After Action Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Action Review

Well, I guess I will start this. Some will comment that this is the typical back rub (in not so kind words) post about an event, but this event is worth it, for me.
    Mr. Cooper and Mr. Barnett did one hell of a job getting this event running. The property is wonderful and open. The terrain was enjoyable and really gave a good feel for the Tennessee farmlands of the 1860's. The Fort model was a really fun backdrop to the event. I am glad we had the chance to go there.

The event started with typical ration issues and drill Friday night. We marched out to our jumping off point and set pickets and camp for the night. It was pretty cold on Friday night, which made short sleep for many. I was able to sleep okay, remembering to bring a overcoat. Saturday started early and then the fun began when Mr. Hicks was getting his Confederates to press us. They could not take our position, but we ended up moving from the area. We moved to a nice field short of the fort and setup for a time in the warming sun. No real action took place, only some small shooting exchanges by the pickets. Saturday afternoon we fell back to the fort and took up better positions. The Confederates had a little action for us, making us think they were attacking. It seemed only our officers were fooled...

Sunday morning was the big push, that seemed to be over before it began. The Confederate attack faltered and casualties were high.

There were two disappointments...
    First, the Confederate in the wood on Saturday afternoon were too scared to come out and play a little friendly rounders match. Come on, guys, we just wanted some fun. Second, when there was a shortage of water Saturday night, a collection was taken to provide fresh water for the men. I do not know how many actually contributed, but a few who did never received any water. Many filled their canteens and also cooked with the good water, when cooking with nasty water would have worked well. They also raided a distillery and provided a whiskey ration to a few. People who paid some of the money for this venture received nothing. This was not the event staff's fault.

To the officers and NCO's...Great work. I appreciate your effort and I felt this was one of the better led companies I have been in. The men of the SCAR were great again and thank you for the great time....
    [I][B]Brian T. McGarrahan[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.trampbrigade.com"]Tramp Brigade Mess[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.scarreenactors.com"]Southeast Coalition of Authentic Reenactors[/URL]
    [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]GAME 07[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[CENTER]"[B][SIZE="2"]I am just here to get my name in the program. Wildcats![/SIZE][/B]."[/CENTER]

Re: After Action Review

Brian,

thanks for getting me and my pard Scott up for some "batting practice". The make shift bat was definitely a challenge, but made for a fine time. Yeah, those Johnnies thought we were setting a trap for sure.
    Ken Cornett
    MESS NO.1
    Founding Member
    OHIO
    Mason Lodge #678, PM
    Need Rules?

Comment

Yea you never can trust a yankee
      Chad Wrinn

Comment

I had a great time and was impressed with the Fort, the property host and the beauty of the countryside.

It appears to me that this will afford many a good site to portray a lesser known campaign (East Tennessee). The event reminded me of Pickett's Mill and Outpost, to name a few. At times the site reminded me of Perryville, but without the clutter of a state park.

Everyone appeared to have a good time with only a few minor drawbacks. Water supply as Brian mentioned and too many Modern military influences. At one point someone made the comment that he felt like he was in a Vietnam unit. Some of the modern terminology and commands need to be eliminated, which is sometimes hard for modern Veterans. The hardened CW Veterans of 1863 would not have been treated like recruits that just joined the service. They had fought and survived numerous engagements and were battle proven. Although discipline was properly enforced on one Soldier that feel asleep at his post, that punishment was deserved and he suffered the disapproval of his platoon :).

It was definitely worth the trip and I will have to give in a couple of thumbs up. Next time they should recruit a pioneer platoon to help construct barriers, we should have brought axes as well. My thanks to the unit organizers and the participants on both sides, good to see everyone again.
        Gregory Deese
        Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
        "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

I had a great time serving with y'all this weekend.

I have a bunch of great pics from this weekend...I will forward them to y'all later when I get some time. I have to eat and play with my daughter for a while first.

