Federal Campaigner Adjunct @ Rivers Bridge 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bn Staff and Company Commanders

Ok folks. We have a Bn Commander and Sgt Major.

David Neel will command, and Jeff Black will Sgt Major.

Dave and Jeff have excellent federal impressions, and are very well versed in Bn, Company and Skirmish Drill. They are founding members of the Yellowhammer Rifles.

I have some interest in company command, but nothing solid yet. If you are interested in commanding/raising a company for this event, please let me know.

My intent at this point is four 25 man companies.

Co A.
    Co.B (color company) - Andy Redd (tentative)
    Co C.
    Co D

Registration will be $10.00 and will cover a ration issue and preservation donation.

We will portray the men of the 32nd Wisconsin, Third Brigade commanded by Col John Tilson.

http://www.civilwaralbum.com/misc7/riversbridge1.htm

Please e-mail me if interested, so Ii can add you to a list to receive a registration form.

galen.wagner@dps.alabama.gov

Registration form to follow.
    Last edited by GWagner; 05-05-2009, 04:07 PM.
    Galen Wagner
    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Re: Federal Campaigner Adjunct @ Rivers Bridge 2010

Galen,

I did talk to the president of the 25th SC and he stated that he is trying to get the event back where the battle took place. The works are still there and the causeway is still in place. Randy Burbage of the 10th SC regularly puts on a march on much of the Federal route but he didn't do it this year. Another member of the 25th was working on an overnight campaign march but he fell ill and couldn't continue with the plans. I think what you are doing is great.
      Claude Sinclair
      Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Please let him know that this effort would love to "be" the march next year, whether there is any othe rinterest or not.

I plan to do a cracker and coffee issue Sat morning on the march route if it all works out.
        Galen Wagner
        Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Galen,

Is there any chance you and Bobo will work together to support each other's marches? It just seems two, perhaps three, marches at the same general timeframe in the same geography is a bit much. Just a thought between cups of coffee this morning.
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Galen,

A march was discussed with members of the 10th SC this weekend at Resaca. Rick Davis will be the direct contact and Randy Burbage could help with planning the route for the march.
            Claude Sinclair
            Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Charles,

I don't know anything about other marches...but this one will take place Friday evening/Sat morning in conjucntion with the event and will be for the Federal campaign BN for the RB event..

Is the march Bobo is planning the one down near Beaufort? If not, fill me in.
              Galen Wagner
              Mobile, AL

Comment

Galen,

I know that there was once a discussion about a march in Aiken but that has been scratched. I think Bobo was discussing that. Another person is planning a march in the low country around Beauford, SC.
                Claude Sinclair
                Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Michael Kirby (508 Preach) is the one that wants to start planning a march in the Beaufort area (St Helena). After talking to him at Resaca this past weekend I believe he was looking at the fall of 2011/1861. But questions about that Im sure can be more accuratley answered by him.
                  Scott Malone

"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

Thanks Scott, I couldn't remember who that was.

I plan to be there for that one. Did y'all ever catch up with Maurice Ungaro in Beaufort?

Semper Fi!
                    Galen Wagner
                    Mobile, AL

Comment

Unfortunatley, I have not made contact with him. Now that you reminded me of him, I think a gentleman in his position would be just the man to talk to about an effort here in this county, Ill bring it up with 508 Preach. BTW I went into the museum here on base and asked for DR Wise, he was out for the day, apparently he does alot of lecturing, but the museum has really come around since I was last in there in 2003.
                      Scott Malone

"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

Make sure you ask Dr Wise about his attic full of pics.

Also, Maurice has alllooottt of contacts in that area. His wife is head of the Beaufort Chamber. An asset for sure.

I'll be over in the area for the Water Festival July 16-19. Maybe we (me, you, Maurice, Preach, and whoever else is in the local area) can meet at a local watering hole, and have a meeting of the minds.
                        Galen Wagner
                        Mobile, AL

Comment

I generally avoid adjuncts like the plague, but, in this case, I'll make an exception. With a chance to do four '145th's' of Sherman's tour of the southeast, from Bummers to Ft. McAllister, to RB, to LBL, you can count me in.

It's only a ten hour drive. I would offer a ride to anyone in the mid-Atlantic who would like to squeeze these four events in, but we all know there aren't any serious campaigners here anymore, so I'll save my breath.

Bill Birney
                          Columbia Rifles
                          William Birney
                          Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
                          Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

Bill,

I would certainly love to have you. I will be meeting with Rob Murray this weekend about him commanding one of these companies. That'll give you a home if you make it.

What I still really need, as you alluded to, is a company commander from SC who can organize the core group of good authentics locally.

Looks like the march will happen...details to work out still.

Thanks,
                            Galen Wagner
                            Mobile, AL

Comment

Guidleines and Update

Update:

I am working/planning on a march in conjunction with the event. The route should take us over mostly battlefield ground. I will work with local folks who have setup preservation marches at this event over the past several years.

