• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nominate 2010 Event Folders

I vote for Westville

Comment

Whether or not this would be deemed folder worthy, I just wanted to post it so others can see the dates.

This will be the first of 3 events I will organize at New Madrid to correlate with 150th anniversaries of said events.

Lots of civilian, militia, Confederate interaction.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

I'd like to nominate
        "Winter 63- Vicksburg February 5, 6 and 7 "
        Dennis Neal
        "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
        David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
        Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
        [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
        J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Here's what I'm seeing so far:
          ---------------------------------

Feb: 5-7 – “Winter ‘63”, Vicksburg, MS
          Feb: 26-28 - Henkel Square, Texas

Mar: 12-14 – "Backwaters, 1865", LBL Tactical

Apr

May: 7-9, Perryville Battlefield LH (Fed Inf'y, 105th OVI), hosted by the Jacks-n-Tens

Jun: 11-13, "The Fight for Crampton's Gap", Blanchardville, Wisconsin

Jul: 9-11 – “Hell in Lee County” (Jonesville, VA)

Aug: 6-8 - Wilson's Creek NPS Living History (Hairy Nation Boys)

Sep: Date Not Set – WIG/SCAR Outpost (May conflict with Westville)

Oct: 20-24, Westville, GA “Struggles of Secession”

Nov
          ---------------------
          Illinois immersion event:
          Hey Double-D… Is there any specific info, especially the date (even just month)? I'd love to see more good events in the Midwest!
          Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 06-22-2009, 07:56 PM.
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger
          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I would like to nominate Henkel Square in Texas, Feb. 26-28. It's a humble little event, civilian centered, but with the opportunity for some early military involvement. This year's scenario will be the vote for Texas' secession.

Information available at http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ad.php?t=21204 or http://www.txcwcivilian.org/henkel.html.
            Last edited by Annette Bethke; 06-12-2009, 12:43 PM.
            Annette Bethke
            Austin TX
            Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
            [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]

Comment

Dont forget about the Perryville Living history,
              Chad Wrinn

Comment

I'm keeping this post updated as new events are listed: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...371#post148371

On "Hell in Lee Co":
                Please pardon my absolute ignorance of this event!! Does anyone have particulars on this event, such as:
                • Who's the host/organizer of the event (individuals or groups)?
                • Some info on the site (public land or private, how much room, facilities available, etc.)?

Thanks!
                Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 06-12-2009, 12:47 PM.
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Folks:

First off, thanks for participating in this process. John, thanks for getting the calendar started and let me tag onto your questions/comments.

I want to emphasize to everyone here that this is only the first step. Once we have a reasonable list going, the AC Focus Group will hold a private discussion to review events individually and the schedule as a whole. To help with this process, we ask each organizer to provide as many specifics about their event as possible. The dates are very important, because we started this process last year based upon the desire to avoid confliction.

What we are looking for at the moment are the basic "Who, What, When, Where, Why's" of each event. Once we take this discussion into the Focus Group, we will most likely come back to the events being considered and ask for more information. The events that have the most specifics and appear to be the best-planned will certainly receive higher consideration.

Just for everyone's information, the AC Focus Group is made of roughly forty individuals from all over the country. These individuals were invited to the group based on their leadership, knowledge, experience and contributions to the hobby. We will make the final determinations about which six events will receive a folder.

Keep the nominations coming. I plan on keeping this thread open for the next week or so.

Thanks again for everyone's participation. Let's see some specifics so we can make the best decision.
                  Last edited by Eric Tipton; 06-12-2009, 12:41 PM.
                  ERIC TIPTON
                  Former AC Owner

Comment

We have no official events in 2010, and will support LBL, the SCAR & WIG schedule, specifically Westville. We would like support for Fort Sumter in Charleston, January 7-9th in 2011.

I have access for three Saturday only Siege Artillery Schools, but I will see how the Ebufu schedule shapes up before announcing those. I can flex around the schools, depending on interest.
                    Last edited by SCTiger; 06-12-2009, 12:46 PM. Reason: mo info
                    Gregory Deese
                    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
                    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Mr. Wickett,
                      The primary organizers at the moment are Shawn Sturgill(myself)and Luke Gilly.We have been in contact with various other organizations/individuals about getting in on the planning and attending the event.We are just waiting for some commitment at the moment from a few people.
                      The site is the original battlefield,and it is privately owned.As far as earthworks and things go,we can do whatever we want.We will probably be getting a couple of port-o-johns to set up at registration on Friday.I am not sure of the exact acrage,but there is quite a bit of land.
                      Shawn Sturgill
                      Governor Guards
                      SCAR

Comment

The property in Jonesville, around 125 acres,ones of the best sites i have seen...
                        Jesse Parsons
                        -37th Virginia Infantry-
                        -Wampus Cats Mess-
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I should clarify a point here as I read back through the thread. The membership-at-large will not vote on the final six events as we do with the cover contest. The Focus Group will simply take the list that is compiled here and begin discussions on which six have the most merit and they will vote on the final six.

I did want to open up this part of the process this year, because it gives everyone a chance to openly discuss what they have had their eye on for next year and start thinking about it.

We welcome event organizers and people interested in the events to put them out there while the thread is open.

Keep 'em coming folks. In about a week, we will determine when to shut the thread down.
                          ERIC TIPTON
                          Former AC Owner

Comment

I nominate Jonesville:Hell in Lee County:July 9-11,2010. I nominate this because of I have personally seen this this battlefield with my own eyes and it is a sight to see.When you get to the top of the hill where the federals surrendered to Col. Pridmore at that little tree stump,it sends chills down your back.I highly recommend Jonesville as it is a very historical site.I am in the Wampus Cats Mess and have seen how the senario is going to go and it is simply going to be AWESOME!
                            Charlie Newman
                            Co.E 37th Virginia
                            Wampus Cats Mess
                            Southern Guard Drum Corp
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."-Robert E. Lee

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."-Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Im all for these events:
                              Backwater - LBL
                              WIG/SCAR Outpost (early Sept)

And second the nomination for this one!
                              Winter 63- Vicksburg February 5, 6 and 7

Michael Mumaugh
                              Michael Mumaugh
                              Interpretive Ranger Mansfield SHS
                              Independent Rifles

"Fall of the Rebellion"
                              Outpost III
                              Pickett's Mill
                              Bummers

"Desertion of Alabama troops in the Civil War was a manifestation of sectionalism in the state, due largely to the prevalence of poverty"-Bessie Martin

Comment

Well, if everyone wants to nominate their pet event, I think I will submit my "Joining the 1st" for an event folder. Got nothing to lose I guess.

I think it will appeal to many who want to get a very early war feel in an area that nobody ever thinks about. Missourians seem to get overlooked quite a bit. Some details are posted in an earlier message on this thread. It would be good to have the actual numbers to duplicate Co. I at its organization plus military to represent those that had already joined in Memphis. And numerous civilians portraying local folks would be needed.

I'll be glad to answer questions about the event.
                                Michael Comer
                                one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
                                X