However, I thought y'all might want to see this one first. I rocks.

Stay tuned for the rest.
          Attached Files
          Joel Phillips

Comment

And another y'all might like...
            Attached Files
            Joel Phillips

Comment

The surroundings were beautiful and the land to play on was even better. Three cheers to all getting this site, fort, and event off and running. Eastern TN., has alot of CW historical engagements that hardly are protrayed or never. Thanks for stepping up and putting on the event.

Also.....Thanks for the images....Keep them coming.

Eric Grothaus

Comment

I had a great time at this event, despite the far-too-cold first night. It's damn refreshing to serve under a command structure that isn't afraid of daring to offend the enemy by having the gall to defend a position.

For me, the patrols we sent out mid-day on Saturday were the highlight of the event for me (followed by the surprise bayonet charge later that evening).

For any Rebs reading this, my patrol not only managed to get way involved on your right flank (for the record, the goal was to be seen), but we also got a 5-man detachment through two fences and about 200 yards past your left flank, well in the rear of the position you occupied that afternoon. Using the cover of the hills behind you, we got a good look at your camp (including one gent using his cell phone???).

Two officers started heading our way whist doing this recon, so I had to jump back from the treeline and hug the ground along a slope leading toward your encampment. I was no more than about 12 feet from these officers while they strolled along, oblivious to the patrol within speaking distance of them. If you'd thought to go to the edge of the plain you were on and look down, Id've been nabbed for sure. But, luck held out.

I guess the moral of the story is to not let your guard down like that, boys. We discussed, in all seriousness, riding around your encampment (given our position and the lay of the land, this would have been quite doable).

A fun weekend everybody. :-)
                Jonathan "Scottie" Scott
                Co. A, 104th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
                Salt River Rifles

Upcoming:
                <a href="http://www.fortsanders.info/">Race to Knoxville: April 17-19, 2009</a>
                <a href="http://www.georgiadivision.org/">145th Anniversary Battle of Resaca: May 17-19, 2009</a>

Comment

Many thanks to Sean Cooper and Greg Barnett for making this event happen. I felt the company officers and NCOs did a fine job. I truly showed in the diligence and rapid response that the men made to orders. My compliments to Capt Cooper and Capt Thomas to you and your men. Keep in mind that this was a scripted event that copied original historical events. I know we had to adjusta bit and suspend disbelief where there were a few barbed wire fences that redirected us or between our lines. Despite that I felt that each side reacted accordingly to terrain, ranges and the overall tactical situation. This is why I was pleased, as always, to work with my counterparts, Brian Hicks and Kiev Thomason. They "get it" and reacted accordingly and I hope they feel that the Federals did the same in return.
                  The fire fight on Sat night was unscripted and simply escalated over the position of a picket post. Although unscripted I do appreciate how the men handled themselves in the action. Thanks to Marvin Greer, our local scout, Jeremy Ray, clerk and runner and Chuck Woodhead, our bugler for your rapid response to orders.
                  Yes, firper was lacking a bit, but nothing that overwhelmed or bled over too bad to others. However, to me, much of first person is in the "doing" of campaigning (i.e. fieldcraft, etc). Thanks to everyone for your comraderie and thanks to organizers and land-holder for your efforts.

Regards,
                  Jim Butler
                  commanding 2nd MI at Race to Knoxville
                  Jim Butler

Comment

Originally posted by NewHopeChurch View Post
                    I had a great time at this event, despite the far-too-cold first night.
                    Wuss, Sgt Kurz, myself, and "Stump/Meathooks from Piney Woods stayed outside here in Detroit last weekend because indoor barracks were too warm, and right next to the river as well.:tounge_sm

(including one gent using his cell phone???).
                    Possibly an event organizer doing event organizer things?