Chris Crabb has offered his help with his research to aid me in planning the activities, and I will work with him over the coming months to gather more info about the 32nd Wisconsin.

I have commissioned a vendor to provide a cracker ration issue Sat morning. This will fall in line with the $10.00 registration fee. The issue will also include coffee. Depending on numbers, I may try to incorporate some pork or boiled beef as well.

I am starting to see that 2010 could not be a better time to try to pull this off. This event is play billed as one in a tour of Sherman’s March events going on. I am getting pretty good feedback, and interest.

Please spread the word, and ask anyone who may be interested to e-mail me at this address; galen.wagner@dps.alabama.gov

Now for the Guidelines.

HEADGEAR: 1)Hardee Hat 2) Documented Civilian Style Hat (Black or Dark Brown Preferred). 3) Federal Forage Cap.

COAT/JACKET: 1) Four-Button Sack Coat 2) Federal Shell Jacket 3) Frock Coat.

GREAT COAT: 1) Great Coats are strongly encouraged. It is likely to get down near freezing at night. It has, however been very tolerable before at night. We just never know.

SHIRT: 1) Wool Flannel Federal Contract Shirt. 2) U. S. Issue Domet Flannel. 3) Civilian Shirt. Wool or Homespun.

TROUSERS: Sky Blue Infantry-Pattern, Wool Kersey of Proper Period Wear, Materials and Construction.

DRAWERS: 1) Military Issue. 2) Civilian. All of Proper Period Wear, Materials and Construction.

FOOTWEAR: 1) Government Issued Brogans. 2) Civilian or Military-Style Shoes. 3) Military or Civilian Boots.

SOCKS: Military or Civilian Socks. Hand-Knitted Cotton or Wool.

CANTEEN: U.S. Issued Smooth-Side With or Without Jean or Wool Cover.

KNAPSACK: 1) Bedrolls. 2) Double Bag Soft Pack

HAVERSACK: U.S. Issue Black Tarred Haversack of Proper Period Construction with Roller-Buckle Strap.

CARTRIDGE BOX: US Issue .58 or .69 Caliber Box with or without US Box Plate, Sling and U.S. Breast Plate.

CAP POUCH: 1) U.S. M 1850. 2) U.S. Shield Front.

BELT: 1) Late War Leather Belt with Brass Keeper Strongly Preferred. or 2) Early War Leather Belt with Leather Loop.

MUSKETS/RIFLES 1) M1853 Enfield. 2) M1861 Springfield. 3) 1842 Springfield. 4) 1855 Springfield. No 2-Band Weapons.

SCABBARD: 1) Two-Rivet Scabbard. 2) Federal-Sewn Scabbard. Safety: Must Have Attached Finial.

BLANKET: Brown or Gray Federal Issue Blankets

TENT: Shelter Halves/Dog Tents (Of proper material and construction)

GUM BLANKET/OIL CLOTH: 1) U.S. Issue Gum Blanket with Small Grommets. 2) Tarred Oil Ground Cloth. 3) Ponchos -

EYEWEAR: No Modern Eyewear of Any Kind! (Contacts Excluded - Solution in Poke Sack).

Compliments of Chris Crabb:

"The boys of the 32nd Wisconsin had already did some fairly tight action on February 2nd(first day of RB battle). The 25th Indiana (also of Tillson's brigade) had the advance, pushed back some Cornfed cavalry in the direction of Broxton's bridge. The 32nd Wisconsin then took the advance and teamed up with the 9th Illinois Mounted Infantry to drive the Confederate Cavalry on the RB road back. Once they pushed them to the intersection of the RB/Buford's Bridge road, Tillson's brigade (including 32nd Wisconsin) guarded the crossroads.

So by the second day of the skirmish at River's Bridge, those boys had already fought some of the fights opening action. If you could find some good fairly good ground in the rear of the swamp to camp your battalion may be a good idea. Tillson's boys didn't sleep in the swamp, and this would replicate nicely the boys as they camped on the fairly good ground on the 1st day.

The second day of the battle/skirmish at RB, this was when Mower's division, including Tillson's brigade were ordered down into the swamp. The 32nd Wisconsin originally threw out three companies of skirmishers on the left of the road to the bridge. Shortly after three more were added into the mix. So these six companies were pretty much crossing on fallen logs, working their way through the swamp/river. Eventually they got across the last (of three) channels of the river, and the last three companies were thrown forward."

More to follow as it becomes available.
                              Last edited by GWagner; 06-09-2009, 01:57 PM.
                              Galen Wagner
                              Mobile, AL

Comment

Galen,

As a former PB member, and veteran of River's Bridge, I have a commitment of 15 Federal campaigners from the Acorn Boys Mess. See you in February 2010!
                                [B][SIZE="3"]N.E. Miller[/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"
                                -Marcus Tullius Cicero[/I][/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                                X