Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Federal Campaigner Adjunct @ Rivers Bridge 2010

Galen,

I had an ancestor in the 27th OVI, who was part of the flanking action on the cordouroy road at RB. Since Buford's and Broxton's Bridges were both destroyed to delay the advance of Sherman and the 17th Corps, they were instructed to lay down suppressive fire so the rest of the Brigade could cross. The 27th OVI was in the 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 17th Corps (O.O. Howard). That was our principle impression at Rivers' Bridge.

27th OVI

I would recommend Fred Polston of the PB as a company commander. Fred is a life-long friend of mine, and has YEARS of experience in the PB and reenacting/campaigning in general, as well as the RB event (he took me to RB, my 3rd event in 1989). He may be willing to do it, if Claude doesn't mind releasing his Sgt. Maj. for the weekend. Please Claude? For one event?
    [B][SIZE="3"]N.E. Miller[/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"
    -Marcus Tullius Cicero[/I][/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Galen,

PM Sent, we have our 20 rifles. Some of the boys from the 9th OVI are consolidating with us. Just let us know what our company designation will be.

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"

Comment

Updated Command Structure

Co A. - Captain-Andrew Potter; 1st. Sgt.-Nick Miller (Ohio Company)
        Co.B - - Captain Andy Redd (Alabama Company/Color Company)
        Co C. - TBD (South Carolina Company)
        Co D - TBD

I am shooting for each company to have 25. If you want to register and are not affiliated with one of these companies, I will fill in where necessary.

If you are interested in raising Company D and commanding it, please contact me.

galen.wagner@dps.alabama.gov
        Galen Wagner
        Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Galen,

I know it's been YEARS since I've been to RB, and have done the march. I'll be in SC several times between now and December. We should get together and cover the route with Randy this fall. Just a thought.

Comment

Galen,

It may seem a bit to soon to push the issue, but I know there has been a push for a c/p/h element at "The Columns" in Florence, SC. Could there be a chance that we could raise a battalion for that event as adjunct? Perhaps the same boys from RB can go down the next month in March?, then do the LBL event-Backwater 1865 to complete Sherman's Carolinas Campaign. It would be nice. Bummers, Ft. McCallister, Rivers' Bridge, Columns, and finally Backwater 1865. Like Bill said....it would be nice.

Here's the info from the 23rd SC website:

The Skirmish At Gamble's Hotel depicts an encounter that occurred on March 5, 1865 when 500 federal soldiers, under the command of Colonel Reuben Williams of the 12th Indiana Infantry, marched into the Florence area to destroy the railroad depot. These federal troops were met by a group of Confederate soldiers who drove them away with the help of 400 reinforcements from the area home guard.

The Columns is a popular name for The Harwell House at Rankin Plantation, a beautiful antebellum home that dates back over 100 years. The name refers to the 22 Greek style, Doric columns that surround the home on three sides.
            Last edited by Mudslinger; 07-28-2009, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Are you trying to get me beat up?:tounge_sm

Ok...I just had a organizational meeting with the powers that be.

We have setup a isolated campsite Friday night...with ration issue, and adundant firewood and water, then a Saturday dawn 5-7 mile March directly into the skirmish at the event site.

Best part, only pavement we have to touch is to cross one road. The march will be on pig trails, and through woods the entire way.

More to follow...look for a registration form soon.
              Galen Wagner
              Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Beat up? Naw, not at all.....they don't whip boys from Bama in the Lowcountry, just the ones who''ve moved up North. The march sounds great! Any details on the ration issue yet? Is it still just coffee and beans, or did you add to it?

Comment

I can't do two events that far south in such a short time, unless I hit the lottery by then.
                  Respectfully yours,
                  Andrew Jarvi
                  [URL="http://darbycreekboys.webs.com/index.html"]Darby Creek Boys[/URL]

Kamfet brav fur Freiheit und Recht

Comment

I have finalized planning for the march portion of the Rivers Bridge event with the hosts. I have asked the event staff that this march be reserved for the Adjunct Bn. only, so our experience can be top notch. It is unbelievable how cooperative and supportive they are being with our efforts. Thanks to Rick Davis for that.

We will camp Friday night at a site down the road from the event site (The Boyer home site). Water, and wood will be plentiful. It is very isolated, and there should be minimal modern intrusions. Everyone will be ferried out to this site from enactor parking. This is where I plan to do the ration issue of at minimum crackers and bean coffee either Friday evening, or first thing Saturday morning. I will try to incorporate slab bacon with 5 lbs issued per company. Pete Paolillo will being baking and issuing the crackers, and will serve as the Bn Quartermaster Sgt for the weekend if he chooses…or after the ration issue a slacker private.

We will wake up before the rooster Saturday morning, and march about 5-7 miles down mostly pig trails through completely wooded areas. The only pavement should be a road crossing. I expect the march to take about 3 to 3 ½ hours. We will come into the event site from the low area, and move directly into light skirmishing. This will go on until the battle Saturday. We will then move into bivouac for Saturday night.

Skirmishing will commence just after church call and the State Park memorial service Sunday and continue until the battle that afternoon. I would implore all who plan to attend not to leave early Sunday. If necessary, plan to spend Sunday night and make your drive Monday. The event host has offered for anyone needing to make a long drive to camp Sunday night. I plan to do this more than likely.

I have a Bn staff, and two companies solidified. The goal being four 25 man companies, I need two company commanders. I expect the Ohio and Alabama companies to fill up rather quickly. I plan to fill the companies based on geography. I need a SC/Georgia commander to place folks from those areas with. The forth company will simply be filled with straglers from wherever they register from...Tenn, etc.

If anyone is interested in commanding either of these companies, with minimal logistics on your part other than spreading the word to folks who may want to fight behind you, please let me know.
                    Galen Wagner
                    Mobile, AL

Comment

So, what's the historic impression for this...what's the background of the action taking place??

Paul B.
                      Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                      (Loblolly Mess)
                      [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                      [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

On February 2, 1865 a Confederate force under Lafayette McLaws held the crossings of the Salkehatchie River against the advance of the right wing of Sherman’s Army. Federal soldiers began building bridges across the swamp to bypass the road block. In the meantime, Union columns worked to get on the Confederates’ flanks and rear. (March based on this movement) On February 3, two Union brigades waded the swamp downstream and assaulted McLaws’s right. McLaws retreated toward Branchville after stalling Sherman’s advance for only one day.

Our action, as stated, will surround the activities of the 32nd Wisoconsin Infantry of which I have collected a good bit of info. The camp Friday night will replicate the "good ground" on which they camped day 1, and then the march into the swampy area, and Saturday night campsite will replicate the 2nd days bivuac.

If you need further info, please check out http://www.riversbridgefedbn.webs.com
                        Galen Wagner
                        Mobile, AL

Comment

From an earlier post:

We will portray the men of the 32nd Wisconsin, Third Brigade commanded by Col John Tilson.

http://www.civilwaralbum.com/misc7/riversbridge1.htm

Comment

I will be commanding Co. D at this event. Ross Lamoreaux will be 1st Sgt.

I would appreciate others who would like to see SC in the winter to come along and sign up for the company.
                            Michael Comer
                            one of the moderator guys

Comment

Mr. Comer, I will be honored to be in your company Sir!..since I will probably will be driving with the 1st Seargent up to RB :D
                              [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                              ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Register via paypal

I am now accepting paypal for registration.

http://riversbridgefedbn.webs.com/registration.htm
                                Galen Wagner
                                Mobile, AL

Comment

Working...
                                X