Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Want to build a fort?

Count me in.

I think this would be a great way to spend a weeks vacation. Re-building a small piece of history that in future years you can look back on, and know you had a part of? Very Cool.
    Ron Mueller
    Illinois
    New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
    Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
    Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by huntdaw View Post
      Background - New Madrid, Missouri had two Confederate fortifications constructed in 1861 to defend the Mississippi in conjunction with Island No. 10. Ft. Thompson, the larger of the two was located near present day downtown New Madrid.

There has been talk of reconstructing the fort near where it originally was located. The river took out the original location so there is no way it can be put there but would be on the river and almost within throwing distance of the original spot. The City of New Madrid has expressed interest when approached by a local fellow who would like to see the replica made.

The Idea - Have an event in 2010 where reenactors would actually rebuild the fort - or as much as we could get done. We know the shape and size of it. I envision a possible 4 day event. Those who could be present for the whole event would do a lot of the manual labor during the first part of the time frame. Those who could only attend during the weekend could spell the men who had been slaving away earlier in the week while they pulled guard duty and rested. This could be held in August when the fort was actually being constructed but the heat and skeeters at night would be pretty bad - authentic however.:) If August won't work due to the misery factor, it could be pushed back to Sept. or Oct. since work was still going on at that time. If several hundred people attend, we could get a lot done.

What I Need - I need to know the level of interest. Not the 'sounds great, I'll think about coming' or 'good idea - I wish I could make it' interest but the "Yes, I would definitely be there unless major catastrophes get in the way" level of interest. I will approach the city if there is enough interest level expressed in the next few days to give me an idea of whether this is doable. I think it is and I also think that if the city buys into it we will receive excellent support for the endeavor. But I don't want to approach them and make a pitch if it doesn't look like there will be enough reenactor support to make it happen.

I also think a good civilian contingent would be possible since the townspeople were very supportive of the Confederacy and would have had an inherent interest in what was going on in the area.

This will tie in nicely with making New Madrid's role in the war better interpreted and would add a nice visitor attraction for the 150th anniversary.

I know there have been other events where existing forts were repaired etc. but this would be building a replica from the ground up just as the men did in 1861.

So - what do you think?
      Very cool idea...!

Scope?

Any idea as to the extent of the tools needed; axes, broad axes, adzes, mattocks, picks, pulleys, ropes, shovels...etc.?

Were the walls of the fort Earthen fortifications (Earth fill, "sandbags", gabions), a Palisade, combination of these, something else...etc.?

Paul B.
      Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
      (Loblolly Mess)
      [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Yes, I would attend this for the 4 full days based on getting an actual date set for it.
        Andrew Martin
        GHTI/WIG

"Schedule... for anyone who gives a sh*t"
        150TH Manassas July 22-24 2011 (Highlight was finding a 6 pack of piss warm Old Style beer in "Tent City" for $20 bucks! on Sat. best purchase I think I've ever made)
        200th Battle of Tippecanoe Nov. 5-7 2011 (Wow.. a moving and emotional event, had our 4th US Infantry colors dedicated the right way)
        150th Shiloh Mar 30- Apr 1 2012

Comment

Michael,
          Count me in for two days .....if in the fall possibly four in the summer.
          Tim Ruyle

Comment

My mess's civilian impression specializes in digging, and this event is far enough away to plan attending succesfully (Outpost snuck up on us), so count a few more from Michigan in.

I also have a garage full of quasi-period tools; shovels, picks, mattocks, saws, etc. However, I'm afraid that some may not be period correct. Will guidelines be posted as to what types of tools will be acceptable be posted as the event draws closer?

I would miss a whole season of events to attend this one.

Thanks,
            Andrew
            Andrew Donovan
            Michigan

I think many of us get nostalgic about the past and like to think somehow that the world our mid-19th century ancestors lived in was free from many of the "sins" of our present world. Truth is, the more you study the past the more you realize that there's really nothing new under the sun. They struggled with many (most) of the same problems we do today.
            -Ian McWherter

Comment

Mike
              You know I'll be there.
              Frank
              Frank Aufmuth
              When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

I appreciate everyone's response.

I pitched the idea to the Chamber of Commerce board today who supported it with much enthusiasm. That was the easy part. The difficult part will come tonight when I go in front of the city council to pitch it to them.
                Michael Comer
                one of the moderator guys

Comment

Mike,

I am in . I will work on my comrades.

RM
                  Rod Miller
                  [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                  A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                  1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                  1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                  1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                  1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                  Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                  1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                  Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Mike,

The extreme Northwest Chapter of the Guards will arrive in force. You can count on us!
                    Rick Gath
                    First Sibley Mess
                    New Madrid Guards
                    WIG

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]Honorary Jonah for Life[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Well, the city council liked the idea and will support such an effort. They want to see some plans, cost estimate etc.

This may or may not happen because there are still some hurdles to cross, but I am going to begin working on it and shooting for an October 2010 date.

Thanks to all that have expressed interest.
                      Michael Comer
                      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Michael,

The WIG will be looking for a good event for the later part of 2010. The efforts we put forth to rebuild (in period fashion) the washed out section of the earthen wall at Granger in '06 was greatly received by all who participated. What you are proposing is on a much greater scale, and would be well worth the effort.

Please keep us advised as it may be worth us proposing this as an event for the Bn. in 2010.
                        Brian Hicks
                        Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

I like the idia. It to me would also be worth a "vacation" to go up and work on this project. Sounds like and good adventure actually.
                          Steven Flibotte
                          Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
                          Confederate Marines Company C./Marine Guard USS Galena
                          Tidewater Maritime Living History Association

Comment

Certainly an interesting event idea and one I would plan to attend. As Brian said the WIG is looking for events for 2010 and this might be one to consider if you will have us.
                            [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                            [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                            [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Sounds like a great experience. I'm in.
                              Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
                              49th Ohio
                              Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

Hi Michael,

Man what a fantastic event idea! Count me in!

Don S
                                Don F Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X