca.

Capt. Dillman (Cooper)
                              2nd MI Co. A
                              Sean Cooper
                              [URL="http://www.mossycreekmess.com"]http://www.mossycreekmess.com[/URL]
                              SCAR

Comment

To Kaelin I hope there will be a next time. We offered to play you guys in the valley but only one guy came out to play. :(

And Sean that guy who fell asleep must have been the most entertaining soldier the entire weekend that was the same guy who ran away from his post when the rebs started shooting at him lol.
                                Marvin Greer
                                Snake Nation Disciples

"Now bounce the Bullies!" -- Lt. David Cornwell 9th Louisiana Colored Troops, Battle of Milliken's Bend.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X