(Two officers started heading our way whist doing this recon, so I had to jump back from the treeline and hug the ground along a slope leading toward your encampment. I was no more than about 12 feet from these officers while they strolled along, oblivious to the patrol within speaking distance of them. If you'd thought to go to the edge of the plain you were on and look down, Id've been nabbed for sure. But, luck held out.
                    Sounds like a certain lost patrol from another event. Seems like you boys had a good time.
                    Chris Suppelsa

Comment

Well..now that I have had a few seconds to look at the above post and read a few emails about the event. I would like to say that Sean and Greg did a bully of a job with this one. Great job gents!

I know that the 4th Alabama must have had a tough job working in the face of the fort . The feeling of coming out of the woodline and seeing it and then getting orders to take my company and try and take it was a feeling of doom for me. To have had to do it for real would have made the mens skin crawl. Watching as my men went down all around me only backs up my thoughts.

To the men of my command...Great work! You guys were tops. It was the best time I have had at an event working with a company in the past few years. I will always think of our time at this event and say wow ....what a danm fine group of men! It was great working with Brian Hicks and my two Lt.s Mr Vernon and Mr.Petersburg you did a fine job. Brian did a very good job leading us as well. Mr.Hancock did a fine job with his company also. When we needed them they were there I know thay feel the same.

Mr Butler and the federals did a fine job as well. To know that you were up there in the works and we had to try and take it made for some heavy work for us in the butternut.
                      Kiev Thomason
                      a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
                      WIG
                      Armory Guards
                      Forest Park Lodge #399
                      Forest Park GA.

Comment

I can understand your frustration. Events are many times much more magical when parts are experienced in first person. And usually if a large group of folks are willing to move toward that direction (usually happens at the beginning of the event), I am more than happy to participate.

For example, when we did Immortal 600, Marmaduke's Raid and Sparks to Secession a large group of folks who were with us and you this weekend on both the Federal and Confederate side stayed in first person at those events and made it a much more awesome experience.

Fact is, for Race to Knoxville, I researched and researched the history so as to be ready if folks were game. I do not know about the Federal side; however, for us folks seemed to be having such a good time being out of first person that I just naturally moved toward the direction of the majority.

Great observation. I am glad you spoke out cause’ next time I bet we all think about what you said this day and take it into account.
                        Last edited by Coon Dawg; 04-20-2009, 02:05 PM.
                        Joel Phillips

Comment

Sorry this needs to be posted on "First Person restrictions - why bother?"

Whoops...
                          Joel Phillips

Comment

I had a great time...I just wish I could find a worthy adversary who could catch an unarmed negro wondering close to confederate lines. Sgt. Ugh of Piney woods tried and failed, the Federal Pickets at Piney woods tried and failed I was hoping the tough rebel soldiers that I have heard so much a bout could give me a run for my money.

And I must agree with Brian it was kind of messed up that the rebs wouldn’t come out to play rounders with us…I think they were afraid we’d beat em. It wasn’t until the ride home that Lewis told me that they actually thought we were a distraction and the feds were going to attack at any moment. Lol

It was a pleasure working with Jim, Sean, and the rest of the Officers and NCO’s.
                            To the rebs you boys did a fine job.
                            Thanks Greg and Sean for a job well done.
                            Marvin Greer
                            Snake Nation Disciples

"Now bounce the Bullies!" -- Lt. David Cornwell 9th Louisiana Colored Troops, Battle of Milliken's Bend.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, let us all keep the first person stuff in the first person topic. This topic is for thanking the event host/organizers and bashing those Confederates who were too scared to "play ball..." Really, guys, was it that hard? We did not mess with the one who was brave enough to come out. He even got some food out of the deal...
                              [I][B]Brian T. McGarrahan[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.trampbrigade.com"]Tramp Brigade Mess[/URL]
                              [URL="http://www.scarreenactors.com"]Southeast Coalition of Authentic Reenactors[/URL]
                              [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]GAME 07[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[CENTER]"[B][SIZE="2"]I am just here to get my name in the program. Wildcats![/SIZE][/B]."[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X