Want to build a fort?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to build a fort?

Background - New Madrid, Missouri had two Confederate fortifications constructed in 1861 to defend the Mississippi in conjunction with Island No. 10. Ft. Thompson, the larger of the two was located near present day downtown New Madrid.

There has been talk of reconstructing the fort near where it originally was located. The river took out the original location so there is no way it can be put there but would be on the river and almost within throwing distance of the original spot. The City of New Madrid has expressed interest when approached by a local fellow who would like to see the replica made.

The Idea - Have an event in 2010 where reenactors would actually rebuild the fort - or as much as we could get done. We know the shape and size of it. I envision a possible 4 day event. Those who could be present for the whole event would do a lot of the manual labor during the first part of the time frame. Those who could only attend during the weekend could spell the men who had been slaving away earlier in the week while they pulled guard duty and rested. This could be held in August when the fort was actually being constructed but the heat and skeeters at night would be pretty bad - authentic however.:) If August won't work due to the misery factor, it could be pushed back to Sept. or Oct. since work was still going on at that time. If several hundred people attend, we could get a lot done.

What I Need - I need to know the level of interest. Not the 'sounds great, I'll think about coming' or 'good idea - I wish I could make it' interest but the "Yes, I would definitely be there unless major catastrophes get in the way" level of interest. I will approach the city if there is enough interest level expressed in the next few days to give me an idea of whether this is doable. I think it is and I also think that if the city buys into it we will receive excellent support for the endeavor. But I don't want to approach them and make a pitch if it doesn't look like there will be enough reenactor support to make it happen.

I also think a good civilian contingent would be possible since the townspeople were very supportive of the Confederacy and would have had an inherent interest in what was going on in the area.

This will tie in nicely with making New Madrid's role in the war better interpreted and would add a nice visitor attraction for the 150th anniversary.

I know there have been other events where existing forts were repaired etc. but this would be building a replica from the ground up just as the men did in 1861.

So - what do you think?
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Re: Want to build a fort?

Interesting and fun! Where is New Madrid located in conjunction to St. Louis?

The Mad Mick!
    Jeremy G. Richardson

Preserving History by Recreating the Past!

Comment

New Madrid is at the top of the Bootheel - about 2.5 hours south of St. Louis and about 2 hours north of Memphis.
      Michael Comer

Comment

I'd be there for at least a weekend.
        Mark Krausz
        William L. Campbell
        Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
        Old Northwest Volunteers
        Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

I'd be very interested. I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but for us guys on shift work it's hard to schedual vacation 2 years in advance as opposed to the, allways off on Saturday & Sundays bunch.

None the less put out some dates, I'll definitly commit. That sounds like a blast!
          Regards,
          [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I]J.L. Hurst[/I][/FONT]

[B][FONT="Arial Black"]Independant Rifles[/FONT][/B]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I]Like vandals of old through our land they did ride
          With Hunger and Death always close by their side.
          Came Terror, his herald - but the wailing comes first . . .
          We know he is coming, That demon called Hurst[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I] Who ate my Nutter Butter!?!? Said the angry yet still hungry fellow from Gulf Port[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

Comment

sounds like a fun trip to travel for. i'd be for it.
            Jason David

Peter Pelican
            36th Illinois Co. "B"
            Prodigal Sons Mess
            Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

I've got tools itchin' for some more period use! Do you have any drawings of the original fort (or pictures for that matter)? That way we know what we're up against. If you get me a date, I'll put it on my calendar and come- fo sho!:D
              Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
              WIG/GVB
              In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Jeremy,

Your answer is good enough for me. I know you'll stand by your word if you can.

Chris,

I believe I can get my hands on the specs and copies of the plans pretty easily.
                Michael Comer

Comment

Mr. Comer if we can make this happen then I will certainly be there for this. New Madrid is a great little town and I had a load of fun at the LH earlier this year. Just imagine a LH in a fort we built!!

Comment

Michael,

I have a little experience rebuilding forts.

I think this is a GREAT idea…if you can sell the idea to enough re-enactors to MAKE them WANT to participate, sweat, develop blisters, and generally wear themselves out over a four day event. The event would be about building a fort, but there has to be more depth to it than that to get a LARGE group of WILLING soldiers to participate.

And, if you want to make any headway on actual construction you will have to do it in the fall of the year. We worked on Ft. Granger in early May and the heat almost got the best of us at that time.

Finally, be mindful of how much work 200 men can do in a day of hard labor AND historic proportions for earthen fortifications – NOT what reenactors think of “earthworks.” At Granger we had 90 men working in rotations, so we effectively had about 30 men moving dirt at any given time ALL day. Thirty men, working all day – effectively 240 man hours of labor – managed to move and compact enough dirt to fill an hole approximately 10x20x8 feet (59 cubic yards).

Again, this is a GREAT idea and one that I would gladly participate in, just be mindful of what 200 reenactors can and cannot do in the course of four days.

Please do not take this the wrong way. I am a FIRM BELIEVER in How do you eat and elephant (build a fort)? One bite (shovel) at a time! This CAN happen!
                    PATRICK CRADDOCK
                    Prometheus No. 851
                    Franklin, Tennessee
                    Widows' Sons Mess
                    www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

Patrick,

I appreciate your insight. I know that we would not build the whole thing in 4 days. They didn't get that done and they had a lot more men than we would have. But, perhaps we could do a wall, a gun emplacement etc. Or maybe revisit it over a couple of times. The city may move a little of the dirt for us to give us a headstart. That can be worked out once approval is granted.

I do agree that fall might be the best time. August here is beastly. Late Sept. or early Oct. would probably work best.

I will be attending the Chamber of Commerce Board meeting tomorrow since I am a board member and plan on going to the city council meeting tomorrow evening and pitch the idea. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
                      Michael Comer

Comment

Michael,

I'll be there. As soon as the event is set I'll set the time aside. And I'll bring Team Georgia as well.
                        Herb Coats
                        Armory Guards &
                        WIG

Comment

Sounds like a good time to me, name the dates.
                          sigpic
                          Grandad Wm. David Lee
                          52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
                          - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm in. Let me know when and I'll see what I can do to bring some chaps from the MI area.

Best,

Will
                            Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
                            Saginaw City Light Infantry
                            Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
                            Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
                            http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
                            www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

Mike,
                              I'm just up the road. Let me know when something is set in stone.
                              Thanks,
                              Matt Shomaker
                              [B][COLOR="Navy"]PVT. Matthew Shomaker[/COLOR][/B]
                              [I]Proud Missourian[/I]
                              "Here there are no forces to fight but a few hundred bushwhackers that will lie by the roadside in the swamp, and I believe they would murder Jesus Christ if they thought he was a Union man."
                              [COLOR="Red"]
                              Marmaduke's Raid
                              MSG Returns to Boonesfield Village
                              [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X